Photo

Don't expect GTA 6 until 2020+

42 replies to this topic
MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

Everyone seems to be 'excited' about GTA 6. Fair play, I'm fine with people thinking up concepts and having ideas, but everyone seems to think it'll only be a few years down the line.

Some execs at R* said they're not working on GTA for the time being. Now V is released they want to think about some other games before they start on anything else GTA. GTA V was only being made possibly only months after GTA IV was even released so that means it was five years in the works. When R* say they're taking a breaking from GTA it means another 1-3 games can be coming out before they even think about VI. So let's assume it'll take about the same time to make as GTA V did. Assuming more games come out between, they could take about 2-3 years to make. Assuming they overlap, it could be at least 3-5 years before they GTA VI is introduced to the production board.

Then with GTA VI which of course "will have to top every GTA game to date" is going to take more than 6 years, which means it's going to be well over 2020 until we see anything about a new GTA VI game.

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'm okay with that. I wouldn't even mind if they take a decade off. Gta V is nice but not the outstanding title I expected. I found myself playing GTA 4 again. I prefer it in many ways, although GTA 5 is probably better looking. However, Rockstar delivered a great set of stories and characters with Gta 4 and RDR, Mp 3's story was already pretty thin...the graphics, gunplay and Max's monologues made up for it. Well and GTA 5 isn't too overwhelming. I'm looking forward for alternative games, gotta say sleeping dogs and hotline miami entertained me more than GTA 5.
  • Sting4S and MrPeteyMax like this

Simon_V
  • Simon_V

Red Dead Undead

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

If I remember correctly, R* started shooting V in 2010, 1 year after Episodes From Liberty City. That means, if R* doesn't have any Story DLC Ideas, they will probably start shooting VI sometimes in 2014/2015, that means we will see VI sometimes between 2017/2019.

PS: I hope they will release a story DLC with only 1 protag, maybe a character from The Lost MC, or a Chines guy.

DaWiesel
  • DaWiesel

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Don't forget that R* North is the developer of the GTA series. Max Payne 3 was an game made by practically all R* Studios, while GTA V wasn't? At least I think so. I'm not sure though, correct me if I'm wrong.

So to be honest, I could imagine the next title of the series to be released 2016 already.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

Heh, I was thinking about this yesterday too. How it will be a long while before the next big GTA comes out. But at the same time I look back at 2008 (GTA IV) and MAN, TIME FLIES!

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:15 PM Edited by Andreas., 25 October 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Some execs at R* said they're not working on GTA for the time being.

Do you have a source for that claim?

Rockstar can think of more than one game at the same time, because the company consists of more than just one studio. Sure, not all of them are developing their own videogames, but if you count the amount of studios they have that are thinking about and developing titles, it's still more than one studio! However, it still is possible that they take some break from GTA.

Let's stop thinking about the studios in general, and focus on what Rockstar North is doing. We know that the Scottish studio is doing more than just creating new installments for the GTA series. They work on Agent as well, a game that was announced in July 2007 by Sony, and slated for a release in 2010. The release never happened, but there was never an official statement about a possible cancellation of the title. Perhaps, the former PS3-exclusive game is a next-gen game now, either a PS4-exclusive or a multi-platform game, who knows. I think they will continue or already continued the development of Agent. And after they're done with it, they will speed up a little with doing research for the next GTA game.

By the way, I don't think that the development time will extend with the new consoles nor stay the same as now. I think the time will shorten up, because all important platforms are using the same architecture, making programming them significantly easier.

Bull12345Bull
  • Bull12345Bull

Criminally Insane

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

With all the content they have released/are releasing, especially for GTA: Online, I really don't care even if it takes a decade for GTA VI to come out... Besides, it will certainly be coming out for the PS4/XBOX One, neither of which I will be buying, so... I'll stick to V and Online for the next few years.

AlfredNTheFettuc
  • AlfredNTheFettuc

Boring Car Fan

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

I don't think it'll take that long.

Sure games take longer to make these days due to being more complex, but still. They won't pass up an opportunity, especially on the next gen consoles.

Video game industry is all about the money after all, and look how much GTA V's made already. It prints money, there's no reason to hesitate making another one.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Thank you Rockstar insider for you information.

Say hi to Dan Houser from me.

• lol232 likes this

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

Speaking of other games though, notice how Rockstar used to release more games in a single year? Now they can only seem to get one or two games out, probably because they're getting more complex to develop.

oipolloi
  • oipolloi

I say XD too much, just ignore it

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'd totally forgotten Agent even existed XD. Then again, LA Noire had one trailer released then they went for well over a year with no news at all.

I should think there will be at least one mission pack for V, and possibly another GTA Handheld game, before the next major title. Those ought to give us some new cars to crash and people to shoot.

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:47 PM Edited by Vatus, 25 October 2013 - 10:47 PM.

I don't think it'll be that far, but I do expect them to take their time with it just like with GTA V. My guess we probably won't hear the news about GTA VI until 2015-2016. So, we probably won't see GTA VI until 2017-2019.

I would rather them be like Bethesda and than Valve (HALF LIFE 3 dammit!).

Mzeppelin
  • Mzeppelin

The Don

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

And you know all of this, HOW?

I seriously doubt it will be until after 2020 til GTA VI. Try about 2018. 

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:21 AM

Damn, I'll be in college on my own when the next GTA releases. It's scary to think about.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:17 PM Edited by Andreas., 02 November 2013 - 04:18 PM.

And I will be out of high school for a while, and who knows, maybe I am even done with two years of college by then! Time will pass by fast, but it still is frightening to think about it.

