Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Electronic Music "Real Music"?

96 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Electronic Music "Real Music"? (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Electronic Music "Real Music"?

1. No (24 votes [22.02%])

Percentage of vote: 22.02%

2. Yes (85 votes [77.98%])

Percentage of vote: 77.98%

Does producing Electronic Music require a significant amount of talent?

1. Yes (83 votes [76.15%])

Percentage of vote: 76.15%

2. No (26 votes [23.85%])

Percentage of vote: 23.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Lagful
  • Lagful

Certified Fresh

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

A lot of people believe that Electronic Music shouldn't be classified as real music. This includes genres like Trance, House, Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Hardstyle, etc.. I've heard many arguments from both sides of this topic. Some people say it's inauthentic or artificial and requires no talent to produce while fans of the genre believe the opposite. What do you guys think?

Lagful
  • Lagful

Certified Fresh

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

I personally love Electronic Music and some of my favorite songs and genres come from it. People who think that is requires no talent have obviously never tried it themselves.

Tyler
  • Tyler

It's you

• Unknown

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

A lot of people believe that Electronic Music shouldn't be classified as real music. 

Those people are demonstrably wrong and also ignorant to the amount of work it takes to make music in general.

• Street Mix, skills, OverTheBelow and 5 others like this

W2B
  • W2B

Is Awesome!

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:15 AM

I love electronic music. House, techno, dubsteb, glitch hop, whatever I love it all! I listen to it all the time

Of course it's real music, and of course it requires a lot of talent to make good music.
  • skills likes this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

This poll would apply better to noise music

• Tyler likes this

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14 - Supralux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

I don't think it matters how much time was put into it as long as people can enjoy it. Maybe there will come a time when it will be extremely easy to make music, but it will still be enjoyable.

Also, people who say it's easy to make electronic music should actually try it. I've never heard an electronic music composer say that it's easy. It can be more complicated than acoustic music since some artists create sounds from scratch. I think mastering\mixing electronic music is harder too. Composing might be easier in some cases when it comes to this genre because you don't actually have to know how to play an instrument, but it still takes creativity.

• dtsmucker and ForcedFedSupra like this

God Of GTAO
  • God Of GTAO

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Sir i provide you with all the proof you will ever need that electronic music is of royal and Godly status.

• B Dawg and dtsmucker like this

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:18 PM Edited by ryuclan, 22 October 2013 - 11:20 PM.

Anyone with the gall to think they can say what isn't music is probably an idiot. One of those types who think they know what art is or poetry.

• D4 Damager and dtsmucker like this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Go eat your mom's ass

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

If it sucks balls, then it isn't music. If it's good, then it's music. Simple as that :p

• alias23 likes this

Laura91
  • Laura91

Portia's #1 Fan

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

I love Noise. Contrary to what people think, it does take some skill to make GOOD noise music. People that can't tell the difference simply aren't listening. This same argument occurs within the noise scene itself so it isn't just "outsiders" that make this argument.

I like pretty much every kind of music. Noise, Techno, Hip-Hop, Ambient, etc (as far electronic genres are concerned.) I'm just very picky about what I like.

• Moonshield likes this

God Of GTAO
  • God Of GTAO

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:34 PM Edited by God Of GTAO, 24 October 2013 - 03:37 PM.

Lets get some more Godly examples of electronic music in here:

• codename_duchess likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

Without a doubt Electronic music is music and it's f*cking very hard to make most of the time. Having said that, I can make a simple electronic track in a few minutes but it will sound  sh*te.  Whoever voted contrary is an idiot and doesn't know anything about music. 

• D4 Damager likes this

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

You'll likely never catch me listening to electronic music in my free time, but of course it falls within the parameters of "music" and I'm certain it requires as much skill as it would to write, say,  a tasty guitar lick!

bmwdriver
  • bmwdriver

with oakley oil rig sunglasses

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

I love electronic music and yes the artist must be great to deliver some quality stuff.

But there's some stuff out there that you just can't call it 'music'.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

unfortunately there's no truth to that.

music - much like beauty, art, or anything that is subjective - is in the eye of the beholder. we certainly have the right to objectify it and say "this sucks! your taste in music blows!" but at the end of the day, as long as at least ONE person is listening to it and enjoying it, then it's all music.

