Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:50 AM

No In fact TLAD (2009) influenced SoA (2008) lol why? because TLAD was announced in 2006 with details and got a trailer in 2008 but was delayed and released in 2009...anyways how do SoA a Show that revolves around Motorcycle Gangs influence a game that is Heists focused?

1322.gif

But TLAD was announced in November 2008. GTA 4 came out in 2008. It probably wasn't even thought of in 2006.

warlord GTAV
  • warlord GTAV

Wizard

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:12 AM

one flew over the cuckoos nest mixed with dumb and dumber and a hint of boyz n the hood.

• saintsrow, d nice and EM_JAY_86 like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

By: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:46 AM Edited by Blood-Is-in-Diamond, 10 April 2014 - 07:09 AM.

No In fact TLAD (2009) influenced SoA (2008) lol why? because TLAD was announced in 2006 with details and got a trailer in 2008 but was delayed and released in 2009...anyways how do SoA a Show that revolves around Motorcycle Gangs influence a game that is Heists focused?

1322.gif

But TLAD was announced in November 2008. GTA 4 came out in 2008. It probably wasn't even thought of in 2006.
Here is links: http://www.gamespot....0/1100-6158823/

http://www.computera...-360-exclusive/

TLAD was supposed to be released in August 2008 one month before SoA existed and two months before Saints Row 2 was released but was delayed and released on February 17 2009...In fact the producer of SoA Mr Sutter liked TLAD so much he wanted R* to help him make a SoA game lol.

bensons
  • bensons

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

This whole series is based off one movie - Bullet. If you've never seen it, watch it - the greatest car chase scene of all time

Nah, best car chase ever is Toby Halicki original gone in 60 seconds from 1974.

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

...SO MANY BB references...

I'm not sure why people keep saying GTA 5 has so many references to Breaking Bad. The video you posted just shows some dude beating another guy up after luring him into a false sense of hope, which is common for people like that. The only reference I can pick out is that "meth'd up" mission in GTA Online where you have to steal an RV where meth is cooked, and even then, people have been cooking meth in RVs for as long as RVs and meth have been around.

-Because that's exactly what Trevor did to Johnny, only with less fist, more boot.  And a bottle to the face.  Then like Walter, Jesse and Gonzo you had Ron, Wade and Ashley standing back in horror.  It was outdoors, a clear day, blue sky, and a sh*tty little nowhere area where it happened.

-You know, with the right haircut and clothes, you can make Trevor look exactly like Walter White.

-Chef already sorta looks like Walter.

-You mentioned Meth'd up for me.

-One of the guns is an M60.  Could have been a SAW, but no, they went with the pig.

-Seeing Madrazo's ear in a bandage reminded me of when a round came through the back of the truck and clipped the top of Mike's ear.

-And then there's this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously, one of the protagonists is a METH DEALER.  Sure the references are subtle, but you just KNEW they were going to be in there, same way TLAD had a lot of Sons of Anarchy references.

FilthyEsquire
  • FilthyEsquire

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously, one of the protagonists is a METH DEALER.  Sure the references are subtle, but you just KNEW they were going to be in there, same way TLAD had a lot of Sons of Anarchy references.

I could be off on this one too, but one of the neighborhoods with the Cul de sac looks like Schraders residence.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

...SO MANY BB references...

I'm not sure why people keep saying GTA 5 has so many references to Breaking Bad. The video you posted just shows some dude beating another guy up after luring him into a false sense of hope, which is common for people like that. The only reference I can pick out is that "meth'd up" mission in GTA Online where you have to steal an RV where meth is cooked, and even then, people have been cooking meth in RVs for as long as RVs and meth have been around.

