» «
Photo

First Game of the Year award goes to... GTA V

100 replies to this topic
Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:42 PM Edited by Vatus, 25 October 2013 - 11:44 PM.

I also want to say not only is V worth it, but Beyond Two Souls and TLOU are epic too.

I haven't played Beyond Two Souls yet, but there were a lot of good games this year. Ni No Kuni is a great game and is worthy of GoTY rewards.  Bioshock Infinite is a pretty good too, but it could get repetitive. Tomb Raider is a great reboot. Rayman Legends often get overlooked too. That's a great platforming game and boys at Sega (with Sonic) and Capcom (megaman) should take note in how to create a good side scrolling game in the modern times. Rayman Legends should get some noise for GoTY or an honorable mention for GoTY too.

RockstarFanboy
  • RockstarFanboy

GTA #2 FANBOY / Loyal R* Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:30 AM Edited by RockstarFanboy, 26 October 2013 - 08:30 AM.

I also want to say not only is V worth it, but Beyond Two Souls and TLOU are epic too.

I haven't played Beyond Two Souls yet, but there were a lot of good games this year. Ni No Kuni is a great game and is worthy of GoTY rewards.  Bioshock Infinite is a pretty good too, but it could get repetitive. Tomb Raider is a great reboot. Rayman Legends often get overlooked too. That's a great platforming game and boys at Sega (with Sonic) and Capcom (megaman) should take note in how to create a good side scrolling game in the modern times. Rayman Legends should get some noise for GoTY or an honorable mention for GoTY too.

Agree the only games I that I think should win the GOTY award is V, NNK and Tomb Raider... at least they were the only ones that suprised me this year

IceHot100
  • IceHot100

Out of Order

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:38 AM Edited by IceHot100, 26 October 2013 - 10:39 AM.

Off-topic: Best Storytelling should have gone to Bioshock Infinite. TLOU's story was predictable as f*ck. Disagree? Play both, you'll realise.

OT: No surprise here that GTA V bagged GOTY. What is the most important factor of a game? Gameplay, Graphics or Story? Pretty sure it's gameplay, which GTA has a ton more than TLOU.

If a story is overly dramatic and emotional, that doesn't automatically make it the "best story ever".

RockstarFanboy
  • RockstarFanboy

GTA #2 FANBOY / Loyal R* Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

These days "Game of the Year" just means: the only game that wasn't absolute sh*t.

not really there were tons of epic games beside GTA V this year (NNK, Tomb Raider, TLOU, Batman Arkham Origins, Beyond Two Souls, Bioshock Infinite...)

roostersrule2
  • roostersrule2

I'm Batman

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

Deserved winner.

Well done R*

CorporalBean675
  • CorporalBean675

Icaras

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

This time GTA really did deserve GOTY. How many times has GTA won this award before, hmm? Yeah, it's about f*cking time. I couldn't believe that they didn't give it to San Andreas at first, but none of the other GTAs got it either. So GTA V being one of the best games of all time no doubt, really deserved this award. I'm happy as f*ck right now :D

Enterprise
  • Enterprise

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

This time GTA really did deserve GOTY. How many times has GTA won this award before, hmm? Yeah, it's about f*cking time. I couldn't believe that they didn't give it to San Andreas at first, but none of the other GTAs got it either. So GTA V being one of the best games of all time no doubt, really deserved this award. I'm happy as f*ck right now :D

the gta series got several GOTY awards in the past (i think every game in the series from gta3 onwards)

or do you just mean that that they didn't get an award from the golden joystick awards?

CorporalBean675
  • CorporalBean675

Icaras

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

the gta series got several GOTY awards in the past (i think every game in the series from gta3 onwards)

or do you just mean that that they didn't get an award from the golden joystick awards?

Yeah, to me that's like one of the main ones. 

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

I don't agree with V getting that award, but whatever. TLOU and TellTales The Walking Dead should win every time against GTA V. I guess R* treated them right with gifts and such.

The Walking Dead game is nothing but a silly pick you own adventure game.  And im a HUGE Walking Dead fan, but the game sucks..

GTA V is the best game of the year hands down.  Anyone who disagrees has serious issues.  Just sayin'.

