» «
Photo

I really do wonder about todays kids.

201 replies to this topic
tigo132
  • tigo132

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:13 PM Edited by tigo132, 19 October 2013 - 11:26 PM.

The majority of American children/teenagers DO act like this.

I'd say the minority, I'm not American therefore I can not talk for Americans but I doubt that it's the majority. From where I'm from it is not.

Where are you from? I'm speaking as part of the American "Millennial" generation.

England sir. :)

Huh. It might just be because we're better than you.

Just kidding.

;).

I'm not disrespectful in any means but I don't appreciate it when a person from an older generation tries to lecture me on how hard their life was quote on quote back in the day.. it does my head in..

Ok..so tell me how he's wrong.  Tell me more about how your life is in any way as hard as his growing up.  What's your biggest worry, losing your iPhone charger?

Um, becoming homeless again, my mom's drug addiction, not getting into a decent college/tuition prices going up, the economy completely collapsing before I have a chance to "grow up", the government completely f*cking us over, etc.

This generalization of this generation is stupid. I mean, the past was way better right? I mean, dropping insane amounts of acid in the 60's/70's was real productive right? I'll admit some of this generation are jackasses, and we've gotten "liberal" about some things, but isn't that the case all around history?

It's nothing new. If anything, blame the past generations for raising the new ones, not the kids themselves. The way my mom raised me was that if i did ANYTHING bad, she'd whoop my ass, and as much as i hated it/hate to admit it, it did have a positive effect, and it kept me out of trouble. 

Mate, there are still A LOT of parents whom punish their kids for bad behavior, maybe not with violents, but someway or another they get punished. So don´t act like your generations was the only one that got a punishment for bad behavior. 

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:19 PM

I don't know about behavior, but you were certainly not punished for bad grammar.

tigo132
  • tigo132

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

I don't know about behavior, but you were certainly not punished for bad grammar.

A grammar nazi, how mature. 

But i´ll tell you this. English is not my main language. But please tell me what I did wrong so you wont have to look at it if it disturbs you Mr. Moderator....

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:40 PM Edited by The Odyssey, 20 October 2013 - 12:41 PM.

This is sad, a grown, 50 year old man venting out his anger against the "youff of today" on the internet. Get lost pal. Seems like this guy is feeling envious because he's never had the chance to enjoy all the luxuries and items we "youff" have access to today when he was young. You had no TV, an actual working bathroom and computers. Big whoop, cry me a f*cking river. Just because you didn't have all of those plus more doesn't mean you go on an online forum and rant about how people have all those things and are spoiled just by having them. I have a multitude of high-tech, technological items, but I prioritize my academic and social life before all of these things because I'm smart enough to do so. You're just another one of those sour geezers who have the misconception that every teenager in this generation is spoiled and bratty.

I'm sure that within the next 40-50 years, all the young from our generation will be old geezers too, and they'll rant about how the next generation is spoiled and bratty as well. The cycle moves on, the assholes will thrive. That's how society works. Deal with it.

Took the words straight out of my mouth mate.

The reason why this generation is more frowned upon than the previous ones is because of the internet, where people can express their opinions all over the globe.

If the internet existed in the 90's then golly gee it would get just as much hate as today.

Irviding
  • Irviding

Sing, Sing, Sing - With a Swing??

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

As mentioned this has been going on for eternity. Pretty soon, 10-15 years from now when people this forum's age range (excluding V forum) 16-27.. we'll all be saying the same sh*t about the generation below us. My grandfather was a naval officer during WW2, Korea, and Vietnam and he told me he was devestated his kids were just too young to go to Vietnam. He said they'd be a failed generation, etc. the examples go on and on, but there's one common thread - it doesn't end.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

As mentioned this has been going on for eternity. Pretty soon, 10-15 years from now when people this forum's age range (excluding V forum) 16-27.. we'll all be saying the same sh*t about the generation below us. My grandfather was a naval officer during WW2, Korea, and Vietnam and he told me he was devestated his kids were just too young to go to Vietnam. He said they'd be a failed generation, etc. the examples go on and on, but there's one common thread - it doesn't end.

