Have you played GTA IV lately?

84 replies to this topic
Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

In future when IV gets a total conversion it will be more fun then what it is now.
Last I played IV was 8 months back
V is better than IV to an extent but both become boring fast enough than SA.
Vice city is the only game thats less boring among all.
  • StarVisitor likes this

"Bad characteristics covered in Christs blood"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

Here is a thought that I have. I have heard that in GTA IV the reason it was kinda dull and colorless was because it was supposed to be snowing throughout the game which would explain why it was often overcast or rainy. Apparently they had a hard time with the snow in GTA IV, so they decided to scrap it for the time. Now what gets me excited is the rumors that GTA 4 is going to be ported into GTAO. Considering that GTA 5 has snow I would love to see them convert Liberty City and all it's vehicles and be able to see Liberty City how it was supposedly originally envisioned. It's funny because looking back at GTA 4, if they did have snow it would have probably changed how I saw the game. Imagining it with snow makes me like the idea of GTA 4 more than I had when I played through it. Now, if you'll excuse me i'm gonna go look up some GTA 4 winter mods. 

• StarVisitor likes this

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:02 AM

Here is a thought that I have. I have heard that in GTA IV the reason it was kinda dull and colorless was because it was supposed to be snowing throughout the game which would explain why it was often overcast or rainy. Apparently they had a hard time with the snow in GTA IV, so they decided to scrap it for the time. Now what gets me excited is the rumors that GTA 4 is going to be ported into GTAO. Considering that GTA 5 has snow I would love to see them convert Liberty City and all it's vehicles and be able to see Liberty City how it was supposedly originally envisioned. It's funny because looking back at GTA 4, if they did have snow it would have probably changed how I saw the game. Imagining it with snow makes me like the idea of GTA 4 more than I had when I played through it. Now, if you'll excuse me i'm gonna go look up some GTA 4 winter mods. 

Source ?

iKevhawk
  • iKevhawk

Street Racer

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:06 AM

Here is a thought that I have. I have heard that in GTA IV the reason it was kinda dull and colorless was because it was supposed to be snowing throughout the game

Or it could be that GTA 4 was supposed to be a dark game. if you listened to the theme music and pay attention to the main story it is a pretty dark game.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

Source ?

It is only a rumor that I heard. As far as I know it isn't true but, I was just saying that if it were true it would have changed how I saw the game. It was clear that GTA 4 was intended to be a dark game but, considering the game appears to take place in fall-winter time setting it seem completely possible to me. So, as for a source I am not sure exactly where I read about it. All I remember is that it was a forum or something. 

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

Here is a thought that I have. I have heard that in GTA IV the reason it was kinda dull and colorless was because it was supposed to be snowing throughout the game

Or it could be that GTA 4 was supposed to be a dark game. if you listened to the theme music and pay attention to the main story it is a pretty dark game.

Now that I come to think of it, GTA IV his better than V just because it succeded much more to transfer its vibe onto the player's experience than V. V kinda seems all over the place like it has an identity crisis or something ..

Bertanius
  • Bertanius

Classic car fan

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

I haven't gone back to GTA IV yet, I may, probably to do some modding until GTA V for PC comes out. I'm just so disappointed with how lazy Rockstar were... The non-existent AI in GTA V really bugs me, they're so simplistic they only know how to move, vehicles and pedestrians can't pathfind or understand where something is, which means they always crash or walk into something solid. The most outrages thing about them is how sensitive they are, they automatically call the police if you are near them for too long, even if you're just minding your business on the street. Anything, no matter how tiny, always causes them to freak out, it detracts from the feeling of the game, you can't do anything. I really don't like the arcade driving either, it's terrible. I also don't like how vehicles explode from the slightest bump...

The wanted system is a joke, cars and helicopters spawn infinitely, there's no point trying to outrun the helicopter, a new one spawns right on top of you. The police themselves can see through walls, always know where you are, and have terrible spawn points (like in train tunnels and on mountains), they have ridiculous rubber banding so bad that when you slow down they go flying past you, often flipping and sliding down the road. They are overly sensitive too, bumping a pedestrian by accident automatically gives you a wanted level...

For me, GTA IV feels more alive in many aspects, it had so many more little features that made it more open, GTA V throws scripted and pre-determined actions at you, such as your vehicle automatically doing a sharp turn when hit from the back, things like that remove the 'free' feel of the game. GTA IV had plenty of interiors, it allows you to explore the game more, and gives you the feeling that buildings are really there, not just static props made to look good. The clunky GTA V character control is ridiculous too, characters can't move properly without automatically ragdolling or doing something wrong, since they also have the non-existent AI system.

