Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why don't Rockstar call cars there real names?

37 replies to this topic
TigerVsLion
  • TigerVsLion

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

Why do R* change the look of a car slightly and chnge the name. I know it's for copyright, but why don't they request permission?

I'd love them to make a car which was full Lamborghini or Ferrari instead of mixing 4 cars into one. I don't like the back of the Obey 9F, the lights are circular unlike the real Audi R8 which looks alot better. I must say I prefer the Adder in game than the real Bugatti Veyron though.

Am I wrong, did they ask for permission but got turned down? this is GTA, the biggest game in the world, I'm sure if they did ask they'd get the rights. Midnight Club had real car names if I'm not mistaken.

Hopefully in GTA 6 they'll call cars by their real titles, so the Truffade Adder can be called Bugatti Veyron, the Grotti Cheetah can be called Ferrari Enzo, etc.

Wherewolf
  • Wherewolf

Fak u

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:51 PM Edited by Wherewolf, 20 October 2013 - 08:52 PM.

Why do R* change the look of a car slightly and chnge the name. I know it's for copyright, but why don't they request permission?

I'd love them to make a car which was full Lamborghini or Ferrari instead of mixing 4 cars into one. I don't like the back of the Obey 9F, the lights are circular unlike the real Audi R8 which looks alot better. I must say I prefer the Adder in game than the real Bugatti Veyron though.

Am I wrong, did they ask for permission but got turned down? this is GTA, the biggest game in the world, I'm sure if they did ask they'd get the rights. Midnight Club had real car names if I'm not mistaken.

Hopefully in GTA 6 they'll call cars by their real titles, so the Truffade Adder can be called Bugatti Veyron, the Grotti Cheetah can be called Ferrari Enzo, etc.

Licensing issues will make this impossible. They'd end up spending a couple million just buying the licenses to all of these registered trademarks.

Plus, GTA is a satire of real life, so to use those real life companies would kinda defeat the purpose of the series.

IH8PITT
  • IH8PITT

Let's Go Mountaineers

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

Getting the licensing rights to use actual names and likenesses would likely cost a fair amount of money. Also, it's probable that the different car manufacturers throughout the world wouldn't want their brands associated with a video game series that is infamous for violence, drug use, nudity, etc. Personally, I like the GTA versions of the real-world vehicles.

andym
  • andym

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Can you imagine all the Lawyers just dribbling at all the very thought of it?All the claims for spurious stuff!

BlackFeather SR
  • BlackFeather SR

Assassin

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

Licensing issues will make this impossible. They'd end up spending a couple million just buying the licenses to all of these registered trademarks.

Plus, GTA is a satire of real life, so to use those real life companies would kinda defeat the purpose of the series.
GTA london

Touwe
  • Touwe

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

Because no car company in their right mind would sell Grand Theft Auto the rights to use their car names. So rather than waste time and money on that Rockstar knows they can make them close, and every now and then use it to slip a nice joke in.

Itsagimp
  • Itsagimp

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:57 PM Edited by Itsagimp, 20 October 2013 - 08:59 PM.

Because most companies don't like to see their cars damaged or portrayed in video games that aren't sims. For balance issue, rockstar make want a certain brand faster then another, and that could cause huge issues with the car company. Most don't care , while other companies like Lamborghini or Porsche require hefty prices to include.

Also, I think some of the bigger companies have exclusive rights to use them, plus rockstar can be more creative having fake names and alter designs to their own will

Doofey
  • Doofey

Old Skool, you know it!

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

I doubt the car manufacturers want to get involved in the legal surroundings of this game.

So R* doesnt even try to obtain the licenses since they dint want to nor need to. (I'm guessing.)

Why pay a royalty when there is nothing in it for you? They accomplish the same task with made up cars.

ryan_J
  • ryan_J

GTA FOR LIFE !

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

There is the issue of car manufacturers not wanting to associate with such a notorious video game but this is not the main issue, the main issue is that the Grand Theft Auto universe is a satirical look at the real world, rockstar wouldn't be able to make a joke out of Ferrari so they use the name Grotti which is a slang term for dirty, which is ironic humour!

Its the same reason Rockstar don't use Sprite but choose to use Sprunk, Spunk is a slang term for sperm/semem so they use a combination of the two!

Grand Theft Auto wouldn't be the same if it used real brands because there is no room for humour or parody in any way, where's the fun in that?

• Greasepalms and wallpaper42 like this

Pitch~Black
  • Pitch~Black

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

Besides GTA takes place in an alternate reality. It only makes sense that things would have alternate names. Same reason it's called Los Santos and not Los Angeles.

buskape
  • buskape

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

I actually call the cars I see in real life with the GTA names

Wherewolf
  • Wherewolf

Fak u

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

GTA london

This post has no context and is therefore worthless. Try communicating your thoughts next time.

BlackFeather SR
  • BlackFeather SR

Assassin

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

Besides GTA takes place in an alternate reality. It only makes sense that things would have alternate names. Same reason it's called Los Santos and not Los Angeles.

GTA London

BlackFeather SR
  • BlackFeather SR

Assassin

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:13 PM Edited by BlackFeather SR, 20 October 2013 - 09:14 PM.

