Quantcast

» «
Photo

What was your opinion on "Episodes from Liberty City"?

32 replies to this topic
Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

TOO HAWNEE TO FIGHT CRIME!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

Personally, I absolutely LOVED this idea. I don't exaggerate when I say this is the best and most value-returning DLC I've ever gotten for a video game.

I bought TLaD and TBoGT a couple years ago together. In short, the stories, characters, weapons, vehicles, game mechanics, and especially filling gaps in IV's story planned from the start was genius.

However...

From what I've heard, a good deal of the GTA community found these to be disappointments. Rockstar had not sold as many of these DLCs as they had anticipated, and said they do not plan on anything like that in the future. That's a real shame for something like GTA V, which in my opinion had an entirely too brief and shallow story.

What did you think of the "episodes" games? Why? Would you buy something similar to this for V?

LoneWolfMargaret
  • LoneWolfMargaret

Gamer, Artist, Lone Wolf.

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

I absolutely loved The Lost And Damned, for me, The Ballad Of Gay Tony was just ok. In terms of DLC I can't think of better value for money. But I would like to have seen the story in The Lost And Damned fleshed out a bit more, it felt rushed to me. Other than that I don't really have any more complaints though. Would happily pay for Episodes From Los Santos.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

I love EFLC. I bought the disc, and I do not regret it one bit. I love both TLAD and TBoGT. EFLC is a must have for any IV fans.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:40 PM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 23 October 2013 - 09:52 PM.

they were both well done and they made the Storyline In IV itself Better Tlad was Great tbogt could of had a better Storyline its like R* were Kinda  Catering for  the San Andreas Fanboys rather than Writing a good Well Written Story  like we had In IV And Tlad .  (not saying the Storyline in Tbogt Was Bad) and  R* imo should Make an   Episodes pack for V it might just make up for the Mediocre  and Disappointing  Storyline . 

• Drunken Cowboy, nobum62 and CharlesManson855 like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

TOO HAWNEE TO FIGHT CRIME!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

they were both well done and they made the Storyline In IV itself Better Tlad was Great tbogt could of had a better Storyline its like R* were Kinda  Catering for  the San Andreas Fanboys rather than Writing a good Well Written Story  like we had In IV And Tlad .  (not saying the Storyline in Tbogt Was Bad) and  R* imo should Make an   Episodes pack for V it might just make up for the Mediocre  and Disappointing  Storyline . 

I can not express how much I agree with every single sentence you just wrote.

• PaletoChickenCapo and nobum62 like this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

One of the best video games dlc ever. would love if they have something similar planned for GTA V DLC.

LeeH1989
  • LeeH1989

Ex Crew Member Of Micheal's...

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:01 AM Edited by LeeH1989, 24 October 2013 - 02:03 AM.

I got the ps3 disk version and absolutely loved it, all the tie ins and connections, it was genius i love the whole complete sstoryline, nothing can top IVs story im sorry u just cant only vice city comes close I think,

I plan on buying the complete collection mayb Christmas time and doing a proppa playthru without havin to swap disk,i also heard the graphics are a little bit clearer or something.

Also I think it set the standard for DLC same as undead nightmare for red dead, id love a V version of it! If they change their mind about single player dlc

GTASkunk
  • GTASkunk

Don Vercetti

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:14 AM

Most people may disagree on this but I only liked the DLC for the tiny extras and not the story. Yes, I know the story is kinda part of Niko's storyline but playing IV then completing both the DLC's made me think. They were really boring. I pretty much saw TBoGT only good for Multiplayer and that was it. 

Spoiler

Sasqui
  • Sasqui

Gangsta sh*t

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

I loved them. Both contributed to the main story very well. I bought the disk version about two years ago and played TBoGT first, then started TLaD a while later but didn't finish it for a long time. My copy was really glitchy so after beating both stories I didn't play the game much. I would throw all my money at R* if they were to make GTA V: Episodes From Los Santos. I wonder who the stories would focus on?

