Did you enjoy the story?

47 replies to this topic
The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Save it for a rainy day

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

I felt like Rockstar took an interesting approach to the story in GTA V. In fact it's my favourite in the series
Why? Well to start off its brilliantly written IMO. From the first moment you step into Los Santos as Franklin to the mission when you return back to
Spoiler
I found myself thoroughly enjoying the dialogue and the special moments.
The rivalry in the game is spot on. I love how Michael is caught in a hatred triangle between Devin, Trevor and Steve who all hate each other.
Unlike the other GTA's I felt this could pass as a movie if you took out a few missions. It's paced very well and while its short, if it dragged on any longer it would turn very bland.
So what are your thoughts on the story? Love, Hate it, or haven't got into it?

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:11 AM Edited by mariana_dm1989, 25 October 2013 - 09:18 AM.

Not really. It was nothing like the stories in previous gta's. Nevertheless, it still made me want to see the ending. It did not bore me, but could have been much better. For me gta 5 is all about the gameplay and I think it has less story value than previous gta games.
  • vivalavendredi and ChillerVapes like this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Very much so. Different from other GTAs but still enjoyed it.

ColePhelps27
  • ColePhelps27

Prankster

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

It was reasonable. Better written than IV I thought.

But it was too short and Franklin was a pretty useless character.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:18 AM Edited by spamtackey, 25 October 2013 - 09:19 AM.

--MINOR SPOILER WARNING---

Michael's story is brilliant. He goes through his middle age and it's wonderful to see him acting out and coming out of retirement while figuring out what he really wanted to do with his life. (Something he should have been doing when he first got to Los Santos). 

Trevor is equally brilliant in that he's basically what the player of GTA would be like in real life. He can do rampages and wake up drunk, wear dresses, and follow a guy on a scooter shouting "SCOOTER BROTHER!" and it all feels perfectly natural. He has this loneliness to him as well in that every friend he has is forced. Michael was one that wasn't forced but Michael abandoned him to seek a better life. You can see how much his desire for his one true friend conflicts with his hatred of that friend for leaving him. You can see how he can't bring himself to hurt Michael but how he can still get completely pissed off and upset at him. You can see Trevor's pride coming into play as he can't just admit that he wants his friend back. The overall story with Trevor is just amazing in my mind. 

Franklin is boring and underdeveloped and truly feels like a third wheel. They should have shown his struggle with adjusting to life out of the ghetto, show his friendships struggle with how he's trying not to be in the gang life anymore and how the gangs react as well. Lamar keeps dragging him in and complaining but then it just goes back to the status-quo and no one really cares and Franklin spends his days surfing the net, reading magazines, or washing his bike. Even worse is the mostly off screen one-sided romance they forced into his plot. Ugh. 

• MindCorrupt and PaletoChickenCapo like this

MindCorrupt
  • MindCorrupt

iCorrupt

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

I kind of agree with Spamtackey.

I really enjoyed the story this time around, although I thought the last moments of it were a bit rushed. Franklin could have used a bit more time to develop as a character especially with his transition from the streets to Vinewood.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

If you have Trevor and Franklin hang our you can see them gaining a genuine respect and friendship with each other. I wish that was more a part of the main story. I do wish they explored Franklin being caught between two worlds more.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Ice cold slavic killer

• Serbia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

I enjoyed the story the second time around, but something still didn't sit right for me. No where near as engaging as GTA IV IMO.

• KiiWiiDeee likes this

mitchskaterr
  • mitchskaterr

Gamer

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Yes, the missions were really fun! i have to say this is the first gta i completed :$.. i began playing since gta III, i was just to busy playing the fun free roam XD

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Legendary

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:18 AM Edited by tom_p1980, 25 October 2013 - 10:22 AM.

Nope.

The story was unlikable, forgettable, flawed, weak, plot hole ridden and excruciatingly short.

GTA4's storyline was depressing but at least the story and the characters had real depth to them. GTA5 could have been better, it should have been better. As it is, the script appears to have been wrote by some autistic pupils putting together a junior newsletter for their school project. The missions as they were, were fine, could have done more heists/robberies and maybe something away from the usual GTA formula of "go to here, kill/collect x, evade Police, go back to y", but its as if they never really learned from GTA4, all they did was expand on the 3 Leaf Clover mission and copy/pasted it 3 or so times and passed them off as a big thing.