Oh, and while GTA IV for PC had terrible porting issues, GTA V on console has severe issues that cause it to crash, which shows a lack of care on Rockstar's side. These crashing methods can be achieved through regular gameplay, you don't have to do anything tricky. I do like some things in GTA V, the countryside is nice, the city too, but it's too boring, as there's nothing to do in it. So in the end, I might play GTA IV again, because compared to GTA V, it's vastly superior is nearly every aspect. Single player was ruined because Rockstar only care about multiplayer. GTA IV really shows what a crowded, dense city is like, and at least you can walk in it without getting in trouble for no reason... GTA IV has its fair share of issues, but not as many as GTA V. Rockstar over hyped GTA V, and blew it, this game is a disaster, with more bads than goods, it only got 10/10 because of its title.

• Tikhung likes this

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

YourGirlRunHerFingersThruMyHair

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hell no.

GTA IV has been collecting dust along with EFLC.

LuigiIsHungry
  • LuigiIsHungry

:D

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

GTA IV was the first GTA I ever played so it holds more nostalgic memories for me than any other GTA, GTA IV is to me like what San Andreas is to most people. So yeah to this day I still play it and its DLC non-stop. Although the PC version has been failing on me lately because of GFWL refusing to sign in and load my save, I dug up my old PS3 copy and play that.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:58 AM Edited by 018361, 21 October 2013 - 08:44 AM.

Source ?

It is just a rumor as far as I know. I was just saying that since GTA 4 appeared to take place during fall-winter it seems completely plausible to me. Especially with the dark setting GTA 4 has. In my opinion it would have allowed the game to keep it's dark theme while also allowing me as a player to understand and sympathize with Niko more than I had originally. If there were snow it would have helped me to see Niko's misery throughout the story which again in my opinion seemed hardly recognizable with the game as is. Maybe that's why I really didn't care for IV's story at first. Because a bright day with poor color didn't really help set the tone for me to consider it a sad time in Niko's life. However, imagining Niko's story taking place in a dark snowy city would have added a sad Christmas kind of feel. Like a when you are sad or depressed and see life as not worth living but, you keep going just for the sake of seeing the events of tomorrow. You walk slowly down the street with your head down and see a happy family or a happy couple any you ask yourself " why can't I be happy like them? Why can't I have a merry Christmas and loving family life in a warm cozy home on Christmas eve?  Why does everything in my life seem to go wrong? ". That's how the story could have felt to me if this was true.    

Edit: Sorry for double post. The site hadn't updated my 1st post so I thought I forgot to click the post button.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

Source ?

It is just a rumor as far as I know. I was just saying that since GTA 4 appeared to take place during fall-winter it seems completely plausible to me. Especially with the dark setting GTA 4 has. In my opinion it would have allowed the game to keep it's dark theme while also allowing me as a player to understand and sympathize with Niko more than I had originally. If there were snow it would have helped me to see Niko's misery throughout the story which again in my opinion seemed hardly recognizable with the game as is. Maybe that's why I really didn't care for IV's story at first. Because a bright day with poor color didn't really help set the tone for me to consider it a sad time in Niko's life. However, imagining Niko's story taking place in a dark snowy city would have added a sad Christmas kind of feel. Like a when you are sad or depressed and see life as not worth living but, you keep going just for the sake of seeing the events of tomorrow. You walk slowly down the street with your head down and see a happy family or a happy couple any you ask yourself " why can't I be happy like them? Why can't I have a merry Christmas and loving family life in a warm cozy home on Christmas eve?  Why does everything in my life seem to go wrong? ". That's how the story could have felt to me if this was true.    

True, but no need to answer me twice haha ;)

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

I'm going to be doing my first actual GTA IV pllaythrough sometime soon.

Shootaholic
  • Shootaholic

zzzz....

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

What i miss from IV is dropping cars from high places without them blowing up. Now every time you land on the roof it blows up. I mean really? That's not even realistic. Only this bugs me as i wanted to crash my cars down mountains, other than this the game is a masterpiece.

• lol232 likes this

lol232
  • lol232

Got room for one more?

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

Well I gotta say, I don't like the Max Payne 3 style shooting, and I also prefer GTA IV handling, but yeah, GTA V is f*cking awesome.

And yes, I did play GTA IV lately.

Uhwoahnohuh
  • Uhwoahnohuh

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

I Went back to play Gta 4's story again to get a better grip, considering i never really appriciated storylines until Gta V, 

And let me say, The Driving in Gta 4 is SO MUCH More realistic than Gta V, but i like the feel to Gta V more. I just miss niko. He was the best smartass in the history of GTA 

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Solid topic, good shout OP. 

