Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

SPARKS, Nev. -- SPARKS, Nev. (AP) — A student at a Nevada middle school opened fire on campus just before the starting bell Monday, wounding two boys and killing a staff member who was trying to protect other children, Sparks police said Monday.

Twenty to thirty students were witnesses to the tragedy that also left the lone suspected gunman dead, police said. It's unclear whether the student committed suicide, but authorities say no shots were fired by law enforcement. Police said between 150 and 200 officers, including some from as far as 60 miles away, responded to the shooting.

"In my estimation, he is a hero ... We do know he was trying to intervene," Reno Deputy Police Chief Tom Robinson said about the fallen staff member.

The motive isn't yet known. Names of the suspect and victims haven't yet been released.

"As you can imagine, the best description is chaos," Robinson said. "It's too early to say whether he was targeting people or going on an indiscriminate shooting spree."

Students from the middle school and neighboring elementary school were evacuated to the nearby high school, and classes were canceled. The middle school will remain closed for the week.

At the evacuation center, parents comforted their children.

"We came flying down here to get our kids," said Mike Fiorica, whose nephew attends the school. "... It's really chaotic. You can imagine how parents are feeling. You don't know if your kid's OK."

One of the students injured in the violence that erupted around 7:15 a.m. is out of surgery and the other is doing well, according to police.

The shooting happened on the school's campus and ended outside the school building itself, according to police.

"I was deeply saddened to learn of the horrific shooting at Sparks Middle School this morning," Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval said in a statement extending his thoughts and prayers to those affected.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, offered his condolences to those who experienced "a traumatic morning."

"No words of condolence could possibly ease the pain, but I hope it is some small comfort that Nevada mourns with them," Reid said in a statement.

The school, located in a working class neighborhood, enrolls about 700 students in 7th and 8th grades.

The violence erupted nearly a year after a gunman horrified the nation by opening fire in Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., leaving 26 dead. The Dec. 14 shooting ignited debate over how best to protect the nation's schools and whether armed teachers should be part of that equation.

In a statement on the website of Sandy Hook Promise, a gun control advocacy group, Nicole Hockley, whose son Dylan was killed in the shooting said, "It's moments like this that demand that we unite as parents to find common sense solutions that keep our children_all children_safe, and prevent these tragedies from happening again and again."

Washoe County School District held a session in the spring in light of the Connecticut tragedy to educate parents on what safety measures the district takes.

Sparks, a city of roughly 90,000 that sprung out of the railway industry, lies just east of Reno.

Mayor Geno Martini spoke at a morning press conference to assure residents that the community was safe.

"It's a tragic day in the city of Sparks," he said. "This is just an isolated incident."

http://www.huffingto..._n_4136452.html

I go into my laundry room to use the wifi and some dude in there tells me about another school shooting and how it seems to be the new "normal" for us.

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Coke Baron

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

This better not Be "related" to Grand theft Auto which Media will likely put it that way.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

This better not Be "related" to Grand theft Auto which Media will likely put it that way.

I'll be willing to bet my entire model train collection that the news will try to put it to GTA, even though a middle schooler obviously shouldn't be playing it in the first place.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

I'm not about to crunch the numbers or anything, but This wiki entry for list of school shootings is pretty interesting.  It isn't like homicide in school is new, but I must say it seems oddly high for 2013(already).

I blame CoD.

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

I blame guns.

OnE3OWi.jpg

• trip likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:55 AM

Inb4theGunControlBrigade

stampede64c.gif

Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Ethiopia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

Inb4 everybody jumps on the anti gun and video game bandwagon before checking if the culprit had any mental health issues.

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:17 AM

Two wounded and one killed? What an amateur.

• TJGM likes this

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:29 AM

Y'know with all these school shooting this year people age going to start comparing them side by side. Like how this one's got far less casualties than others, but it still has other eye popping details, like how it's a middle school and not a college campus and whatnot.

I'll give it a week in the headlines before were back to the "Slut Hunt."

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:04 AM

Inb4 everybody jumps on the anti gun and video game bandwagon before checking if the culprit had any mental health issues.

Yes because there are a number of disorders in the DSM that list "shoots up schools" as a diagnostic criteria. Oh wait, no.

How anyone can blame "mental health issues" is astonishing. It doesn't explain why America sees such an exceptionally high amount of these instances, and it doesn't explain why firearms are (nearly) always involved. Any objective observer knows that America is saturated with violent media and bursting at the seams with firearms. It's not hard to put two and two together.

I don't know why people think they're clever by rolling their eyes and saying "lol and now people will try and blame this on guns and video games." Well yes, because cultural glorification of firearms, and incredibly easy access to firearms, are obviously to blame for instances like this. What, you think he just snapped one day and said "I have to shoot everyone at my school!" and would have done so in a culture free of guns and glorified gun violence?

And it ignores the fact that, without easy access to guns, he wouldn't have been able to do it at all, regardless of his intent.

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:22 AM

Yes because there are a number of disorders in the DSM that list "shoots up schools" as a diagnostic criteria. Oh wait, no.

