Three Reasons why I like Grand Theft Auto IV more than Grand Theft Aut

158 replies to this topic
TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

THANK YOU. Though I may not agree with all of your points, it's nice to see someone with issues about the game post well thought-out and reasonable arguments. *Standing Ovation*

Damn right about the lack of interiors; I wish they would have scaled back Blaine County and used the extra resources to make more interiors. There definitely could have been (and should have been) more to do in the countryside and desert; like cave exploring, having a larger forest, fishing (a HUGE missed opportunity), white water rafting.

I agree about the cops, it's horrible. I can lose a SIX STAR wanted level in GTA IV faster than I can a one-star in GTA V. Obviously I mean when you are outside their cones of vision.

• ThroatSlasher2 likes this

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

Four Leaf Clover was 100x better than any heist we got in GTA V.

There, I said it.

Don't be ashamed either. For a game built around heists the heists are unfortunately underwhelming IMO.

None of them have the raw intensity of Three Leaf Clover. Just thinking about the first time running through Chinatown with almost the entire police force breathing down Niko's neck, fighting hordes of cops through the streets and the subway with a slither of health praying you don't get clipped and having to start all over again.

That mission is honestly one of the most fond memories of this generation, GTA and in gaming. V's heists were just too silly and unbelievable (all except the jewel heist). I know rushing through a city against 100+ cops sounds unrealistic, but at least it felt grounded in reality unlike the bank robberies in V.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:20 AM Edited by The Odyssey, 25 October 2013 - 08:22 AM.

There, I said it.

Don't be ashamed either. For a game built around heists the heists are unfortunately underwhelming IMO.

None of them have the raw intensity of Three Leaf Clover. Just thinking about the first time running through Chinatown with almost the entire police force breathing down Niko's neck, fighting hordes of cops through the streets and the subway with a slither of health praying you don't get clipped and having to start all over again.
To me, The Heists would of been better without checkpoints. it really gets the blood pumping.
To me, The Paleto Heist and the Diamond Job are some of the greatest missions in GTA. Too bad they were ruined by checkpoints.
Also, The Merryweather heist shouldn't of counted as a heist.

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:36 AM Edited by Vatus, 25 October 2013 - 08:38 AM.

There, I said it.

That mission is honestly one of the most fond memories of this generation, GTA and in gaming. V's heists were just too silly and unbelievable (all except the jewel heist). I know rushing through a city against 100+ cops sounds unrealistic, but at least it felt grounded in reality unlike the bank robberies in V.

Oh my. If you think GTA V is silly, what did you think of the prior GTAs then? Like GTA: SA and Vice City?

All of the GTAs are exaggerated and silly. But at least Vice City, San Andreas and GTA V had you plan and actually prepare for the heist you were going to preform. It didn't have that in GTA IV, and I was a bit disappointed by that.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:42 AM Edited by tom_p1980, 25 October 2013 - 08:44 AM.

Whilst I hated GTA4 the one thing it did have going for it was the fun factor.

GTA5 is just devoid of fun. It's a chore.

There should be a "Classic GTA free roam" mode where any car and weapon is available (obviously not to keep), where people can turn the cops on and off and to turn friendly fire on and off. I'd happily sacrifice the ability to make money by disabling jobs/stores in that mode, thus maintaining the balance and the fluidity of the game just so I can arse about at the Airport with RPG's and have fun like I did with GTA4 MP.

Huffin-Puffin
  • Huffin-Puffin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

Obviously the map is personal preference, and the helicopter thing is retarded, there are loads more in V than IV as well as planes. But you're seriously complaining because the cop AI isn't so sh*t that you can evade them for hours with one piece of cover?

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

There, I said it.

Oh my. If you think GTA V is silly, what did you think of the prior GTAs then? Like GTA: SA and Vice City?

All of the GTAs are exaggerated and silly. But at least Vice City, San Andreas and GTA V had you plan and actually prepare for the heist you were going to preform. It didn't have that in GTA IV, and I was a bit disappointed by that.

