Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA V = Game of the year?

79 replies to this topic

Poll: GTA V (184 member(s) have cast votes)

GTA V = Game of the year?

1. Yes (117 votes [63.59%])

Percentage of vote: 63.59%

2. No (67 votes [36.41%])

Percentage of vote: 36.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote
TheDust
  • TheDust

Peon

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

Yeah the game would have been the game of the year if it included a damn forest.

Instead the "countryside" was simply more than just a couple of trees scattered here and there. Where the f*ck is the forest?

Where!

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:10 AM

If GTA V gets game of the year then its a slap in the face to real games. 

Translation: I don't like this game so that means true gamers must agree with me!
I'm getting sick of your attitude. You never seem to grasp the concept that some people have different opinions to you. You regard everything you say as a fact.
If GTA V wins GOTY, it's a slap in the face for people who don't like the game.
  • nuer, Lock N' Stock, word is bond and 1 other like this

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

Don't Mind Me...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:15 AM

Well all the other candidates have been unable to generate the hype of V. The mysteries, conspiracies, and media attacks around it are unparalleled. GTA V is a game everyone knows about, and given how these awards are based solely on popularity rather than actual quality, I'm pretty certain V's got it in the bag. It took me a second or two to remember the name of the Cod released this year. Just goes to show you how memorable it was.

vashts1985
  • vashts1985

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:20 AM

not really but its gonna get it anyways.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:21 AM

It can be.

The only problem this game really haves is people who play it, they want really much from it and its thing that don't even fit the game's theme, they don't even explore it before fully judging it.

Yes the A.I might not like you but take a look at this: Who the heck wants a Black Though Gangster, a Middle aged cynical man with temper issues and a Drugged up Fully pshycopatic with hygiene issues to stand REALLY near to them?

Wouldn't you creep out if all of the sudden someone who fits one of those three descriptions gets really close to you?

The game is still going to be updated, at the moment we have a beautifully detailed City with life going on in it, it might not be what R* promised but it is close enough, but seriously how real would it be if one of those three stole a cop car and all of the sudden they know how to Access a Police Computer or Ambulance radio and go in the search for Criminals that cops could of had taken care of or a guy who is bleeding but magically can get up and get inside in the back of your ambulance without help?

Gang wars would make sense if Lamar asked Franklin for some time of help if the Gang Green want to expand their turf.

But at the time, things people want are nonsense or don't even fit the game's thematic.

You want interiors just to have a big ass shootout? Go to the Police Station or the Bank next to the Chinese Theatrer, the very much reason you can't go to a hospital now is because R* are trying to play safe, I remember hearing somewhere that they got sued due to the fact you could go inside those hospitals in IV and mow down sick people and nurses, people that can't defend themselves.

• Shootaholic and ten-a-penny like this

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

Yes!

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

I think it deserves the title.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:30 AM Edited by Raavi, 23 October 2013 - 02:34 AM.

Simply put no. However unfortunately there isn't anything else that's even close to GTA V in terms of, for lack of better words 'hype' (side-note: I absolutely hate using that word) and since these things are just popularity contests, GTA V will undoubtedly come out on top. 

dontneedanotherusername
  • dontneedanotherusername

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:36 AM

Single player is epic. Great dialogue, characters, missions, chakra attack, etc. Trevor is amazing. That being said I loved almost all of story mode,but online is a mess when I make good progress cloud screws me over and when something stoooooopid happens like getting kicked while painting my car cloud has no problem eating my car and saving that woohoo :p
I still love you rockstar but you're fawqing my sh*t up royally.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:37 AM

Translation: I don't like this game so that means true gamers must agree with me!
I'm getting sick of your attitude. You never seem to grasp the concept that some people have different opinions to you. You regard everything you say as a fact.
If GTA V wins GOTY, it's a slap in the face for people who don't like the game.

Exactly. What is and isn't a real game anyway? I hate this attitude that everybody must think the way a person does or else they are somehow lesser or inferior.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:44 AM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 23 October 2013 - 02:53 AM.

imo yes  i found the likes of the  last of us and bioshoke Infinite  both Very  Boring. 