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

TLAD was/is simply fantastic.TBOGT is one of those games I feel a bit 50/50 on. On one hand it has some cool things like fight club, parachuting etc, but on the other it feels out of place and an odd contrast to the dark and gritty nature of GTA IV and TLAD.

Still a good game, but I would've rather something focused on the McRearies or a Italian mafia theme.

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

I loved it

Ray Margarita
  • Ray Margarita

Stadium Arcadium

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

TLAD and TBOGT were very good and well done in my opinion. TLAD's story was fantastic and it's a shame it wasn't longer and more fleshed out. TBOGT's story is defiantly not as good as 4 and TLAD, but it was still pretty entertaining. I like TLAD more though, because it was a whole new concept for GTA. Never before have we been able to play as a biker. Rockstar nailed it capturing the biker lifestyle, and I hope one day they do the same thing, except as a full game. TBOGT had some pretty good features as well, such as fight club and parachutes. I highly recommend these two games, as they are just marvelous.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Soldier

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

It was very well-done DLC in my option. TLAD was simply great, i liked bikers themed story and story itself was great. But i somehow dislike TBOGT, i just can't get on with that. Overall, DLC is great.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

I love the idea, because it was good way to pump more hours of fun into well known city. TLaD was much better in my opinion, but I like them both and I definitely would like to see something similar again, but only if they would be done correctly (like TLaD).

gtarules_95
  • gtarules_95

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

I loved the Episodes I think it was a great idea

and I'm dissapointed to hear they dont wanna do DLC's like this anymore

Playing the same missions from three different perspectives was really awesome (and the fact that those three were not friends like in GTA V made it even better)

lol232
  • lol232

The Golden Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

I preferred the 3 Character 'Impossible Trinity' kind-of story in IV, rather than 3 Character 'Bank Robber Trio' story in V.

I liked that a lot.

When all 3 know each other well, it's like, you play one story with 3 characters, when they barely know eachother, it's 3 different stories with 3 characters.

• Andreas and Sleepy187. like this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

I preferred the 3 Character 'Impossible Trinity' kind-of story in IV, rather than 3 Character 'Bank Robber Trio' story in V.
I liked that a lot.

When all 3 know each other well, it's like, you play one story with 3 characters, when they barely know eachother, it's 3 different stories with 3 characters.

Yeah I agree. I liked that Niko, Luis and Johnny didn't know each other. It allowed for greater depth in their personal stories. Something I think GTA V really lacks.
  • lol232, TJGM and Relax_and_Get_High like this

GeorgeGTA
  • GeorgeGTA

GTA Master Gamer

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

I like EFLC, it's good idea.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

TLAD was/is simply fantastic.TBOGT is one of those games I feel a bit 50/50 on. On one hand it has some cool things like fight club, parachuting etc, but on the other it feels out of place and an odd contrast to the dark and gritty nature of GTA IV and TLAD.

Still a good game, but I would've rather something focused on the McRearies or a Italian mafia theme.

You see, while agree I with you on this for most part, I have some difference if opinion in small part of it. TLAD was good, I liked the story, but I just don't think that biker gang theme should have been used for it. I just don't see biker gangs as a typically associated with the NYC/NJ metro area underworld. I reckon TLAD should have been about the McCrearys or one of the Italian-American Mafia crime families instead. Having said that TLAD was alright. 

I really enjoyed TBOGT, to me it was the best one. I loved the glitzy nightlife side to LC and Luis and his drug-dealing friends were so relevant, because Dominican gangs are a major part of the real life NYC underworld, they control a lot of the drug trade out there. Yusuf was f**kin funny, and some of the missions were downright wacky and fun, but not so over the top. The story was not as interesting as TLAD's, but it was still entertaining. 

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

Overall I liked the idea very much, and I wish they would continue it as often as possible. It's basically a modern version of Liberty City and Vice City Stories, where you re-use the same settings and gameplay mechanics to deliver new tales and expositions, and it carries its own originality to it.

