» «
Photo

Exploration - SKYRIM vs GTA 5

77 replies to this topic
Forzum
  • Forzum

Fossy

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:51 AM Edited by Forzum, 21 October 2013 - 09:52 AM.

Comparing GTA V to Skyrim is just wrong even if it's about exploration since they are 2 completely different games.

Skyrim has a much more value of exploring than V, it has tons of dungeons which itself gives skyrim more value of exploration, side quests, dynamic quests, hidden treasures and so much more, but as I said before comparing these 2 games don't really work since they both are very different.

GTA will never have the type of exploration as any elder scrolls game will. In GTA we can explore the entire map within a small amount of time, in a game like Skyrim it can take up to 50-100 hours to really explore everything there is.

Soadisthebest
  • Soadisthebest

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

I love how GTA V is getting compared to Skyrim.  This is the direction R* should take, the RPG route.  Skyrim wins the exploration debate for me because there are unique NPC's that you can decide whether to kill or not and they will never come back as a result.  That was true freedom for me.  Even in New Vegas, the best Fallout there is even with the framerate issues.

In Skyrim or Fallout, you can explore and find unique items or weapons or books or computers that tell stories and lore.  GTA V does have an online component, but the words are too small for me to even read. Can't zoom in or anything because my T.V. isn't high definition.  Plus they had complete and total customization that made every player unique as their own.  Each with their own special abilities, perks, and what not.  Here once everyone reaches 100, everyone will have the same sh*t without giving us the choice of what we could specialize in.

Anyways, GTA Online needs more RPG elements period.  

I wanted to specialize in stealth in GTA Online, but the gameplay just isn't there.  R* has a lot to learn from Bethesda and Obsidian.  They need to learn that making choices and decisions are huge RPG elements.  Something the Walking Dead game did right, but not in an open world.

Take the rpg route with a new franchse? Sure. WIth GTA? Get the f*ck outta here.

ThinRedLine1981
  • ThinRedLine1981

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

If GTA V had interiors it could help but it's no contest: Skyrim all the way.

• rohra likes this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:11 AM Edited by Sol86star, 21 October 2013 - 10:12 AM.

I love how GTA V is getting
compared to Skyrim. This is
the direction R* should take,
the RPG route

Pre-orders for all future GTA's CANCELLED

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:29 AM Edited by King Kapone, 21 October 2013 - 10:29 AM.

I will chime in with this:

Skyrim is a lot more appealing to explore for me personally, due to its mystique as a fantasy world, until the moment you run into two dragons at the same time.

:panic:

• rohra likes this

vrsick
  • vrsick

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

Skyrim is so much better than gta 5 that i get sad when i think i will never be able to play it again for the first time and get that feeling.

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:04 PM Edited by Vatus, 21 October 2013 - 08:12 PM.

This is a bit unfair even though they are both open world games, they are very different.

In Skyrim you go into almost all the interior buildings, talk to most of the people, which gives them a personality aside from the guards, explore dungeons and some of them have stories within them and it's fun to discover. Not to mention the weapons and magic spells you'll encounter in those dungeons. Read books to learn of the lore, and the raidant questing and random events makes the game never ending. Not to mention if you have a PC, then mods would make Skyrim much better and you'll have almost endless amount of play time because of the constant updates.

All of the TES games are better to explore than any GTA games. The whole point of TES games is the adventure and exploration. It's harder for GTA games because it has more NCPs and buildings. They strive to do different things.

TeCNeEk
  • TeCNeEk

GTA Legend

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

I find Skyrim to be rather repetative and boring, but to each his own

Repetition is what killed it for me. The combat gets old quick. I had to force myself to play it to beat it but I never made it that far. I literally did everything but beat the game. lol.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:13 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 22 October 2013 - 12:14 AM.

Repetition is what killed it for me. The combat gets old quick. I had to force myself to play it to beat it but I never made it that far. I literally did everything but beat the game. lol.

Skyrim was repetitious because of the way you play.  Based on what you said, it sounds like your entire approach to a sandbox game is to "beat" what you consider the MQ. When in fact, there really is no MQ by default of the nature of sand box. But from your perspective, in order for you to have "beat" Skyrim, then at minimum (WITHOUT CHEATS) you'd at least have to

* complete every single faction, favor, and side quests next to the MQ in the game. Which means you'd have to have become Guild Master for at least the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guilds at minimum. You'd have to become thane of all the holds, own all the base game houses etc.