Erempiris
  • Erempiris

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

The thing with The Last Of Us, for me at least, is just that there is zero replayability. I LOVED the story, it was really great (albeit predictable as others have pointed out), but the gameplay mechanics weren't ground-breaking enough to justify replaying a very linear story over and over.

The whole strength of the GTA series doesn't lie in its graphics OR the story, it's the fact that you can pop the disc in at ANY time to immerse yourself into a world where you can do pretty much anything you want. The Last Of Us is linear as hell, and once you've played the story there's really no point in playing it again but to collect hints you hadn't discovered, et cetera - nothing in the story will change, you won't suddenly discover completely new parts of a great big map or realize that if you just wait a mile up the road, block it with a car and plant some sticky bombs there's no need to ensue in a risky, time-consuming and high-speed chase - et cetera. THIS is the real strength of the GTA series in general and V is no exception in delivering - the freedom you are given gives the game infinite replay value. And that's why I believe this GOTY-award is well-deserved.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

I don't agree with V getting that award, but whatever. TLOU and TellTales The Walking Dead should win every time against GTA V. I guess R* treated them right with gifts and such.

The Walking Dead game is nothing but a silly pick you own adventure game.  And im a HUGE Walking Dead fan, but the game sucks..

GTA V is the best game of the year hands down.  Anyone who disagrees has serious issues.  Just sayin'.

You have serious issues if you think that TellTales The Walking Dead is "just a silly pick your own adventure game". LOL I bet based on that remark that you haven't even played it. It is a serious contender for game of the generation, let alone, the year. Same with TLOU. GTA is all flash with nothing under the hood.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:31 PM Edited by redx165, 26 October 2013 - 04:37 PM.

yes because R* giving gifts to a website will make GTA V win in a public voting  :facedesk:

you are just making stupid assumptions and blindly hating on this game, for a reason I have yet to discover (are you PC gamer? I'm not making assumptions just asking tbh)

In a public voting you don't even need to have a good game. All you need is sheep's like you who believe the game deserves GOTY while the true gamers know this game is a disgrace to the GTA name alone. 

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• Olympics
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

GOTY awards are nothing more than popularity contests, it says absolute nothing about the actual quality of the game. GTA V is the most sold game this year, of course it takes the cake.

• ShadowDog94 likes this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

GOTY awards are nothing more than popularity contests, it says absolute nothing about the actual quality of the game. GTA V is the most sold game this year, of course it takes the cake.

I beg to differ.
2012 GOTY was The Walking Dead. COD: Blacks Ops 2 and Far Cry 3 were top sellers but still didn't win as many awards as TWD.
Anyway, I'm reasonably happy that it won. I kind of expected a new IP to win like TLoU but there's still many more GOTY's to come.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:41 PM Edited by Vooodu, 26 October 2013 - 04:43 PM.

You have serious issues if you think that TellTales The Walking Dead is "just a silly pick your own adventure game". LOL I bet based on that remark that you haven't even played it. It is a serious contender for game of the generation, let alone, the year. Same with TLOU. GTA is all flash with nothing under the hood.

I have serious issues eh?

Funny, I own it and I can easily say its a "Silly pick you own adventure game" because it is. 

After playing real time AMAZING zombie games like "Left 4 Dead 1/2" and "Undead Nightmare"   The Walking Dead pick you own adventure game is a barely amusing through its very short play time.

When it comes content, fun and shine GTA V is million times bigger and better then some pick you own adventure Waking Dead game..

People like you must have brain damage.    No sure how you think Walking Dead tell tales (AKA pick you own adventure)  is in the same league as GTA V.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• Olympics
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

I beg to differ.
2012 GOTY was The Walking Dead. COD: Blacks Ops 2 and Far Cry 3 were top sellers but still didn't win as many awards as TWD.
Anyway, I'm reasonably happy that it won. I kind of expected a new IP to win like TLoU but there's still many more GOTY's to come.

Whilst that's correct, TWD was by far the most popular game of the time, as is GTA V currently.

Calavera999
  • Calavera999

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

TLoU does not deserve game of the year. It is an amaxing story but GAMEplay is horrible. You need to have gameplay tor it to be game of the year and I'm sorry Naughty Dog but it's just not there.

I will say right now that TLoU's story spanks the hell out of GTA V's though. Easy.

