Quantcast

» «
Photo

IS GTA V Too Scripted !?

51 replies to this topic

Poll: IS GTA V Too Scripted !? (94 member(s) have cast votes)

IS GTA V Too Scripted !?

1. Yes - 100% YES - WAY too much scripting (39 votes [41.49%])

Percentage of vote: 41.49%

2. No - 100% No - The scripting is minimal (6 votes [6.38%])

Percentage of vote: 6.38%

3. Yes and No - There is scripting but it justifies the missions (42 votes [44.68%])

Percentage of vote: 44.68%

4. None of these options represent my view (6 votes [6.38%])

Percentage of vote: 6.38%

5. There is more scripting in GTA V than Heavy Rain (1 votes [1.06%])

Percentage of vote: 1.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Kent_Paul_Jnr
  • Kent_Paul_Jnr

lets bounce

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

My main issue is that for the best open world game there is so much scripting in and out of missions sometimes I feel like I am playing another game,  I don't feel the openness of past titles. And sure some direction is needed for the missions but they all feel canned, and even the multiple characters in missions is canned as the switching is mainly at pre determined points and you cant choose which of the 3 characters goes on even simple missions that wouldn't effect the story arc.

3 examples.

1st example is ironically the 1st mission -  a scripted sequence, follow Lamar in car,,,, great !! Freedom to explore....

The first mission is not even clear that you are not to take him over :(

2nd example - Prologue mission - when driving - if you come off the road you get mission failure lol - what a joke and so restrictive.

3rd example - Many missions fail you trying something new or searching for other vehicles or "leaving the area" lol

I know there is a fine balance between freedom and fun mission design but R* seems to be taking it too far

what do you think

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hate it.

Too much scripted.

Lc gta
  • Lc gta

Mr. Excitement

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

I tend to agree compared to earlier Gta's which most allowed you to comptele missions your own way.

Gta 5.of missions are heavily scripted.  You have to complete them Rockstars way.

• Kent_Paul_Jnr likes this

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:47 PM Edited by bicycles?, 22 October 2013 - 02:54 PM.

- Even the "cover system" relies on scripting. You can only take cover behind predesignated cover spots that you're standing against.

- In one of the early missions, something shown in the trailers, where you pull down a guy's porch with a truck,  the first thing I tried to do was reverse the truck to put some slack in the line... Nope, can't reverse, can only go the direction the game tells you to go.

- Other stuff from the trailers that you can only do when instructed to, and nowhere else in the game: grabbing people/taking hostages, repelling/using ropes, damaging brick walls, etc..

- Then there are the missions where you have to "race" or "catch" someone, and no matter how good/fast you drive, or how slow of a vehicle they're driving, you're always behind them until the designated meeting spot.

- What about failing missions because you finish them too soon, or complete the directive before being told when to start...

- or trying to get out of cars that are slowly sliding downhill...

- You don't even have any control over whether you're throwing a kick or a punch...

SO much about this game is scripted garbage.

I bought it for the freeplay, and hated it from the first hour or two of play.  Then you see all these posts saying "we finished all the missions, now what?" and... this game just f*cking sucks.

Sure the graphics and voice actors are great, and I bet it's fun playing with people online, but as a standalone offline GAME, compared to fun, longtime-playable games from the past two decades, it's just horsesh*t.

• Duxfever, Kent_Paul_Jnr and ThinRedLine1981 like this

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:01 PM Edited by bicycles?, 22 October 2013 - 03:10 PM.

1st example is ironically the 1st mission -  a scripted sequence, follow Lamar in car,,,, great !! Freedom to explore....

Actually, the VERY FIRST MISSION, the one you're in when you first start the game "9 years ago" in the place with the snow [that you can only access on-mission] ...

You flee a shootout and have to beat a train crossing to lose the cops.

No matter how you get to that traintrack - you could be reversing across it or basically stopping in front of it - the resulting animation is the same; your suburban is speeding, heading forwards, and gets hit on a rear side panel and spun around into a tree. 

I know it's not an important part of a major mission or anything, but it's scripting, and it's lame, and the kind of realistic damage your truck takes from the train and from hitting the tree (which was also in a trailer, wasn't it?) is nowhere to be seen in freeplay.

they scammed a bunch of people and made a ton of money, and it's sickening.  I swear it's a joke on all of us.

• Nick, Tikhung, Kent_Paul_Jnr and 1 other like this

Kent_Paul_Jnr
  • Kent_Paul_Jnr

lets bounce

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:12 PM Edited by Kent_Paul_Jnr, 22 October 2013 - 03:20 PM.

double post.