Like I've posted in another thread, I found the Lost and Damned to be compelling in how it manages to tell a story of its own while at the same time relating frequently to the events occurred in GTA IV. Even though yes, to some extent the premise of an outlaw biker gang operating in the big apple is a bit cheeky to begin with, even if it is part of its appeal.

Ballad of Gay Tony on the other hand I had much to criticize about, not that I disliked the themes of Ballad necessarily, rather I thought it was just ineffectively delivered, therefor creating a desire that 'more' episodes could have been told instead. For example, I rather they focused on the irish mob, mostly because the entire 'downer side' of it would have made for a better conclusion to the GTA IV saga.

Shamelessly copy posting from another thread:

Taking place from midway in IV and proceed to end after IV's endings, with your game taking account into Niko's choice by means of tracking your save file.

You play as Gordon Sargent, who worked with Niko once and was last seen keeping an eye out to Gracie, and was even at a time considered to be a plausible candidate for a dlc protagonist by some.

http://gta.wikia.com/Gordon_Sargent

The story would have dealt with the various relationships, both friendly and adversarial, between the many Italian mafia syndicate in Liberty City. The mafia in Liberty City has a pretty elaborate backstory which you can piece together by going through the various police reports found in the database, and yet they only appear on rare occasions within the actual story of the game. Much like Ballad, the Ancelotti would still have its fair share of involvement due to Gordon's participation in the kidnapping, but the different families can always get involved in one way or another. Gordon is gambler for example, a first for a GTA protagonist, which would also continue to pursue this entire grounded approach set forth by IV and Lost and Damned.

It will make use of the events of the two previous games more deeply than the Ballad did. As a continuation from the ending of Lost and Damned, Gerry McReary would have fled from the Alderney State Penitentiary, and it would have been up to Gordon to find a suitable way to help the McReary family. We would have also gained more insight on Gerry's reaction to the failed diamond exchange as well as the death of one of his brothers, or even sister.

Next there is also Phil Bell, half irish half Italian , the plausible additional link between the irish mob and the mafia, not to mention Packie already worked for the Peggorino. With his business set in Alderney, Phil Bell could have easily got wind on both Gracie's kidnapping and of the Lost's final state of business, further tying both stories of IV and Lost and Damned more effectively than what was produced in Ballad.

Depending on the ending player took in IV, the ending of Gordon Sargent's tale with Phil Bell and Gerry would have changed as well, further bringing full circle to the trilogy.

Ballad of Gay Tony's method of bringing full circle comes from revealing 'who' gets his hands on the diamonds, and by doing so, provoking an unnecessary and awkward retcon, just for a couple of extra giggles.

In contrast, the tale of Gordon Sargent could have brought full circle by showing the extent of harm caused by both the diamond affair And to Niko Bellic's various intervention, along with a flair of the Lost's intervention, here and there.

Sure Gordon wasn't present in the museum, but that doesn't necessarily means he couldn't have been part of this Trinity situation, with the kidnapping, the diamonds, and to the actions of Niko and the Lost, all tying it up together.

It would have been even more gritty and lonely than IV and Lost and Damned, whereas Niko and Johnny at least had close friends to share the journey with, all Gordon would have had were gambling debts and various mob bosses always on the edge to pull a backstab in fear of facing the implosion of the situations caused by the other protagonists. It may have perhaps ended on a happy and hopeful note, but the journey that leads to it would have been a rather unnerving and shady experience, where the concept of 'gaining money' whatever the cost, even if it involves keeping an eye out for a constantly crying tied up woman, it could have been an interesting concept that set up as a prototype to the 'pursuit of the almighty dollar' concept later laid out in full with GTA V.

And it definitively would have made a better lasting impression than the way Ballad tackled its subjects of increasing debts and 'everybody has a price', which amounts to continue to kill everyone in sight and everything would be ok, with no loss or degradation of conscience of any sorts.

