Photo

Exploration - SKYRIM vs GTA 5

77 replies to this topic
rohra
  • rohra

ROHRA

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

As expansive as the terrain has been in GTA titles – and it has been expansive, with reams of terrain to explore – it has always had certain limitations. Looking out at the vast landscape that rolled out before our eyes, there were cities thriving with pedestrians, new save houses waiting to be unlocked, and locations waiting to be explored. However there's something about Skyrim which makes exploration much more interesting. Dynamic Quests and stuff..and just unlimited amount of side quests.. gta 5 seems boring after completing the main story..

• GMAC Webs likes this

GeneralTrumbo
  • GeneralTrumbo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

I think Skyrim takes the cake on this one.

• theGTAking101, rohra and GMAC Webs like this

Victor_Mangano
  • Victor_Mangano

Capo of the Mangano Crime Family

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

I think it is partially based on the player and how imaginative you are. I'm a huge fan of both games/series but I don't find either boring after completing the story. I will say, in GTA V's defense, Skyrim is specifically built as an RPG, thus allowing you to do mundane tasks. GTA V is an open-world action adventure game.

• Jacob-B likes this

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

Skyrim is almost too overwhelming to explore. I've been meaning to go back to it for a while now as I never really got too far, again because the game just feels so overwhelmingly massive.

Most Elder Scrolls games feel that way. And it's not generally a bad thing.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Aaaand here we go again...

I have to disagree. Skyrim definitely has one of the most well realised and highly-explorable environments, that's true. But it's all quite samey - bleak, cold, barren. Even the forested areas are kind of empty. However, it has a huge amount of interior locations to explore, so it does win in that respect.

For me, IMO, personally speaking, etc, GTA V wins it because it's a real world location. It's based on actual places and features lots of little areas to happen upon and look around. They're very varied, ranging from beaches to wilderness to mountains and desert. While there may not be much to do, as in, activities given explicitly by R*, you do have the option of taking any vehicle or vehicles out into these locations and doing what you want with them. 

When the content editors are released for Online, you'll be able to create your own races in any area, and I'm sure it will be possible to add stuff to the terrain for the race track you build - such as adding ramps, etc, to spice things up a bit.

But really, the most important thing when exploring Blaine County and LS is your imagination. If you're running out of things to do... think of more things to do. I've been playing a couple hours a day every day since release, and on some days, upto 8 hours. I've never run out of things to do. I just make up my own activities. Don't let your imagination be the barricade to fun. Make your own fun. 

• Faltskogian and ActionBronson like this

rohra
  • rohra

ROHRA

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Skyrim is almost too overwhelming to explore. I've been meaning to go back to it for a while now as I never really got too far, again because the game just feels so overwhelmingly massive.

Most Elder Scrolls games feel that way. And it's not generally a bad thing.

I've been playing Skyrim since its launch.. its been years now.. I still don't find it boring or anything.. its still got that magic that wonder and amazement.. so beautiful and just the world's so organic.. feel's like you are really in control.. gta 5 seems.. like ..just open land with great draw distance... just isn't there for me.. frustrating that i keep trying to like the game map post the story mode but i end up shutting down the game or even the online for that matter in a matter of minutes.. online takes a huge long time to get started and hobbies etc are boring..tennis yoga...just boring stuff..

• GregorAngus and GMAC Webs like this

rohra
  • rohra

ROHRA

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

Skyrim ? Mundane ?  :blink:

Victor_Mangano
  • Victor_Mangano

Capo of the Mangano Crime Family

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

Don't let your imagination be the barricade to fun. Make your own fun. 

I couldn't agree more with this. This is the whole concept of open world games, obviously GTA V included. The game doesn't end after the story as there are plenty of toys and ideas for you to play with...if you choose to do so. I feel some people have a hard time grasping the idea of open world games.

morphpogo
  • morphpogo

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

Without reading what the others wrote. I personally still have loads of fun with this game in Singleplayer. Even after 2 playthroughs, and one of them a 100% game. I have so far spent way more time in GTA V than in Skyrim. The GTA V world is just filled with so many things to discover and so many details. Whereas in Skyrim I feel that everything pretty much looks the same everywhere and there is not really much to discover, as the land size is also rather small. So for the exploration part, I really prefer GTA V, especially because it also has loads of underwater stuff to explore.

But don't get me wrong, Skyrim is a great game and is perfect for roleplaying, I enjoyed it.

AlmightyHabbib
  • AlmightyHabbib

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:44 AM Edited by AlmightyHabbib, 18 October 2013 - 11:46 AM.