But one's mental instability may consist of random acts of violent nature that, if guns became involved, could have culminated in a school shooting

How anyone can blame "mental health issues" is astonishing. It doesn't explain why America sees such an exceptionally high amount of these instances, and it doesn't explain why firearms are (nearly) always involved. Any objective observer knows that America is saturated with violent media and bursting at the seams with firearms. It's not hard to put two and two together.

Okay, but I have guns in my household and play violent video games daily. GASP! I haven't shot anyone yet! You could say I'm just one person, right? Among millions of others who have easy access to firearms and regularly view violent medias. How many shootings are on record this year? A quick glance at wikipedia (best possible source ikr) shows that 16 school shootings have been made public. 16 in every 300,000,000 Americans is not much to scoff at.

I don't know why people think they're clever by rolling their eyes and saying "lol and now people will try and blame this on guns and video games." Well yes, because cultural glorification of firearms, and incredibly easy access to firearms, are obviously to blame for instances like this. What, you think he just snapped one day and said "I have to shoot everyone at my school!" and would have done so in a culture free of guns and glorified gun violence?

Sure he could have snapped one day and decided it was time to get his revenge off society. What, have YOU never been pushed over the edge? Ever had a bad day, someone came along to make it worse, and that was the last straw? Using that logic it really doesn't account for mental instability, but mental instability speaks for itself.

And it ignores the fact that, without easy access to guns, he wouldn't have been able to do it at all, regardless of his intent.

Bullsh*t. He could have taken a knife or some other sharp object and gotten the same results. Granted it would have been much messier, but it could have very well ended the same way.

Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Ethiopia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:26 AM

I agree with the ease of access to guns being a part of it also but do you seriously think the only reason he was able to get hold of firearms is because they are legal? Do you not realise that even if guns were illegal there would still be ways to get access to them through the black market.

On the mental health issue side of the debate, it's definitely a contributing factor, nobody in a stable state of mind would carry out an act like this. People like this, that have mental health issues, that see the sensationalised news coverage of all the other incidents similar to this one think they'll come across as the anti hero they desperately want to be recognised as. Why do they want this recognition? Because they're f*cking nuts.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

Later, losers.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:30 AM

I blame guns.

OnE3OWi.jpg

d5c.jpg

A filthy trick, sir!

It's a shame. Sometimes I've really just wanted to kill some stupid teenager mocking a group of old people, but if I do I know I'll the cops will raid my house and find the video games and think that's what it is.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:33 AM

But one's mental instability may consist of random acts of violent nature that, if guns became involved, could have culminated in a school shooting

Granted, but then why is it always in a school, and why does it always involve guns instead of say, a fire? Seems oddly specific. Almost like the issue is inextricably linked to firearms and the media-consumption habits of a certain age group (people young enough to attend school). Let's be honest, if the issue was completely unrelated to guns and violent media, we'd see a lot more middle-aged people shooting up shopping malls. But no, it's almost always with a gun, and it's almost always in a school.

How many shootings are on record this year? A quick glance at wikipedia (best possible source ikr) shows that 16 school shootings have been made public. 16 in every 300,000,000 Americans is not much to scoff at.

Sixteen is a pretty huge figure when compared to the flat zero of most comparable nations.

Sure he could have snapped one day and decided it was time to get his revenge off society.

Yes, in an incredibly specific way, and with a dangerous tool that is far too easy to get a hold of.

Bullsh*t. He could have taken a knife or some other sharp object and gotten the same results. Granted it would have been much messier, but it could have very well ended the same way.

There aren't a great deal of "mass stabbings" though, are there? Which suggests that the psychology behind shooting someone and stabbing them is vastly different in American society.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:38 AM

Do you not realise that even if guns were illegal there would still be ways to get access to them through the black market.

That's hardly the case. First of all because guns don't come from the black market, by and large, they come from the grey market. The source of most firearms used in crimes are legal gun owners. Criminals don't have the capacity to make their own guns or rob police stations or whatever. It's why the UK and Australia almost never see any firearm crime. Last year Britain had 36 firearm murders in the entire country.

Further, this kid wouldn't have had any black market connections. He's a middle class school boy, not a member of the criminal fraternity.

People like this, that have mental health issues, that see the sensationalised news coverage of all the other incidents similar to this one think they'll come across as the anti hero they desperately want to be recognised as. Why do they want this recognition? Because they're f*cking nuts.

Or it could be because American culture is full of images of badass anti-heroes firing two pistols at the same time while diving through the air in slow motion. Food for thought.

Banana
  • Banana

Ghetto Star

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:55 AM Edited by Banana., 22 October 2013 - 04:00 AM.

People like this, that have mental health issues, that see the sensationalised news coverage of all the other incidents similar to this one think they'll come across as the anti hero they desperately want to be recognised as. Why do they want this recognition? Because they're f*cking nuts.[/size]

Or it could be because American culture is full of images of badass anti-heroes firing two pistols at the same time while diving through the air in slow motion. Food for thought.