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:10 AM

It's either between The Last of Us or GTA V for me. It was like this in 2011 with Skyrim and Portal 2 and 2010 with Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2.

The Last of Us for story telling and very tight and intense gameplay.

GTA V for fun gameplay, lasting appeal and online aspect.

Those two are probably going to win the most GOTY rewards from sites, and are my two favorite games of the year so far. But Ni No Kuni is up there. Rayman Legends deserves a shoutout. Bioshock Infinite is solid too, but I think the game is known for story than great gameplay.

I heard Gone Home is a super darkhouse and is really good. It'll probably get story of the year. 

So, to be honest, there are a lot of great games that came out this year. I would expect all of them would steal GOTYs at some sites. But so far, TLOU and GTA V are my favorites. It seems to be the majority of everyone else favorites as well.

• Lock N' Stock likes this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

Surprised that 30% of people in a GTA forum don't want it to be GOTY. Honestly -- set your expectations way too high.

Anyway, the only competitor it has is The Last of Us, which as amazing as the story was, really can't compete in terms of overall fun, gameplay mechanics, and lasting appeal.

• rohra likes this

rohra
  • rohra

ROHRA

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

Surprised that 30% of people in a GTA forum don't want it to be GOTY. Honestly -- set your expectations way too high.

Anyway, the only competitor it has is The Last of Us, which as amazing as the story was, really can't compete in terms of overall fun, gameplay mechanics, and lasting appeal.

I remember each moment i felt for the characters Joel and Elle.. It was a beautiful story and emotionally driven.. it had certain elements that were fun and overall the game was one of the most memorable games to date.. after red dead redemption and la noire , skyrim etc.. 

Gta 5 on the other hand was made for sales.. just sales.. r* just wants sales.. they can hype up any crap small detail.. but the fact is that gta 5 is a game with no Memories.. just Pale and boring.. perfected Mechanics my ass... i rather have an engaging story to play with...

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

The biggest complaint I have about The Last of Us is the AI. Naughtydog hyped up the AI saying how it'll be the best AI in video game ever and their "balance of power" AI will be next gen status. But it turned out to be disappointing. The stealth mechanics of the AI aren't better than Splinter Cell or MGS. It's like on par with Batman Arkham series, which isn't a bad thing, but it isn't revolutionary.

It also have a few hiccups in the gameplay, sound, and etc. Most ppl mention the story than the actual AI of the game, which kind'a shows that Naughtydog failed of what they tried to actual do. Hell, more ppl mention the story than actual gameplay, which amaze the hell of me. The gameplay itself was fun, but more ppl are more in awe with the story than the gameplay of the game.

Oh well though. It's still one of the best experiences you'll ever in a game.

727gta
  • 727gta

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:37 AM Edited by 727gta, 23 October 2013 - 06:38 AM.

Um, you do know this is a forum to discuss GTA(good or bad) not just praise it? My expectations were not GOTY so that is why I voted no. Why can't you grasp that other people just don't like this game over other games they have played this year. 

thieves
  • thieves

Prankster

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:29 AM Edited by thieves, 23 October 2013 - 07:47 AM.

I think games have evolved to the point where you can't just label one game as GOTY anymore to be honest.

It is like having just one Oscar available for "best movie" for all the movies out there.

I do think GTA will walk away with the "GOTY" though, and that is more than fine with me, even though i personally like TLoU more myself.

Both games are crafted with so much detail and love, they both deserve multiple Oscars imo.

It is just that....you know......Oh Hell.......

WHY DID YOU LIE TO HER JOEL?......WHY??? YOU TEXAN BASTARD?....YOU SWORE!!!.......WHYYYYYYYYYYY?

*runs of crying*

roostersrule2
  • roostersrule2

I'm Batman

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Bioshock Infinite vs The Last of Us are the only true master piece games.

GTA V focus too much on GTA Online which is now even worst from patches. There was no reason to cut half the missions money. Some missions you lose money due to buying ammo. Next is there still isn't any heist, that's one of the main reasons people wanted to play GTA Online. Racing gets you more money then missions until Rockstar patches that. Then they try to pay it off and saying they did this to balance in game economy. If the few glitches there way to get money don't punish the good and honest people. Then when online you don't even play GTA. You can't blow people's cars up cause you will be a bad sport. You won't be able to play with friends if your a bad sport for 2 REAL LIFE DAYS. Didn't they see all the hate Black Ops 2 got for a similar system? 