Perhaps after the negative reaction to the constant pessimism in IV and Lost and Damned, Rockstar decided it was best not to approach this angle ever again.

And that to me, is a missed opportunity.

Not because of the themes or style of the Ballad per se, but rather it is presented as a welcoming alternative and yet failed to make a better impression than it set out to be, therefor making me feel that the unused possibilities would have been better. 

thejack0ff
  • thejack0ff

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

A great idea, really. I remember seeing Luis at the bank heist, destroying the deal at the museum and then on Charge Island and was like "wait a second... who the f*ck is this guy?"

Johnny I really didn't wonder as much, I thought he was just some random biker who we wouldn't see after a couple of missions and didn't play a big role in anything. Guess I was wrong, hehe.

GTAnian
  • GTAnian

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

I have ordered EFLC today.

93Sean93
  • 93Sean93

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:56 AM

There is nothing interesting about Gordon Sargent. I remember one mission he talked like he was deaf.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

There was nothing interesting about Johnny Klebitz when we first met him in GTA IV either!

From his twitchy movements, his first words being "YO!", and that general drug addled exterior didn't contributed much to what he actually turned out to be.

Which isn't saying he was a saint in disguise, but he wasn't that much of a drug peddler thug as he originally appeared to be.

And Luis Lopez was basically that 'guy' that we spotted on three different occasions, that's about it too.

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:17 AM

They some what made up for the disappointment of IV, but not all the way.

The Lost and the Damned had it's fun moments.

The Balled of Gay Tony was f*cking boring and I didn't even finish it I was so bored.

The games are already hard enough with the terrible engine and mechanics but in TBoGT you just can't kill enough guys in a mission.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:09 AM Edited by Nameless Foot Soldier, 24 November 2013 - 12:14 AM.

I feel I'm one of those few people that loved the dark atmosphere of GTA IV and Niko's story to a level of over appreciation. One of the most perfect storylines ever made. World and themes were beyond beautiful. It's the game that claims my heart. That didn't change for The Lost and Damned. That was a beautiful work of art and a wonderful social interpretation of the lower portion of life in Liberty City, the rotten apple of the world. It was short and I feel there could have been just a few little additions but it was absolutely beautiful. Than there was The Ballad of Gay Tony. I really love the Ballad of Gay Tony, a lot. My appreciation never drooped when I got a hold of it. My head was never filled with bullsh*t of "Trying to cater to San An fans". No, what TBoGT brings to the table is amazing. Set in the high life of the greatest city in the world, the city that runs the world. Why not add that part of Liberty City? The part that runs the high society in the Big Apple? The Ballad also plays on some of the themes of GTA IV's story. The 3 classes of people within the entire trinity of every story in GTA IV. 1) The poor and used, one's looking for the dream or trying to get it to work. Often abused and neglected. (Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and Damned). 2) The depressed and broken. Trying to make enough to get by and don't care about living high and mighty (Grand Theft Auto IV: The American Dream). 3) The powerful, wealthy and corrupt, surrounded by liars, assholes and pure greed (Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony). I also enjoy the glamor of Liberty City. The bright lights and the neon, juicy colors. I also do not think the story is over the top. I think it parallels to the insanity of wealth and power in Liberty City. Work for the crazies and do the crazy stuff. The story also had well defined themes and symbolic natures throughout the story. Knowing who your friends really are (everyone in TBoGT lies to one or another and everyone is an asshole to everyone, even Luis's friends and mother). The level of insanity with money (Everyone who has money apparently lost their mind. The sacrifice of wealth is personal values and respectable humanitarian attitudes). The darkness of crime hidden in fancy lights and high end glamor (that speaks for itself). The character development of Luis and his trust with Tony, something that climaxes to a gun pointed to Tony's head and every asshole east side of Liberty City wanting both Luis and Tony dead. Sure, some can say Luis is an asshole and a womanizer but that kind of culture exist. None of the GTA character are supposed to be role modes of the ideal person, most are hypocrites. Luis embodies that culture of modern, mainstream life that many find distasteful. You know what Johnny embodies? That grungy, murdering, brutal meth head who kills other people for drugs and territory. But there's so much more to it than that. And that goes for the same thing in Luis.

