Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTAV update/patch removes lightning strike effects.

44 replies to this topic
Matty_1980
  • Matty_1980

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:03 PM Edited by Matty_1980, 20 December 2013 - 11:27 AM.

Hi all.

So you see all those cool lightning bolts shooting through the sky when playing GTAV? The ones that happen every time you play the level "Friends Reunited" where Trevor has to blow up the bikers trailers. Or everytime you enter the weather cheat. Wondered why they have disappeared recently?  Well, i have discovered that it's the update/patch that has removed them.

When i first played the level "Friends Reunited" i was blown away by the lightning bolt effects. So i messed around with the weather cheat to show a friend.  Then came the update/patch from Rockstar in October. After the patch i noticed that the thundery weather was still there, but there were no more of those cool lightning bolts shooting through the sky no matter how many times i replayed that level or entered the weather cheat. It just thundered and the whole sky flashed like in GTA4, but there were NO lightning bolts streaking through the sky anymore like before the update/patch.

Then i deleted the October update/patch and voila, those super cool lightning bolts effects were back in full force. 

So the update/patch (on the 360 at least) removes the lightning bolt effects.

Try it out for yourselves. Play that level or use the weather cheat with the update/patch installed and you WON'T see or get any lightning bolt effects no matter how long you wait or try. Then delete the patch and try again, they will instantly be back in full force. 

FPS isn't an issue, at least not on my 360. All runs smooth even with the lightning bolts. 

So i'm guessing it's just a conflicting bug in the update or something.

Here is a video http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PuggQEH7vYU

GOOD NEWS! THE LATEST 1.08 PATCH RESTORES THE LIGHTNING BOLT EFFECTS! WOOT WOOT!  :panic: 

BoomBoomMAN
  • BoomBoomMAN

BomBomMan

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Serious? Cancelling my pre order if serious.

• Fuzzknuckles, Benfolio and Benniwest like this

TheAdmiester
  • TheAdmiester

Saywha'?

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I recall the FPS dropping quite a bit during those strikes. A sudden drop in FPS might be a bit bad.

• TakinThyBacon likes this

GayHomo
  • GayHomo

Confirmed Busta

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

Lightning strikes to be brought back via $20 DLC in a few months
  • Organ-Donor, Udrift and robban like this

GR0VE4LIF3
  • GR0VE4LIF3

Peon

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

how could people not disappoint this heh fanboys and defenders u f*cking f*cks

Pumptruffle
  • Pumptruffle

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

Think I've only had lightning in my game once. Haven't had a thunderstorm in hours of free roaming.

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Most likely it is all about stability, FPS would be my guess

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

The trolls awake

Matty_1980
  • Matty_1980

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I recall the FPS dropping quite a bit during those strikes. A sudden drop in FPS might be a bit bad.

I never had or have a problem with FPS during those lightning strikes. All runs nice and smooth for me. The only time i get FPS issues is when using the submarine on the surface. That happens no matter what the weather is.

Gforce
  • Gforce

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:28 PM Edited by Gforce, 18 October 2013 - 04:47 PM.

Bullsh!t, the title updates do exactly that, they update and overwrite the installed main game files, deleting the patch does absolutely nothing to your game because the game is already patched, go ahead delete it.

to revert your game back to before the patch you would need to fully remove the main game files from your HDD and reinstall them and then disconnect the console from the net to stop it downloading the updates again.

nice try but you're having a placebo effect.

Edit: they appear to have fixed it so you have to download the patch again if you delete it, my original comment was based on the old patch which could be deleted and the game still ran without it in SP, maybe this is to keep online safe now.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Think I've only had lightning in my game once. Haven't had a thunderstorm in hours of free roaming.

Ya know, strangely, I didn't either. My god this game's so f*cked up. This is what you get R* for trying to reach in peoples pockets with online.

Matty_1980
  • Matty_1980

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:00 PM Edited by Matty_1980, 18 October 2013 - 05:11 PM.

Bullsh!t, the title updates do exactly that, they update and overwrite the installed main game files, deleting the patch does absolutely nothing to your game because the game is already patched, go ahead delete it.

to revert your game back to before the patch you would need to fully remove the main game files from your HDD and reinstall them and then disconnect the console from the net to stop it downloading the updates again.

Edit: they appear to have fixed it so you have to download the patch again if you delete it, my original comment was based on the old patch which could be deleted and the game still ran without it in SP, maybe this is to keep online safe now.

Not so.

On my hardrive the update patch was marked as  a separate 59MB update patch. So i just deleted it. I never had to uninstall or reinstall any disc content at all.

And no it's 1 million % not a placebo effect.  I've gone over it over and over playing that same level and using the weather cheat. When the update patch is installed there is NO lightning bolts. Soon as you delete the update patch there are lightning strikes all over.

Like i have said, try it out for yourself.