• B Dawg likes this

bmwdriver
  • bmwdriver

with oakley oil rig sunglasses

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

unfortunately there's no truth to that.

music - much like beauty, art, or anything that is subjective - is in the eye of the beholder. we certainly have the right to objectify it and say "this sucks! your taste in music blows!" but at the end of the day, as long as at least ONE person is listening to it and enjoying it, then it's all music.

Yeah you're right

I didn't think that way..

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Well a lot more people would say no, but that doesn't mean they're right.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14 - Supralux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

I love Noise. Contrary to what people think, it does take some skill to make GOOD noise music. People that can't tell the difference simply aren't listening. This same argument occurs within the noise scene itself so it isn't just "outsiders" that make this argument.

I don't listen to a lot of that, but I can honestly say I even enjoy listening to real life sounds\noises, like engines or just whatever ambient sound. It's relaxing and kind of cool to study the sound.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:44 AM Edited by Fireman, 06 November 2013 - 11:44 AM.

It would make the discussion more viable though, since I could ask you what makes certain noise music good, and you wouldn't be able to explain it and then say I just don't understand and then the discussion would be atleast 3 replies longer.

Laura91
  • Laura91

Portia's #1 Fan

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

It would make the discussion more viable though, since I could ask you what makes certain noise music good, and you wouldn't be able to explain it and then say I just don't understand and then the discussion would be atleast 3 replies longer.

What makes good Noise is the ability to listen to what you are doing, knowing what components of your set up work well when configured in certain ways, creating plenty of variety within what you do by utilizing different techniques (using fast cut-ups ala Macronympha, dense layering, etc). Having said that, some simple methods will also work well if the artist knows how to use them effectively. But if someone has a bias against Noise and just wants to bitch, none of this matters anyway and the person posting is nothing more than a troll that just wants to talk sh*t with no regards for a true discussion.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

Of course electronic music is real music, Amon Tobin is the most noteworthy example. The man sampled f*cking ants.

• Fallcreek likes this

Mockage
  • Mockage

First Breathe After Coma

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

Whoever thinks electronic music isn't real music is a f*cking idiot.

• skills likes this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Uncle T

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:07 AM Edited by Xerukal, 09 November 2013 - 11:10 AM.

One word;

Bonfire

I don't usually like dubstep, myself. But I just love this. I think Electronic music classifies as music just fine. It's just that some like to butcher the concept of it endlessly, like Skrillex. 

• Lazy Mofo likes this

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

I think every kind of music requires talent.

Electronic music requires talent in creating good sounding stuff with a program (or a keyboard/synthesizer). I tried doing something with a program once and it was confusing. Even more confusing than the current layout of YouTube, I would say.

Then again, music like rock or country requires talent in playing in a band (and playing the instrument).

As for if electronic music is real music, it is an opinion. For example, I like electronic music and gladly say it's music, but I don't see a point when someone listens to opera. I'd not consider it "real" music, but someone else would. 

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

It depends what type of electronic music. I do like alot of techno, house, early synthpop, breakbeat, drum-and-bass, electro e.g. Not so much a dubstep fan.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

Of course it's real music. Just because it doesn't use ''traditional'' instruments doesn't mean it isn't music. Personally I don't really listen to a lot of it as I find it kind of repetitive, but If it's pleasing to someone's ear then it is music.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

I can't stand dubstep or techno or any of that stuff, but it's definitely music and it requires skill to produce.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Like for Michelangelo!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

There are people who listen to sounds of things falling and crashing, creepy winds and such. And that's considered music. So I've come to the conclusion that if you enjoy listening to a certain type of set of sounds, it's music. That's all really music is, anyway, just an orchestrated line of sounds.

• Laura91 likes this

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:50 AM Edited by ShadowDog94, 16 November 2013 - 04:23 AM.

There are people who listen to sounds of things falling and crashing, creepy winds and such. And that's considered music. So I've come to the conclusion that if you enjoy listening to a certain type of set of sounds, it's music. That's all really music is, anyway, just an orchestrated line of sounds.

Yeah, most people would probably perceive early industrial like Throbbing Gristle as not music and just a bunch of noise, and I totally understand that. But I enjoy the creepy atmosphere that this type of music conveys. It's basically the ''horror movie'' version of music. It's designed to creep you out.

In the end, if someone finds a certain sound pleasing in some way, then it is definitely music.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:05 AM

Anything with rhythm can be classified as real music. And yes, I do believe it requires lots of talent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users