Photo

Thoughts to improve overall gameplay

15 replies to this topic
Adeelos
  • Adeelos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

So I've been playing the game pretty solid for about a week here, and have been trying to think of ways to help improve the game overall and help keep things interesting. As it stands, the overworld gameplay gets very stale and repetitive - shoot first, who cares later. I wanted to hear other people's opinions on my idea here, and see if maybe we can get it passed up to someone who could make the change.

It's simple. Get rid of the white dots on the map. Completely. The only way for your white dot to show up on the map is to do something like shoot a gun. Think of it kind of like a very rudimentary radar. This does not affect players marked with bounties. I find it arguable keeping friend/crew dots on the map, however. I'll explain it more further down.

What this will do to gameplay - suddenly the game becomes less about how fast and how frequently I can find the other guy and mow him down. That guy who wants to go on a manslaughter? Now he can't suddenly show up and terrorize the rank 3 player with an assault chopper. It gives players reason to do things like speed (at the cost of sticking out to other players), or follow with traffic (in the hopes no one notices you specifically). It makes gang fights even more intense, because at any moment another player can swing in from behind unnoticed and open fire. It makes getting a bounty placed on your head all the more intimidating in the long run, as now you're [one of] the only player dots on the map. This also encourages players to learn the landscape and memorize landmarks as meeting places for friends/crew members. The applications are near endless.

On this note, change how in-game voice chat works. No more of this "everyone in the session can hear everyone". Make an audio radius around players. At x distance from said player, you can't hear them anymore. At the edge of that range, you can barely hear them. In other words, the closer you are the easier it is to hear them. This would encourage players working together to stay relatively close (discounting xbox players who will probably just use party chat anyway) so they can hear each other. I've seen this mechanic in games before, I know it works. The earliest example I can think of was way back in Halo 2, where you could hear opposing player's voice chats if you were close enough to them.

With these changes, it might be ideal to bump the session limit on player capacity a bit. I understand that at times raising player caps on a game can be difficult, but if possible (and with these changes taken into account), it would provide for a much more exciting and dynamic overworld than what we currently have.

The reason why I suggest such major changes is, to be quite frank, because we're clearly not playing a finished product. Online in its current state feels very much like a late stage beta. That, combined with the fact that the game is still so early in its release cycle, makes it much easier to make large changes to the game without it being too much of a hassle to players. Anyway, let me know your thoughts folks. 

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

I think this would just cause a bunch of annoying trolls to camp out at hot spots on the map getting cheap kills.

Adeelos
  • Adeelos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but as it is the game is nothing but annoying trolls roaming the whole map and usually griefing. There is no counter-play. If people are camping a hotspot, go somewhere else. There's an entire island to play on.

OBITWIZZLE
  • OBITWIZZLE

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

I support this idea. Maybe you can pay Lester 1k to spot a specific player for a certain amount of time.

jdkzombie
  • jdkzombie

Professional Zombie

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

I can already see it. You standing on the corner, the faint wail of police sirens getting closer, then you see it, a beat up musxle car iff in the distance and you faintly hear the driver screaming , getting louder as he gets closer, topping at a crescendo as he is passing you , wirh his scream and the police sirens fading away as he tears on by.

Classic. That would be me for sure.

BrowserSnake
  • BrowserSnake

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

What will make the game 10 times better is if they add a server browser like in IV where you can go through a list of deathmatches, races and other game modes. I think its absolutely stupid to have to travel to certain parts of the map to for different gamemodes. Also having the server browser will allow player to join on going games, and that means it will be viable to have large deathmatches that span the whole map and last longer than 5 minutes. Also the promise of the content creator does not seem viable with the current system. How will people be able to play custom deathmatches or races? Are all custom scenarios going to be littered across the map? A server browser is practically required to make this feature work. Either that or they just won't release the content creator... which Im willing to bet will be the case. As it stands now, the PvP in GTA4 is much much better. This is sad because the PvP is what increases the longevity of the game, while the free roam/coop stuff (the main focus of GTA5) gets boring really quick.

