Photo

Have you played GTA IV lately?

84 replies to this topic
FranticFatality
  • FranticFatality

British Hillbilly

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

I've been playing GTAIV again. I think it has way more charm than GTAV does.

• shadyslady likes this

P2FX
  • P2FX

I ain't no hipster.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

I still play IV occasionally just for the more enjoyable driving.

pokemon4ever
  • pokemon4ever

Bustre

• Members
  • Bhutan

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

GTA IV feels archaic compared to V. It's so bland and colorless. The map feels sluggish... the movements feel outdated. V is just a masterpiece, there is no other way to put it.

I doubt you have ever played any other GTA title.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Re: The roll...are you talking about rolling into cover or when you do the roll with a weapon drawn? Haven't actually seen either one. Going into cover that way looked pretty sweet in IV.

Both. I've played GTA V for over 90 hours and haven't been able to do either. Unless there's a way.

Anyway my main problem with GTA V is it's so half empty/half full in some aspects . Was GTA IV? Yes, but GTA V takes it to a whole new level.

It's like the development team walked out halfway through designing these things for a coffee break. Why can we enter stealth, but not crouch? Why can we climb over walls/fences, but not grab onto them?

People can say what they like about GTA IV being boring, but when you look at its core gameplay it's more step forwards than backwards. GTA V is the opposite IMO.

Or the fact car customisations comes back in V but, you can't modify anything outside of cars and bikes and, if the vehicle isn't a sports or muscle car, then .. no physical customisations :/

beanzinapot
  • beanzinapot

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

Yea I haven't picked up GTA IV cause everytime I turn on my Xbox I'll get like ten messages from friends wanting to play GTA Online. But I think I'm gonna play when I get off work tonight. I love GTA Online but Im not a big fan of the story mode on GTA V. Its too all over the place. I still haven't finished it ( last I checked I was at like 42%? ) I've only done that one heist with Mike and Franklin. But when GTA IV came out I played and beat the story within the first two weeks. And then played and beat EFLC when they came out like not even a week after I bought it. And replayed the GTA IV storyline another three times over before GTA V released.

VVipeSide
  • VVipeSide

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:17 AM Edited by VVipeSide, 23 October 2013 - 11:18 AM.

Yeah billions of dollars, millions of copies sold...why is that? Because GTA is a well established franchise and literally everyone got access to news via whatever platform.

It doesn't really matter. The point is, as much as people still enjoy it (good for you! have fun.), a month later finally even stubborn people let go and reveal they're no satsified with the game.

It doesn't have the longevity of other titles. I went back to GTA 4 and it's still better. Kind of sad, waiting a long time for a game only to find out we already got the best GTA.

GTA 5 is the BEST SELLING HOAX in gaming history.

• Rockstar20124 likes this

Eternal Turnip
  • Eternal Turnip

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

There are some things about 5 I prefer to 4... the missions in 5 are MUCH better, more exciting, and varied. The graphics are better... the first time I saw the frothing sea my jaw dropped! The map is better overall with more varied environments. I like the idea of character switching, especially with the different archetypes used in 5. The inclusion of planes is fantastic, flying seems more challenging which I like... also, crosshairs on the chopper/jet = awesome...

But 4 had a much better overall story... by the end of 5 I didn't really care about what was happening, the 'final bad guy' sucked compared to the epic final mission in 4. The heists in 5 just never amounted to much, the first jewellery store one was the best and most exciting in my opinion because the others (with the exception of the final heist) all felt like we were being forced into them by the FIB (etc). There wasn't enough planning for the heists either, they were too simple and the illusion of choice was too obvious for me. The characters in 5 just aren't that likeable, but I guess they weren't supposed to be. To be fair, whilst Niko was more likeable, it was always odd mowing down swathes of enemies with him shouting "I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS!!" etc.

I'm not massively impressed with GTA Online - I loved the free roam in IV because you joined a server and everyone was on the same level - pickup weapons if you want, grab a chopper and cause chaos or race with your friends etc. In GTA online everything seems somewhat cynically centered around the money system (which is fuelled by real-world purchasable cash cards). It's more 'gamey' than 4 free roam, which is good in some ways but it doesn't really encourage the random exciting encounters I would have with other human players back in 4. i can't see me spending as much time in GTA online as I did in GTA 4 free roam.

Technically, GTA 5 seems a little more scaled back the IV in some areas - I hate how quickly the WASTED screen ends, and whilst I actually quite like the driving, the damage isn't as dynamic as IV. The cops are overpowered but at least provide a challenge compared to those in 4, and you die too quickly (in 4 my character could get ragdolled across the map from an explosion - in 5 i will just die). The lack of interiors is also a major bummer for me.

Overall I think 5 is great, but 4 impressed me more at the time of its release. I'm hoping the PC release of 5 will be a little better than the console version, and I reckon the modding community will add things in from 4 like interiors which will improve things a lot.

• ThroatSlasher2 likes this

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

I played gta iv online a few days ago. I joined a session (friendly) and everyone was in the airport as usual and it was epic. There were people speeding around the airport. Cars being blown. People shooting at each other eventhough you cant kill each other lmao. People firing rocket launchers at other players and watching them go flying in the air and surviving. People in annihilators. Some modder ut ramps in the airport but iI think he left the session so people were doing crazy stunts of that. People carshing cars and watching them flip over.