GTA's gameplay is hardly perfection. In fact, there isn't much they do well, even their shooting mechanics are pretty weak. Also, this game is far too easy, and really holds your hand the entire way through. I can't believe I just collected 30 sub parts in a sub moving 2mph when all I was doing was going where the map told me. This is pretty much GTA in a nutshell.

Bottom line, Game of the Year only goes to the game that has the most hype. I agree it probably should have one technical acheivement of the year award, but not game of the year at all. The story was pretty f*cking weak and flawed. TLOU was also in my opinion miles away from game of the year. It was a pretty obvious Zombie tale, with pretty boring and repetitive gameplay mechanics. Grim Fandango beats the sh*t out of it story wise, so leave out the "BEST STORY IN THE WORLD" bullsh*t.

Konstelation
  • Konstelation

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

yes because R* giving gifts to a website will make GTA V win in a public voting  :facedesk:

you are just making stupid assumptions and blindly hating on this game, for a reason I have yet to discover (are you PC gamer? I'm not making assumptions just asking tbh)

In a public voting you don't even need to have a good game. All you need is sheep's like you who believe the game deserves GOTY while the true gamers know this game is a disgrace to the GTA name alone. 

All you do is bitch, the only problem I have with the game is lack of interiors, and that's pretty much it... which I'm hopping with updates they'll open interiors not sure though...

"while the true gamers"... I believe EVERYONE has the right to their opinion, not everyone has the same opinion as yours so get off your f*cking high horse.

Calavera999
  • Calavera999

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

And sorry, but TWD does not deserve it either. you can't just claim a game is the best because the whole world is wanking over Zombies at the mo.

Games used to be about challenge, and now it's all about story. Gameplay is still king where I come from, and it's hard to find.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:01 PM Edited by redx165, 26 October 2013 - 05:01 PM.

All you do is bitch, the only problem I have with the game is lack of interiors, and that's pretty much it... which I'm hopping with updates they'll open interiors not sure though...

"while the true gamers"... I believe EVERYONE has the right to their opinion, not everyone has the same opinion as yours so get off your f*cking high horse.

I never said everyone has my opinion. Only fanboys think I said that. I say true gamers ones that play different games and don't suck Rockstar's dick like most on the forum know what a true game is. GTA IV was a true Rockstar game. RDR was a true Rockstar game. Max Payne 3 was a causal cash failed attempt and GTA V is a causal cash success. 

They release a half finish product and I find it even more funny people are willing to accept it. 

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

Everybody that doesn't see things the way you do is a sheep. 

Konstelation
  • Konstelation

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

I never said everyone has my opinion. Only fanboys think I said that. I say true gamers ones that play different games and don't suck Rockstar's dick like most on the forum know what a true game is. GTA IV was a true Rockstar game. RDR was a true Rockstar game. Max Payne 3 was a causal cash failed attempt and GTA V is a causal cash success. 

They release a half finish product and I find it even more funny people are willing to accept it. 

Let me get this straight, you say GTA IV was a true rockstar game? I kind agree with that, but then again... THEY ARE ALL true rockstargames, and I think V is better than IV, I couldn't play IV after I beat it at all... I got way too bored but I loved the story, and the first time you could change the action and choose which way you wanted the story to go.

It was amazing for it's time, but after it was all done there was less to do than V (and I still think there should be more things to do in V then there is now.)

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:11 PM Edited by redx165, 26 October 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Anyone who jumps on board the hype train without doing research first is a sheep. Anyone who only plays one game and never tries another is a sheep for that company.

I find it funny as hell people say GTA V gameplay is good.

There shooting always sucked in every GTA game.

Driving was NEVER good in most GTA games.

Controls feel sloppy

Tell me a few things GTA V gameplay does different then past GTA games. I'm talking about just gameplay in the city ( aka Free Roam ) 

@ Konstelation GTA IV and RDR focus on the Single Player more then the Multiplayer which made the game feel complete. After finishing both those games I felt I beat the game and was in their feet. In V I'm thinking is this it? I didn't get to bond with my character at all. Ending Spoilers start: The 3 choices didn't even need to be there. 2 of them went against Franklin character. Ending Spoilers End. Lets get to both MP3 and GTA V Single Player. There is no denying that both of these games it felt that Rockstar focus more on the Multiplayer then Single Player. Multiplayer doesn't even have that much replay value after a year. Why? Hackers, lack of players, servers down. Lots of features were taken away from GTA V Single Player to make the Online feel more unique. Back a few years ago no one would ever think Rockstar would focus more on Multiplayer then Single Player which is why many feel this isn't a TRUE ROCKSTAR GAME.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

There's just over two months left in the year and already GOTY awards?

