Photo

GTA Online Bad Sport Blackout, November 2

22 replies to this topic
MrTehPuppy
  • MrTehPuppy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

TL, DR version: The Bad Sport system shouldn't apply to invite only sessions. Video game petitions don't do anything, video game blackouts get things done. If you support the change, don't post about, tweet about, or play GTA Online on November 2. 

Long winded and carefully thought out version:

I am aware that there is a petition to have the bad sport system in  GTA: O removed. I disagree with removing the mechanic in it's entirety and I have been playing video games long enough to know that petitions to video game developers never work. Ever. Some time ago however, a few video game community sites that I did moderator work and video approval for, decided to rally the community in an organized show of force. We threatened to stop playing a particular video game on a specific date if the issues with the game were not fixed. It worked. (For those unbelieving of this statement http://www.lmgtfy.co...ield 3 Blackout )

Why a blackout? Rockstar has chosen to remain silent to the public outcries. Refusing to acknowledge that anything is wrong or broken. So if Rockstar wishes to remain silent on the issue, we the gamers will return that deafening silence by not playing, posting about, or tweeting about their game for a solid 24 hour period on November 2.

What's the real issue: Firstly, it should be noted that this is NOT an attempt to get the Bad Sport mechanic removed entirely. I like the game mechanic. To some degree, it serves its purpose and keeps the less than desirable players away from the majority of players who just want to have fun playing the game as intended. However, being a completely automated system that doesn't take in game circumstances into account, there are several occasions in which players are unjustly banished to the bad sport servers. One brief example of this would be an instance I read about in the Rockstar support forums in which a player stepped away from the controller for a period of time while his in game character sat idle inside a tank. Another player, for whatever reason, decided to take the time to repeatedly crash their own personal vehicle into the tank repeatedly. Each suicidal crash counting as a bad sport mark for the guy sitting AFK in the tank. 

I am a computer IT professional by trade and realize that there isn't really anything Rockstar can do to prevent the above mentioned situation. But here's where I think the real problem is. Because that poor guy AFK in a tank got trolled by some random jerk, not only is he banished to the bad sport servers for the next two days. He can't even play in an invite only session with his non bad sport friends.

The above mentioned situation isn't the only time where people are being unjustly banished to the bad sport side of GTA: O either. I personally have had an instance in, what started as a fun 2 versus 1 freestyle deathmatch in free roam, quickly escalated into a 4 versus 1 spawn kill fest. Growing tired of being spawn killed over and over I first tried to enable passive mode only to discover that all of the previous back and forth had left me with no cash in my pockets and apparently, you can't enable passive mode with money in your bank account. Not wanting to stop playing for the day but also not quite done playing with other players for the day, I decided to just switch to a new server. The 4 individuals who had been harassing me earlier used the XBL's "previously played with" feature and joined in on my session and continued to chase me down and murder me every chance they got. I switched servers again,and again they followed me. During all of these encounters I had destroyed their personal vehicles numerous times in an effort to stay alive (sorry, I'm just not skilled enough to kill four people in one car with a gun before they kill me) and to stop them from chasing me all over the map. While I knew I hadn't gotten the full bad sport banishment yet, I feared I was getting close to it so I HAD to stop playing GTA: O in the multiplayer servers all together.

Under different circumstances, I honestly wouldn't have cared to just keep fighting back which would inevitably had led to my banishment to the bad sport servers except for the fact that I am a YouTuber. Not a big one by any means with just over 875 subscribers, but a video game content producing YouTuber none the less. I have plans with a small group of friends to record and upload our misadventures for other's personal entertainment. I can't exactly go though with those plans if I'm stuck in the bad sport servers because bad sport players cannot even play in "invite only" sessions or private missions/deathmatches/etc with friends who are NOT bad sports.

Why this is the way the game is configured is beyond me. If I'm in an invite only session and I invite someone to play with me, it's because I want to play with them regardless of whether or not they are marked as a bad sport. Furthermore, why any sort of activity that would otherwise normally be considered as being a "bad sport" in an invite only session is absurd. You mean to tell me that it's possible to get the ol' dunce cap because I was having a few good laughs with my own friends who were willingly taking part in the mayhem??? It's just plain dumb.

Earning a bad sport through quitting jobs early? Some people just have shoddy internet connections. You're going to punish those people because better internet  service isn't available to them? It would NOT be hard to tell the difference between someone that ran out of lives during a mission and hit exit and someone who just disconnected from the GTA: O servers entirely... Sure some people could abuse this if it was changed to allow for that type of disconnect by simply dashboarding out. But with it taking them a solid 5 minutes to get back into the game after quitting a game like that and the fact that Rockstar could STILL make that early quit count as a loss for the player regardless of the outcome of the job. I don't see the problem with changing it. A player with a shoddy internet connection will likely GLADLY take a couple unfortunate losses on the Social Club stats page rather than be banished to the realm of  bad sports.

The Solution: Allow "bad sport" players to play with other non "bad sport" players in invite only sessions. Disable anything that would normally count towards a player becoming a "bad sport" in an invite only sessions and privately set up jobs. Tell us how the "bad sport" mechanic actually works. Don't penalize players for disconnecting during jobs (not to be confused with quitting jobs).

while I understand that they are being tight lipped about the bad sport mechanics in an effort to not let the true trolls know how far they can go without getting penalized. It's  only a  matter of time before the exact details are figured out anyway. So why not just tell us now? You're just delaying the  inevitable Rockstar.