Now lets go to Single Player. 69 missions and a good 15 - 20 missions are heist setups. The characters were boring and no where close to the past GTA characters. The activities itself feels fun but lack a lot of other activities. Half the content for Single Player was cut to make it for GTA Online only. Underwater life is useless and could of used that space for a smaller city or expand a town or even make a forest. Limited clothes for each protagonist creates lack of customization. 

TLOU is a movie more then it is a game. I'm yet to play Bioshock because I'm really not into FPS but I will try it some day.

The most gamey game out there is GTA, I don't even need to explain why.

GTA V=GOTY

LateNightNeons
  • LateNightNeons

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

Definitely. It's too bad that it's on the same year as TLOU, because I believe it deserves multiple awards including GOTYs, but GTA V, apart from being two different games, is simply on another level in almost every aspect.

Bioshock Infinite was not really that great, it wasn't better than say Bioshock 1 and it's not the best story driven shooter of this year either. Metro Last Light deserves a lot more.

Rayman Legends, now I am not really the biggest platformer fan, but dare I say it's the best plaformer I have ever played?

Overall a great year, waiting to play Battlefield 4, GT6, Beyond two souls.

JmanBassman
  • JmanBassman

Wheelman For Hire

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

I voted No. It's not that I don't enjoy the game I just think it's mainly the way they went about the Online portion with all the problems, issues, bugs and the lack of testing. This game shouldn't be game of the year. If it was only single player then yes definitely but oh well, still I'm not gunna stop playing it :lol:

Shadow__Hazard
  • Shadow__Hazard

~Live~to~Ride~

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

Nope. I don't think GTA V deserves GOTY. It's a good game, sure, but that's just it - merely 'good'. It's nothing special, nor is it really memorable or even interesting at all like some other game(s) that have a storyline, setting, characters, etc., that a lot of people will NEVER forget. But this is just another GTA. It is just a game, whereas others (like The Last of Us), are so much more than that.

Silent Dogwood
  • Silent Dogwood

Genuine Wole

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

It'll be the Last of Us. I haven't played it, I don't intend to play it anytime soon. But just looking at the kinda of community it's built, especially around big news editors like IGN, it's easy to say that it'll win, or at least come in a close second.

V's had a shaky launch, and some even shakier reception lately from the fanbase due to its horrible Online launch. More and more complaints are arising about V, but none for The Last Of Us, except that it's DLC seems to be primarily multiplayer focused.

Shootaholic
  • Shootaholic

zzzz....

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

I don't think these linear games should win when we have a game with almost everything and a sh*tload of content. 

cheetah_7
  • cheetah_7

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yes, but I don't think its the game of the generation that it should've been 

BurnCK
  • BurnCK

Trick

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

GTA Online is good, but as far as single player games go I was more gripped playing The Last of Us. 

GTA had the potential to be excellent, but compared to previous GTA titles, the game lacks so much depth. 

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:55 PM Edited by bish0p2004, 23 October 2013 - 12:56 PM.

It can be.

The only problem this game really haves is people who play it, they want really much from it and its thing that don't even fit the game's theme, they don't even explore it before fully judging it.

How the hell do you know that?  It's like, people want you to not judge a game in a negative manner until you've played it...then when you do play it and have a negative judgment, then of course you haven't fully explored it or some other bs line from a fan that can't see any flaw with a game.

Yes the A.I might not like you but take a look at this: Who the heck wants a Black Though Gangster, a Middle aged cynical man with temper issues and a Drugged up Fully pshycopatic with hygiene issues to stand REALLY near to them?

Seriously?  You're being truly delusional by trying to rationalize a gameplay feature that makes no sense.  What world are you living in where people call the cops on a "cynical" white man in a suit who stands to close to them?  I mean, if you're in a clothing store and stand next to an NPC for too long as a Michael, it's the same result (them eventually calling the police) as if you were Trevor.  It's either laziness on R*'s part, or limitation in hardware that the NPC's can't tell the difference.  I'm going to go with the former as you do get different reactions in certain situations such as NPC's automatically telling Trevor something is wrong with him as he passes by them, versus them saying nothing to Franklin and Michael. 