Although I haven't played GTAV myself, but I watched a lot of hours of gameplay, free-roam, story, messing around, side-quest you name it. But Skyrim is a clear winner here, because one of the main pillars of the gameplay is exploration in Skyrim, and only that way you find the most interesting content the game has to offer. Even though the world of Skyrim is definitely smaller, it has so much more interesting things in it, tons of caves and dungeons, forts, towns, "cities", even exterior locations are more varied and interesting, you got the dragon sights, bandit camps, orc camps, nature sites, other places of interest, big snowy mountains, pine forests, autumn forests, tundras, swamps, snow lands, ice lands, hot springs, Skyrim was built for exploration, there are always somewhere to go, some interior or exterior place and there is always something to find there, the exporation in TES is always encouraged by side-quests, misc objectives, even through townsfolk rumors and word of mouth, GTAV doesn't do that much to encourage exploration.

• rohra likes this

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

I find Skyrim to be rather repetative and boring, but to each his own

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:37 AM

I think this is a bit of a unfair comparison.

Skyrim is an open world rpg where you can talk to random ppl and have a conversation with most of them. They feel like they have their own personalities and the never ending raidant quest and the many random evnets that happen. You'll run into a random dungeon, and some (if not most of them) of them have a story to them. The books that you can read to find out the lore, some unique weapons you'll find in dungeons, and spells you could possibly find too.

It's just too massive just like all of the TES games. Each Elder Scrolls have some uniquness to them. Not to mention the modding community that gives you constantly new content if you're on the PC. And unlike GTA games, you could go to almost all the interior buildings. It's just too overwhelming for any GTA game ever prodoced yet.

• GMAC Webs likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:42 AM Edited by brootalperry, 19 October 2013 - 02:52 AM.

I have to disagree. Skyrim definitely has one of the most well realised and highly-explorable environments, that's true. But it's all quite samey - bleak, cold, barren. Even the forested areas are kind of empty. However, it has a huge amount of interior locations to explore, so it does win in that respect.

Maybe it's done that way on purpose? Lmao.

Skyrim is the coldest location on Tamriel. Do you expect it to be warm, grassy, with lush trees, tropical rain forests and rainbows?

The entire tone of the game itself reflects the land it's set in. The story isn't exactly a happy one either. 

It's called atmosphere. And Skyrim does it right. 

Plus, I'm sure you've seen plenty of Skyrim mods by now. Especially the ENB ones.

There's a group of modders that are modeling all of Tamriel into Skyrim. Every province. 

Like GTA, The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games shine best on PC because of the mods.

• PkUnzipper and 727gta like this

Echolex
  • Echolex

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

It's a little weird to compare these two games with that isn't it?

If you want to be a hero of time who slays dragons (among other things) in his sleep, there is a game for you

If you want to shooty people drive fast kill things but also dive with sharks and play tennis, there is also a game for you

Spoiler

Chriss0906
  • Chriss0906

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:31 AM

LOOK. im the hugest fan of GTAV and its one if not the best game ive ever played. and i have 3 favorite franchises 

GRAND THEFT AUTO

THE ELDER SCROLLS

METAL GEAR SOLID

each game its unique on its own. but i have to say that when it comes to exploration SKYRIM its the best. it feels so magical just walking around with the amazing soundtrack, and finding people and just talk to them like in real life. oh and dont get me started with the MODS. its like a whole new game with PC mods. 

i have it on my PC running with the best mods on nexus. the best texture overhauls and the best ENB. and i am telling you. it looks even better than GTAV or BATTLEFIELD 3. its simply one of the best experiences in gaming ive ever had.

• rohra likes this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

Maxios
  • Maxios

Nerd

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

As a huge fan of Bethesda games, and the GTA series, I have to go with V. Skyrim's world was really boring for me to explore. All of the locations weren't even hard to discover, they were pushed into your face.

Bat1
  • Bat1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

f*cking delicious apple vs. f*cking delicious orange.  

• RowanSane likes this

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

HD San Andreas=Beauty

Skyrim=Adventure

iKevhawk
  • iKevhawk

Street Racer

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:10 AM Edited by iKevhawk, 19 October 2013 - 07:11 AM.

I love the Elder Scrolls a lot, and it definitely has better exploration. GTA V feels like all they did for the most part was design a city, and put a bunch of mountains next to it that you can't do a whole lot with.

However, the constant dragons in Skyrim is so damn annoying. As soon as I walk outside I get a dragon. Every single time.

Yeah because comparing an open world sandbox game to an open world sandbox game is like comparing apples to oranges.

Does not compute bro.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:11 AM Edited by DeafMetal, 19 October 2013 - 07:17 AM.