Im not gonna lie, I havent had just pure crazy fun like that in gta v.

Gta iv now has a little nostalgia flavour to it and ther is still alot of people playing however it does feel like a shell knowing 80% of the gta iv gamers have moved onto gta v

blakeney
  • blakeney

⚖☮▲

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

Re: The roll...are you talking about rolling into cover or when you do the roll with a weapon drawn? Haven't actually seen either one. Going into cover that way looked pretty sweet in IV.

Press Sqaure/X (I think) when aiming the gun to roll... I'm not sure about rolling in/out of cover though.. I guess you could do a normal roll followed by pressing the cover button? :|

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

I went back to IV last night and oh my god, the driving is absolutely f*cking awful in IV. I loved it at the time, but going back to it, it feels horrible - broken. Seriously, it actually feels broken. I wonder if the detractors of V's driving have actually tried going back to IV, it's awful for driving. 

I've modded it now though and it's much better. 

PEDROGR190
  • PEDROGR190

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Yes, i really enjoy GTAIV multiplayer 10 times more. It is straight fun.

LoneWolfMargaret
  • LoneWolfMargaret

Gamer, Artist, Lone Wolf.

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

I did play a bit of IV recently in between playthroughs of V. That new game feeling hasn't quite wore off with V yet though so I decided I'm going to 100%. I finally came out of a GTA coma that I was in for about 2 months last night and played something other than GTA - Mass Effect.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:52 PM Edited by HITMAN1342, 23 October 2013 - 02:55 PM.

A lot of people speak of Liberty City being "Dark, colorless and boooorrrriiingggg" but I think I like it like maybe only seven times more than Los Santos and Blaine County. I loved the colors they used and how the city played, so using this as an excuse for boring should really stop coming up as fact, though I respect your opinion. I think the reason for the colors though is to really immerse the player into the story. Niko is told about this great place streets of gold, beautiful women, big mansions and finally arrives at Liberty City to find a dark city of crime. 

In conclusion think GTA IV had a much better story, better vehicles/damage and better map, but just about every other major mechanic in GTA V is superior. Though I do miss flying 20 stories into the air after going 150mph to 0mph because I hit a parked or oncoming car on my NRG..... Oh that physics engine was so enjoyable to mess with.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "LIBERTY CITY FOR GTA VI!!!" I still want to see new locations.... Possibly adding Liberty City to the online version (depending on how next-gen systems work, not very tech savy when it comes to computers) would be a god send for me.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:53 AM Edited by StingrayX, 24 October 2013 - 01:19 AM.

Vehicles handle amazingly in GTA V. Yes, they lean towards the arcadey aspect, but at the same time it makes more sense here. In GTA V, a stock sports car handles pretty damn nicely and turns like a dream. Yet on the flip side, a pickup truck or crappy sedan handles pretty poorly and takes corners at high speeds insufficiently. Now compare this to back in GTA IV's world where the top tier sports vehicles cannot take a 90 degree turn at anything more than 25mph without going into a fishtail. It's unplayable now.

I agree with some of this but that last line? Pure bullsh*t. Supercars are funner in V and have that kick but that is it. Everything else that isn't a performance car is lacking. IV was the opposite. The supercars were okay, I mean the Turismo was an excellent handler and so was the Super GT in a grand touring kind of way but the regular cars were the real stars. The sense of speed was lacking but everything else was fun with these "lower" cars. In V only high end cars are fun. You don't want to touch the lower cars because Rockstar has tried to put an imphasis on how bad they are when in real life they aren't bad. I wish the lower cars were funner. In IV the Hakumai was almost as low as you could get yet it had a kick to it like real 1990's Honda Accords. I mean, I wish we had the best of both worlds of IV and V. I really did. I wish handling was more of a challenge in a realistic kind of way in V too. Miss IV's driving a bit.

And no, I haven't played IV since September but I will play it again this November.

I went back to IV last night and oh my god, the driving is absolutely f*cking awful in IV. I loved it at the time, but going back to it, it feels horrible - broken. Seriously, it actually feels broken. I wonder if the detractors of V's driving have actually tried going back to IV, it's awful for driving.

It feels like this going back to it but give it time. I played Forza after V on Sunday and at first I wasn't actually that fun but then I gave it an hour and I prefer it over V any day. IV's driving just doesn't give you that fast feeling but it isn't terrible. Play EFLC. The body roll on cars was toned down in the game and it made the driving feel better.

GTAboob
  • GTAboob

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:09 AM

Played IV for hours last weekend.

Loxley
  • Loxley

This member is no longer active.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

I didn't read that novel in the op, but I went back and played a little bit of TBOGT and the driving is horrible in comparison to V. Now, I know where the whole boat thing came from. I used to like it too, but V's is so much more satisfying and crisp. Not too arcady and still has weight to the cars.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:46 AM

I didn't read that novel in the op, but I went back and played a little bit of TBOGT and the driving is horrible in comparison to V. Now, I know where the whole boat thing came from. I used to like it too, but V's is so much more satisfying and crisp. Not too arcady and still has weight to the cars.