In 10-15 years? Damn I'm saying some of that stuff now and I'm 18.

MeatSafeMurderer
  • MeatSafeMurderer

Avoiding GTA Online at all costs until the grand payout rebuffs.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thats because, despite their claims, our generation is f*cked...noone has any respect anymore. We live in an age where gang culture is prevalent. If you don't look exactly the same as everyone else you must be gay and/or a p***y. As for instant gratification...well the jokes on them. Let them have their glitches and cash cards, let them have their 10 supercar garages at level 5...because in a month or two they will all get bored and go play CoD, leaving us to enjoy GTA Online the way it was meant to be...and it'll be incredibly rewarding :D

Irviding
  • Irviding

Sing, Sing, Sing - With a Swing??

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

Thats because, despite their claims, our generation is f*cked...noone has any respect anymore. We live in an age where gang culture is prevalent. If you don't look exactly the same as everyone else you must be gay and/or a p***y. As for instant gratification...well the jokes on them. Let them have their glitches and cash cards, let them have their 10 supercar garages at level 5...because in a month or two they will all get bored and go play CoD, leaving us to enjoy GTA Online the way it was meant to be...and it'll be incredibly rewarding :D

Gang culture was more prevalent in the 80s and early-mid 90s than it was today. At least the glamorization of it.

MeatSafeMurderer
  • MeatSafeMurderer

Avoiding GTA Online at all costs until the grand payout rebuffs.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

Gang culture was more prevalent in the 80s and early-mid 90s than it was today. At least the glamorization of it.

Here in the UK we have vast quantities of gobby little knobsh*tes dressed in hoodies, tracksuits etc, loitering and looking for trouble. That entire style comes from "the hood"...and they try to talk like they're from the hood too...some of them are as young as 10 or 11. Unfortunately they make up a substantial portion of the UK's population...welcome to chavs...I'm sure there are similar everywhere

Jinkla
  • Jinkla

Casablanket

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:25 AM Edited by Jinkla, 23 October 2013 - 08:27 AM.

Oh god, why am I here? I knew what this thread would be about beforehand, and i strictly told myself not go in and write a reply. And yet here I am doing it.

Honestly, a lot of you guys speak with the zealous of an old army colonel who spends each minute of his sons effeminate childhood 'beating the queer' out of him. only to later be discovered with a shotgun blast to the back of the throat, and a picture of his old army buds in their speedos.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

Oh god, why am I here? I knew what this thread would be about beforehand, and i strictly told myself not go in and write a reply. And yet here I am doing it.
Honestly, a lot of you guys speak with the zealous of an old army colonel who spends each minute of his sons effeminate childhood 'beating the queer' out of him. only to later be discovered with a shotgun blast to the back of the throat, and a picture of his old army buds in their speedos.

Wasn't that from American Beauty lol...?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

Sorry MeatSafeMurderer (I like the Monkey Dust reference) but Ivirding is spot on here. The tabloidesque claims that this country has gone to hell are pretty spurious to anyone who actually spent enough time living in the 1990s to remember it. As for a lack of respect amongst the youth, that'd hardly a modern complaint. It is in no measurable way worse now than at any other time in modern history. In fact, if you use both youth crime and perceptions of crime rates as your metric for assessing the condition of the young'uns these days, the only rational conclusion that can be drawn is that aside from a very small but criminally active element of the population, the issue has actually improved dramatically.

But "youth crime not that big of a deal" doesn't sell papers, whether it's the Mail blaming immigrants, the Guardian blaming the rich, the Telegraph blaming the poor and the Express blaming those bastatds who murdered Dianna, they all benefit from perpetuating the lie.