I highly doubt the child was diving through his classroom window thinking he was Neo from the Matrix. Regardless of what made him do it the issue here is the gun should not have been this easily accessible to the child. I don't care if you own one but ffs keep it in a locked cabinet or safe. And even if it had been who knows if the kid would have just stabbed the other kids instead. The child was probably mentally ill and snapped. It could have been caused by bullying or just abuse in general and the school was an easy target. There's no way to know.

Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Ethiopia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

Do you not realise that even if guns were illegal there would still be ways to get access to them through the black market.

That's hardly the case. First of all because guns don't come from the black market, by and large, they come from the grey market. The source of most firearms used in crimes are legal gun owners. Criminals don't have the capacity to make their own guns or rob police stations or whatever. It's why the UK and Australia almost never see any firearm crime. Last year Britain had 36 firearm murders in the entire country.

Further, this kid wouldn't have had any black market connections. He's a middle class school boy, not a member of the criminal fraternity.

People like this, that have mental health issues, that see the sensationalised news coverage of all the other incidents similar to this one think they'll come across as the anti hero they desperately want to be recognised as. Why do they want this recognition? Because they're f*cking nuts.

The reason most firearms used in crimes are from legal gun owners is because there is no need to get guns illegally when it's so easy to get them legally in the first place. if somebody wants a gun badly enough, especially if their intent is to commit a crime sing the gun I don't think they're going to be put off simply based on the fact that it's illegal for them to have the gun in the first place.

And if you're going to be inspired to commit crimes like this by fictitious characters you see in films and video games you're a f*cking delusional idiot who can't tell the difference between reality and something that was scripted for entertainment purposes. It would also indicate some form of metal illness if you fail to realise that real life actions have consequences.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

The reason most firearms used in crimes are from legal gun owners is because there is no need to get guns illegally when it's so easy to get them legally in the first place. if somebody wants a gun badly enough, especially if their intent is to commit a crime sing the gun I don't think they're going to be put off simply based on the fact that it's illegal for them to have the gun in the first place.

And how are they going to acquire a gun if there's no legal way to do so? Again, it's not as though they can make them themselves. Furthermore, if what you say is true, then why don't Australia and the UK have the same problem with armed criminals that the US does.

nd if you're going to be inspired to commit crimes like this by fictitious characters you see in films and video games you're a f*cking delusional idiot who can't tell the difference between reality and something that was scripted for entertainment purposes. It would also indicate some form of metal illness if you fail to realise that real life actions have consequences.

You misunderstand. It's not that they see an action hero fire a gun and think "me too!" It's that firearm violence occupies a weird space in American culture. Notably, depictions of firearm violence are glorified and devoid of any real world consequences: when John McClane gets into a prolonged firefight in public, how many innocent bystanders does he accidental kill? How many women drop to the floor and start crying, shaking their heads and covering their ears? F*cking none. Americans have a special relationship with firearm violence, this much is clear.

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

Woah enough with the Max Payne bashing.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

another public shooting spree / suicide in America?

I'm so surprised. I'm shocked. I can't believe this would happen in a place like the United States. I never saw it coming. I am totally blown away.

oh wait.

no I'm not. I just wish I was... :(

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Peeling potatoes like a pro

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

Two wounded and one killed? What an amateur.

Cut him some slack man. He was just 13. Other kids his age can barely kill themselves. Speaking of which, too bad he turned the gun on himself. With a little bit of practice I'm almost certain he could have achieved a new high score.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

I'll be willing to bet my entire model train collection that the news will try to put it to GTA, even though a middle schooler obviously shouldn't be playing it in the first place.

You're going to lose a model train collection there buddy, they haven't brought up GTA at all in any of these shootings lately.

Anyway, i'm going to drop my two cents relating to this, it's always being said that guns don't kill people, people kill people, this is quite true in many instances, but in cases like this, slack gun regulations are to blame, if the kid who is somewhere between 9 and 13 (I didn't see an age) he would have taken it from his parents I am sure, I find it extremely unlikely a kid that age would be able to contact people in the black market who are selling weapons, then come up with the money for them, what kid that age has a few hundred dollars to blow? If the gun wasn't right there, easy to access the kid probably wouldn't have done it. Sure he could use a knife, but knife stabbings are decidedly less lethal than bullet wounds, and the other thing is that knives do not carry that same glory that Melchior was talking about.

Why would anyone shoot up a school in a suicide mission unless it was for the glory? These school shootings are all over the news every time they happen, which is exactly what these people are going for, they want to go out with a bang and become famous at the same time, Melchior went over this already though.

Glenn.
  • Glenn.

Homeboy

• Members
  • France

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

sh*t thats sad. Feel sorry for the injured and the wife of the teacher. Video Games always get the blame, but why is movies and TV never blamed? Same stuff. Anyway, its sad that this is a reoccurring issue. Im not totally against guns, but like, at this stage im asking: How the f*ck do people keep selling guns to these nut jobs? Or is it nut jobs selling to nut jobs?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users