Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is it ok to be gay in a gaming community?

73 replies to this topic
StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

Just curious to what extent all the homophobic comments made here are down to children being on this forum, or is it the adults?

If it is true to say that there is a significantly high level if homophobia within gamers, I wonder why that might be?

Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

No, it is not okay,

Spoiler

• Irviding and StormerBoy like this

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

lol
  • Nlwt likes this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

I think we are past the point where we can just say, "Gaming Community". There are many communities and they differ in demographics and views.

That said, I don't think most gaming communities are homophobic or immature. I would say that the biggest issue is insensitivity. Because we communicate, primarily, through very impersonal means of communication, we rarely catch these subtle cues that something which was said merely as a form of trash talk really hurt somebody. Hence the significantly higher frequency of homophobic or racist remarks.

By the way, this isn't meant to be an excuse. People should think more about what they say before they say it. Just an observation that may help explaining the phenomenon.

• D- Ice and Finn 7 five 11 like this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

If you ask me then yes. To be fair i dont really care what peoples sexual orientation is in a gaming community or in life in general.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

I think we are past the point where we can just say, "Gaming Community". There are many communities and they differ in demographics and views.

That said, I don't think most gaming communities are homophobic or immature. I would say that the biggest issue is insensitivity. Because we communicate, primarily, through very impersonal means of communication, we rarely catch these subtle cues that something which was said merely as a form of trash talk really hurt somebody. Hence the significantly higher frequency of homophobic or racist remarks.

By the way, this isn't meant to be an excuse. People should think more about what they say before they say it. Just an observation that may help explaining the phenomenon.

Interesting, so you are saying that they most often don't mean the things they say, and that too would go for the significantly high volume of racism I come across?

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

I haven't noticed any homophobia on this site, people are generally well-behaved on here. As for it's prevalence in the gaming community, that's anyone's guess. Some people say fa**ot as an insult to other players, others mean it as a direct attack at someone because of their sexual orientation. You can't let sh*t like that get to you on the internet, you don't know these people after all.

S99
  • S99

'StueyCow'

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

I think the issue is, people in gaming communities get pissed off, and gay is the first thing that pops in to our heads so people say things like f*ckin gay c*nt.. But not actually mean it.

Note:
Personally as a straight person, I wouldn't say any homophobic comments and I don't think there's a issue with gay people. So I hope the above helped you and cleared it up making it clear the community is not full of homophobic people

So no, we arnt homophobic we'll some might be, but not the gaming community

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

37127618.jpg

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

What's a gaming community?

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

It's okay to be yourself instead of playing someone you aren't. Nobody will care if you gay, vegetarian, or owner of a club foot as long as you won't be anouncing it for one reason or another.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

^Community is a forum?

.Polar_Bear.
  • .Polar_Bear.

Suave GAYmer

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:15 PM Edited by Crimson_Wolf, 24 October 2013 - 09:16 PM.

It's alright to be gay in general, you shouldn't be caring what people think of you anyways.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

Interesting, so you are saying that they most often don't mean the things they say, and that too would go for the significantly high volume of racism I come across?

I'd say this is where the problem lies. It's not so much actual hate, but just the careless use of hateful language. It's a thing you'll find a lot in my generation in the UK at least (I can't really speak for many other demographics); using "gay" as a pejorative isn't explicitly linked to homophobia most of the time, at least not in the mind of the speaker.

When I was in my mid teens, everyone would describe things as gay when you didn't agree with or like something, no matter what it was or if it had any relation to sexuality or even homosexual stereotypes. A lot of my peers still use language like that, but if you push them about it they'll say they're not homophobic at all. I'd say it stems from being naive when you're in your formative years: when you're a young teen and acceptance and being "normal" is everything, something as different as homosexuality is easily seen as lesser. Thankfully most of us grow up and realise that there's nothing wrong with being gay at all. Some people are gay, deal with it. Obviously a not insignificant percentage hang on to their hate, but most of the time it's just the immature language youth leaving a lasting impression on mature speech.

I think the only reason I've trained myself out of using words that can be considered hateful in my day to day in because I've studied language based subjects in formal education for 5 years after my compulsory education ended. Most people won't do this and as such the effects of language and word choice never factor into their larger view or the world. Every who knows them knows they don't hate gay people, so why should they change their language?

I think it's a problem that society should hopefully grow out of. I mean tolerance, acceptance, whatever you want to call it are spreading exponentially in the first world, we just need things like language to catch up with it.

• Tyler likes this

ThatRandomGuy42
  • ThatRandomGuy42

Survey Corps

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

I've seen some pretty bad homophobia on this site, but it's ok to be gay in a community. 

Reaper Madness
  • Reaper Madness

Snitch

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Society shoves down accepting people being gay everyday so I would think not. Don't really care what your orientation is. Why not just keep it to yourself? I don't run around saying how straight am like an attention whore. 

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:44 PM Edited by Vlynor, 24 October 2013 - 09:44 PM.

