Quantcast

» «
Photo

Now that dust has settled: IV or V? And Why?

65 replies to this topic

Poll: The best current-gen GTA (241 member(s) have cast votes)

GTA IV or GTA V?

1. GTA IV (65 votes [26.97%])

Percentage of vote: 26.97%

2. GTA V (176 votes [73.03%])

Percentage of vote: 73.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

GTA V. Better missions (less of driving to point a to b), more and better features, more stuff to pay with you money, slightly improve gameplay (rolling is faster and is more useful, custuomize weapons, cover system is more useful, shooting mechanics are improved to be faster), stuff to do after you finish the game, and a bunch of neat little details are all over the place for you discover.

GTA V is what GTA IV should've been with all of its feature. Very fun. One of R* best.

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

GTA V>GTA IV

V is everything IV was and much, much more.

• Jacob-B likes this

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

GTA IV.

- Most compelling SP for its time.

- Amazing story line.

- Great, quick, simple and fun Online.

- Better antagonist(s) and well written side characters.

Cons: sh*tty missions.

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

v bec use every single feature gta 4 has is 10x better in v. So no competition there, I miss Nico though.

Lil ski
  • Lil ski

Hawai'i 5-O

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

V no doubt!

That ain't even a competition.
The only thing IV had going for it was EFLC and the PC version (Naitive Trainer, car reskins, weapon mods, Iceenhancer, etc!!). Otherwise I wouldn't gave two sh*ts after i finished the game.

Poedersuiker
  • Poedersuiker

Funny Yokel

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

Gameplay - GTA V.
Story - GTA IV.

Should add that the story of V was good untill the fib bullsh*t. :)
  • Scaglietti likes this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:54 AM

GTA IV. I've completed GTA V twice, but it makes me feel a similar way to what SA did after its first month. More features and a bigger map isn't always better.

I feel far more comfortable playing GTA IV. It feels more polished and refined. Like something R* actually wanted to make instead of a reaction to all the whining from GTA IV which is what GTA V feels like.

It's still a great game and looks stunning, but it will never have the charm, heart and soul that GTA IV has IMO.

• ThroatSlasher2 likes this

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

GTA IV

Great atmosphere

Vehicle damage

Vehicle physics

More weapons hidden on the map

Friendly NPC's

Give money to homeless people

Better songs on the radio - my own opinion

Bowling

Armour doesn't reduce with physical damage

Vigilante missions

Police database

GTA V

Vehicle customisation

Protag customisation

Weapon customisation

Big map

Underwater

Hunting

Weapon wheel

Hot looking Prostitutes

Tennis

Fun story missions

Unlimited Taxi missions

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

GTA IV. I've completed GTA V twice, but it makes me feel a similar way to what SA did after its first month. More features and a bigger map isn't always better.

I feel far more comfortable playing GTA IV. It feels more polished and refined. Like something R* actually wanted to make instead of a reaction to all the whining from GTA IV which is what GTA V feels like.

It's still a great game and looks stunning, but it will never have the charm, heart and soul that GTA IV has IMO.

Yeah seems as tho a lot of features in V are just there to please those who whined about IV. For example, you can change haircuts or put tattoos, but it's not really that developped compared to SA or Saints Row. It's like Rockstar said '' Alright Alright, you want haircuts ? Here. You want tattoos ? Here you go. You want vehicule customization ? Alright here it is... NOW SHUT UP ! AND GIMME YOUR MONEY !

GTA V doesn't seem like a game Rockstar wanted to do. It doesn't seem like it was the direction they were planning GTA to go after IV.

sukmieazz
  • sukmieazz

Put out to pasture

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:09 AM

V. The world is more alive, the multiple protagonists are a good idea, the story and missions are great, there are animals, etc.
IV is awesome, but V is an impossibly great game.

iKevhawk
  • iKevhawk

Street Racer

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:13 AM

Gameplay - GTA V.
Story - GTA IV.

Should add that the story of V was good untill the fib bullsh*t. :)

Pretty much this. I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

The story line felt so good and they just kind of dropped the ball at the FIB part. GTA IV had a far more compelling story, and not only that, but it was dark.

I still voted GTA V though for the gameplay and online.

matt_be
  • matt_be

Driver.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:17 AM

For me its GTAV for singleplayer. No doubt. But for multiplayer, it has to be IV for me. I just haven't been able to have nearly as much fun in GTA Online as I was able to when I played GTA IV/TBOGT multiplayer.

Hopefully when Rockstar makes Online useful and adds new modes that will change.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:29 AM

V is better than IV in short

jmack3d
  • jmack3d

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:56 AM Edited by jmack3d, 26 October 2013 - 04:57 AM.

