Photo

is Red Dead Redemption and GTA V in the same universe

78 replies to this topic
ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

Obviously, Red Dead is a fictional series within GTA's HD universe.

Inception got nothin' on R*

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

To build on what Sleepy187 is saying;

Bucharest, Bali, Indonesia, Glasgow, Puerto Rico, Detroit, Preston (UK), Moscow, Dublin, Arizona, Minneapois, Baghdad, Belfast, Iowa, Iran, Vietnam, Dubai, Ibiza, Vladivostok, Djibouti, Fairbanks, Tuskegee, Panama City, Santiago, Texas, and California were all either mentioned by a character, referenced on the radio, or listed on one of the in-game websites in GTA IV.

'Splain all that!

Also there was a country music DJ in GTA San Andreas that makes mention of having never been to New York City implying it existed alongside Liberty City in the GTA3 universe. Mindf*ck.

combo65
  • combo65

It Spins

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

I tried to have a little fun and use both of them in the same video.

Very cool, man.

I especially liked how you were riding Mustangs back and forth in both games toward the end there. Nice touch.

Thank you. I was hoping someone would catch what I did there.

Detained
  • Detained

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:57 AM Edited by Detained, 21 October 2013 - 12:08 PM.

No it is not in the same universe the sun glare in RDR is amazing as is the depth of field and i might add the weather  as well. GTA V is like an arcade looking rage engine the sun flare is terrible 

they did get the water effect spot on but other than that GTA V doesn't even come close to matching up with RDR.

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

the sun flare is terrible 

THIS.

I'm surprised more people haven't pointed out how cheap this looks in game. It's surprising too because they did such an amazing job with the visual effects (bloom, I guess?) as you exit a tunnel and have to readjust to the sunlight outside.

Detained
  • Detained

Peon

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:18 PM Edited by Detained, 21 October 2013 - 12:22 PM.

Yeah the sun rays in RDR was breath taking to look at.

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Bucharest, Bali, Indonesia, Glasgow, Puerto Rico, Detroit, Preston (UK), Moscow, Dublin, Arizona, Minneapois, Baghdad, Belfast, Iowa, Iran, Vietnam, Dubai, Ibiza, Vladivostok, Djibouti, Fairbanks, Tuskegee, Panama City, Santiago, Texas, and California were all either mentioned by a character, referenced on the radio, or listed on one of the in-game websites in GTA IV.
'Splain all that!
Also there was a country music DJ in GTA San Andreas that makes mention of having never been to New York City implying it existed alongside Liberty City in the GTA3 universe. Mindf*ck.

Liberty City wasn't New York in the 3D era. It was a fictional city, based on New York, Portland, and one other one (Seattle?). The HD era is taking real cities and changing the names of the cities and the states that hold them. Alderney is New Jersey, San Andreas is California, Liberty (State) is New York, and so on.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • Uganda

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

'Splain all that!

Liberty City wasn't New York in the 3D era. It was a fictional city, based on New York, Portland, and one other one (Seattle?). The HD era is taking real cities and changing the names of the cities and the states that hold them. Alderney is New Jersey, San Andreas is California, Liberty (State) is New York, and so on.

And who said that Liberty City from IV -IS- New York? Who said it wasn't BASED on New York?
Buildings look the same, does that mean it is New York?

I'd love a source from R*, if not, then LC from IV is pretty much -Based- on NY.

Remember, in III, the Twin Towers were supposed to be in, but due to September 11 attacks, they removed them. Explain that? If it was just -based- on NY?

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

'Splain all that!

And who said that Liberty City from IV -IS- New York? Who said it wasn't BASED on New York?o
Buildings look the same, does that mean it is New York?

I'd love a source from R*, if not, then LC from IV is pretty much -Based- on NY.

Remember, in III, the Twin Towers were supposed to be in, but due to September 11 attacks, they removed them. Explain that? If it was just -based- on NY?

LC from III was based on Several cities, not just NY. How is that hard to understand?

LC from IV is only based on New York.

Jesus I'm getting sick of people like you.

FenderFlix
  • FenderFlix

Random Guy

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Just because there's a place called Liberty City which is based on real-life New York, it doesn't mean that there can't be a place called New York in the same universe. Same with San Andreas and California. Plus you can't take the ingame media too seriously on that because in IV the poker show on TV took place in SA's Las Venturas. To make things even worse, Love Fist physically exists in both Vice City and V...

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

To make things even worse, Love Fist physically exists in both Vice City and V...

Technically, this isn't true. Willy is the only member of the band that appears in GTA V, and it just so happens that he never made a physical appearance in Vice City.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:05 AM Edited by legend9090, 24 October 2013 - 12:06 AM.

There's an easter egg of SA

Spoiler
and that's obviously not the same universe, but you never know.

• pikachu2g likes this

Fidelio
  • Fidelio

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

bumping this thread. I don't remember where I read this but R* has stated that the in game cities don't replace their real life counterparts. Miami has been mentioned on physical signs in GTA games including Vice City, proving that they are separate places. California is also mentioned as being a separate place from San Andreas. So there's no reason why New York doesn't also exist alongside Liberty City. Red Dead Redemption also takes place in a fictional state called West Elizabeth, so trying to make the argument that it takes place in a so called "real life universe" is just wrong. I'm more so leaning towards RDR existing in the HD GTA Universe along with the settings of Manhunt and Bully. 

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Yes.

No its not. 

Red Dead Redemption they talk about New York City.

Liberty City is New York City. 