-Because that's exactly what Trevor did to Johnny, only with less fist, more boot.  And a bottle to the face.  Then like Walter, Jesse and Gonzo you had Ron, Wade and Ashley standing back in horror.  It was outdoors, a clear day, blue sky, and a sh*tty little nowhere area where it happened.
-You know, with the right haircut and clothes, you can make Trevor look exactly like Walter White.
-Chef already sorta looks like Walter.
-You mentioned Meth'd up for me.
-One of the guns is an M60.  Could have been a SAW, but no, they went with the pig.
-Seeing Madrazo's ear in a bandage reminded me of when a round came through the back of the truck and clipped the top of Mike's ear.
-And then there's this:

maxresdefault.jpg

What's that, you say? An M60 is an automatic breaking bad reference? A bandaged ear is a breaking bad reference? Some one STOMPING a person is a reference to a scene where someone PUNCHES someone? At this point I think you're pulling things out of your ass to justify why the game is like the show. And even then, those points have as much structure as me saying "there are trains in GTA 5 so that's a reference to that one breaking bad episode where you see a train in the background for six seconds.
  • Tacymist, Detective Phelps and bootswitdafur like this

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

Don't look at me, I'm not a professional video gaming journalist.

http://kotaku.com/th...-one-1398916180

Although I WILL point out one important difference.

-Walter White was a respectable high school chemistry teacher who once helped establish a successful business but that he never benefited from.  With his extensive knowledge of the process, he set out to create the cleanest, purest methamphetamine ever, Heisenberg's trademark "blue sky," in order to give people something that, while dangerous, they would only get from someone else anyway, ensuring the quality of his product and some level of safety for his customers, and thereby guaranteeing future business, with his #1 rule being "respect the chemistry."  Although his sidekick Jesse would have bouts with addiction, he himself never partook.

-Unaccustomed to violence.  Once took a beating for buying a revolver.

-Brilliant chemist.  Jesse just does the bitch work.

-Failed businessman.  Has a white collar look, but was working two jobs just to get by.

-Quality meth.  High purity, blue crystals.

-Does not use.  Gets on Jesse's case for using.

-Trevor Philips was a Canadian Air Force reject who took to conducting robbery and heists until his crew's failure at the Ludendorff cash depot.  Relocating to Sandy Shores, he set himself up as the head of his own criminal enterprise, which, despite problems encountered and enemies made, only became more and more successful, despite the fact that a lot of the meth his company dealt in was stolen from the Aztecas, Vagos or Lost MC, sold back to the Lost as an underhanded f*ck you, and that which they created themselves was cooked up in a place that Michael described as "not really a meth lab, more of a sh*thole where meth is made."

-Revels in violence.  Wakes up almost naked in a pile of dead bikers with a hangover like it's normal.

-Not much of a chemist.  Has Chef do all the cooking.

-Successful businessman.  He looks like a bum but his business could be on the BAWSAQ if it wasn't illegal.

-Bathtub crank stolen from bikers.

-Uses.  Swears by his product.  Doesn't like weed though because it makes him see clowns.

They're pretty much polar opposites.  I think it was deliberately written that way.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

Polar opposites? I'm calling horsesh*t on that one. Just because Trevor is the opposite to Walter, does that make it yet ANOTHER one of the breaking bad references? Let me guess, is Jimmy a reference to Jesse since they're both in their early 20s? Is "Minor Turbulance" a reference to that part in BB where the planes crash? Is San Andreas (which came out years before BB) a reference to it just because "Horse With No Name" is on the soundtrack?

If you're a fan of it, that's fine by me, but don't try to nitpick things to make it look like the game is based on BB. If we all did that, I would say GTA 5 is based on "New Kids" because Trevor can get a mullet and mustache.

Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Reservoir Dog:http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RO23-EthGQ4 (general crime movie)

Yes, I Michael reminded me of Mr. White and Trevor reminded me really of Mr. Blonde after the torture scene.

Carlitos Way: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=D-043a58Mgo (inspired the character of Ken Rosenberg from Vice City)

Carlito's Way actually reminded me a bit of GTA TBOGT. I don't know, maybe it was the "club"-theme.

The main characters of Goodfellas is bit like the main characters of GTA V.

Henry Hill - Franklin: A young and ambitious.

Jimmy Conway - Michael: A known criminal; he was a kind of a "legend".

Tommt DeVito - Trevor: f*cking aggressive psycho.

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Polar opposites? I'm calling horsesh*t on that one. Just because Trevor is the opposite to Walter, does that make it yet ANOTHER one of the breaking bad references? Let me guess, is Jimmy a reference to Jesse since they're both in their early 20s? Is "Minor Turbulance" a reference to that part in BB where the planes crash? Is San Andreas (which came out years before BB) a reference to it just because "Horse With No Name" is on the soundtrack?