Kent_Paul_Jnr
  • Kent_Paul_Jnr

lets bounce

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

- Then there are the missions where you have to "race" or "catch" someone, and no matter how good/fast you drive, or how slow of a vehicle they're driving, you're always behind them until the designated meeting spot.

For an Open world game - R* has thrown lots and lots of  "invisible walls" into the franchise,  in RDR or previous R* games  I never ran into so many fail screens for exploring or trying to have fun,  its a shame for the series.

Reading your comments again - esp. about the speed of your vehicle - the police feel scripted this time too - every chase feels "samey"

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

turn the invincibility and exploding ammo cheats on, then ride the train around shooting cops/helicopters for a few laps around the map if you really want to get bummed out/bored by the scripting/spawning...

So many older games, even as far back as ps1/n64, did so many things better...

• Tikhung and Kent_Paul_Jnr like this

natelovesgta
  • natelovesgta

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

I agree. I have played every GTA and for years I even explored Liberty City just doing stuff, but this World seems more restrictive or something. I hated failing missions when i saw something cool i wanted to explore! I find myself getting bored faster too in free roam. I miss being able to just fly around in a Buzzard blowing things up and shooting at pedestrians but you cant even fly the thing so whats the point. Again same thing happens no matter the weather....everything is predictable. 

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

I don't know if it's scripting or just bad writing. I'd say the latter.

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

GTA has always been a very scripted game. That's really part of the appeal though. Imagine chasing someone you were assigned to kill and you catch them a block or two into the chase. That would be far less exciting than an extensive, two or three mile chase that ends in a ditch somewhere in the sticks. It's funny when Rockstar claims to add a feature that's "dynamic" because I always remember, GTA is scripted to hell. Nothing about it is dynamic.

You should know by now all of the random encounters are in a predesignated location. Nothing random about any of it.

The worst use of scripting in a GTA game thus far comes in V actually. When you're in a police chase and you're rammed from behind, your car will automatically go swerving left or right. You can do nothing to stop this from happening. Very cheesy.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

I agree. I have played every GTA and for years I even explored Liberty City just doing stuff, but this World seems more restrictive or something. I hated failing missions when i saw something cool i wanted to explore! I find myself getting bored faster too in free roam. I miss being able to just fly around in a Buzzard blowing things up and shooting at pedestrians but you cant even fly the thing so whats the point. Again same thing happens no matter the weather....everything is predictable. 

That's the word I've been trying to find. Restrictive. That is how I feel every time I free roam. In IV I could freeroam for so long because I could do anything. I felt free and the cheats were fun too.

Now, I don't know V just seems like a bit of a slight flop to gain lots of money for the company. So many missed opportunities, just... Ugh.
  • ThinRedLine1981 likes this

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

EVEN the ´´Random`` events are counted, in RDR we would get them randomly, and all missions on North Yankton are jokes. I failed WAY more missions on a GTA game i ever played in this, you GOT to do the way they want it, it seems they have forgotten their game frenchise got famous over it`s free roam capabilitys. 

• Tikhung likes this

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

^ Just before/at the time of the release, someone 'leaked' a list of all the missions.

I was kind of confused about the CHECKLIST of 'random events'...

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:11 AM Edited by Lanzfeld113, 23 October 2013 - 04:11 AM.

Yes this GTA makes me "meh" more than ever. 

This will be my last GTA and no DLC for me.

You had to try and reinvent the wheel didn't you?

f*ckin fa**ots

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:28 AM Edited by Vatus, 23 October 2013 - 05:35 AM.

What? All GTAs are pretty much like that. I don't see the big deal with complaining over it unless you want to change how the formula works.

Starting from the 3d era like GTA3, Vice City, and SA it's always been like that. The missions within those games you still have to "follow" a NCP and if you get too far away, you lose. Or if get away from the car that R* wanted you to drive, you have mission failure. That's always been there. That never changed within a GTA game. I don't really see it as a fault. Play the old games again and you'll see they have basically the same thing. "Blow up the car and then leave the area", "Get back into the vehicle",  and "All you had to do was follow the damn train CJ".

The scripting within the game justify the missions. The GTA series always did that. You still have freedom in how you want to do certain things, but what you ppl are complaining about has always been there.

I always thought that GTA 4 was the worst at the heavily scripted events because they didn't disguise it well enough. Especially with the car chasing scenes. I feel like you get more random events within some missions in GTA V.