They were alright for their time, but they don't hold up that well in this day and age.

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

GTA V would be even better if the police difficulty was the same as IV's. In fact, IV would be perfect if it had V's regenerating health feature.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

There, I said it.

You all have made valid points.

However Three Leaf Clover was better than most of the heist missions in GTA V, with the exception of the jewelry store heist, those two were on the same level. 

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

There, I said it.

Three Leaf Clover had a reasonable explanation why it didn't have any planning. It was already planned long before Packie met Niko. Perhaps one thing I must criticise GTA V of is how prep tasks are counted as missions. I don't know how buying boiler suits, masks and placing a getaway vehicle in a desolate location can justify a main mission.

Three Leaf Clover didn't waste time with prep tasks and got straight to the point.

AlmightyHabbib
  • AlmightyHabbib

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

It's funny how everyone used to hate IV and said the same negative things comparing SA and IV. Now suddenly everyone loves IV and praises it so much, while hating on V. I'll bet you when VI comes out people will be talking about how V is far superior and they loved that game all along. Some things will never change...

And your point is? I bet people were saying the same exact thing u did when gta iv came out if thats the case

And your point is? Because I bet a few "wise-guys" said exactly what you are saying. To clarify, his point was simple, people fail to appreciate the game for what it is, instead trying to dislike it for what it is not, and when the next one comes out, they will fail to appreciate THAT game for what it is, but at that time will manage to appreciate GTAV more, or other times people just get mixed up in nostalgia, either way. That was his point. Duh

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:01 AM Edited by mariana_dm1989, 25 October 2013 - 11:20 AM.

OP, just what the f*ck do you think you're doing?
This a very repitive forum topic, that has little value. if you were to actually put forward a decent argument, then maybe we could get a good discussion out of your post. But all you've done is state your opinion. This isn't how forums work! you don't just start posting your ideology as a topic, It's not a f*cking blog! your post would be more suited for the review section. Post it there, and kindly f*ck yourself.

The question is NOT what is the op doing, but what YOU are doing!!! before I joined this site, I used to browse it, and there was a person called zee. He got banned for doing the exact same you are doing, which is to rant, flame and insult people. Seems like you are a wannabe zee. OP has every right to express himself, and this forum is a place for people to share their opinions and discuss. There is nothing wrong with what OP posted. You are the problem here. Take your Jewish supremacist arrogance somewhere else. This forum is no place for immature, self-chosen scum-bags who talk to people as if they are pigs. Learn some damn respect, you disgusting human being. I bet you wouldn't be so rude to a person who indicated they were Jewish, the same way you have done with your avatar. Grow up. I am surprised that you are not banned yet.

BTW, Israel sucks. lol

Uncle Cletus
  • Uncle Cletus

IRRITABLE

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

GTA IV certainly is a stand alone game in the series. Was it the having to go bowling that you loved so much? Or was it the "love story" between Niko and that woman I dated once to progress the story but seemed to drive Niko completely at the end of the story? Because I loved that too. Or was it the pigeons we had to go around and shoot? Was it the pigeons? It was the pigeons wasn't it. I thought that was way better than hidden packages too. We all love killing birds for pretty much no reward. How about the awesome switch from accomplished actors voicing the characters to complete nobodies churning out dialogue for us to hear with our ears? I especially loved hearing that Rasta say words. Great actors are overrated.

Cool thread but it's unfortunate that your opinion is completely wrong. GTA IV was terrible. Worst game in the series. Worst story in the series. Worst list of things to do in the series.

aladdin85
  • aladdin85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

talking about israel on gta forums? fail

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

GTA IV certainly is a stand alone game in the series. Was it the having to go bowling that you loved so much? Or was it the "love story" between Niko and that woman I dated once to progress the story but seemed to drive Niko completely at the end of the story? Because I loved that too. Or was it the pigeons we had to go around and shoot? Was it the pigeons? It was the pigeons wasn't it. I thought that was way better than hidden packages too. We all love killing birds for pretty much no reward. How about the awesome switch from accomplished actors voicing the characters to complete nobodies churning out dialogue for us to hear with our ears? I especially loved hearing that Rasta say words. Great actors are overrated.