Wouldn't you creep out if all of the sudden someone who fits one of those three descriptions gets really close to you?

A crazy looking white guy like Trevor?  Yes.  Franklin and Michael? No.

The game is still going to be updated, at the moment we have a beautifully detailed City with life going on in it, it might not be what R* promised but it is close enough, but seriously how real would it be if one of those three stole a cop car and all of the sudden they know how to Access a Police Computer or Ambulance radio and go in the search for Criminals that cops could of had taken care of or a guy who is bleeding but magically can get up and get inside in the back of your ambulance without help?

Really?  So, the fact that you can do things like get shot more than 3 times and still function normally, carry a rocket launcher in your pocket, or slow down time while driving didn't clue you in to this being a game that is not based in reality?  Stop trying to rationalize this stuff.  These are not the reasons R* didn't include these features.  The bottom line is, we don't know why...but I can guarantee you that your line of thinking is definitely not the reason.

• ten-a-penny likes this

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

كساااد

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:57 PM Edited by ten-a-penny, 23 October 2013 - 02:11 PM.

It can be.

Gang wars would make sense if Lamar asked Franklin for some time of help if the Gang Green want to expand their turf.

But at the time, things people want are nonsense or don't even fit the game's thematic.

You want interiors just to have a big ass shootout? Go to the Police Station or the Bank next to the Chinese Theater, the very much reason you can't go to a hospital now is because R* are trying to play safe, I remember hearing somewhere that they got sued due to the fact you could go inside those hospitals in IV and mow down sick people and nurses, people that can't defend themselves.

cannot agree more! :^:

I was gonna say the same but my mind went blank and didn't find any good point to start.

seriously! people these days judge games even BEFORE they even finished the first mission! :wtf:

you want a realistic GTA? then you have it! even after you get it, you STILL complain about it! :sui:

(Q) why cars explode when had a huge jump? :panic:

(A) didn't you say you want a realistic game? push a car out of a mountain. what You'll find? :bored:

(Q) in every time I hit a vehicle, the driver dies :angry:

(A) first of all, realized that was in IV either. second, if you had an accident, are you gonna survive a hit-back from another lighting-speed car? :wtf:

(Q) mainly I was kinda hate this. not angry and pissed of but still angry from it. when I make a jump by my bike from a mountain, what I find later is the wasted screen :panic:

(A) what will happen to you if you jumped on your bike from a mountain? this isn't SA :p (atleast SA had an exude. 3d game? how you aspect a realistic 3d game like this? :pp)

(Q) [email protected] THE COPS! R* what's wrong with you? :rampage:

(A) you think that the police will kiss your ass like SA? :pp what I know, three-bullets kill. unlike in SA and IV *not sure about IV* that even RIFLES wont kill you with ease! :wtf: and NOW its pretty realistic.

(Q) when I stand near someone, they call the police! :wtf:

(A) as stated above (in the quote), even I will freak out if an insane guy stand too long nearby me even if I carry my AK! (you know the bonus of being in the Libyan war :pp)

those are what came to my mind now.

EDIT: just remembered the driving

(Q) the driving engine is like an arcade game!

(A) first you was complaining about IV's driving being like driving a mountain that is moving! (like me, I only drive the NRG-900RR back there) now after its now like a feather, you complain again! :angry:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT STUPID THINGS AND LOOK FOR THE BRIGHT SIDE AND LEAVE THE NEGATIVE SIDE! there's nothing that doesn't have negative things! this game ain't Ace combat: assault Horizon or Skylanders: Spyro's adventure! if it is, then its fine. but the fact that the game broke the game-selling records with all these cool things!?!??

long story short. hate the game? trade it or give it to anyone and ignore it like it didn't come. :monocle: and stop overfilling the innocent GTA V/Forums section :^:

RockstarFanboy
  • RockstarFanboy

GTA #2 FANBOY / Loyal R* Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:31 PM Edited by RockstarFanboy, 23 October 2013 - 04:31 PM.