FinalStandLabs
  • FinalStandLabs

TGN Partnered YouTuber

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

What will make the game 10 times better is if they add a server browser like in IV where you can go through a list of deathmatches, races and other game modes. I think its absolutely stupid to have to travel to certain parts of the map to for different gamemodes. Also having the server browser will allow player to join on going games, and that means it will be viable to have large deathmatches that span the whole map and last longer than 5 minutes. Also the promise of the content creator does not seem viable with the current system. How will people be able to play custom deathmatches or races? Are all custom scenarios going to be littered across the map? A server browser is practically required to make this feature work. Either that or they just won't release the content creator... which Im willing to bet will be the case. As it stands now, the PvP in GTA4 is much much better. This is sad because the PvP is what increases the longevity of the game, while the free roam/coop stuff (the main focus of GTA5) gets boring really quick.

Just wondering, why do you say the PVP in GTA4 is better?

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

You know you can start any job you want using the map? Tap X on the job the same way you set a waypoint(square on PSN I think) ???  It won't work if you currently have a waypoint set.  You don't need to drive all the way to the job to start it.

Caligastia
  • Caligastia

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

In regards to OP's comment

1 - Remove white markers for players - I both love and hate this idea, I like the fear and thrill of not knowing whats going on beyond the radar, but I use these alot, when looking for action or trying to avoid it.  I also like being able to see people coming at me when I have a bounty.  But I would rather see everyone in end.

2 - Proximity for mic's - Yes, definately, I am surprised it is not this way to begin with.  I lost mine so I know not, my wife is getting me one for the birthday.

3 - More active players per maps - unconfirmed rumor is this is coming.  Cannot remember where I read it, Forbes or something so I have no proof, but I have heard there are more players per map coming soon.  I believe the current limit is 16.  Not alot for such a huge map.  It would great to have 4 or 5 times that.

FinalStandLabs
  • FinalStandLabs

TGN Partnered YouTuber

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:42 PM Edited by FinalStandLabs, 24 October 2013 - 04:42 PM.

In regards to OP's comment

1 - Remove white markers for players - I both love and hate this idea, I like the fear and thrill of not knowing whats going on beyond the radar, but I use these alot, when looking for action or trying to avoid it.  I also like being able to see people coming at me when I have a bounty.  But I would rather see everyone in end.

2 - Proximity for mic's - Yes, definately, I am surprised it is not this way to begin with.  I lost mine so I know not, my wife is getting me one for the birthday.

3 - More active players per maps - unconfirmed rumor is this is coming.  Cannot remember where I read it, Forbes or something so I have no proof, but I have heard there are more players per map coming soon.  I believe the current limit is 16.  Not alot for such a huge map.  It would great to have 4 or 5 times that.

1. I like them just because the map is big enough you might go a while with no action.

2. Proximity for the Mic, I do agree.

3. I believe Xbox One and PS4 will have more because their hardware will support it. 

BrowserSnake
  • BrowserSnake

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Just wondering, why do you say the PVP in GTA4 is better?

Because there are more PvP gamemodes, including Mafia Work, Turf Wars, Cops 'n Crooks. Also the deathmatches in GTA4 can be much larger and span for longer periods of time. Also GTA4 PvP is much more balanced, no unlockable guns, no upgradable skills, everyone starts with same guns. This could be implemented in 5 by having un-ranked matches. In GTA4, you can join ongoing matches and don't always have to sit in lobbies everytime you want to play dm. So yeah, GTA4 PvP is better without a doubt.

Adeelos
  • Adeelos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

Bumping to allow more people to see and comment

Nersk
  • Nersk

Online Fanatic

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

no f*cking sh*t eh... i hate how i have to either join some random event or wait for some people to join my event all the time. why isn't there a list of the current events being hosted. it's absolutely retarded... who the f*ck designed this flawed matchmaking system god dammit! lol

the_samich
  • the_samich

Thug

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

God I would love to see turf war brought back. I hate deathmatches because it seems so pointless. It's just a game of who can hid out rhe best. Turf war gave you something to work for while still incorporating a deathmatch theme.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

no f*cking sh*t eh... i hate how i have to either join some random event or wait for some people to join my event all the time. why isn't there a list of the current events being hosted. it's absolutely retarded... who the f*ck designed this flawed matchmaking system god dammit! lol

Isn't that what the quick job does?  It's not random as it lets you choose to join a deathmach, race, mission etc. In the pause menu select jobs/Join.  I use it quite often when I can't make up my mind or have no friends playing online.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

Objective based deathmatch modes would great for this game.  I can only play plain old deathmatch for so long before I get bored of it.

• the_samich likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users