Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is it just me or do all the mics on the PS3 suck?

53 replies to this topic
Velociraptorius
  • Velociraptorius

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

I've had this on my mind for a long time, but I've never paused to consider what others think. So I made this topic now.

It has come to my attention that I have never, not once, heard a clear voice in a game session when someone's using a mic. And it's not just limited to GTAO, I've played numerous games on the PS3 over the years and whenever I encounter voice chat- the quality is beyond crap. I never have this problem on PC. Well, not never, but the sh*tty mics seem far rarer. While whenever I'm on PS3, the voices are either silent, distorted, or there's a sh*t ton of background noise that makes it sound as if the person is in a helicopter or something. Is it just bad luck on my part or what?

Also, since we're on the topic of voice chat, what is up with people who always have their mics on while they're speaking to friends/family members or otherwise have background noise on? I wish the mute option was more easily accessible...

MantisFang
  • MantisFang

Undead Insect

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

i use the ps3 camera. 

works great

kingcarlo08
  • kingcarlo08

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Just you

Orin
  • Orin

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

the comms in GTA O are terrible. they are fuzzy and low quality. Other games have very clear comms. Not sure if it's bad voice software, of if it's intentional, like it's supposed to sound like a bad cellphone call.

Dr Kain
  • Dr Kain

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

I have a bigger problem.  With my headset, I have to connect it to the PS3 using the bluetooth accessory settings. Then I have to invite a friend to a voice chat (does not matter if they are there or not), turn the mic on, then connect it in the chat, log out of the chat, and then go into a game to use my headset.   The worst thing is, if my headset gets turned off, stops working, etc in the middle of a game, I have to quit the game and redo the entire process step by step.  I have no idea why it does that, but it does.  

In fact, I'm at the point where I probably shouldn't even bother using the headset in the game as no one wants to talk natural, they all prefer to just insult other plays with "Oh you suck," "This is the worst team I have ever been on," "Hey, have fun driving the tanker to the drop off point while we drive around," "Why are you taking forever to drive that tanker to the drop off point?  MOVE FASTER ******!!"  

MantisFang
  • MantisFang

Undead Insect

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

Plug in compatible USB camera with mic.

Done

MeGusta90
  • MeGusta90

I want a cool image under this sentence

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

It's mostly stupid c*nts using low quality mics they got form a dollar store, the background noise is not GTA's fault it's the peron using the mics fault.

S-M-O-K-E
  • S-M-O-K-E

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:59 PM Edited by S-M-O-K-E, 24 October 2013 - 03:02 PM.

It seems to be hit & miss. Some of my crew members are clear and others are quiet & distorted. I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of their headset. All my crew members tell me that they can hear me nice & clear but i have issues hearing them. I think the crappy bluetooth earpiece ones are the problem. I use the official playstation headphone style headset so that may be why my voice sounds clear on the other end.

Background noise & people talking, music, hearing GTA on their end is all very annoying. Also, i keep my chat option set to freinds & crew only so i dont have to listen to stupid kids yapping off.

CunoVonRembold
  • CunoVonRembold

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thats an interesting topic. 

For example, when i select CHAT : CREW AND FRIENDS, does that mean that only crew members and friends can hear me?

Mikeol1987
  • Mikeol1987

GTAF Lt.

• Members
  • England

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

Thats an interesting topic. 

For example, when i select CHAT : CREW AND FRIENDS, does that mean that only crew members and friends can hear me?

Its supposed to, as is selecting 'no-one' supposed to save you from such horrible microphone antics, or screaming kids... but at the moment that doesn't work flawlessly either, I've had all mics off, and still been able to hear people.... uhhh no thanks. 

CunoVonRembold
  • CunoVonRembold

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Argh i need a mic. Sure that an USB cam works fine?

hyseptik
  • hyseptik

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

Me and my crew prefer Teamspeak. I just play with my laptop nearby. It has voice activation which eliminates background noise, and on top of that my headset has a "controller" where I can mute my mic with a press of a button (I usually play with this in my lap lol). The only downside is I can't route in-game audio to the headset so I hear nearly nothing of it.

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

Me and my friends use turtlebeach, bog standard $40 headsets. Insanely good microphone quality and it's clear as day when they speak back. Yes it's not perfect, but thousands of them are being streamed over a cloud service, it's not going to be the highest quality audio.

