Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why don't Rockstar call cars there real names?

37 replies to this topic
BlackFeather SR
  • BlackFeather SR

Assassin

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

It's a game and only mimics the real world. Or as they say, GTA is made up for everything Americana, the stuff we see on TV. The whole purpose of GTA is not to be real or try to be real, but offer a comical variant on what is real. Things like companies, (FIB not FBI) and as you've said all the car names - add to what they are trying to achieve.

Fib is British slang for a lie FYI, not anything Americano there

epicluca
  • epicluca

Red Dead Remasterdemption

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:50 PM Edited by gtamad8, 20 October 2013 - 09:51 PM.

No car company wants other people to see their car killing hundreds of people, it sounds stupid but that's honestly the way it is. And if for example Ford let R* use their cars, you'd get headlines like "Ford allow cars to appear in murder-fest Grand Theft Auto" or "Run people over in style with Ford cars in Grand Theft Auto"

edit: Also not to mention, as others have said, the GTA world is a parody of real life so what's the point in everything being a parody but having real cars?

Wherewolf
  • Wherewolf

Fak u

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

GTA london

This post has no context and is therefore worthless. Try communicating your thoughts next time.
not on its own, no, but if GTA is an alternate reality, explain GTA London.

If you don't know the game, you aren't old enough to be playing GTA V

There is no explanation, but I'm sure GTA London isn't 100% accurate to real life London. Vice City also takes place in Florida but it's obviously a satire of Miami in real life. GTA London is not canon in the current generation of games.
so explain the differences between sa 04 and sa 13 if the games today are canon.

What are you talking about? GTA San Andreas is also not canon in the current generation of games.

haythem09
  • haythem09

Honorbru Dispray

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

Look at all these replies..... I can some it up in one...

C O P Y R I G H T

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

It's a game and only mimics the real world. Or as they say, GTA is made up for everything Americana, the stuff we see on TV. The whole purpose of GTA is not to be real or try to be real, but offer a comical variant on what is real. Things like companies, (FIB not FBI) and as you've said all the car names - add to what they are trying to achieve.

Fib is British slang for a lie FYI, not anything Americano there

"fib" is a word we use here as well. But FIB is just "FBI' with the letters revesered and potentially a side joke on the word 'fib'. 

It's still American themed and based off their FBI - most other countries don't have a level of enforcement between Police and Spy/Upper Level. 

But on topic, with the cars I don't think it's about being a fake world but rather to save time. I mean to get permission from those car companies would likely require:

- lots of meetings

- lots of lawyers

- many manfucaturers will want realistic physics e.g. Bugatti Veyron top speed was cut in the game, there is no spoiler breaking, and it works great off road 

- vehicle testing to ensure those points

- possibly even a licensing fee

- half would say no outright because of the controversial nature - does Ms Smith want to buy a minivan from a company who supports that violent video game?

Not worth it. You'll even see in many car games "RUF" aftermarket models instead of original Porsche because Porsche wouldn't play ball - so the Comet would always be the Comet. Give them fake names, make the game how you want to, it's a win all around.

By avoiding real names you save yourself from a lot of crap. I still reckon they must have a team of lawyers so they can confirm what they can 'get away with' .

thieves
  • thieves

Prankster

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

The vehicular manslaughter / homicide thing probably, don't know, just making a guess here  :pp 

Acky.
  • Acky.

Tommy

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

If you think about it, the fan base of MCLA is nowhere near the size of GTA, so the premium for such licensing on this game would be ridiculous.

And another point I'd like to make; which car manufacturer would allow a series like GTA to allow for their car license to be used? It's a negative image to the rest of the world despite the success of GTA.

Sir Phil McKraken
  • Sir Phil McKraken

International Squeaker Assassin

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

It's just far far easier to model and use your own designed cars. Imagine going to Audi, Ford, Chevy, VW, Land Rover and all the others and asking to use their cars in the game. Not only would they have to be modelled dead on perfectly for the company to be happy (even though they wouldn't even approve a game like GTA to use them), they would have to pay an absolute fortune in licencing fees. Its just not worth the hassle when everyone will be able to tell what the cars are based off of in the first place anyway. Driver: San Francisco I guess was approved to use real cars due to no harm to in-game peds and you couldn't actually steal the cars, just "inhabit" the driver.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users