Still at least it's not as bad as Aliens Colonial Marines so I guess thats something positive.

• ThroatSlasher2 and ChillerVapes like this

ChillerVapes
  • ChillerVapes

Wondering aimlessly in a cloud, look up high n I'll be found

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

★Spoilers★
The story was ok... too short imo and some things like when trevor comes into the game... the way they simply brushed off the believing Michael was dead to wanting to get back to where they left off again was quite weak and poorly scripted.

The Trevor GTA portraits would not have made friends again so quickly.

I also thought Franklin was simply added to the game so it wasn't racist. The character although was a good one was too weak and simply not needed.

One thing which bothered me the most was how Franklin gets the nice house in the the hills. Oh btw we have invested part of your payout so it doesn't look suspicious. .. enjoy your new house.

AND the other thing... Simon or whatever his name was said after you ram the car though the window that he would have his revenge... nope nothing, we don't see or hear from him again except in online.
  • tom_p1980 likes this

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:27 AM Edited by thatstupidbug, 25 October 2013 - 10:34 AM.

I enjoyed everything BUT Franklin's storyline. The real story is about Michael and Trevor: frankling is just used as a device to move forward the story, but it has almost no real personality...ok, he has SOME personality, but his relationship with his friends are so under-developed that, at the end of the game you know not too much about him. As Trevor said in one of the missions, "franklin makes us multicultural" and while I don't think he is totally fair, there is some thruth: franklin at times looks just like a "token character" that has been created just to please part of the consumers (expecially those who screams "there can't be Los santos without gang wars!!!"), but without much effort to make him three-dimensional and complex. And before you start to attack me cause "i'm a racist", think about gay tony:; he could have been just another "token homosexual character", but instead he was well written into the storyline bringing a new point of view in the story. This isn't the case with franklin, sadly.

Michael and Trevor are the two real stars of the game, and I LOVED their sections. They are far more complex characters that you can think, and the tension between them feels real at times. Sadly, there is no real resolution about their conflict in the storyline (just some random dialogue after the last mission, but I don't see them as "storyline"), and I think the last mission is where R* failed to deliver a strong ending.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Ice cold slavic killer

• Serbia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Nope.

The story was unlikable, forgettable, flawed, weak, plot hole ridden and excruciatingly short.

GTA4's storyline was depressing but at least the story and the characters had real depth to them. GTA5 could have been better, it should have been better. As it is, the script appears to have been wrote by some autistic pupils putting together a junior newsletter for their school project. The missions as they were, were fine, could have done more heists/robberies and maybe something away from the usual GTA formula of "go to here, kill/collect x, evade Police, go back to y", but its as if they never really learned from GTA4, all they did was expand on the 3 Leaf Clover mission and copy/pasted it 3 or so times and passed them off as a big thing.

Still at least it's not as bad as Aliens Colonial Marines so I guess thats something positive.

I just feel GTA V lacks a diverse set of characters. I mean to me anyway the only standouts were Lester and Lamar, but not even they were on the level of some of the greats such as Faustin, Dimitri, Sonny, Salvatore, Toreno, The Truth and so many other great characters.

Maybe I haven't given them enough time to absorb, but for me GTA V has very little character standouts.

• tom_p1980 likes this

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:40 AM Edited by Ola441, 25 October 2013 - 10:41 AM.

Would've prefer more background on the characters pasts. But I do agree with everything you said.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Legendary

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:44 AM Edited by tom_p1980, 25 October 2013 - 10:46 AM.

I just feel GTA V lacks a diverse set of characters. I mean to me anyway the only standouts were Lester and Lamar, but not even they were on the level of some of the greats such as Faustin, Dimitri, Sonny, Salvatore, Toreno, The Truth and so many other great characters.

Maybe I haven't given them enough time to absorb, but for me GTA V has very little character standouts.

Totally agree.

Look at GTA4, even the minor characters were well written and fleshed out so you either loved them or hated them, and nearly all were memorable and stood out.  I also agree with you regarding Lester and Lemar but I'd also add Wade too. Good characters that should have been given more screen time and a greater presence.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Save it for a rainy day

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Nope.