The only games that have actual freedom in how you want to do to finish the quest are games like Dishonored, Fallout New Vegas and FO 1/2, and TES series.  Mostly Bethesda and games or it's produced by them. And you have Black Isle games as well. Just play those games for ultimate freedom in how you want to complete questing/missions.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:34 AM

This isn't true; in order to get gold on that mission you have to beat him to the destination, so you can pass him.

Anyway, as Vatus says, there's always been scripting in GTA missions. 

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:42 AM

yeah, but they also had a ton more freeplay/BASIC gameplay features that are missing from gtaV.

More scripting + less fun stuff for you to do = ?

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:00 AM Edited by Vatus, 23 October 2013 - 06:01 AM.

yeah, but they also had a ton more freeplay/BASIC gameplay features that are missing from gtaV.

More scripting + less fun stuff for you to do = ?

Haha! Like what?

The only GTA game that have more features than GTA V is GTA: SA. But I would to know what type of basic features are you talking about with the freeplay.

And I would like to remind you that we are moving away from main topic as well by talking about freeplay.

Hortey
  • Hortey

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

The story is controlled and the free roam is completely open.  That and online is also pretty much "do whatever you want" as you can stop mid mission and go to ammunation for a gun upgrade, bank your cash at an atm, buy some clothes, drive home and switch your car, THEN finish the mission.

wolfeskimo
  • wolfeskimo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

My main issue is that for the best open world game there is so much scripting in and out of missions sometimes I feel like I am playing another game,  I don't feel the openness of past titles. And sure some direction is needed for the missions but they all feel canned, and even the multiple characters in missions is canned as the switching is mainly at pre determined points and you cant choose which of the 3 characters goes on even simple missions that wouldn't effect the story arc.

3 examples.

2nd example - Prologue mission - when driving - if you come off the road you get mission failure lol - what a joke and so restrictive.

3rd example - Many missions fail you trying something new or searching for other vehicles or "leaving the area" lol

I know there is a fine balance between freedom and fun mission design but R* seems to be taking it too far

what do you think

Since they implant that stupid gold,silver, etc on DLC GTA IV you end rushing to finish missions in Rockstar's way. I never care about gold our silver...i will do it my way.

Prywante
  • Prywante

:)

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Hate it.

Too much scripted.

+1.

Kent_Paul_Jnr
  • Kent_Paul_Jnr

lets bounce

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

This isn't true; in order to get gold on that mission you have to beat him to the destination, so you can pass him.

There are atleast ten other missions I could list that clarify my point, and yes there has always been scripting in GTA,  there were just less "INVISIBLE WALLS"  and the scripting made the story , missions flow not scripting that made u fail the missions,

Lots of missions now have so many stupid failure states taking away the freedom to be inventive.

Logum
  • Logum

Crystal Clear

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

if you want complete missions the way you want, just play Hitman. (Not absolution though)

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

What if we just want to do the stuff shown in the trailers? 

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Coded. Not stirred.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

Now, guys, the real question is. Which is more scripted? GTA V or a Call of Duty game?

Kent_Paul_Jnr
  • Kent_Paul_Jnr

lets bounce

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Now, guys, the real question is. Which is more scripted? GTA V or a Call of Duty game?

off topic  - Checked out GTA Vice City Serbain

Check NIko dancing in the club - LMAO

http://youtu.be/t_JwSmVp_IQ

Nick
  • Nick

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

So many horrible players in this topic.

Pathetic how everyone complains about the stupid sh*t, but not the things that matter.

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

What makes it so bad is that they advertised the game as if we were able to plan these heists all ourselves and make all these critical decisions and it would make a difference.

We can't.

We don't.

It doesn't.

GTA has always had some scripting. GTA V has the most of any of them.

It is boring and made for children.

f*ck you.

• ThinRedLine1981 likes this

bsnooch
  • bsnooch

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Just to chime in that the increased scripting in the missions probably comes from the deeper story line. When you want to feature an intricate story where characters are the focus, it is going to require tight interaction between characters and environments. You don't get that without a script, its like the basis of story-telling as we know it today, from the stage, to Cinema, to TV. Every show or movie that you love is based on the actors and environments being tightly controlled and following a script to tell a story. See what I mean?

Also on the heists, I totally understand what people mean, but in reality, please tell us how you would have had the heists play out to provide maximum freedom? They are setup the way they are because it is nearly impossible to program in a script for every possible method the player might try or every choice they might make. And also remember that its not just about the player, you also need to have all the other NPC characters on the heist doing something at all times (unless they just stand around when the player isn't controlling them). Its quite a task, when you think about it from the constraints of a video game engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users