Cool thread but it's unfortunate that your opinion is completely wrong. GTA IV was terrible. Worst game in the series. Worst story in the series. Worst list of things to do in the series.

For someone who's been here since 2005 you'd think you'd develop a thicker skin to handle someone's opposing point of view instead of saying they're wrong.

Smart ass post fails hard. Try better next time. :v:

Uncle Cletus
  • Uncle Cletus

IRRITABLE

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

You need a thicker skin if my post has upset you enough to A) quote me and B) respond.

GTAIV was terrible. I'm only offering tough love and education. The modern trend of rewarding second place, attention deficit and completely wrong opinions ends today.

The_Big_Lebowski
  • The_Big_Lebowski

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Cops 'n Crooks ftw.

• tom_p1980 and ThroatSlasher2 like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

You need a thicker skin if my post has upset you enough to A) quote me and B) respond.

GTAIV was terrible. I'm only offering tough love and education. The modern trend of rewarding second place, attention deficit and completely wrong opinions ends today.

I didn't say your opinion was wrong though did I?

And by responding in that fashion just proves my point really.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Worst story in the series ? HAHAHAHA ! Alright, you made me have a good laugh .. you can go now. :)

PIOCapacitor
  • PIOCapacitor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:45 PM Edited by PIOCapacitor, 25 October 2013 - 01:50 PM.

Ok, in my continuing to grind through GTA 4 to try and understand the love, I got to the Three Leaf Clover mission last night. 

Yeah,...I don't get it. This is the great mission that everyone loves? 

You don't even do the heist,..you watch it,..it's a cutscene. 

all it is is, "Escape from the Cops", which I did on the second attempt. 

Big woop. 

Clearly that's much cooler then flying a helicopter, rappelling down a building, smashing through the window, grabbing a dude, switching to Franklin and sniping a few folks, switching to Michael and blasting a few more folks, then getting away in the chopper again? 

Nope,..I don't get it. I'm pushing through 4 because I want to finish the story, but it's a grind. The driving is not fun, the missions are not fun, the voice acting is bad, the animations are bad, Nico constantly gets caught on things so just running around can be annoying at times,.....

...I just don't get it. 

I'm starting to wonder if some of the "part 4 is the greatest" love doesn't stem from the fact that it might be some peoples first introduction to the world of GTA so it's just something loved and bonded with. 

It's not a very fun game. 

GTA 5 is fun. 

They're all fun to varying degrees,...but GTA 4 compared to GTA 5? No contest to me. GTA 5 is fun. 

I also don't get the, "more interiors" argument. 

Yup I've run through a bunch of empty boring buildings with identical staircases and gotten onto rooftops that are also empty. 

Big woop. 

I don't get the love. 

Maybe the ending is mind blowing and phenomenal and makes the whole game seem cool, ... but right now I'm just not seeing it. 

Most of the missions are repetitive grinds: Drive here, kill someone, escape the police. 

and the police are so stupid if you twitch the wheel they crash themselves.  :blink:

I'm trying hard to understand the intense GTA 4 love I've seen on the board,...but I'm just not seeing it. 

GTA 5 has fun and exciting missions that don't feel like you're doing the same thing over and over. 

Every pt 4 mission so far is: Drive here/steal something/kill someone/escape. 

repeat,...and repeat,...and repeat....

the acting, voice work, characterization, the missions,...all seem much more interesting in GTA 5

I bought GTA 4 and 5 within a week of each other. GTA 5 I couldn't put down or stop playing, GTA 4 I'm still grinding through and am only about halfway finished. 

I'm not hating GTA 4, and there are some interesting moments, but I think 5 is more fun and interesting. 