* "beat" all 3 DLCs and max all skill trees in these DLCs

* "beat" the Dawnguard DLC by rping first as a Vampire Lord and then as a human. 

* "beat" the Hearthfire DLC by building all 3 houses and adopting 2 kids (vanilla or max 6 kids if using mods)

" "beat" the Dragonborn DLC and finding all the special TES artifacts, books, food, collectibles etc. for that DLC

* max all crafting/cooking/magic skills

* rp as a werewolf for at least the entire Companion faction quest. 

* be at lvl 100 for every single skill tree in the game (ie master blacksmith, swordsman, archer etc)

* explore 100% of the game map, to include every single inch of dungeon (including Blackreach) as well as above ground, every cave/underwater cave, mountain etc.

* explore every special location of interest (including the hidden ones) out in the wilderness and oceans.

* read ALL the books in the game, many of which started a variety of quests to prove or debunk myths based on TES lore from previous TES games

* find all the treasure maps in the game and collect all the treasure from them

* find and collect ALL artifacts from treasure maps and their associated treasure (these were hidden quests in vanilla).

* have all the special animals/pets from all DLCs and base game (Frost, Shadowmere, Meeko, CuSith, Brian, pet rabbits/foxes ) etc. etc.etc

There's no way you could've "beat" Skyrim doing at least all of the above in 2-3 days the way some GTA fanboys beat SP within 48 hours of the game coming out. :lol:

And don't get me started on mods, which add an extensive amount of immersion that was missing in vanilla.  Mods extended the base game life, added even more skill/crafting variety and affect the outcomes of many quests in the game. Like Civil War Overhaul which makes the outcome of the civil war faction quest 100% uncertain.  Modders have added entire new worlds which have added hundreds of hours to the vanilla game.  Kind of hard to be bored when you have access to hundreds of free DLC content on PC.

So IMO, there's really nothing boring about Skyrim (or any sandbox game for that matter).  The game is only limited by the amount of creativity the gamer put into their game play.  So if your style of gaming is to continuously grind with the sole goal of leveling up, then immersion sandbox games like Skyrim really aren't for you.  You're better off playing CoD or WoW TBH.

• rohra likes this

Lagful
  • Lagful

Certified Fresh

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

Skyrim is definitely better for exploration, since that is what it was made for. GTA 5 is more of a massive playground.

• rohra likes this

Victor_Mangano
  • Victor_Mangano

Capo of the Mangano Crime Family

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Skyrim was repetitious because of the way you play.  Based on what you said, it sounds like your entire approach to a sandbox game is to "beat" what you consider the MQ. When in fact, there really is no MQ by default of the nature of sand box. But from your perspective, in order for you to have "beat" Skyrim, then at minimum (WITHOUT CHEATS) you'd at least have to

* complete every single faction, favor, and side quests next to the MQ in the game. Which means you'd have to have become Guild Master for at least the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guilds at minimum. You'd have to become thane of all the holds, own all the base game houses etc.

* "beat" all 3 DLCs and max all skill trees in these DLCs

* "beat" the Dawnguard DLC by rping first as a Vampire Lord and then as a human. 

* "beat" the Hearthfire DLC by building all 3 houses and adopting 2 kids (vanilla or max 6 kids if using mods)

" "beat" the Dragonborn DLC and finding all the special TES artifacts, books, food, collectibles etc. for that DLC

* max all crafting/cooking/magic skills

* rp as a werewolf for at least the entire Companion faction quest. 

* be at lvl 100 for every single skill tree in the game (ie master blacksmith, swordsman, archer etc)

* explore 100% of the game map, to include every single inch of dungeon (including Blackreach) as well as above ground, every cave/underwater cave, mountain etc.

* explore every special location of interest (including the hidden ones) out in the wilderness and oceans.

* read ALL the books in the game, many of which started a variety of quests to prove or debunk myths based on TES lore from previous TES games

* find all the treasure maps in the game and collect all the treasure from them

* find and collect ALL artifacts from treasure maps and their associated treasure (these were hidden quests in vanilla).

* have all the special animals/pets from all DLCs and base game (Frost, Shadowmere, Meeko, CuSith, Brian, pet rabbits/foxes ) etc. etc.etc

There's no way you could've "beat" Skyrim doing at least all of the above in 2-3 days the way some GTA fanboys beat SP within 48 hours of the game coming out. :lol:

And don't get me started on mods, which add an extensive amount of immersion that was missing in vanilla.  Mods extended the base game life, added even more skill/crafting variety and affect the outcomes of many quests in the game. Like Civil War Overhaul which makes the outcome of the civil war faction quest 100% uncertain.  Modders have added entire new worlds which have added hundreds of hours to the vanilla game.  Kind of hard to be bored when you have access to hundreds of free DLC content on PC.