Ewok626
  • Ewok626

Prankster

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Most mics on the consoles sound like crap.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I use the PS3 bluetooth 2.0 headset and the ones I play with use it too and it`s crystal clear.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

In most Xbox-videos the sound quality is like angels, when I play in PlayStation it's usually like a saw sawing a rock.

:/

GLiTcH2
  • GLiTcH2

╚═╬═╬═╬═╝

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

There are a few games where voice chat is really good but for most games it sucks, My friends and I just use skype while gaming.

TheBeautifulGame
  • TheBeautifulGame

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

I have a turtle beach headset because the cheap ones are absolutely terrible, you're better off not using a mic if you're using one of those. What I have a problem with is people with crying kids in the background or with their music or tv on too loud or having a conversation with someone else while their mic is on. 

chrischris7
  • chrischris7

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Lol who is even using ps3 mics???? L2use skype with ur friends

CunoVonRembold
  • CunoVonRembold

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

i'd like to, but not everyone has lap or pc nearby

Wildfire_08
  • Wildfire_08

Who cares

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

I've had this on my mind for a long time, but I've never paused to consider what others think. So I made this topic now.

It has come to my attention that I have never, not once, heard a clear voice in a game session when someone's using a mic. And it's not just limited to GTAO, I've played numerous games on the PS3 over the years and whenever I encounter voice chat- the quality is beyond crap. I never have this problem on PC. Well, not never, but the sh*tty mics seem far rarer. While whenever I'm on PS3, the voices are either silent, distorted, or there's a sh*t ton of background noise that makes it sound as if the person is in a helicopter or something. Is it just bad luck on my part or what?

Also, since we're on the topic of voice chat, what is up with people who always have their mics on while they're speaking to friends/family members or otherwise have background noise on? I wish the mute option was more easily accessible...

Nah my mic is clear, at least my more expensive one is, but thats the way it goes. 

I know a lot of people have those $70 sony headsets which are pretty good, the problem is the retards who use camera mics or mics as a long range mic, then you get all the horrible noises from it. 

I use the small PS3 bluetooth most of the time, but its super quiet so i almost have to shout to be heard. When i want to be heard clearly for a bit ill use the Logitech F540 or whatever it is, great mic. Ive got the other logitiec g930, but unfortunately thats only for my laptop.

one_-AFRO-_three
  • one_-AFRO-_three

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

Wireless afterglow on ps3...
Over 18hrs on 1 charge..
Sounds good on both ends.

Also turn the TV down while on mic, we don't like to hear your sounds also

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

My PC is upstairs, while the console is downstairs. Not ideal.

Vespucci Hipster
  • Vespucci Hipster

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Gamestop got new PS3 mics in. $25. Usb plug in with 4 foot cord, headset is like the xbox one with nice goose-neck mic.

I had gen 1 ps3 bluetooth and it sux, try this one out its a massive difference from the wireless crap PS3 had a year ago

bigbay49er
  • bigbay49er

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Mine sucks.  Seems like either people hear everything including my dog sleeping across the room or nothing but a mutter when I talk at full volume.  The settings on the ps3 are inaccurate I think because if it sounded like it does when I test it then it should be perfect.

I tried it with my phone and it works flawlessly so I concluded that it must be something to do with the ps3.

wantsumcandi
  • wantsumcandi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

i love my pulse elite. its got its own gta v setting and is super clear

Tantrix
  • Tantrix

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:51 PM Edited by Tantrix, 24 October 2013 - 10:02 PM.

Cheap Sony PS3 USB headset, has a damn 20-ft cord on it and only costs maybe $20...works great on PS3 and PC.  No need for expensive headsets.

Stevelamont
  • Stevelamont

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

It's people having the mic sensor setting at 5. They seem to think it will be louder. All it does is pick up a pin drop in the room upstairs and all the feedback possible

Stevelamont
  • Stevelamont

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

Gamestop got new PS3 mics in. $25. Usb plug in with 4 foot cord, headset is like the xbox one with nice goose-neck mic.
I had gen 1 ps3 bluetooth and it sux, try this one out its a massive difference from the wireless crap PS3 had a year ago

I bought this last week in UK. Fantastic headset for the price

Tayman
  • Tayman

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Not sure why my mic volume is so damn low.  People can barely hear me. 

In every other game it's crystal clear though. 

I'm using the offical sony ps3 headset (newest one I think).

It's annoying to say the least.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users