I fell in love with the characters in GTA V, just like every other GTA. (Except for TBoGT) But I feel as if they werent as fleshed out as other GTA games such as IV or Vice City.
Still, I would classify them as rememberable.

Nope.

I fail to see how the storyline is filled with plot holes and badly written? IMO I think that while the storyline did have a few space fillers, they pulled off the main plot near-perfectly.

Curlypyebs
  • Curlypyebs

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

--MINOR SPOILER WARNING---

Michael's story is brilliant. He goes through his middle age and it's wonderful to see him acting out and coming out of retirement while figuring out what he really wanted to do with his life. (Something he should have been doing when he first got to Los Santos). 

Trevor is equally brilliant in that he's basically what the player of GTA would be like in real life. He can do rampages and wake up drunk, wear dresses, and follow a guy on a scooter shouting "SCOOTER BROTHER!" and it all feels perfectly natural. He has this loneliness to him as well in that every friend he has is forced. Michael was one that wasn't forced but Michael abandoned him to seek a better life. You can see how much his desire for his one true friend conflicts with his hatred of that friend for leaving him. You can see how he can't bring himself to hurt Michael but how he can still get completely pissed off and upset at him. You can see Trevor's pride coming into play as he can't just admit that he wants his friend back. The overall story with Trevor is just amazing in my mind. 

Franklin is boring and underdeveloped and truly feels like a third wheel. They should have shown his struggle with adjusting to life out of the ghetto, show his friendships struggle with how he's trying not to be in the gang life anymore and how the gangs react as well. Lamar keeps dragging him in and complaining but then it just goes back to the status-quo and no one really cares and Franklin spends his days surfing the net, reading magazines, or washing his bike. Even worse is the mostly off screen one-sided romance they forced into his plot. Ugh. 

I agree about Franklin, they should have slowed and stretched his relationship with Michael out way past Trevor coming back on the scene.

When you switch to Franklin he could have had missions dealing with gangsters in colours fighting over territory and drugs.

Michael could have had missions dealing with gangsters in suits fighting over big business'.

Trevor could have had missions dealing with anyone who breathed in his direction.

Then they meet up to do big missions as an odd group, i think they pushed them together too early then padded Franklin out with the likes of Stretch.

i still enjoyed the game though

Tonesta
  • Tonesta

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

I thought the first third of the story was brilliant.

The building of the Franklin-Michael relationship, and Michael's struggles with his family life and his desire for something more chaotic - all leading up to the Jewelry Store heist. Then the introduction of Trevor and an insight into his (fairly terrifying) personality. And then finally bringing them all together, and ramping up the Trevor-Michael tension. All well written, and mostly pretty innovative for a GTA game.

And then the FIB get introduced and it's all a bit hit and miss from then on. 

There's some absolutely terrific moments in the last two thirds - with Bury the Hatchet being my absolute standout mission story-wise. But also a lot of fairly tenuous plotting, and a set of endings that I found fairly unsatisfying.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

The story was way shorter than previous GTA's, even though there are 3 protag's in V. The story was poorly written and didn't make sense half the time. Just not very good at all. And those ending suck hard.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

I enjoyed the story the second time around, but something still didn't sit right for me. No where near as engaging as GTA IV IMO.

I think its cause 4's story focused more on the various organize crime groups. where 5s story is more on the charcters and their personal feelings and encounters.

too me Niko's story i could give 2 sh*ts about it was everyone elses story that i loved in 4

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

I thought the first third of the story was brilliant.

The building of the Franklin-Michael relationship, and Michael's struggles with his family life and his desire for something more chaotic - all leading up to the Jewelry Store heist. Then the introduction of Trevor and an insight into his (fairly terrifying) personality. And then finally bringing them all together, and ramping up the Trevor-Michael tension. All well written, and mostly pretty innovative for a GTA game.

And then the FIB get introduced and it's all a bit hit and miss from then on. 

There's some absolutely terrific moments in the last two thirds - with Bury the Hatchet being my absolute standout mission story-wise. But also a lot of fairly tenuous plotting, and a set of endings that I found fairly unsatisfying.

I thought the story was great till the fib come into play, then from there it gets out of whack

• Curlypyebs likes this

VolkXue
  • VolkXue

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:48 PM Edited by VolkXue, 25 October 2013 - 07:55 PM.