It's kinda stupid to compare the two. Skyrim is gonna win based on the fact that it's a FPS RPG. You ever try the FPS mod for GTA IV? The game feels leaps and bounds more immersive that way, which makes exploring things more personal. It's also an RPG, which means that people will talk to you and sh*t. You can kill them but they may not come back. GTA V, there's not too many unique NPCs simply because of the fact that the game world was built to be destroyed by the player. It would suck to run over Trevor in free roam and not be able to use him anymore. It also helps that the player movement in Skyrim is awfully slow, thus giving the player more time to appreciate the scenery.

Anyway, Skyrim wins exploration hands-down because of the type of game it is. If you wanna compare lasting appeal, overall fun, and technical advancements, then we can talk.

LOOK. im the hugest fan of GTAV and its one if not the best game ive ever played. and i have 3 favorite franchises 

GRAND THEFT AUTO

THE ELDER SCROLLS

METAL GEAR SOLID

We need to get married and procreate, now.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

For me, IMO, personally speaking, etc, GTA V wins it because it's a real world location. It's based on actual places and features lots of little areas to happen upon and look around. They're very varied, ranging from beaches to wilderness to mountains and desert. While there may not be much to do, as in, activities given explicitly by R*, you do have the option of taking any vehicle or vehicles out into these locations and doing what you want with them. 

When the content editors are released for Online, you'll be able to create your own races in any area, and I'm sure it will be possible to add stuff to the terrain for the race track you build - such as adding ramps, etc, to spice things up a bit.

But really, the most important thing when exploring Blaine County and LS is your imagination. If you're running out of things to do... think of more things to do. I've been playing a couple hours a day every day since release, and on some days, upto 8 hours. I've never run out of things to do. I just make up my own activities. Don't let your imagination be the barricade to fun. Make your own fun. 

:blink:

What platform did you play on??? It must have been console, because I've always played TES on the PC.  I have some 250+ mods on my rig. Half of these are environmental, NPC, and texture overhaul/realism immersion mods which blow ENB graphics out the water.

Then there are MQ overhaul mods like Civil War Overhaul, Immersion Patrols, and Tundra Defense.  Trying to venture out on the roads of Skyrim -- even if you cheat and try to use an overpowered char---has never been deadlier with those 3 mods alone.  Excellent immersion mods like Chesko's Frostfall will have your limbs falling off from frostbite if you don't carry the appropriate gear when venturing in the northern regions. Tired of the bleak, cold cannon landscape? Use the tropical skyrim mod.  Tired of seeing all the women look like hag ravens? Use CBBE mod. Want a brothel and/or the freakish pleasure of watching your char have cyber sex with any NPC in Skyrim? Install the Advanced Prostitution or Bathing Beauty Suite. Then there is numerous animal wildlife and flora overhauls.

Climates of Tamriel mod forces your char to protect themselves from the elements like rain/hail and especially lightning strikes which can kill them.

There are crafting mods which let you be whatever the hell you want to be in Skyrim.  Want to be a hunter between killing dragons/vamps etc? Install a wildlife mod which improves wildlife AI and/or more deadly predators like saber cats. How about being a humble farmer or merchant? Or just a gigolo who goes around Skyrim shagging just about everything they see with the Advanced Prostituion mod etc.

The rest of them add 100s of hours of FREE, NEW game play in extra quests and entire game worlds with new quests (like ThirteenOragnes work)

The rest of those mods improve the immersion factor.  Stuff like Private Needs mod which allows my char to urinate, take baths both in and outside, hunt and dress animals RDR style, cook hundreds of recipies for hunger and potions, craft all kinds of lore friendly mod weapons, die from cold, hunger, battle wounds (if bandages/healing potions/visiting healers aren't used), have magicka and combat skills suffer from battle fatigue, or sleep depravation and other motives etc. etc.

I even added the multiple adoptions mod which allowed my Nord Stormcloak to have his own Brady Bunch after getting married. All while being an absentee dad while saving Skyrim as the Dragonborn/Vamp lord/Werewolf/Theif and Dark Brotherhood Guild Masters. :lol:  

I never completed the MQ in the 2 years Skyrim has been out, because I kept having to restart the game due to each major mod (like Civil War Overhaul) which I added to the game. Everytime I made the mistake of visiting the Workshop on Steam, or Nexus, I'd end up installing a couple more mods.  At this rate, I seriously doubt if I'll have the MQ (or any of the side/faction quests) completed by the time Beth gets around to putting TES Online. :lol:

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

Verdict: SKYRIM hands down.  For having a superior interactive game world, variety of things to do, and tons of immersive game content.  If GTA 5 had at least 50% of the interactive content and mini games/activities that SA did, then it might have given Skyrim a run for it's money.....

