Photo

(Opinion/Info) Types of Wheels and Their Effects

98 replies to this topic
IXBillyXI
  • IXBillyXI

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:37 PM Edited by IXBillyXI, 25 October 2013 - 05:41 PM.

I wonder If Suspension changes anything too.

Suspension gives more grip i think. Same with wings right? The wind pushes the car down which gives more grip. irl and in game.

Lowering the suspension reduces the amount of airflow under the car thus reduces lift force. With less lift generated under the car it will allow more grip to the road aka "aerodynamic grip". It is the reason you see front wings on formula one cars which provides better traction for the car to stick to the road better.

Edit: Also lowering the suspension lowers the vehicles center of gravity to prevent the vehicle from rolling over at higher speeds when taking a turn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downforce

ChristiaaaaaanxD
  • ChristiaaaaaanxD

Player Lover

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

It's a placebo. Those who think the tires will change performance will believe they see a change when testing it. If there really is a change in performance then it is minor at best, because I sure as hell don't notice a difference and I'm not alone here.

I want to believe that different wheel styles perform differently. I also believe that the testers may just be having some sort of placebo effect. But it would make sense that each perform differently. I mean, each wheel style also has a tire style. The offroad wheels have beefy mudthrowers, while the sport and high-end have slim, low-profile summer tires. REALISTICALLY, they are vastly different. Though this is GTA, and 'realistic' isnt an normally a good qualifier.

They can really change performances, even just a tiny bit.

K1NG CURT1S
  • K1NG CURT1S

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

Those aren't tires, they're rims.  The types of tires are in accessories.  The rims don't do anything for your speed or what not on or off-road.  They're purely different designs of rims for you to use.

All the wheels are purely cosmetic and any changes in handling are entirely imagined.

there is no difference

THESE^^

The only "TIRES" you can change are OFF-ROAD and STOCK.

You guys are wondering if the actual RIMS affect performance?

It's the placebo effect and you're all wrong. It does absolutely NOTHING

SkittyM
  • SkittyM

Cpt. Grumpy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:16 AM Edited by cimpaq, 26 October 2013 - 12:18 AM.

For those thinking Tires and Rims are separate, in real life terms, you are correct, but in GTA terms, you are VERY wrong, each wheel type comes with its own tire tread (with off road tires coming with their own model).  Next time you change your vehicles wheels, look VERY closely at the tire tread, each category comes with its own tread.

Edit: Also, Suspension tuning reduces ride height and stiffens the suspension meaning your vehicle will roll less in turns.  Makes off road suspension very awkward though.

ChristiaaaaaanxD
  • ChristiaaaaaanxD

Player Lover

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:59 PM Edited by ChristiaaaaaanxD, 26 October 2013 - 05:02 PM.

Any other opinons ?

Tuner has higher handling/control when your car's sliding.

High-Ends, Preferably for Races.

Quite bad on handling when your car slides. It just slides until It stops.

ChristiaaaaaanxD
  • ChristiaaaaaanxD

Player Lover

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Last Bump for Tonight :)

madhojo
  • madhojo

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

Negative. Tires change nothing. Took my entity xf offroad with stock, then high end, then off-road just to test and noticed no difference.

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Anyone know what bike tires do? My Akuma can out run my Bati, the Bati has a higher top speed, yet the Akuma is still faster at top speed... The only difference? The Akuma has custom tires called, "Racer." I'm serious, the Akuma leaves the Bati in the dirt on the Freeway.

ChristiaaaaaanxD
  • ChristiaaaaaanxD

Player Lover

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:40 AM

Negative. Tires change nothing. Took my entity xf offroad with stock, then high end, then off-road just to test and noticed no difference.

Try it with another vehicle, Not an Entity.

'Cause it has fast acceleration and it doesn't matter on off-roads.

Try like sultan, coquette, carbo.

Anyone know what bike tires do? My Akuma can out run my Bati, the Bati has a higher top speed, yet the Akuma is still faster at top speed... The only difference? The Akuma has custom tires called, "Racer." I'm serious, the Akuma leaves the Bati in the dirt on the Freeway.

I don't have an akuma, actually. But when I've raced some people with an akuma, They can catch up with my Fully modded bati.

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

"Jesus Christ Lamar, you gotta stop talkin'!"

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:53 AM Edited by JohnGazman, 27 October 2013 - 02:54 AM.

Wheels.jpg

Unless that's an official R* reply, i'm tempted to call bullsh*t.

Akuma is the faster bike anyway. It's been proven several times.

ChristiaaaaaanxD
  • ChristiaaaaaanxD

Player Lover

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:00 AM

Wheels.jpg

Unless that's an official R* reply, i'm tempted to call bullsh*t.

No It's not :)

Skardsen
  • Skardsen

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

There's no proof of any of this.

ChristiaaaaaanxD
  • ChristiaaaaaanxD

Player Lover

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:17 AM

If only I have a Hardware that can record videos clearly :3

Not those video-cams etc.

KoingWolf
  • KoingWolf

If Found: Return to Online Section

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:37 AM

If anyone has any suggestions for optimal routes to try this, please do tell. I can try it tonight. 

Skardsen
  • Skardsen

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:39 AM

If only I have a Hardware that can record videos clearly :3

Not those video-cams etc.

It's still impossible to perform an unbiased test. The only way we'll know is if the game comes out on PC and the code is looked at.

ChristiaaaaaanxD
  • ChristiaaaaaanxD

Player Lover

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

If anyone has any suggestions for optimal routes to try this, please do tell. I can try it tonight. 

Well, test it inside the LS Airport to have a wider area.