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

It could be as it's set in the Western times in the same HD universe. Most likely the mid-late 1800's. His son could have been born in the very early - early 1900's and he could have wrote the book when he grew up. Honestly, this doesn't sound far fetched. Or it could be a completely different situation.

RDR is set in 1911 to 1914.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

'Splain all that!

God, I f*cking hate it when people try to bring this sh*t up and have no idea what they're talking about. Maybe if you used your brain for a second you wouldn't sound like a complete idiot.

If Rockstar made up names (didn't use the real ones) of all those places you mentioned, nobody would have any f*cking clue what the characters, websites, or people on the radio are talking about. They'd just be spouting off their alternate names for cities, and no one would know what real-life city they're talking about.

When people say Los Santos or Liberty City at least the player knows their talking about Los Angeles or New York - because these names have already been established as the GTA World's names for LA and NY.

If someone on the radio starts talking about f*cking Alpine County, they could be talking about Alaska, Minnesota, or some bum-f*ck area in Russia. No one would know what the hell they're talking about.

The DJ that says he's never been to New York City after playing a song that mentions NYC? It's because Liberty City is NYC in the GTA Universe - so of course the guy has never been there. Are you going to complain that Rockstar uses songs on the radio that mention LA, NY? Because there is no way in hell they're going to painstakingly have all the songs in the game that mention real-life counterparts edited with the GTA Names. And I'm pretty sure that was in GTA IV after "New York Groove" is played on the radio.

Point is, there is no reason for everything in the game to have a made-up name. It's already been established that San Andreas is the GTA World's California. Liberty City is New York. Vice City is Miami. Stop trying to speculate on things that don't need speculation or find some "deeper meaning." Learn to take things at face value. Not everything is some f*cking cryptic puzzle.

• TaviColen123 and tikhung01 like this

Muhammad Hamdan
  • Muhammad Hamdan

Spammaster

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

RDR is set on 1910 and as for book in Frank's house? it could be novel :D 

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:02 PM Edited by Jimbatron, 17 February 2014 - 09:03 PM.

It is clearly not the same, as others have said, both California and New York are mentioned my name, not San Andreas and Liberty City. California is actually mentioned in the Strangers Mission for Sam Odessa of that very name - John tells him it is in the west and to follow the setting sun.

However.... drum roll.....

There's nothing to say that in the GTA HD universe, back in time there wasn't an outlaw called John Marston who lived a very similar life to one we encountered, it just wouldn't be the same John we played as in RDR (when you think about it, RDR Undead Nightmare is a parallel universe to the main game, the two stories can't co-exist).

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

Yes, the same universe. John marston is trevor's grandfather. If you think about it, trevor is just a bald version of john marston, appearance wise.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Bro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

Yes, the same universe. John marston is trevor's grandfather. If you think about it, trevor is just a bald version of john marston, appearance wise.

So you're basing this on no factual evidence. Seems legit.

Personally I don't think the games are related to each other. I just think it's an easter egg, nothing more.

Now if there was a TV documentary, movie or radio commercial that mentioned or indirectly talked about RDR's setting, characters, or anything else related to the game, then I guess it would be a safe assumption to say that yes they are related.

We can safely assume that Bully and Manhunt are in the same universe as the HD GTA series because Bullworth Academy and Carcer City were both mentioned in IV. Carcer City being just a few miles from Liberty City, and Bullworth Academy being shown on TV in the show I'm Rich. 

So until then, I'm going to say no they are not set in the same universe.

hugh750
  • hugh750

JUST PLAIN CRAZY!!!

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

it would have been cool to have met of john marston's descendants in the gta 5 world

Fidelio
  • Fidelio

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:06 AM

bumping this thread. I don't remember where I read this but R* has stated that the in game cities don't replace their real life counterparts. Miami has been mentioned on physical signs in GTA games including Vice City, proving that they are separate places. California is also mentioned as being a separate place from San Andreas. So there's no reason why New York doesn't also exist alongside Liberty City. Red Dead Redemption also takes place in a fictional state called West Elizabeth, so trying to make the argument that it takes place in a so called "real life universe" is just wrong. I'm more so leaning towards RDR existing in the HD GTA Universe along with the settings of Manhunt and Bully. 

I'm just going to quote myself since nobody seemed to pay attention to what I said

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:20 AM

meet-the-new-thread-same-as-the-old-thre

NikoBellicSister
  • NikoBellicSister

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Yes because gta 5 takes place in the 1800's. -_-

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Go Big Blue!

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

Mine does. What GTA V are you playing?

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

You're doing it wrong.

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

The answer (no) has been said already so I won't echo the same statements. 

But one thing perhaps of interest is that R* really do like re-using names across games.

De Santa in RDR, Michael De Santa in GTA V.

De Silva in MP3, Albert De Silva in Project Rush.

Elysian FIelds in LA Noire, Elysian Fields Freeway in GTA V.

The list goes on. 

THE_TREVALEV
  • THE_TREVALEV

they eat da poo poo

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Isn't GTA it's own universe?

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

There's nothing to say that in the GTA HD universe, back in time there wasn't an outlaw called John Marston who lived a very similar life to one we encountered, it just wouldn't be the same John we played as in RDR (when you think about it, RDR Undead Nightmare is a parallel universe to the main game, the two stories can't co-exist).

Yeah you're right, there isn't. At this point you're just writing fan fiction.

RDR is in a separate universe, it is its own thing. Bully and Manhunt belong to the 3D Universe, but from dialogue in IV there are HD versions of Bullworth and Carcer City that we haven't seen yet.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

RDR is no f*ckin' way related to GTAs universe. No f*ckin' way I say.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users