Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is it ok to be gay in a gaming community?

73 replies to this topic
Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

Being gay in the 'gaming community' isn't really a big deal because according to a vast percentage of adolescent figures (with the occasional, 40-year old melodramatic bitch) within the gaming community, most people are gay.
  • StormerBoy likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'll start by saying that most immature jackasses that use "gay slurs" in multiplayer games are not actually meaning what they say.  That said, I doubt most of those same people are very open to other sexual orientations.  Which is why they think calling someone "gay" is an insult.

I know I'm sounding contradictory, but what I mean is, they call people who "pwn" them "gay", because they consider it an insult, and not because they think that person likes the same sex.  But at the same time if that person were actually gay, they wouldn't want to be friends with them.

Blastoise1994
  • Blastoise1994

Not your scooter brother

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

Honestly, I don't get the purpose of this thread, seems more or less like it was created with the sole intention of stirring up controversy. Would anyone really even think about their peers being gay without it being brought up like this? I don't really think so.

On top of that, I don't hate the straight man nor am I asking he repress his sexuality, but I do find it highly ironic how it's perfectly socially acceptable for people to flaunt pictures of women laying in pin-up poses, jiggling boobs and asses, sh*t like that, and yet simply clarifying that no, you're not into that, that's shoving it in somebody's face.

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:04 PM Edited by Cyper, 28 October 2013 - 05:10 PM.

Just curious to what extent all the homophobic comments made here are down to children being on this forum, or is it the adults?

If it is true to say that there is a significantly high level if homophobia within gamers, I wonder why that might be?

I would say it mostly depends on education.

It is alright to be gay no matter if it's in a gaming community or not. There is no rational arguments against homosexuality. Most of the arguments against it is religious, superstitious drivel.

The rest of it is based on pseudoscience and in general irrational thoughts.

• Blastoise1994 likes this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:49 PM Edited by Fireman, 28 October 2013 - 07:49 PM.

Look it's okay to be gay in the gaming community, but if you're going to whine and cry like a giant baby everytimes someone uses the word gay or fa**ot, you're not welcome, because everyone who games says this threehundred times a day.

fullmetal5550
  • fullmetal5550

Trick

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

Just curious to what extent all the homophobic comments made here are down to children being on this forum, or is it the adults?

If it is true to say that there is a significantly high level if homophobia within gamers, I wonder why that might be?

Because the people who insult others over their sexual preference are not comfortable with their sexuality. I think it is both kids and adults. kids trying to be cool or get attention and adults because they are either immature or because they homophobic and stupid.

There is an ignore function. I say just put all the homophobic people on there. 

fullmetal5550
  • fullmetal5550

Trick

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Look it's okay to be gay in the gaming community, but if you're going to whine and cry like a giant baby everytimes someone uses the word gay or fa**ot, you're not welcome, because everyone who games says this threehundred times a day.

How and why did those become the go to insults for people on the internet? Insulting someone's sexuality isn't even an insult. If anything it shows how stupid people are because they use those as insults instead of creating something new or different. 

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

I wonder if being a 'fa**ot' is seen by gamers as the opposite of being 'macho', which after all is what blowing sh*t up on COD or GTA is all about?

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

frycooks of all countries, unite!

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:04 AM

I wonder if being a 'fa**ot' is seen by gamers as the opposite of being 'macho', which after all is what blowing sh*t up on COD or GTA is all about?

I'd say so. Along with "bitch" and "pussy", it's often used in an attempt to emasculate people.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

forum prankster haha i prank u!!!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:40 AM

The best way to combat homophobia is to not bring homosexuality up as a problem or an indifference.

Hecate
  • Hecate

I am for the air.

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:52 AM

The best way to combat homophobia is to not bring homosexuality up as a problem or an indifference.

A problem with this is that those who would like to be louder often get heard more. This isn't a problem in and of itself -- many people have made a fool of themselves by shouting their hatred of a group of people for an arbitrary trait before. The thing is, we also have a society with an innate discomfort towards things like differing sexuality or what have you. If people who want equality for their cause remain silent, the logic behind their point -- that is, the fact that there's nothing wrong with homosexuality -- will be pushed to the sidelines in favor of whatever the norm is, on top of being discriminated by pundits and dickbags. 

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:55 AM

A problem with this is that those who would like to be louder often get heard more. This isn't a problem in and of itself -- many people have made a fool of themselves by shouting their hatred of a group of people for an arbitrary trait before. The thing is, we also have a society with an innate discomfort towards things like differing sexuality or what have you. If people who want equality for their cause remain silent, the logic behind their point -- that is, the fact that there's nothing wrong with homosexuality -- will be pushed to the sidelines in favor of whatever the norm is, on top of being discriminated by pundits and dickbags. 

I think the problem is how laws have been put into place. Like laws against race way back when. There shouldn't be any laws to do with things like lifestyle and sexual preference. Only things that can be seen as destructive to others.

Hecate
  • Hecate

I am for the air.

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:59 AM

Completely agreed. That's a more physical representation of the problem I think the LGBTQ community faces in many places. There's an engendered feeling of misunderstanding that's been manifested by laws and socially accepted behavior that fights against many non-heterosexual folks from even being together in the privacy of their own home.

Don't get me started on the issue of people who say they're not homophobic but consider PDAs inherently wrong if it's a gay couple.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:05 AM

Unless they're hurting someone, I don't see the problem in any of it, really. I guess it's people who just insist on forcing their opinions and views on people.

Also OP. Just remember, it's GAY-ming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users