Then start accelerating your car, When it's about the Highest Speed, Turn it using the Handbrake (X Button on PS3), Just like drifting.

And see the difference between each wheel types on the category of "Grips".

downants
  • downants

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

I say placebo, until proven with videos with TEST, where you drive and brake, accelerate and so on at the same track, same way...

unklepepper
  • unklepepper

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:16 PM Edited by unklepepper, 27 October 2013 - 12:16 PM.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that R* modelled different tyre properties when so much else with car modding is missing. Just because the model or texture of the tread on the tyre changes when you use a different class of rim, doesn't mean different properties have actually been implemented. If you think it's making a difference, you're likely wrong.

There's no point even trying to test it by driving at speed and turning a corner, without statistical read outs and data, you cannot come to any real conclusions.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:44 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 27 October 2013 - 01:44 PM.

Lowering the suspension reduces the amount of airflow under the car thus reduces lift force. With less lift generated under the car it will allow more grip to the road aka "aerodynamic grip". It is the reason you see front wings on formula one cars which provides better traction for the car to stick to the road better.

Edit: Also lowering the suspension lowers the vehicles center of gravity to prevent the vehicle from rolling over at higher speeds when taking a turn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downforce

All very accurate, but the correct question is: Does Rockstar`s engine use airflow and correct grip in terms of realistic physics, or not? 

By my observations it is a loose model based on tyre grip and suspension. And not even the suspension is half accurate if I am to judge by the crazy amount of length some shock absorbers have.

I might be mistaken, though.

YouMirinBrah?
  • YouMirinBrah?

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:25 PM Edited by YouMirinBrah?, 27 October 2013 - 02:25 PM.

Can't you guys take 5 of the same cars with the different wheel/tyre types and drag them over different terrains? offroad/airport/beach.

Smallo92
  • Smallo92

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:33 PM Edited by Smallo92, 27 October 2013 - 02:34 PM.

Those aren't tires, they're rims.  The types of tires are in accessories.  The rims don't do anything for your speed or what not on or off-road.  They're purely different designs of rims for you to use.

All the wheels are purely cosmetic and any changes in handling are entirely imagined.

there is no difference

THESE^^

The option in lsc is wheels not tyres or rims. Wheels include the rim and the tyre. In my personal experience adding off-road tyres to my sultan made a massive difference!

ChristiaaaaaanxD
  • ChristiaaaaaanxD

Player Lover

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

Can't you guys take 5 of the same cars with the different wheel/tyre types and drag them over different terrains? offroad/airport/beach.

Yeah, I could do that.

But I don't have the Stuff to record it.

Though I have video-cam, It will be "blurry".

ChristiaaaaaanxD
  • ChristiaaaaaanxD

Player Lover

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

there is no difference

THESE^^

The option in lsc is wheels not tyres or rims. Wheels include the rim and the tyre. In my personal experience adding off-road tyres to my sultan made a massive difference!

Lucky I'm not the only one believing that Changing the Car's Wheel types changes the performance even just a bit :p

(Too Lazy to edit my previous post, So sorry for the Double post.)

NewReno
  • NewReno

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:46 PM Edited by NewReno, 27 October 2013 - 02:51 PM.

I had hopes that the tires/wheels would make a difference, but in my opinion, they don't. It seems like everyone saying they do make a difference is going purely off anecdote. It would be great to see a side by side comparison off all the wheels on the same vehicle, running the same test.

I had off-road wheels on my Futo for quite a while. I just switched to tuner tires and they seem "almost" the same. The off road wheels actually seemed to have slightly less traction, but if there was any difference it was negligible.

I'll have to try some more consistent tests later today and see what I come up with. I would hope the wheels make a difference but it barely seems to, if at all.

ChristiaaaaaanxD
  • ChristiaaaaaanxD

Player Lover

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:54 PM Edited by ChristiaaaaaanxD, 27 October 2013 - 02:58 PM.

I had hopes that the tires/wheels would make a difference, but in my opinion, they don't. It seems like everyone saying they do make a difference is going purely off anecdote. It would be great to see a side by side comparison off all the wheels on the same vehicle, running the same test.

I had off-road wheels on my Futo for quite a while. I just switched to tuner tires and they seem "almost" the same. The off road wheels actually seemed to have slightly less traction, but if there was any difference it was negligible.

I'll have to try some more consistent tests later today and see what I come up with. I would hope the wheels make a difference but it barely seems to, if at all.

Have you tried using "High-end" with a fast car (Not the Futo obviously) and taking a sharp turn ? 

Try using Karin Sultan with a "Sports" Wheel type and Take a sharp turn using the handbrake. Remember the Initial test.

Then Replace it with "Tuner", Take a sharp turn using the handbrake and compare the results. Specially the Grip of the cars when they're sliding/drifting.

Cinoy
  • Cinoy

✈✈✈✈✈✈

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

what about High End

GTAhole
  • GTAhole

BPC

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

It would be nice if you could actually affect handling and traction.

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

Its just the look.

You think your vehicle handles different, but it doesnt. Placebo effect.

Shiz87
  • Shiz87

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

I noticed difference in sport and high end, with high end my car slides off easly when I do hard turns

ChristiaaaaaanxD
  • ChristiaaaaaanxD

Player Lover

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

I noticed difference in sport and high end, with high end my car slides off easly when I do hard turns

Like what Shiz87 said, When you do sharp turns with High End, It slides making it Uncontrollable.

Its just the look.

You think your vehicle handles different, but it doesnt. Placebo effect.

No, I think not.

Yes, I agree.

They said it's just a placebo effect, But it ain't

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users