Just my opinion but I prefer the "boaty ness" and to be honest it's called body roll. Every vehicle in V had a suspension that looked like it banged you up, like you could feel every bump in the road. For me personally it looked bad. I'm pretty um... OCD when it comes to suspensions, don't know why. But a Bentley, Cognoscenti Cabrio, shouldn't be shaking over a few cracks on the road. But everyone has their own preference. I personally wish IV and V's handling were combined and that the suspension would balance itself out.

just-a-spaz
  • just-a-spaz

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:23 AM

The only thing I do not like about V is sometimes the full geometry doesn't load sometimes on vehicles until you get into them. If you've got 4 cars in your garage, 2 or 3 of them will have the full geometry loaded (high polygon model) and 1 or 2 of them will have a low polygon count (look at the wheel wells and see how they look pointy instead of round). 

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

I miss escaping the police by jumping off a bridge... instead of dying when I hit the water :'(

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

One thing I'll give IV 100% on are the cop chases. Just fun. V's are... they just aren't good I'll just say that. When the PC version comes and movies of V are made, police probably wont be a popular feature.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic. Law Enforcement Enthusiast.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

I returned to playing GTA IV and not miss GTA V.

Cheers.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:06 AM

Really don't  get all the 5 bashing. It is such a solidly well built game, just blows my mind that anyone could enjoy the mechanics in 4 more. I guess that's the mystery in subjective opinions. You are free to like whatever you want, but it begs the question of when can you tell someone they simply have bad taste?

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

Really don't  get all the 5 bashing. It is such a solidly well built game, just blows my mind that anyone could enjoy the mechanics in 4 more. I guess that's the mystery in subjective opinions. You are free to like whatever you want, but it begs the question of when can you tell someone they simply have bad taste?

For me GTA V's physics are better in some ways and others they're not. I think characters generally move better, but I can't stand the way cars float and they control like a skateboard whenever they get air. GTA IV had mass down pat.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

For me GTA V's physics are better in some ways and others they're not. I think characters generally move better, but I can't stand the way cars float and they control like a skateboard whenever they get air. GTA IV had mass down pat.

I get what you're saying and agree with you to an extent, such as the way crashes were handled in IV being far superior to the bumper-cars like physics we get in V, but virtually every other mechanic is superior in V. Driving along (again, minus crashing) is such a huge jump over IV that you'd think we entered a new era altogether in the GTA universe.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

I Run This Town

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:23 PM Edited by Tilemaxx, 02 November 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Copy-pasting my opinion from the other thread (haven't played IV since 2011 btw):

Really loved IV and i always thought that was a better game than SA in many areas. I always defended it against it's heavy critics and immature people over the internet going berserk against it. It had it's flaws, but it was a step forward.

In comparison to V though? I really can't say it's a better game. GTA V just looks, feels, plays better than IV.

Some points:

- I've never felt attached to Nico. I always thought he was a character taken directly from a typical crime drama TV series. Also, apart from his cousin and Packie, all other characters were forgettable and boring. Tommy/CJ's craziness was simply not there. It returned with Michael, Trevor and Frankin. Side characters were funny again, Trevor's pals, Michael's crazy family, Lamar, agent Haines etc.

- Story mode was too predictable in IV. Storytelling through missions was pretty 'meh' as well, a ton of  "A to B" scripted missions, the majority of them being car chases. The only missions where i remember fondly are the great Three Leaf Clover and the last mission (i chose the Revenge ending).

However, i should say that V's ending felt kinda rushed and badly writen. I'd like a two-way selection structure like GTA IV, over the A,B,C type of endings (A and B are pretty horrible tbh). But overall i enjoyed the story of V far more than IV.

- Props to R* for remaking LC in such a beautiful and realistic way (the amount of detail was breathtaking back in 2008), but the extra content after completion was minimal. Activities with friends were fun, but after several hours of playtime they were just a pain in the ass (hey Nico, wanna go for bowling), plus there's not an actual reward for doing them (apart from an achievement).

- Police system is so much better and refined in V, more clever, more intense, and more simple at the same time. Just hide into an alley or above a tunnel even with 4 stars on, and you 'll be cop free after a couple of minutes. Also for the first time after SA i enjoyed the huge chases at the countryside.

- Planes, fighter jet/heli, crazy vehicles, Rhino, are the essence of the core GTA gameplay and i'm glad they are all back in V. So many hours of extra replayability, it's not coincidence that they added a tank in TBOGT. That was heavily requested after the initial disappointment regarding the lack of some iconic vehicles from past games.

To sum up, GTA IV is an amazing game, a defining moment in gaming history. But it lacked key features that defined the series, and become a darker, more serious, a more "linear" GTA. GTA V just surpassed it in most departments, that's not bad. It's how technology and videogaming in general are evolving. GTA VI should surpass GTA V, etc, etc.

Just don't let nostalgia (it's a powerful emotion) distort your critical thinking, try to be as subjective as possible when it comes to comparison between a new and an older game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users