GTA london

This post has no context and is therefore worthless. Try communicating your thoughts next time.
not on its own, no, but if GTA is an alternate reality, explain GTA London.

If you don't know the game, you aren't old enough to be playing GTA V

727gta
  • 727gta

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Because Lawyers would have a field day unless R* was given permission. 

Wherewolf
  • Wherewolf

Fak u

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

GTA london

There is no explanation, but I'm sure GTA London isn't 100% accurate to real life London. Vice City also takes place in Florida but it's obviously a satire of Miami in real life. GTA London is not canon in the current generation of games.

BlackFeather SR
  • BlackFeather SR

Assassin

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

GTA london

There is no explanation, but I'm sure GTA London isn't 100% accurate to real life London. Vice City also takes place in Florida but it's obviously a satire of Miami in real life. GTA London is not canon in the current generation of games.
so explain the differences between sa 04 and sa 13 if the games today are canon.

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

GTA London

inJ3HgrXWvicU.gif

TigerVsLion
  • TigerVsLion

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

How come it's fine for a car to be faster or able to be smashed up in Need For Speed but not GTA?

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:28 PM Edited by Celticfang, 20 October 2013 - 09:29 PM.

In a nutshell....Car makers HATE GTA, they hate it because of what it is.

Now as for the makers themselves?

Ford: Don't allow their cars in games where peds can be damaged at all.

Ferrari: Now their exclusive deal with MS is over, they still command a seven figure fee plus come with restrictions (It was speculated for years that they told game devs their cars had to be the best in games)

Porsche/Audi/BMW: Exclusive to EA (Porsche) or ties to EA (others) and also come with restrictions. Also command 6-7 figure fees

Lamborghini: 7-8 figure fees (if Atari could be believed last year during TDU2 development), restrictions.

Restrictions?

Yep, car makers can pretty much kill a game as they are very, VERY protective bout their image.

Anyone remember GRID? The first one, that had the DLC with the car pack I mean. Well, one car maker (that shall remain nameless) refused to sign because they didn't want smoke coming out of their cars. They signed after it was pointed out smoke came out of EVERY car in that game.

Or, let's say GTA 9 got Lambo on board then Lambo saw the script. They can tell R* to redo things or take bits out. So you got this mission where Rob is driving drunk through VC, it sounds super cool, but Lambo demand it's removal. Then the in-game Lambo gets wrecked. It'd normally catch fire? Not with Lambo's licensing, the car just sits there with no smoke or flame and instead of exploding, just despawns.

EDIT:

How come it's fine for a car to be faster or able to be smashed up in Need For Speed but not GTA?

Because NFS doesn't have you running over peds (which some car makers, hey Ford) hate. Also EA has a LOT more power with the car makers than R* strangely. Plus in NFS the damage only ever goes so far.

• wallpaper42 likes this

wallpaper42
  • wallpaper42

Hustler

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

It's not about that. They don't want their cars in a game where you can run innocent civilians over and go on killing rampages. But like others have said at this point real cars wouldn't fit with the GTA universe anyway. 

Also I don't know if you've noticed the the cars in NFS games have very minimal damage.

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

It's not about that. They don't want their cars in a game where you can run innocent civilians over and go on killing rampages. But like others have said at this point real cars wouldn't fit with the GTA universe anyway. 

Also I don't know if you've noticed the the cars in NFS games have very minimal damage.

Compare the damage in Burnout Paradise with the NFS MW rerelease and.

Case in point.

aurther61287
  • aurther61287

Hustler

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

as big as this game is the car companies ought to pay rockstar in order to get their product placed in the game.

bloodblossom
  • bloodblossom

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

thats not the problem.. the problem is its bad publicity.. would you want people trashing and blowing up your cars in a video game about stealing cars and crime? would be the worst publicity you could get... no one in their right mind would agree to it.

Ewok626
  • Ewok626

Thug

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

Wait for the PC version. We will be able to have exact car models and names with mods.

MarkGTAV
  • MarkGTAV

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

- Cost of rights
- Actually getting car manufacturers to agree
- The GTA cars have become some what of a trademark for the games and it would be a shame to change that

gnad1992
  • gnad1992

f*ck off

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

because $$$$$$$$$$$$$

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homie

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:35 PM Edited by darkdayz, 20 October 2013 - 09:35 PM.

It's a game and only mimics the real world. Or as they say, GTA is made up for everything Americana, the stuff we see on TV. The whole purpose of GTA is not to be real or try to be real, but offer a comical variant on what is real. Things like companies, (FIB not FBI) and as you've said all the car names - add to what they are trying to achieve.

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

FIB not FBI

Is there any truth to the rumor they were asked to change FBI to FIB or not actually? I was skulking around Google earlier and saw a few people claiming the DoJ requested the change (though, that's not unlikely given the f*cking UNITED NATIONS had the BBC change UNIT from UN to Unified in Dr Who, which is a far, far bigger thing than GTA)

cml41
  • cml41

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

GranTurismo does it but you can't get a lot of companies on board with such a controversial game like GTA V

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users