I have to vote for V. Not gonna lay out all the same reasons that have been stated a million times on the forums. For me, I simply had to ask myself which game has held my attention more. GTA V wins for me, I just love the variety, I do like the golf and tennis ect.. it captures the socal atmosphere. GTA IV was NYC which translated to a darker more corrupt city. V is tropical but still incorporated the countryside. I lived in San Diego/ LA for 6 years and I gotta tell ya, R* nailed it.

I like customization and for the love of god it has GTA Online!!!
  • Jacob-B likes this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

IV. They downgraded so much sh*t it's not even funny. Physics, interiors, ped damage system, parkour, humor, etc.. They also have more sports than actual criminal activities in V. Instead of fight clubs, drug dealing, house burglaries, ped muggings, poker, and kidnapping they have yoga, tennis, darts & triathlons. Sure, they have a bigger map and better graphics (RDR still has better graphics though), and a better selection of cars, but this is expected for a 2013 game. Even the story is sub-par in this.

I hate to burst your bubble, but RDR does not have better graphics, the graphics in GTA V is about the same as RDR but in modern times.

GTA V technically has better graphics (at least on ps3). I've noticed the resolution is improved, might be 720p this time around.

Slowthrill
  • Slowthrill

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Easy 5.

Much more then 4

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

Its intersting about the inconsistency you're all talking about.

Aaron grabutt said. They decided to put the developers not in a certain spot, but too move everyone around the map working on different things. 

To give me people more of a challenge, and because people have their pro's and weakness's. So what you should of been left with was a consitency of quality. Rather than pockets of excellence. Which i think showed. 

Wylight
  • Wylight

GTA4Life!

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:36 PM Edited by Skizzo45, 26 October 2013 - 05:38 PM.

IV had better story, characters, more realistic damage and collions, a more realistic game in overall. V only wins on graphics, the size of the map which is actually too full of empty mountains but whatever and some upgraded features. The story is the worst that GTA has ever seen, nothing interesting about it and the mini-games....well I have nothing against golf or tennis but yoga is a complete joke and there is no activity that fully takes advantage of the map, and what the game has to show and offer, no real illegal activities and sh*t like gang wars or house burglary. There is nothing about V to be able to say that it takes the series to a whole new level like IV, III and SA did, we will probably see that in GTA VI on PS4 and Xbox1

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

V. Easily. 

On a scale of things to do, V is a 8.5 and IV was a 5. 

Don't get me wrong, I consider the whole package of IV to be an 8 (V a 9), but it got really boring after beating the story, whereas V is so huge with such a huge selection of things to do that once you get bored with something, you have countless options to keep you occupied long enough that when you get bored of them, you can go back to the first thing like its brand new.

livejoker
  • livejoker

Look Deep In My Eyes As I Touch You

• Van Society
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:04 AM Edited by livejoker, 27 October 2013 - 11:13 AM.

I'll probably be in the minority about this but it's gotta be GTA IV for me. Don't get me wrong, I love GTA V! I spend every day I can on it (which is pretty much every single day...*sigh* I need a job) and it's a fantastic game but the game that got me into REAL gaming was GTA IV. Before that, I would dabble on GTA 3, VC and SA mostly but I wasn't serious about gaming mostly because I was kid/teen and wasn't really in the gaming mindset. I played GTA as a kid and grew up with them so it was natural to me to get GTA IV when it came out. I still remember the night I rented it and loved it so much I bought it within that week. The graphics, driving, shooting, story was amazing but then you go online and forget single player. Meeting my friends online, griefing people, making buddies...I will say it here: GTA IV freeroam, no cops, noon, sunny, friendly fire off, airport, rocket launchers only: best game mode ever.

I think my vote is due to nostalgia. I listen to songs in GTA V on my MP3 and I just want to play the game so nostalgia is sort of kicking in (if you can call it that despite being very early to say nostalgia) but GTA IV just does it for me. Come to think of it it was my first real Xbox 360 game. I don't even own the games I used to own prior to 2008.

Good topic :) Nice to see all those opinions and points.

*Edit* killahmatic (above) brings an interesting point (DLC), if R* made DLC right now for GTA IV, I will absolutely ditch GTA V, buy that DLC and go play it. Oh, and I also hate Trevor. You know what I'm talking about. ;)

*Double Edit* GtaForums is now mostly composed of threads that whine about GTA V. Anyone remember the forums when GTA IV game out? Everyone complained. ''Sa was better, where the bikes at? CJ is somewhere! no cool cheats'',etc. Call me a fanboy but I love whatever R* do. I see the bigger picture and enjoy the stuff they make. I buy it with my money and it was worth every penny. Granted, the servers acting up in the first 2 weeks might of changed a few peoples opinion about the game because some people get the game simply for Online. I think rephrasing your topic to Single Player or to Online, you'd get a more precise response. So far, though, all seem to lean for GTA V so that's good.