I think 5 had one of the more engaging stories from a gta in quite awhile but it also felt like it lacked some character development.  4, was kinda a task for me, niko was a emo , whining bore lol
I think my main issue with sp V would be it being a bit shorter then previous games and the risk/reward being kinda fail for most of the game.

Killerzone121
  • Killerzone121

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

GTA Vs story made no sense at times. I'll just list a few of them

Martin Madrazo, known for being a vicious gang leader, lets Michael go with one lousy baseball bat shot for pulling down his house and totally lets Trevor go from taking his wife and cutting off his ear?

This story is way too rushed and there is no true antagonist. Who the hell are we supposed to hate the most? In Gta SA, there was Tenpenny, Vice City was Sonny Forelli, IV there was Dimitri, and in GTA V...we're supposed to hate Stretch(who we barely know), Wei Chang(because he wouldnt deal with Trevs), Steve Haines( Who we dont hate until near the end of the story) and same with Devin Westin. Not to mention that there was really only 50 missions about the actual story since about 20 of them were just random stuff and prep missions. I definitely liked GTA IVs and SAs story better.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

I Run This Town

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:54 PM Edited by Tilemaxx, 25 October 2013 - 07:55 PM.

Yes, but ending felt kinda rushed. Ending A&C were poorly written, but i guess they 're not considered as canon, so it's ok.

Α two-way ending like IV would have been more preferable imo.

Dodgers2013Champs
  • Dodgers2013Champs

Trick

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Worst gta if all time

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

Yes I did, though it's not the most engaging GTA storyline imo.

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:23 PM Edited by Vatus, 25 October 2013 - 10:25 PM.

It was solid. I don't think it was R* best story telling in GTA. The character interaction between the 3 protagonists were great and top notch. But I personally liked San Andreas and GTA IV story telling a bit better. But GTA IV story telling tend to drag.

I think R* always made it clear by addressing the acts of past GTA games. Mostly because they have the city closed off to you. Like in San Andreas, there were about 3-4 Acts. It eventually comes full circle when you go back to Los Santos. GTA IV had acts with the different level of gangs you worked with. GTA V acts is a bit difficult to analyze, and the characters needed about 5-10 more missions to be fleshed out a bit more imo. If it game had only one playable character, then it would've been fine. But since the game have 3 characters, I think it needed a bit more missions to flesh out the characters and the antagonists a bit more. though R* felt that ppl didn't finish GTA IV because it was too long.

I don't think GTA V is too short tho. Red Dead Redemption, GTA 3 and GTA Vice City had less missions than GTA V. I feel like they needed to cut down on the side missions of the GTA V to expand on the main missions just a little bit more.

Kyle.
  • Kyle.

Hello everyone! Name name is Kyle.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

The story was great for both Michael and Trevor. The fact that Trevor continued to try and search for Brad and all. It definitely felt more of a realistic story than the previous GTA titles. :)

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

*SPOILERS*

I can't believe that Rockstar, after throwing out antagonists of such quality, like Catalina, Sonny, Lance, Big Smoke, Tempenny, Dimitri, Billy Grey, Bulgarin, hell even Edgar Ross from RDR ... they give us Steve Haines and Devin Weston.

In past GTA's, you we're given the time to really start to hate the character. To let it boil inside you and to give you the envy to f*ckin rip your hair out. Did they really think the whole '' Oh no ! Devin didn't pay us for those car missions, what an asshole ! He deserves to die ! '' would make us antagonise Weston in the same way we did with Rascalov, the one who killed his best friend, stabbed us in the back twice, tried to kill us AND our cousin several times ?

Okay, i'll admit, he did try to kill Micheal's family, but for me it didn't work. They passed the last 50 missions making you hate/not care about them and now all of a sudden, you're suppose to be devoted to their survival and safety.

That's kind of sh*tty writting honestly. It's like a bunch of different people wrote pieces of the story by themselves and then glued all that sh*t together.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

i found the Storyline to be possibly the Most Disappointing thing about V mainly because i know Dan houser & Co are Capable of Writing Very Good Engaging/Memorable Story lines (IV Red Dead Redemption Max Payne 3 Tlad  ) v  was all over the Place when Compared to some Of R* recent Titles  its  still not the worst 3D gta when it comes to Storyline Though that dubious honour has to go to San Andreas IMO. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users