IGhostUlt
  • IGhostUlt

LSLKS

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

It's funny how everyone used to hate IV and said the same negative things comparing SA and IV. Now suddenly everyone loves IV and praises it so much, while hating on V. I'll bet you when VI comes out people will be talking about how V is far superior and they loved that game all along. Some things will never change...

And your point is? I bet people were saying the same exact thing u did when gta iv came out if thats the case

And your point is? Because I bet a few "wise-guys" said exactly what you are saying. To clarify, his point was simple, people fail to appreciate the game for what it is, instead trying to dislike it for what it is not, and when the next one comes out, they will fail to appreciate THAT game for what it is, but at that time will manage to appreciate GTAV more, or other times people just get mixed up in nostalgia, either way. That was his point. Duh

Wtf are u talking about? U guys act like everybody is doing that. What if he liked gta iv when it first came out? You don't know that so stop making assumptions based on how u feel on someone else's opinion. Like you know how people think.

Uncle Cletus
  • Uncle Cletus

IRRITABLE

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

I didn't say your opinion was wrong though did I?

And by responding in that fashion just proves my point really.

The sudden influx of mentals lately has thrown me out of my generally polite demeanor. I'm sure I'll get over it.

• Leafy Hollow likes this

Sweettooth187
  • Sweettooth187

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

San Andres needs to be restored with modern graphics and physics
So much fun having car chases with flying cars. It made my childhood awesome

Dude. AGREED! I was just thinking about this the other day. I love all the GTA games, period. However I can't help admitting (and I'll probably sound like a fanboy or something) but San Andreas was the last GTA game to simply blow me away. Sure, it was missing a thing or two compared to newer game but it still far exceeded my expectations. Couldn't believe how much they crammed into that game. Problem is, (and I normally never have this problem) I just don't really care for the visuals and I feel a little lost without the ragdoll physics.

Still love going back and playing GTA3 and whatnot but I'd be all over a San Andreas remake with GTA4/5's engine. :)

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

I love the cops in IV ALOT more then V's. They had funny lines (tell my wife i love her....), you could outrun their cars, and it didnt take 3 min to shake a 1 star wanted lvl.

.kiwi_4
  • .kiwi_4

Previously known as KiiWiiDeee

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

I found a great place to hold off the cops; On the balcony of the house where the stranger's wife is throwing his clothes off of it.      

Leafy Hollow
  • Leafy Hollow

Chief Marketing Officer for Trevor Phillip's Interprise

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

If only R* added countryside to GTA IV like they wanted too, it would be a fairer comparison. It's a tie for me mainly because I jumped on the hype train like a lot of people did for GTA V and had my expectations WAY to high (for SP more specifically) apparently.

cheetah_7
  • cheetah_7

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

GTA IV was wank. The first/only gta I have been disappointed with. Every mission was drive from A to B, and kill C. 

GTA V is very good, but not the game of the generation as many (including me) hoped it would be. 

All in all, I feel the PS2 3D era games were better than this generation. (But my opinion is perhaps biased, seeing as the PS2 GTAs came out in my early/mid teens when I was more impressionable!) 

I_AM_ALWAYS_RIGHT
  • I_AM_ALWAYS_RIGHT

I Rips that hole

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:29 PM Edited by I_AM_ALWAYS_RIGHT, 25 October 2013 - 05:29 PM.

tldr;

Then learn to read, you illiterate first grader.

wtf is tldr? i dont speak nerd fluently 

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

I like V more but it really is great to see all this love for IV. I felt very alone in defending it for five years so I am glad to see all this newfound love. I can't wait for VI to come out so I don't feel so alone in defending V.

I_AM_ALWAYS_RIGHT
  • I_AM_ALWAYS_RIGHT

I Rips that hole

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

I like V more but it really is great to see all this love for IV. I felt very alone in defending it for five years so I am glad to see all this newfound love. I can't wait for VI to come out so I don't feel so alone in defending V.

they both good. niggas is jus haters ya hurd 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users