Did you enjoy the story?

47 replies to this topic
woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

I hated Steve Haines from the first time I saw him in the game and Devin did try to kill Michael's family. The other two were just loose ends that needed to be taken out if the three were ever to live in peace. Stretch kept trying to set up Franklin and Lamar and the chinese guy kidnapped Michael. 

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

I hated Steve Haines from the first time I saw him in the game and Devin did try to kill Michael's family. The other two were just loose ends that needed to be taken out if the three were ever to live in peace. Stretch kept trying to set up Franklin and Lamar and the chinese guy kidnapped Michael. 

I think I will never feel the same hatred for a character as much as I did with Dimitri and Edgar Ross. Those f*cks would get so under my skin, I would feel like pulverising my controller with my bare hands. Just thinking about them makes me uneasy.

Haines and Weston fall into the same category as Saints Row's antagonists for me. I just feel like '' Well ... these are the bad guys I guess, okay then. ''

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

That's another reason why I felt GTA V needed to be  a little bit longer. Stretch needed more screen time. And I didn't like Steve Haines when I first saw him either. His whole aura just says douche. Devin could've been greater if he had more screen time as well. But overall, I think I would've been fine if Steve Haines was the main bad guy.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

That's another reason why I felt GTA V needed to be  a little bit longer. Stretch needed more screen time. And I didn't like Steve Haines when I first saw him either. His whole aura just says douche. Devin could've been greater if he had more screen time as well. But overall, I think I would've been fine if Steve Haines was the main bad guy.

I must admit as much as I love the game it could use more. What it has is just fine but more wouldn't hurt.

Bertanius
  • Bertanius

Hello.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:35 AM Edited by -=Bert=-, 26 October 2013 - 01:36 AM.

I thought it was alright, the diversity made the missions unique, but I preferred GTA IV's dark, in-depth story more, it had more emotion, and I got more attached to the characters, especially Niko. What I didn't like is how a set up mission counted as a mission, and there were heaps of them, parking a car, buying some clothes, getting a vehicle, I couldn't count those as real missions, but I guess it was so they could increase the mission number...

Obviously it's because they only care about multiplayer, they didn't really try giving us something really in-depth, because that would have taken time... Oh well, the main characters are nice, they have their own style, but they're no Niko Bellic, the antagonists in the game felt very weak, look at Dimitri in GTA IV, he showed he was strong, powerful, and didn't care if Niko was important, GTA V's antagonists were alright, but didn't truly feel powerful, it's like one of the main characters could have said "no" to Devin and he wouldn't do anything, but they all did what he said for some reason. The other characters introduced are barely remembered, Lamar, Martin Madrazo, and others, were just forgotten about so quickly, they could have played bigger roles and made the story huge.

Overall the mission diversity is great, but it didn't have feel as strong as GTA IV, the characters and story just aren't as interesting.

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:43 AM

Despite the many negative things others have to say, I really did enjoy the story. I felt like I got to know the characters pretty well and the missions much more varied and fun than IV's.

RowanSane
  • RowanSane

SURF crew Commissioner, Xbox 360

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

I just finished a few hours ago having started on release day (80 hours, 85%, option C) and I really enjoyed it. The interplay between characters worked well for me. Michaels story around his family developed nicely, Trevor's felt the least finished but given his nature that kind of makes sense. Franklin lost direction after he moved but again that made sense to me - he thought he knew where he wanted to go but really he only knew what he wanted to get away from so or a while he was kind of drifting. Then the ending brings him back to deciding what is really important to him. I've said elsewhere that I would've left Lamar at the sawmill if it was an option but after the ending I'm glad it wasn't. There is a depth to that friendship that I hadn't really felt until then.

Now, I shift focus more to online, mixed with hunting for parts and scraps; races; shooting range; assassinations; jumps, bridges, knives; the flight school graduation; and the last triathlon for 100%. Then another play through to try the other heist options. Also finally finishing IV and a proper look at the Episodes...then I finally buy Far Cry 3 and Dishonoured. Next gen? What's that?

Smackcat
  • Smackcat

Never Quit!

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

...No where near as engaging as GTA IV IMO.

leaving-now.gif

HVS5b
  • HVS5b

Just this dude...

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

Thought the story was excellent, I've seen many movies less involving.

Mike was a character, Trevor mentalness defined but Franklin was pretty dull for a hood. Suppose it gave a little balance tho.

My gripe is that it was just far too easy and short. Kinda thought I'd be on it for months but finished after a week, now going for the 100%

Von_Von
  • Von_Von

Vercetti lives!

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:03 PM Edited by Von_Von, 02 November 2013 - 12:03 PM.

In my opinion story mode is brutal, very good, the best story of GTA saga. GTA Online remind me a lot of GTA3, looks like we are all Claude. Funny to play, but not very engaging.

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

Not really. It was nothing like the stories in previous gta's. Nevertheless, it still made me want to see the ending. It did not bore me, but could have been much better. For me gta 5 is all about the gameplay and I think it has less story value than previous gta games.

I couldn't say that better. The character swap is overrated also imo. It doesn't add much and I lost the investment I felt with CJ or even Belic.
  • mariana_dm1989 likes this

Tefzors
  • Tefzors

Reclaimer

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

GTA Vs story made no sense at times. I'll just list a few of them

Martin Madrazo, known for being a vicious gang leader, lets Michael go with one lousy baseball bat shot for pulling down his house and totally lets Trevor go from taking his wife and cutting off his ear?

This story is way too rushed and there is no true antagonist. Who the hell are we supposed to hate the most? In Gta SA, there was Tenpenny, Vice City was Sonny Forelli, IV there was Dimitri, and in GTA V...we're supposed to hate Stretch(who we barely know), Wei Chang(because he wouldnt deal with Trevs), Steve Haines( Who we dont hate until near the end of the story) and same with Devin Westin. Not to mention that there was really only 50 missions about the actual story since about 20 of them were just random stuff and prep missions. I definitely liked GTA IVs and SAs story better.

Yeah I agree, who the f*ck is stretch, and why do we hate him?

I didn't know who he was until the finale of option C

Welcome2327
  • Welcome2327

WELCOME

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

everyone go to http://bitly.com/16zShbT

MediApino
  • MediApino

Wannabe Ace Pilot

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

I prefer IV's story, but the dialogue was easily the best yet

Machine Head
  • Machine Head

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

Better than San Andreas, worse than GTA 4.

vivalavendredi
  • vivalavendredi

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

Better than San Andreas, worse than GTA 4.

I Second this

Reedseed12345
  • Reedseed12345

resovior mugs

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

I don't think franklin was useless he was a big mediator in the storyline between Trevor and micheal

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

GTA Vs story made no sense at times. I'll just list a few of them

Martin Madrazo, known for being a vicious gang leader, lets Michael go with one lousy baseball bat shot for pulling down his house and totally lets Trevor go from taking his wife and cutting off his ear?

This story is way too rushed and there is no true antagonist. Who the hell are we supposed to hate the most? In Gta SA, there was Tenpenny, Vice City was Sonny Forelli, IV there was Dimitri, and in GTA V...we're supposed to hate Stretch(who we barely know), Wei Chang(because he wouldnt deal with Trevs), Steve Haines( Who we dont hate until near the end of the story) and same with Devin Westin. Not to mention that there was really only 50 missions about the actual story since about 20 of them were just random stuff and prep missions. I definitely liked GTA IVs and SAs story better.

Yeah I agree, who the f*ck is stretch, and why do we hate him?

I didn't know who he was until the finale of option C

Stretch was the guy that kept setting up all those bad deals with Franklin and Lamar. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users