If you're a fan of it, that's fine by me, but don't try to nitpick things to make it look like the game is based on BB. If we all did that, I would say GTA 5 is based on "New Kids" because Trevor can get a mullet and mustache.

You REALLY don't get it, do you?  Just because they don't copy Breaking Bad word for word - that would be what you call a "rip off" - doesn't mean they didn't add a bunch of subtle BB references throughout GTAV.  As I'm sure they never referenced Scarface in Vice City.  Or Menace 2 Society in San Andreas.  Or The Sopranos in Liberty City Stories, Miami Vice in Vice City Stories, Sons of Anarchy in The Lost and Damned, or anything else.  Oh, right.  They did.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

They mentioned Scarface in Vice City, that's true. The points you're bringing up, however, are pretty silly, such as comparing that video of that dude BEATING someone up to Trevor STOMPING Johnny. So I guess if I see a car axle get welded off in a cutscene in GTA 6, that's obivously a reference to that scene from American Graffiti where the rear axle of a cop car comes off.

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

They mentioned Scarface in Vice City, that's true. The points you're bringing up, however, are pretty silly, such as comparing that video of that dude BEATING someone up to Trevor STOMPING Johnny. So I guess if I see a car axle get welded off in a cutscene in GTA 6, that's obivously a reference to that scene from American Graffiti where the rear axle of a cop car comes off.

It wasn't the WAY he did it, it was just WHAT he did.

A psychotic killer meth dealer launched an unprovoked attack on an unarmed baldheaded victim that he lured into a false sense of security that resulted in his death while three people stood by watching in horror, under a clear blue sky in a sh*thole out in the middle of the desert.

Now did I just describe a scene from Breaking Bad or a scene from GTAV?

Bat Guano
  • Bat Guano

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

Bitch please

Madrazo's ear bandage is a obvious reference to Van Gogh

also: both Breaking Bad AND GTA V have characters in wheelchairs. Coincidence? I don't think so.

• universetwisters likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:17 PM Edited by universetwisters, 10 April 2014 - 10:25 PM.

Bitch please

Madrazo's ear bandage is a obvious reference to Van Gogh

also: both Breaking Bad AND GTA V have characters in wheelchairs. Coincidence? I don't think so.

This guy gets it. By your logic, GTA 5 is essentially "Breaking Bad the Video Game" because...

*both feature trains as plot points

*both feature an airplane crash
*both have guns

*someone in both gets run over by a car

*the word "f*ck" is said in both

*Jimmy went to school, as did Jesse

*both feature a desert

*both feature people who wear clothes

*both feature criminals

*both feature police officers

Yep, it's confirmed. GTA 5 is essentially "Breaking Bad - the game".

• Tacymist likes this

Bat Guano
  • Bat Guano

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

It wasn't the WAY he did it, it was just WHAT he did.

A psychotic killer meth dealer launched an unprovoked attack on an unarmed baldheaded victim that he lured into a false sense of security that resulted in his death while three people stood by watching in horror, under a clear blue sky in a sh*thole out in the middle of the desert.

Now did I just describe a scene from Breaking Bad or a scene from GTAV?

Two friends have to get out of town due to threatenings of a powerful man and can't return until they obtain a certain "artifact".

Am I talking about GTA V or the SpongeBob movie?

• universetwisters likes this

ChrisMathers3501
  • ChrisMathers3501

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:56 AM

0_0.jpg

I'm sorry, what?  Did you say something?  I couldn't hear you over how Walter I am.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

The Score is another movie that seems to have influenced V. Take a gander.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

0_0.jpg

I'm sorry, what?  Did you say something?  I couldn't hear you over how Walter I am.

What a convincing argument.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

Walt a convincing argument.

There I fixed it for you. 

• Bat Guano likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

All these Breaking Bad fanatics are driving me up the wall. "HOLY sh*t THE SKY IS BLUE IN BREAKING BAD AND ITS BLUE IN GTA 5 SO GTA 5 IS A VIDEO GAME ADAPTATION OF BREAKING BAD" No it's not. Stop flipping out about that kind of stuff, you're making me fall into an incomprehensible rage.