GTARandom
  • GTARandom

Unfortunate piece of meat

• Feroci
  • Croatia

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

GTA IV because it's out on PC, and as long as V isn't out on PC, IV is better to me

Nemesis2252
  • Nemesis2252

Arch Enemy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

multiplayer wise, GTA IV all the way. it didnt have as much, but it was funner. i dont particularly know why, but it was. i played GTA IV from launch until GTA V came out and it never really got boring. not even a month into V's multiplayer and im already bored.

• DeafMetal likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:59 AM Edited by Official General, 27 October 2013 - 12:30 PM.

Honestly ?

I'd say that GTA IV and GTA V are more or less even matched. They both have a near equal amount of pros and cons in comparison to each other. That's a loss on V's part - it should have been better than IV, not on the same level. I just don't think V maximized it's full potential to be regarded as the best GTA title to date, or anything close to it. 

GTA IV

* Better main storyline

* Better protagonist (Niko). 

* Better antagonists.

* Better side missions and more of them.

* Longer single-player campaign. 

* More accessible interiors. 

* More realistic driving.

* Better gunshot sounds and effects. 

GTA V

* Better graphics and visuals.

* Bigger map.

* More mission variety in the main storyline.

* Business/Property Management.

* Stocks and shares system.

* More and better random events in the streets. 

* More stuff to spend your money on.

* Better soundtrack. 

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

RDR > GTA V > GTA IV

Peregrin Brandytook
  • Peregrin Brandytook

One Ring to rule them all.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:06 PM Edited by gtafan899, 27 October 2013 - 12:06 PM.

GTA IV>GTA V

RuiRuichi
  • RuiRuichi

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:15 PM Edited by RuiRuichi, 27 October 2013 - 12:30 PM.

How has the dust settled when DLC isn't even out for GTA V yet. Hell it isn't even out for the PC yet.

GTA V

• Playing time 96:00:00 + (100% Completion)

GTA IV:

• Playing time 45:35:00  (100% Completion)
  • Longest non-stop game 04:01:17

I think it's pretty obvious which one is better for me.

• DeafMetal likes this

KurtG85
  • KurtG85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

5 is better than 4 in most ways.  I don't remember the music well from 4 but 5's music is definitely horrible and I also never recall the humor/charm of the radio and pedestrians being any less bland and unfunny.  I used to be constantly laughing at the banter in every game before 4.  However in the core of the gameplay: the driving, 5 majorly drops the ball.  You have this amazingly gorgeous game world and then as soon as you mash the gas pedal and turn you are kicked out of your suspension of disbelief by the bland boring physics.  There is just 0 challenge, 0 adrenaline.  There needs to be a hell of a lot more wheel spin, aka drifting. Balancing the rear end of a car is the essence of adrenaline (aka fun) but the grip is way too sticky as to make it just boring.  YOu have more eye candy and cooler toys (jets etc.) in 5 but any non fanboy can easily observe that the core gameplay of driving gets boring much, much sooner than 4 due to its lack of challenge.   The online missions are boring and uninspired and the whole online mode is obviously glitchy as hell and broken from day one in terms of balance.  5 is still an overall great game but I was expecting a hell of a lot more and sadly, I'm bored with it already... the obnoxiously addictive (not in a this is so much fun way) world of tanks style level grind is the only thing that keeps me coming back to it every now and again.   

Blazevski12
  • Blazevski12

Hustler

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

IV is better then V. Niko was better protagonist then MIchael\Frank\Trevor.

Bitches_Brew
  • Bitches_Brew

Cowboy from Hell

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

GTA IV freeroam, no cops, noon, sunny, friendly fire off, airport, rocket launchers only: best game mode ever.

change the rocket launchers to all powerful weapons and i'm in total agreement. :^:

i have a few friends that bought V just for online. needless to say they never play it. :(  they are the type that buy games for online mode only and never play story mode (which is sad) regardless they all went back to playing IV because of how much V's online changed.

they need to add a classic "kill em all" freemode with no goals other than staying alive. the new so called "freemode" has been pussified with microtransactions, badsport penalties, and missions you have to do in order to unlock sh*t. :wtf:

iTruth
  • iTruth

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Niko's story is actually interesting in the whole GTA series, but I consider V's whole storyline to be better than IV's.

And besides the gameplay is much better, graphics, among other things...

V for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users