So IMO, there's really nothing boring about Skyrim (or any sandbox game for that matter).  The game is only limited by the amount of creativity the gamer put into their game play.  So if your style of gaming is to continuously grind with the sole goal of leveling up, then immersion sandbox games like Skyrim really aren't for you.  You're better off playing CoD or WoW TBH.

I'm a huge fan of open world games and I'd have to agree with you. The idea around open world games is part of the fun is what you put into it yourself. whether it's RPing, exploration or whatever. It's as fun as you make it be.

• rohra likes this

mike-commander
  • mike-commander

LSSM- Commissioner

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

GTA V has better exploration imo. The map is blurred from the start, and there are still tons of interesting, fun locations and easter eggs to find. This makes discovery more worthwhile.

Skyrim was an awesome game, don't get me wrong. The open world was huge and beautiful. But everything is known to you from the start. You have the entire map in 3D, and icons of locations are shown on your compass before you even discover them. That turns the game into a walking simulator rather than a true open world game.
  • rohra likes this

vashts1985
  • vashts1985

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:09 AM

I think Skyrim takes the cake on this one.

understatement.

• rohra likes this

Poedersuiker
  • Poedersuiker

Funny Yokel

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:29 AM

GTA has a very detailed world, it looks amazing even in the smallest things. Skyrim is beautifull too, but only the world as a whole.

In terms of exploration, I enjoy gta v more, but that is just my opinion. Dont get me wrong about skyrim.. I mean; Wished that R* could have put that many interiors and side activities as in skyrim. :)

Curious how much fun the world in the new assassins creed game will be!
  • ajrunke and rohra like this

ajrunke
  • ajrunke

I'm on a boat!

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:45 AM Edited by ajrunke, 23 October 2013 - 02:46 AM.

All this talk makes me want to fire up Skyrim again. I haven't played since spring. I also haven't conquered the main story line. Great game. I have 151 hours in Skyrim and I got my fill of it, but now I'm yearning for it in my loins again. GTAV after completing the main story and playing online for a week or so, I must (and hate to) admit that I'm slightly bored with it.

GTA has a very detailed world, it looks amazing even in the smallest things. Skyrim is beautifull too, but only the world as a whole.

In terms of exploration, I enjoy gta v more, but that is just my opinion. Dont get me wrong about skyrim.. I mean; Wished that R* could have put that many interiors and side activities as in skyrim. :)

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to the new AC game. I've only played AC1 and Brotherhood, but this looks amazing.

• rohra likes this

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

Anyone got any comparison screens? :/

• Smaher. likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:56 AM Edited by woggleman, 23 October 2013 - 03:03 AM.

I am just not into that whole fantasy kind of world that Skyrim offers so I would say GTA. I more into modern worlds that look more like real life. Skyrim may be a great game to those who are into that kind of thing but it just isn't for me. 

Honestly fast cars, police chases and robberies appeal to me more than slaying dragons. Just my opinion. Skyrim is great at what it does though.

• rohra likes this

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:24 AM Edited by Vatus, 23 October 2013 - 03:25 AM.

I don't think that's possible. Even if they do it, it would be repetitive designs. In Skyrim you can basically go anywhere. To ppl's houses, castles, shops, farms, cabins and etc. They all have geniune designs to them and all of them are a little different than each other. Some of them have secrets in them.

But GTA is more modern. They have too many buildings to actually design the interior to. It'll be too much work for them, especially on the quality of Bethesda's Skyrim or even Fallout. It's because they have way less buldings, so they can add something different with them all. I think it's way too much for R* to handle in a modern setting. I don't think GTA will ever have that. At best, I think they will make it like GTA 4 or SA where you can enter through "some" buildings.

However, something like Red Dead Redemption, I think they could do it.

• rohra likes this

rohra
  • rohra

ROHRA

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

I Try so hard to be motivated to explore los santos but it's so boring.. i even tried it last night.. the moment i try to go to some particular place.. i loose interest and boot up skyrim instead.. 

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

GTA V has better exploration imo. The map is blurred from the start, and there are still tons of interesting, fun locations and easter eggs to find. This makes discovery more worthwhile.

Skyrim was an awesome game, don't get me wrong. The open world was huge and beautiful. But everything is known to you from the start. You have the entire map in 3D, and icons of locations are shown on your compass before you even discover them. That turns the game into a walking simulator rather than a true open world game.