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

Anyone who jumps on board the hype train without doing research first is a sheep. Anyone who only plays one game and never tries another is a sheep for that company.

I find it funny as hell people say GTA V gameplay is good.

There shooting always sucked in every GTA game.

Driving was NEVER good in most GTA games.

Controls feel sloppy

Tell me a few things GTA V gameplay does different then past GTA games. I'm talking about just gameplay in the city ( aka Free Roam ) 

@ Konstelation GTA IV and RDR focus on the Single Player more then the Multiplayer which made the game feel complete. After finishing both those games I felt I beat the game and was in their feet. In V I'm thinking is this it? I didn't get to bond with my character at all. Ending Spoilers start: The 3 choices didn't even need to be there. 2 of them went against Franklin character. Ending Spoilers End. Lets get to both MP3 and GTA V Single Player. There is no denying that both of these games it felt that Rockstar focus more on the Multiplayer then Single Player. Multiplayer doesn't even have that much replay value after a year. Why? Hackers, lack of players, servers down. Lots of features were taken away from GTA V Single Player to make the Online feel more unique. Back a few years ago no one would ever think Rockstar would focus more on Multiplayer then Single Player which is why many feel this isn't a TRUE ROCKSTAR GAME.

I find the gameplay to be very good because I enjoy and it is fun to me. I don't care what elitist standards some people have because I get hours of fun out of playing it. I was lucky I was off the week it was released because I a barely got any sleep because the game kept me up for hours. I also have played many other games and I find this one to be my favorite.

If that makes me a sheep then baaah baaah. At least I am a sheep with a fun game in my console to play.

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Street Cat

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Many of you "Rockstar fans" actually do the company disservice. The true R* fans know what the company is capable of, and when they fall short of the standard they have built up all these years, we let it be known. GTA V is a good game 8.7 BUT this is no game of the year. The fact you call this a masterpiece and best game of all time...you sound like this is the first video game you have ever played.

You not encouraging R* to be their best. You letting them know it's okay to be substandard to the bar THEY set. YOU are bad fans. GTA V is trying to do too much. The neglected singleplayer to make a sloppy unbalanced MMO. They should focused on a complete epic singleplayer or epic balanced MMO not both,

Sorry, some of your buttholes are hurt reading this, but do R* and true fans a favor and BE A BETTER FAN.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Many of you "Rockstar fans" actually do the company disservice. The true R* fans know what the company is capable of, and when they fall short of the standard they have built up all these years, we let it be known. GTA V is a good game 8.7 BUT this is no game of the year. The fact you call this a masterpiece and best game of all time...you sound like this is the first video game you have ever played.

You not encouraging R* to be their best. You letting them know it's okay to be substandard to the bar THEY set. YOU are bad fans. GTA V is trying to do too much. The neglected singleplayer to make a sloppy unbalanced MMO. They should focused on a complete epic singleplayer or epic balanced MMO not both,

Sorry, some of your buttholes are hurt reading this, but do R* and true fans a favor and BE A BETTER FAN.

Or maybe people just have a different opinion than you. There are R games I don't like but V is not one of them. I hate La Noire though. Walking around waiting the controller to vibrate is not my idea of fun.

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:37 PM Edited by Flashify, 26 October 2013 - 05:39 PM.

The year's not over yet, and the only people that voted are the ones that wanted to make sure GTA V definitely got the award.

It should be called GOTYITO. Game Of The Year In Their Opinion.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

What on earth are you talking about?
Max Payne 3 and GTA V are both true Rockstar games, wether you like them or not.
Also, what's up with liking GTA IV all of a sudden?

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

What on earth are you talking about?
Max Payne 3 and GTA V are both true Rockstar games, wether you like them or not.
Also, what's up with liking GTA IV all of a sudden?

How are they true Rockstar Games? 

Both of these games change the way how Rockstar makes game. The focus of Online is what these games have over the other ones. I still don't like GTA IV but I feel its a complete game and not a half ass one like GTA V. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users