Conclusion I understand I am a part of the vocal minority here. Sure we may see people complaining about these issues all over the place, but in reality, only a very small portion of the 15,000,000+ gamers who own GTA V will ever get on the internet to do anything related to the game, even fewer will read forums and b*tch about broken game mechanics. Most gamers are "casuals". But I like to think that the changes I have suggested make sense and won't cause ANYONE any distress if they were implemented.

So, if you're with me, leave a comment to let me know you're willing to join me on the November 2 GTA: O blackout. Then go tell your friends about it, hell show them this post. If you're a fellow YouTuber, make a video discussing the topic to help spread the word. If you're the owner of a GTA community site, do an article on it. Tweet this at Rockstar. Hell if someone wants to just copy and paste this on Reddit or wherever else, you have my permission. Just spread the word. The ramblings of a lone gamer ranting and rambling on a forum will undoubtedly be ignored but the screams of thousands of gamers raising awareness to boycott playing a game for a day if certain issues aren't addressed? That'll get some attention. If you disagree with what I've said, tell me why. I like to think my ideas are foolproof but I am not so naive as to think that I'm never wrong. I'm just trying to make sure that we can all have fun playing a game we're obviously passionate about.

Peace,

MrTehPuppy

• B Dawg and theoth267 like this

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

Can you explain to me why this would work? Since everything they're giving us is free anyway, what would this really accomplish?

CmdrKnifes
  • CmdrKnifes

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

I didnt read it all.. and noone but me has a big enough mouth to say 1 day of no players would help servers.. and who couldnt give a sh*t.. if it was a business then thats different... as its free to play sence I own it.. there will be no care if noone plays it on that day.. plus only forum posters .. readers .. na it wont work.. they laugh at you with a :miranda: beat you with stick.. sorry bro.. just go run an airplane into the rstar office building that will solve everything

iEatzNiggletz
  • iEatzNiggletz

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

dude I agreed with everything you just said. I'm 100% in. This Bad Sport Automated system needs to be fixed!

Rinsaf
  • Rinsaf

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

lmao. I'll be playing all day, tweet-botting and posting relentlessly to make up for any shortfall from morons :)

MrTehPuppy
  • MrTehPuppy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Can you explain to me why this would work? Since everything they're giving us is free anyway, what would this really accomplish?

Players taking even a one day break from mentioning or playing the game is a hit to their advertising. Even though it's free advertising for Rockstar, every time you you talk about it on twitter, forums, reddit, YouTube; it's helping to sell more copies of the game. Not playing for a day will cost you and I nothing, but it WILL cost Rockstar potential revenue.

Rinsaf
  • Rinsaf

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

Players taking even a one day break from mentioning or playing the game is a hit to their advertising. Even though it's free advertising for Rockstar, every time you you talk about it on twitter, forums, reddit, YouTube; it's helping to sell more copies of the game. Not playing for a day will cost you and I nothing, but it WILL cost Rockstar potential revenue.

41631712.jpg

Rockwheels
  • Rockwheels

PSN: Clueless_Muffin

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:35 PM Edited by Rockwheels, 19 October 2013 - 06:43 PM.

This might work if we have enough support. If we do, then I'm in.

I'll post this on Reddit or something when I get time lol

GraniteDevil
  • GraniteDevil

The Logic Maker

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

More bitching from the guys who don't want to suffer from being douchebags.

And the world turns.

kevswans
  • kevswans

FREEDOM FIGHTER

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

Hell yea man KEVINGANG supports this 100% we shall share this with our crew.

goodluck,

Swanson

#KGOD

MrTehPuppy
  • MrTehPuppy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

I clearly didn't read your post and still feel the need to try and belittle you in an attempt to make myself feel better.

And the world turns.

I agree. Perhaps you should read what's said before calling people "douchebags".

M16A3 TryHard
  • M16A3 TryHard

Carbine Rifle Tryhard

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

Kinda agree.

Guess I'll go play BF3 or BF4 that day instead. :l

M16A3 TryHard
  • M16A3 TryHard

Carbine Rifle Tryhard

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

And the world turns.

Please, you know the Bad Sport System is utter bullsh*t and poorly designed. Everyone knows.

When you get chased down by others in cars, I suppose you just die instead of destroying your threat?

mbhitman
  • mbhitman

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Good luck with this endeavor.

gunslinger88
  • gunslinger88

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

lol 

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

And the world turns.

41631712.jpg

How about you read the whole post before doing anything...

SAVILLAIN
  • SAVILLAIN

ha ha ha

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

don't post about, tweet about, or play GTA Online on November 2. 

NDLefiO.png

jamminsport16
  • jamminsport16

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

I agree, but im still going to play.

An Arctic Fox
  • An Arctic Fox

Fox

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Then sir, I will play GTA 5 on Nov 2nd. I will post about it on twitter , Facebook and youtube!

Rinsaf
  • Rinsaf

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

NDLefiO.png

Winner :D

Scar3dGam3r
  • Scar3dGam3r

Proto-Hipster

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

It's not like your not getting gas on a particular day, like there has been before- this is literally going to accomplish NOTHING. 

ProblemChiild88
  • ProblemChiild88

Trick

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

51c88a54afa96f4d20000001.jpg

MrTehPuppy
  • MrTehPuppy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

NDLefiO.png

LMAO! That's a good one. Yeah I am painfully aware that I as one person have no power on the matter. To make matters better for my case it would seem that some here would rather just say they are going to play on that day just to spite me. I guess they find it funny? If you want to be funny, try doing like this guy and take shots at me via memes that you weren't creative enough to come up with. I'm actually quite surprised there hasn't been a "first world problems girl" response yet.

I don't expect to get through to many on a forum that's filled with more trolls than folks who actually care about the game. But perhaps I can get through to a few. Can't blame a guy for trying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users