• SonOfLiberty and namor like this

Katve
  • Katve

Lost in Liberty City

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

I loved idea of Episodes where there is two bigger DLC instead of many little ones. Both of them bring some great improvements. In my opinion Tlad has more interesting story and Tbogt was made to fit in all the free roam features like Buzzard, parachute and some new cool vehicles. Those features wouldn't have fit in Tlad. I kinda also liked Tbogt story but Tlad and original IV was far more interesting. In my opinion Rockstar did DLC for IV pretty nicely and I fear that V will got too many little DLC's.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

I think with these DLC's R* wanted to expand on the content, and not story. While TLaD had a really interesting and good story from my point of view, TBoGT's story was average. But I have to say that TBoGT is a whole lot better than GTA 4, wish it had more missions.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

I also do not think the story is over the top. I think it parallels to the insanity of wealth and power in Liberty City. Work for the crazies and do the crazy stuff. The story also had well defined themes and symbolic natures throughout the story. Knowing who your friends really are (everyone in TBoGT lies to one or another and everyone is an asshole to everyone, even Luis's friends and mother). The level of insanity with money (Everyone who has money apparently lost their mind. The sacrifice of wealth is personal values and respectable humanitarian attitudes). The darkness of crime hidden in fancy lights and high end glamor (that speaks for itself). The character development of Luis and his trust with Tony, something that climaxes to a gun pointed to Tony's head and every asshole east side of Liberty City wanting both Luis and Tony dead.

But problem is that none of these story motifs were exclusive to the Ballad of Gay Tony.

The constant pursuit for wealth, fame and respect, and the insanity that ensues were already tackled in GTA IV. Difference being that Ballad adds a higher and more flashy cinematography to it. It's the same elements pushed to eleven, and ends up feeling flat and unsympathetic in the process. Characters in Ballad behave more like caricatures and tropes than actual broken and flawed human beings, pushed and oppressed by the various demands of the already over-the-top society.

I've seen this remark about how all the characters in Ballad lies to one or another before. And yes, it's true about that, but it's a trope that had already occurred before and done with better drama and irony.

Niko being tasked with killing a target and later pretend to be innocent of the ordeal had much more weight than a couple of Ballad of characters wanting to impress one another by hiding their insecurities. And when Johnny sees his organization falls apart due to a lack of trust it had more profound effect than this "friendship no matter what" deal Luis and Tony had.

Not the least of which is how everything is being treated in such a off-hand manner it is difficult to treat it seriously. Tony's debt leads to Luis performing various stunts around the cities, and things explode here and there for the simple sake of it.

Yet even if we are to treat Ballad's gameplay first and leave the narrative in the background, it is still a flat experience. The new toys are under-used and the shootouts have neither improved nor retained the same atmospheric feel Lost and Damned and IV had.

I don't mind over-the-top elements, I liked San Andreas as much as I liked IV.

But at least do it right, otherwise, it's a forced facade on a landscape that didn't needed it in the first place.

All in all though Episodes of Liberty City was a great value for its price tag, and i'm sorry to hear that Rockstar were disappointed with the sales results.

I certainly would value more efforts like Episodes than the cheap grind of Undead Nightmare, even if the latter had a much more popular reception for whatever reasons. 

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

I love TLaD and TBoGT, it's for me the best DLC for a game like GTA.

It's even better when you have them on GTA IV, because you got the music from TLaD and TBoGT in GTA IV's radio :D .

I would love to have one or two DLC like that in GTA V. Los Santos and Blaine County have so much potential to have other stories like EFLC.

GTA V failed in the story, but they can fix that by making again DLC like EFLC, with or without a new protagonist :) .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users