Even though Skyrim isn't exactly an action shooter, it beats GTA V hands down in terms of depth of content/game play, main story, side quests. Plus the fact TES has a deep and rich history that spans some 18 years real time.  And yeah, the ability to add your own creative content for others to enjoy shortly after game launch was a huge bonus. Because it kept the fan base interest at a high level.

And ultimately, Skyrim wins because it gives you the ability to enjoy your game without having to suffer through an undesirable game experience filled with griefers.

It's all that FREE modded sandbox content on Steam and Nexus which caused Skyrim (and TES in general) to be the phenomenal success it's been for the last 18 years.  Something that I fear R* has lost vision and/or faith now that they've decided to jump ship for MMO/micropurchase game play.  So Beth has a LOT to thank it's TES fan base for, because it was the fan base which created over 10k mods on Steam. Which in turn, extended the shelf life of Skyrim long after the main quest (and tons of other side/faction etc quests were completed).

Bottom line: like TES, the original GTA series were creative, open sandboxes.  Tons of stuff still left to do after the MQ was completed. Even more if you were on PC due to mods. IMO SA was the last gta game in which this was true.  By GTA 4, the game had become deadly serious and lost a lot of its spontenaeity.  TBoGT brought some of that back, but not enough to make you want to addictively replay the game.  Despite the beautiful open world on both land and water, SP for GTA 5 failed to live up to the hype.  And so far, online still has a lot left to be desired. Overall, I feel this generation of the franchise has taken a step backward. Especially now that R* appears to have lost its soul to online micro-transactions. 

• latigreblue and rohra like this

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

I love the Elder Scrolls a lot, and it definitely has better exploration. GTA V feels like all they did for the most part was design a city, and put a bunch of mountains next to it that you can't do a whole lot with.

However, the constant dragons in Skyrim is so damn annoying. As soon as I walk outside I get a dragon. Every single time.

Yeah because comparing an open world sandbox game to an open world sandbox game is like comparing apples to oranges.

Does not compute bro.

You're both wrong. It's like comparing Strawberry to Blueberry.

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

It could have been much better if HD SA's countryside had things to do.

Like hidden packages, animal hunting(as a free-roam activity and not a side-mission), etc.

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:09 AM Edited by ShinobiFixer, 19 October 2013 - 10:18 AM.

I love how GTA V is getting compared to Skyrim.  This is the direction R* should take, the RPG route.  Skyrim wins the exploration debate for me because there are unique NPC's that you can decide whether to kill or not and they will never come back as a result.  That was true freedom for me.  Even in New Vegas, the best Fallout there is even with the framerate issues.

In Skyrim or Fallout, you can explore and find unique items or weapons or books or computers that tell stories and lore.  GTA V does have an online component, but the words are too small for me to even read. Can't zoom in or anything because my T.V. isn't high definition.  Plus they had complete and total customization that made every player unique as their own.  Each with their own special abilities, perks, and what not.  Here once everyone reaches 100, everyone will have the same sh*t without giving us the choice of what we could specialize in.

Anyways, GTA Online needs more RPG elements period.  

I wanted to specialize in stealth in GTA Online, but the gameplay just isn't there.  R* has a lot to learn from Bethesda and Obsidian.  They need to learn that making choices and decisions are huge RPG elements.  Something the Walking Dead game did right, but not in an open world.

magik110
  • magik110

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

When talking specifically about exploration, gotta go with skyrim. with every single building being enterable, its ridiculous not only the scale of the game, but the depth of the exploration as well.

God Of GTAO
  • God Of GTAO

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

Sorry but im just going to say what a lot of critics are afraid to say. Skyrim is not a good game.

• ActionBronson likes this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Skyrim is awesome to explore. GTA V is beautiful but exploration is nowhere to the amount and scale Skyrim offers.
By adding some mods you could make Skyrim at par even Morrowind or Oblivion offer more density in the small world compared to big empty map of V.
and I do feel sad to admit the same above.

rohra
  • rohra

ROHRA

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

GRAND THEFT AUTO

THE ELDER SCROLLS

METAL GEAR SOLID

each game its unique on its own. but i have to say that when it comes to exploration SKYRIM its the best. it feels so magical just walking around with the amazing soundtrack, and finding people and just talk to them like in real life. oh and dont get me started with the MODS. its like a whole new game with PC mods. 

i have it on my PC running with the best mods on nexus. the best texture overhauls and the best ENB. and i am telling you. it looks even better than GTAV or BATTLEFIELD 3. its simply one of the best experiences in gaming ive ever had.

Exactly how i feel.. the beautiful music (secunda,frostfall) playing while you walk on foot across the different terrains mountains etc and speak with NPC's and discover the deep and rich story unfolding.. it's the best gaming experience..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users