BisP
  • BisP

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

I thought Michael was so obviously based on DeNiro in Heat?

Michael-gta-v-robert-de-niro.jpg

You know, in those long dark terrible months of 2012, waiting for GTAV info, I truly thought that Heat was going to be the biggest influence on GTAV.  But now that we actually got the story, the inspiration that I thought was going to be there, all fell apart.  :cry:

True that Michael has kind of a Neil McCauley look, but the baggage of the married lifestyle Michale came with, was completely unlike the key theme in Heat.  :bored:

And then, I am sorry to say, the "heists" in GTAV did not live up to the magic of that Heat bank robbery, and even the GTAV armored car heist was a letdown compared to my Heat-based expectations.  :/

I will say, however, that in general the firefights in GTAV and GTA0 do have some of that great flavor of the Heat shootout.  :^:

In terms of multiple epic car chase movies, I also think that GTAV / GTA0 do capture that kind of car chase and cop chase vibe very well.  :^:

Gotta agree with you here man. I was expecting a lot of influence from Heat and other heist movies. 

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Close Encounters of the Third Kind; the UFO on the mountain...

devils_tower.jpg

CyborgZombieJesus
  • CyborgZombieJesus

Red Baron of GTA:O

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:54 AM Edited by CyborgZombieJesus, 27 April 2014 - 04:00 AM.

This whole series is based off one movie - Bullet. If you've never seen it, watch it - the greatest car chase scene of all time

I think the series is more likely based on the 70s films Grand Theft Auto and The Driver. You can't say it's based on Bullet just because it has a great car chase scene. Bullet is about a cop, not some street level thug who works his way up.

Also I watched Heat recently and Micheal Townley/De Santa closely resembles Tom Sizemore's charcter in Heat, Michael Cherrito. For example he is a white, middle-aged bank robber with a wife and kids who has a similar attitude to the other Michael. However he has no ties with the FBI or WPP.

• d nice likes this

d nice
  • d nice

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:17 AM

Heat and The Score

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

North Yankton was definitely influenced by Fargo.

Here's a good article:
http://thegotown.blo...rth-dakota.html

CyborgZombieJesus
  • CyborgZombieJesus

Red Baron of GTA:O

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:17 AM

warlord GTAV
  • warlord GTAV

Wizard

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

R.I.P CHOPPER

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

Ok I am a massive BB fan, but everyone using any excuse to link V to Breaking Bad needs to screw their head on straight. I saw no references to the show at all throughout the game, and I'm fine with that.

On topic- Before the game was released I was really expecting a few Reservoir Dogs references (Trevor seemed to me to be a white trash version of Mr Blonde). And hell we had a jewellery store heist for god sake, and how many references did we get? Zero.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

What's that, you say? An M60 is an automatic breaking bad reference? A bandaged ear is a breaking bad reference? Some one STOMPING a person is a reference to a scene where someone PUNCHES someone? At this point I think you're pulling things out of your ass to justify why the game is like the show. And even then, those points have as much structure as me saying "there are trains in GTA 5 so that's a reference to that one breaking bad episode where you see a train in the background for six seconds.

Yet, this whole topic is basically about doing that, because we lack a solid statement from the writers of each game on whether X was a reference to X. This whole topic is about making stuff up (for the purpose of entertainment), so let people do it how they want. References are usually kept short and sweet in any media, because there'd be a lot of trouble if one of the games was to basically 'rip-off' entire scenes. But remember that script writers write things from their mind, and their minds are influenced by EVERYTHING they've seen, done, watched or heard. As were the minds of the people who wrote, say, Breaking Bad. Inspiration can't be reliably traced.

But if someone mentions that god damn awful Sons of Anarchy trash again with it's stupid stereotypes of bikers (or perhaps US bikers just really are that cheesy - same way US hippies tend to be just like a mockery of real ones), I'm going to lose faith in humanity :p It hardly takes knowing an ex hells angel (which I do) to know the depiction of "biker dude" made on that show is based on peoples expectations (and what's "cool" - but it's not, really, is it?), and not on actual biker gangs. TLAD was just as bad... it's like how a pirate was portrayed as some kind of hipster with a learning difficulty on Pirates of the Caribbean :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users