:blink:

What game were you playing bro?? Did you play on the console? Because as far as I know, a good 98% of the map was pretty much obscured by cloud coverage unless you used the Skyrim reveal roads mod.  All undiscovered locations were blacked out until your char either entered the location (or passed close enough within their vicinity for them to be revealed on the map).

If I hadn't started using that map and road reveal mod midway into the MQ, I'd never have realized Skyrim roads had so much detail to it. Or so many off roads which I'd have end up missing unless my char was trekking through the wilderness. Or the crap load of locations/towns/special locations that were actually on the map :lol:

• rohra likes this

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:52 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 23 October 2013 - 07:03 AM.

I don't think that's possible. Even if they do it, it would be repetitive designs. In Skyrim you can basically go anywhere. To ppl's houses, castles, shops, farms, cabins and etc. They all have geniune designs to them and all of them are a little different than each other. Some of them have secrets in them.

But GTA is more modern. They have too many buildings to actually design the interior to. It'll be too much work for them, especially on the quality of Bethesda's Skyrim or even Fallout. It's because they have way less buldings, so they can add something different with them all. I think it's way too much for R* to handle in a modern setting. I don't think GTA will ever have that. At best, I think they will make it like GTA 4 or SA where you can enter through "some" buildings.

However, something like Red Dead Redemption, I think they could do it.

..yes but R* had OVER 5 YEARS AT MINIMUM to address this major game feature deficiency. And that's not counting any years of development prior to GTA IV release.  -.-

further elaborating: why was it so fricking hard to design at least ONE building interior for every 10 buildings (not including skyscrappers) that they put in the game???  That meager 10% would've opened up the map so much more and added a priceless amount of immersion to the game.  :facedesk:

The way I feel about V now is basically what rohra said.  Because SP was 100% anti-climatic.  I was left with a sense of feeling robbed.  And to date, GTAO only made this dissatisfaction and disappointment worse.    :facedesk:

I'm still holding out hope R* will recover from the rough start to online and start putting out more variety in gaming content.  Because if they don't, then between the tech issues, griefers, and lack of new mission/game content in FM, they could end up loosing a lot of their more sandbox oriented gamers to other games.

• rohra likes this

AnEvilVet
  • AnEvilVet

Bunny

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hey, another cave!  I bet this one is filled with Draugr/Falmer/Bandits/Spiders/Bears and maybe has a word wall but will definitely have a levelled chest.

Hey, another house! It looks very pretty outside, shame I can't go into it or even walk near it without the police being called by a random pedestrian. Time to lose my wanted level again!

Both games are great, both games are also not perfect. If GTA V allowed you to unlock locations in the manner of Skyrim, there would be even less difference.

rohra
  • rohra

ROHRA

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hey, another cave!  I bet this one is filled with Draugr/Falmer/Bandits/Spiders/Bears and maybe has a word wall but will definitely have a levelled chest.

Hey, another house! It looks very pretty outside, shame I can't go into it or even walk near it without the police being called by a random pedestrian. Time to lose my wanted level again!

Both games are great, both games are also not perfect. If GTA V allowed you to unlock locations in the manner of Skyrim, there would be even less difference.

??

GeckoWacko
  • GeckoWacko

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

Skyrim for sure.

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Skyrim Redone + ERSO + ASIS + Skytweak ( and many other Delights ) = 500 Hours of single Player Fun!!

Mods + GTAO sessions + Single Player Session + DLC = GTA V PC Fun

GTAO sessions + 40 Hours of Single Player + DLC = GTA V Limited Console Fun

rohra
  • rohra

ROHRA

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Skyrim Redone + ERSO + ASIS + Skytweak ( and many other Delights ) = 500 Hours of single Player Fun!!

Mods + GTAO sessions + Single Player Session + DLC = GTA V PC Fun

GTAO sessions + 40 Hours of Single Player + DLC = GTA V Limited Console Fun

And your point is that gta 5 is unlimited fun BUT skyrim is only half a thousand hours quality fun..

DANIEL3GS
  • DANIEL3GS

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Both are beautiful. 

ShopToCustomer
  • ShopToCustomer

Ven rápido

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

skyrim easy. its not even close.

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

And your point is that gta 5 is unlimited fun BUT skyrim is only half a thousand hours quality fun..

It's for the player to decide

rohra
  • rohra

ROHRA

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

It's for the player to decide

You usually have to  come to a conclusion after you state 2 un-verified personally made facts...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users