I've not been back to IV, though I've been thinking about it. I just have no reason to - V delivers EVERYTHING I want from a GTA game. Still, several weeks on, my only complaint is the size of the text on-screen. Everything else is as close to perfect as I expected, and I'm always, daily, finding I want to play. 

TIMSTER777
  • TIMSTER777

"Dude you gotta try hoagies man"

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

I went on yesterday to do some LCPDFR Roleplay. :D

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

I'm planning on messing around with V for a little bit longer and then going back to IV to revisit the story and see what plotlines I missed my first go 'round. It'll be like watching a movie for the second time, there's always that "wow I didn't see that" moment.

ShaolinMaster
  • ShaolinMaster

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Haven't played GTA IV or TLAD since spring, but I messed around in TBOGT a little few weeks back.

MyBodyFlew
  • MyBodyFlew

Im lost.

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

To bad GTA IV is filled with modders. Cant join a lobby without getting frooze out. I just hope people dont start modding on gta 5 (yet).It will happen so enjoy the peace we have now.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:16 PM Edited by Official General, 21 October 2013 - 01:18 PM.

I'm certainly gonna go back to playing GTA IV. While I think GTA V is slightly better, there are certain things in IV that I really miss, and V don't have those things. 

I want a world with more accessible interiors, I wanna play a better storyline, I want really good side missions and activities (not yoga) and I still crave that New York City feel. I'm gonna play through IV soon, after my current second play through of RDR. I have not played IV using free aim, so it's another good excuse to play IV again. 

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

One thing they did get right down to a T was the New York City feel. It felt like NY before it became all gentrified but people complained it was too gritty and dark. I wish they did New Jersey better though but I say that because I live here. Why couldn't they have done a version of Atlantic City and opened up a whole new can of possibilities?

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Re: The roll...are you talking about rolling into cover or when you do the roll with a weapon drawn? Haven't actually seen either one. Going into cover that way looked pretty sweet in IV.

Both. I've played GTA V for over 90 hours and haven't been able to do either. Unless there's a way.

Anyway my main problem with GTA V is it's so half empty/half full in some aspects . Was GTA IV? Yes, but GTA V takes it to a whole new level.

It's like the development team walked out halfway through designing these things for a coffee break. Why can we enter stealth, but not crouch? Why can we climb over walls/fences, but not grab onto them?

People can say what they like about GTA IV being boring, but when you look at its core gameplay it's more step forwards than backwards. GTA V is the opposite IMO.

TheDust
  • TheDust

Peon

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Re: The roll...are you talking about rolling into cover or when you do the roll with a weapon drawn? Haven't actually seen either one. Going into cover that way looked pretty sweet in IV.

Both. I've played GTA V for over 90 hours and haven't been able to do either. Unless there's a way.

Anyway my main problem with GTA V is it's so half empty/half full in some aspects . Was GTA IV? Yes, but GTA V takes it to a whole new level.

It's like the development team walked out halfway through designing these things for a coffee break. Why can we enter stealth, but not crouch? Why can we climb over walls/fences, but not grab onto them?

People can say what they like about GTA IV being boring, but when you look at its core gameplay it's more step forwards than backwards. GTA V is the opposite IMO.

Crouch is just a waste anyway to me personally, the ledge thing doesn't bother me because I don't care to hang on a ledge, and I don't really think the game is a step backwards. They changed some things and I apperciate the gameplay of GTA V more. GTA IV storyline I enjoyed more, because it was longer and Niko was one of my favorite protagonists, but other than that, I feel it improved over GTA IV in almost every way, give or take a few.

CorporalBean675
  • CorporalBean675

Icaras

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Just for the atmosphere and the world. I love the GTA IV Liberty City and it's orange/yellow lighting system. For any other game I would hate it but it somehow seems perfect for IV. 

luckyshot666
  • luckyshot666

Badfella

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Have I? That´s all I´ve been playing since I accidentally broke my V disc  :(

Gigs84
  • Gigs84

Haven't you ever heard of the healing power of laughter?

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

No. I traded it in, ages ago.

Vice Beach
  • Vice Beach

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Rolling is the exact same as GTA IV.. tap X (or square) and a direction while aiming..

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

I've been wanting to just to see the differences/improvements, but I'll prolly wait til after I'm done with the main missions of V. I love gta, IV was no different its just IV lacked the ambitions all the other titles had.

reaszon
  • reaszon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

only TBOGT

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users