The Trooth
  • The Trooth

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

People are already waiting for GTA 6 ? I haven't even bought a apartment in GTA Online yet 

• lol232 likes this

DoubleOGJohnson
  • DoubleOGJohnson

Playa

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:41 PM Edited by DoubleOGJohnson, 02 November 2013 - 05:43 PM.

Everyone seems to be 'excited' about GTA 6. Fair play, I'm fine with people thinking up concepts and having ideas, but everyone seems to think it'll only be a few years down the line.

Some execs at R* said they're not working on GTA for the time being. Now V is released they want to think about some other games before they start on anything else GTA. GTA V was only being made possibly only months after GTA IV was even released so that means it was five years in the works. When R* say they're taking a breaking from GTA it means another 1-3 games can be coming out before they even think about VI. So let's assume it'll take about the same time to make as GTA V did. Assuming more games come out between, they could take about 2-3 years to make. Assuming they overlap, it could be at least 3-5 years before they GTA VI is introduced to the production board.

Then with GTA VI which of course "will have to top every GTA game to date" is going to take more than 6 years, which means it's going to be well over 2020 until we see anything about a new GTA VI game.

GTA 6 in 2020 would be a bad idea, it doesn't take THAT long to make these video games, and the milking of the series has really stretched out the games to the extent that some dudes literally die while waiting between GTA's. It's a damn shame. Plus some of the fans in their 20's who will be 30 plus in 2020, and fans in their 30's who will be 40 plus by 2020 may not even be interested by then. If they wait till 2020 they'll basically be handing the future this series to the mid 90's and 2000's babies, who are the two corniest, gayest, and weakest generations alive. And if games are becoming tailor made for these two generations of people, then you're in for a pretty weak GTA 6.

RememberToTaper
  • RememberToTaper

PUSH through the BURN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

2020 seems a bit too long.

Next-Generation is starting now in 2013 and may hit its peak in 2-3 years.

We aren't sure if Next-Generation will be as successful or last as long as Xbox 360/PS3 consoles, so it might be better for Rockstar to aim for no later than 3-4 years from now.

I think they will release DLC episodes to help fill the void and make the waiting less painful. And hopefully they will learn from their mistakes from EFLC and not wait too long to release them (which is what hurt their sales).

PooyanCyrus
  • PooyanCyrus

iFruit fanboys are idiots

• Members
  • Mars
  • Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

I hope they'll release a DLC taking place in 2004, North Yankton! That would COOL really.

17th
  • 17th

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

GTA V project has been created in early 2009, first builds have been created in 2010.

countrymike84
  • countrymike84

honky tonker

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

So where in the GTA VI development process are we in this current time frame(2 months after GTA V release.) I think Aaron Garbut is playing with the next gen mapping tools getting himself and art dept used to said tools. Dan and Sam Houser could be almost done with a script. Lazlow will possibly be in the studio doing radio and recording the dialogue for the game. The scripters and programmers are probably getting acquainted to the next gen architecture and seeing how it plays with the engine. Another team is probably brainstorming ideas for place names, businesses, brands, and others. Another team could be working on the ingame tv shows and other media. I'm sure that I read that with the next gen systems that it will be easier on the coders so time will be saved there. Hopefully less time spent on fixing glitches.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Verrekte Mongol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

Don't expect Agent until 2020+

Fixed the title for you :)

DrandonBavis
  • DrandonBavis

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

2020+ seems highly unrealistic. Although 2019 seems reasonable, I'd still expect it even before that

jdawglosurdo
  • jdawglosurdo

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:07 AM Edited by jdawglosurdo, 12 November 2013 - 02:10 AM.

I hope GTA6 is in Vice City, darnit.

And yes, this does seem to be about right. Although i'm terrible at waiting for things. To the time machine!

THEAK472009
  • THEAK472009

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

GTA 6, whenever it comes will be the GREATEST GAME EVER MADE. PERIOD

xrCore
  • xrCore

'MURICA

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

GTA 6, whenever it comes will be the GREATEST GAME EVER MADE. PERIOD

No doubt. Vice City seems to the favorite GTA and so a new reimaging of Miami, the party capitol of America is likely. I really hope it is set in the 80s. I'm getting tired of the Bugattis, Teslas, Chevy Volts, Priuses, and Koenigseggs in GTAV. HD versions of Vice City's vehicles plus R*'s version of the DeLorean and other concept cars from the 80s would make one awesome GTA6 on the PS4 in glorious 4K on PC in 2020!

OpenWorld23
  • OpenWorld23

Square Civilian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:03 AM Edited by OpenWorld23, 01 December 2013 - 05:08 AM.

Like other GTA games in the past, GTA 5 was amazing compared to the last game but was still missing allot of it's potential. I understand because its hard to make a GTA game with everything in the HD universe. GTA is a franchise on the other hand that rockstar is dedicated to more than anything else they working on. It's actualy starting to catch up in popularity status next to the halo and C.O.D. Franchises. So they are going to make a GTA 6 in or longer than the time span it took to make GTA 5 after 4. R* also wants to expand online and continue publishing DLCs for GTA online. But I do hear that they are already thinking of ideas for GTA 6.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

It would be great if other developpers would try the open world genre (to the quality of Rockstar, of course). It sucks if I have to play 1 GTA for 3 quarters of a decade. That's too damn long.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Buy an old drop top and find a place to pimp.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:27 AM

I want rockstar to take all the time they need in gta VI they need to harness the next gen to its full potential.

BrainFreeze
  • BrainFreeze

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:35 AM

I don't really care how long it takes. I'm very excited to see what Rockstar will do with the next-gen consoles. The size of the map will be tremendous, and I hope they include multiple cities like SA. They should (and probably will) bring back Vice City, and if was thinking maybe New Orleans would make a nice location as a smaller town aside from the big cities, even though it's not that close to Miami.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users