It can be.

You want interiors just to have a big ass shootout? Go to the Police Station or the Bank next to the Chinese Theater, the very much reason you can't go to a hospital now is because R* are trying to play safe, I remember hearing somewhere that they got sued due to the fact you could go inside those hospitals in IV and mow down sick people and nurses, people that can't defend themselves.

cannot agree more! :^:

I was gonna say the same but my mind went blank and didn't find any good point to start.

seriously! people these days judge games even BEFORE they even finished the first mission! :wtf:

you want a realistic GTA? then you have it! even after you get it, you STILL complain about it! :sui:

(Q) why cars explode when had a huge jump? :panic:

(A) didn't you say you want a realistic game? push a car out of a mountain. what You'll find? :bored:

(Q) in every time I hit a vehicle, the driver dies :angry:

(A) first of all, realized that was in IV either. second, if you had an accident, are you gonna survive a hit-back from another lighting-speed car? :wtf:

(Q) mainly I was kinda hate this. not angry and pissed of but still angry from it. when I make a jump by my bike from a mountain, what I find later is the wasted screen :panic:

(A) what will happen to you if you jumped on your bike from a mountain? this isn't SA :p (atleast SA had an exude. 3d game? how you aspect a realistic 3d game like this? :pp)

(Q) [email protected] THE COPS! R* what's wrong with you? :rampage:

(A) you think that the police will kiss your ass like SA? :pp what I know, three-bullets kill. unlike in SA and IV *not sure about IV* that even RIFLES wont kill you with ease! :wtf: and NOW its pretty realistic.

(Q) when I stand near someone, they call the police! :wtf:

(A) as stated above (in the quote), even I will freak out if an insane guy stand too long nearby me even if I carry my AK! (you know the bonus of being in the Libyan war :pp)

those are what came to my mind now.

EDIT: just remembered the driving

(Q) the driving engine is like an arcade game!

(A) first you was complaining about IV's driving being like driving a mountain that is moving! (like me, I only drive the NRG-900RR back there) now after its now like a feather, you complain again! :angry:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT STUPID THINGS AND LOOK FOR THE BRIGHT SIDE AND LEAVE THE NEGATIVE SIDE! there's nothing that doesn't have negative things! this game ain't Ace combat: assault Horizon or Skylanders: Spyro's adventure! if it is, then its fine. but the fact that the game broke the game-selling records with all these cool things!?!??

long story short. hate the game? trade it or give it to anyone and ignore it like it didn't come. :monocle: and stop overfilling the innocent GTA V/Forums section :^:

totally agree, focusing on the negative points of a game will just ruin the experience for you...

• ten-a-penny likes this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

I think yes. It deserves it IMO. Perfect GTA game for me, though there are flaws. For example, they could have implemented heists in free roam in single player, and I doubt after that any retards here would complain. Then they could have added a fully interior'd mall and airport which would have made the experience 10x better. Plane physics sucks ass. That's all.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

The biggest complaint I have about The Last of Us is the AI. Naughtydog hyped up the AI saying how it'll be the best AI in video game ever and their "balance of power" AI will be next gen status. But it turned out to be disappointing. The stealth mechanics of the AI aren't better than Splinter Cell or MGS. It's like on par with Batman Arkham series, which isn't a bad thing, but it isn't revolutionary.

It also have a few hiccups in the gameplay, sound, and etc. Most ppl mention the story than the actual AI of the game, which kind'a shows that Naughtydog failed of what they tried to actual do. Hell, more ppl mention the story than actual gameplay, which amaze the hell of me. The gameplay itself was fun, but more ppl are more in awe with the story than the gameplay of the game.

Oh well though. It's still one of the best experiences you'll ever in a game.

Agreed 100%. Definitely one of the best gaming experiences you'll get in the entire generation, but that's mostly based on its amazing story (best story in the generation imo) and narrative (also best). The game itself was not outstanding in terms of gameplay - it was good, but it was nothing special. Had it been an amazing story with amazing gameplay (like Red Dead Redemption), then I think it could have seriously topped GTA V. But, I think by having such a mind-blowing story, they limit themselves in the gameplay department... it's a paradox lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users