Tycek said it best. If you're not one of those people that announces every personal detail about their life (i.e. I'm gay, straight, bi, a lover of cats, a Brit, etc.) then it's not a problem. I have nothing against gays, I have a problem with people who find it necessary to throw their life story out there when I'm playing with them. If I'm talking to you about automobiles and you bring up your sexuality, I have a problem.

• Street Mix likes this

Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

turnt up

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

There's nothing wrong with somebody telling you they're gay, I don't get the whole thing with people not liking gay people who "shove it in your face" that just seems to me like a way of getting away with saying you don't like gay people. There's a difference between people who mention their sexuality commonly and people who use it as an entitlement, those are the ones that annoy me. 

I can't say I've seen any homophobic comments on this site before, people use the word "fag" or "fa**ot" in a mocking manner but not in a homophobic manner. If somebody does something stupid and you call them a fa**ot it doesn't necessarily make you homophobic.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

I fully respect anyone's preferences, but in all honesty, this sort of thread is absolutely begging for trolls. This community is in no way mature enough to have a discussion like this without sh*tting all over it.

• Tyler likes this

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:06 PM Edited by GrandMaster Smith, 24 October 2013 - 11:06 PM.

I think the real question here is why even feel the need to share your private sexuality with all of the internet to see in the first place?

People who feel the need to announce their sexuality to everyone possible are just seeking attention..

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:54 PM

Gay minge community.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:29 AM

Banana
  • Banana

Ghetto Star

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

I think the real question here is why even feel the need to share your private sexuality with all of the internet to see in the first place?

People who feel the need to announce their sexuality to everyone possible are just seeking attention..

This. I don't care if you're gay, just don't be up in everyone's face about it.

Reaper Madness
  • Reaper Madness

Snitch

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:41 AM Edited by Reaper Madness, 25 October 2013 - 12:48 AM.

This. I don't care if you're gay, just don't be up in everyone's face about it.

You better stop that or they might think you're closeted or hate gays. 

It's sad that we live in such a PC society that we can't even say we don't care if you're gay, move on. It's like we have to acknowledge and be proud that you stick your dick in different places than us. No one hates you beside the obvious, we just are sick of people forcing us to care and acknowledge something so trivial.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:46 AM

Sure, But I wouldn't tell anyone who you play with, or you'll get called 'a camping faGG0t'

Who am I kidding, straight, or gay you'll still get called a fa**ot.

• pikachu2g likes this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

There's nothing wrong with somebody telling you they're gay, I don't get the whole thing with people not liking gay people who "shove it in your face" that just seems to me like a way of getting away with saying you don't like gay people. There's a difference between people who mention their sexuality commonly and people who use it as an entitlement, those are the ones that annoy me.

There is. No one cares. Be gay, straight, bi, etc. just don't tell me unless it's brought up. If I hit on you and you say, "I'm a lesbian." that is perfectly fine, but there's no reason to bring it up out of the blue.

TEoS
  • TEoS

Say pal, you don't look so good.

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:33 AM

Yeah! Don't ask, don't tell!

• Moonshield and MarshalMoo like this

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

It's alright by me. I honestly don't really care what ones preference is. I know that there are a few gay members on this site and the only way I could recognize which member was gay or was a large supporter of gay rights was based on the gay rights flag that was hidden away under their username before the update. If I remember correct they apparently join in a group and do kinky things to each-other over Skype ( jk ). Anyway, I don't care what your sexuality is. 

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:58 AM

lol at the retards who're saying gay people can't be open about it.  Ok, for equality's sake why don't we get rid of anything heterosexual in media, or ban PDA?  That's pretty much the same thing.  Why should anyone's sexuality be "shoved in anyone's face"?

The one major difference being the fact that those whom are gay are well within their rights considering how oppressed they'd been in the past, and until we have equal marriage then I say that they should be allowed to parade and celebrate it as much as it takes.  As far back as I can remember things like this were never an issue for straight people, so what gives us the audacity to think we can flaunt our sexuality all we want and to tell gay people to keep it shut?  It's downright ugly.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:19 AM

lol at the retards who're saying gay people can't be open about it.  Ok, for equality's sake why don't we get rid of anything heterosexual in media, or ban PDA?  That's pretty much the same thing.  Why should anyone's sexuality be "shoved in anyone's face"?

The one major difference being the fact that those whom are gay are well within their rights considering how oppressed they'd been in the past, and until we have equal marriage then I say that they should be allowed to parade and celebrate it as much as it takes.  As far back as I can remember things like this were never an issue for straight people, so what gives us the audacity to think we can flaunt our sexuality all we want and to tell gay people to keep it shut?  It's downright ugly.

"We want equality and to be treated well!"

> Uses retards as a derogatory term.

How are we (heterosexuals) flaunting our sexuality?

Also, you don't achieve equality by going, "Well, you were oppressed in the past, so we're going to give you a pass now."

• Street Mix likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users