Jay_
  • Jay_

Trick

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Ever since the release on Sept 17, I've only seen lightning once and that was a week or two ago

Morto Matrix
  • Morto Matrix

Sharpshooter

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

Ever since the release on Sept 17, I've only seen lightning once and that was a week or two ago

Gforce
  • Gforce

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Not so.

On my hardrive the update patch was marked as  a separate 59MB update patch. So i just deleted it. I never had to uninstall or reinstall any disc content at all.

you'll notice I put a line strike through my original comment, that's because I was wrong, I left it so you could see it.

yes you can just delete it, but if you're connected to XBL you will be forced to DL it again, whereas before you could delete it and stay connected and the game still ran which indicated it merely overwrote the main files, now it seems that the update file is needed to play the game with the console connected to XBL.

and after just playing with and without the patch, the lightning is indeed gone.

Matty_1980
  • Matty_1980

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

Not so.

you'll notice I put a line strike through my original comment, that's because I was wrong, I left it so you could see it.

yes you can just delete it, but if you're connected to XBL you will be forced to DL it again, whereas before you could delete it and stay connected and the game still ran which indicated it merely overwrote the main files, now it seems that the update file is needed to play the game with the console connected to XBL.

and after just playing with and without the patch, the lightning is indeed gone.

Ahh right ok. I'm 33 feller, i'm not familiar with the world of online forums and how they work. I'm also an old skool gamer, i don't play games online so i can leave the patch deleted. I come from a time where games were campaign only, so that's what I'm used to and like.  :)

Gforce
  • Gforce

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

Not so.

Ahh right ok. I'm 33 feller, i'm not familiar with the world of online forums and how they work. I'm also an old skool gamer, i don't play games online so i can leave the patch deleted. I come from a time where games were campaign only, so that's what I'm used to and like.  :)

ah it's all good, I'm a bit older so I know what you mean with old skool games  ;)

RockstarFanboy
  • RockstarFanboy

GTA #2 FANBOY / Loyal R* Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Ya know, strangely, I didn't either. My god this game's so f*cked up. This is what you get R* for trying to reach in peoples pockets with online.

I KNOW RIGHT 5 YEARS FOR NO THUNBDERBOLTS f*ck YOU COCKSTAR

Saliva
  • Saliva

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Is this in 1.04 or another ?

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

Good luck getting it back. The technical support team is so slow to report issues and might blame your console too as they're a bunch of morons who haven't even played the game. Jesus, another f*ck up. With Patch 1.05 I bet the water will disappear or fire wont show. Or maybe the hookas clothes will disappear or cars will fall through the sky as rain. God are they even testing the game after these patches. If they do, well the tester must not pay attention to detail.
  • DaTerror likes this

Matty_1980
  • Matty_1980

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

I've reported it already. Maybe someone else can report it to Rockstar via Twitter etc.

I made a video showing off the problem. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PuggQEH7vYU

DaTerror
  • DaTerror

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

4 patches in the first month and they keep f*ckin sh*t up lol its pathetic.

Dr. Sadler
  • Dr. Sadler

Story Mode Fanatic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

The f*ck are you talking about?

Raiden雷電
  • Raiden雷電

I Am Lightning, The Rain Transformed

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

The Title update removes it too doesn't it?

Matty_1980
  • Matty_1980

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

The Title update removes it too doesn't it?

I'm not sure. All i know is i have been forced to download 2 updates for GTAV so far, and both of them have caused the lightning to vanish.

The first update i had to install was at the start of October. The second update i installed was earlier today. So if you can figure out what updates those are.....

fish61324
  • fish61324

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

Doesn't really matter. Like you said, the only time you got to see it was during the mission.... or when you cheat -_-

Grand Cannon
  • Grand Cannon

Everywhere and Nowhere

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:02 AM Edited by Grand Cannon, 19 October 2013 - 01:03 AM.

4 patches in the first month and they keep f*ckin sh*t up lol its pathetic.

Heh, just like when Garry Updates Garry's Mod.

But really, the lightning was so beautiful. Highly doubt it's FPS related.

And to the guy or gal above, that is utter bullsh*t.

Esel
  • Esel

The Official GTAForums Donkey

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

I still see Lightning strikes all the time....

Online and in Story mode...

MonsterCockDude
  • MonsterCockDude

Over 8 inches BPEL of meat.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:11 AM

Good find man.

Also I made a thread before asking if anyone else noticed if it seemed like health got boosted a little bit in the updates. Can you possibly test that?

Possibly some issues or some changes are being made that is not being put on the changelist as well to look out for.

RowanSane
  • RowanSane

SURF crew Commissioner, Xbox 360

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:31 AM

Doesn't really matter. Like you said, the only time you got to see it was during the mission.... or when you cheat -_-

I've had thunderstorms occur naturally while free roaming, definitely in story mode and I think Online too. I always look around for lightning strikes and haven't spotted any in the last couple of storms - could be coincidence.

If they're really gone, I'll just have to treasure the now rare photo of a strike in my snapmatic album...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users