Jinkla
  • Jinkla

Casablanket

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Wasn't that from American Beauty lol...?

It was the best example.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Its the Social Media Generation

They are complete dickheads, All they think about is Batman,tweetbook and listen to there garbage dubstep

They cant walk two steps with out looking at there sh*tty smart phones

They post about there sad daily activity's on the interweb and think people care

They are the reason games are so dumbed down now,BIG button icons appear on games even when its a simple thing as opening a door

Pea-brain kids of today

This is so untrue.

I am 13 years old and I barely use smart phones. I don't think of batman, I don't have twitter or facebook, I don't listen to dubstep.

My friends don't do this either, true some of them do have Facebook but they aren't those type of nerdy guys you speak of. 

As a 13 year old, my interests are mainly around writing, reading books, playing PC games, watching movies and listening to music. I like to listen to rock music, metal, 90's rap, 80's music, Michael Jackson etc. I like to watch pretty much any movie, some of my favorites would be The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, The Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, Inception, Terminator etc. I am not those kids who scream in their mic while playing Multi-player (I barely play MP)

You remind me of myself. I am not a stereotypical teenager neither, as I posted a bit before you did.

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

Surely a 53 year old would know basic grammar and spelling.

LateNightNeons
  • LateNightNeons

Trick

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

Honestly, the only "bad" thing that characterizes the young generation compare to when we were kids is that they generally have the "fast food" mentality and they complain a lot, not just in gaming, but in general.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:12 AM Edited by Fireman, 28 October 2013 - 10:15 AM.

You know why old people (and this idiot above) are so funny when complaining?

Because they complain about something they know absolutely nothing about and they consider themselves special at every opportunity they get.

Old man rant:

MAN I WORKED SO HARD, BUT YOU ALL DIDNT AND NOBODY WILL EVER WORK AS HARD AS ME AGAIN, YOU GOTTA BELIEVE ME GUYS, THEY CALL ME MR. HARDWORK BACK IN THE DAYS, BECAUSE I WORKED SO HARD. MY LIFE WAS SO TOUGH I ONLY GOT 3 MEALS A DAY INSTEAD OF 3 MEALS AND SNACKS.

ALSO PEOPLE WHO ARE YOUNG AND SAY THEY READ/WRITE ARE LIARS. OF THE 2 PEOPLE I KNOW BELOW THE AGE OF 20, NONE OF THEM WRITE OR READ, SO YOU CAN'T EITHER. ALL OF YOU, NONE EXCLUDED, ONLY THINK ABOUT GAMING AND SMARTPHONES AND NONE OF YOU EVER GO TO BARS OR TALK TO PEOPLE, BECAUSE I HATE MY LIFE.

Googz
  • Googz

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:20 PM Edited by Googz, 07 November 2013 - 02:23 PM.

A few BG tips for you kids before you step into the REAL WORLD:

1. Life is not fair - get used to it!

2. The world wont care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

3. You will NOT make 150k a year right out of high school. 

4. If you think your teacher is tough, wait until you get a boss.

5. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

6. If you mess up, its not your parents fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them

7. Before you were born, your parents werent as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about cool you thought you were. 

8. Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the answer right. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

9. Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time...

10. Be nice to nerds. Chances are you will end up working for one!

• Frank Brown likes this

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

That's what happens when everything is handed to you on a silver platter. You become spoiled.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

The majority of American children/teenagers DO act like this.

I'd say the minority, I'm not American therefore I can not talk for Americans but I doubt that it's the majority. From where I'm from it is not.

Where are you from? I'm speaking as part of the American "Millennial" generation.
England sir. :)

Huh. It might just be because we're better than you.

Just kidding.
;).

I'm not disrespectful in any means but I don't appreciate it when a person from an older generation tries to lecture me on how hard their life was quote on quote back in the day.. it does my head in..

Ok..so tell me how he's wrong.  Tell me more about how your life is in any way as hard as his growing up.  What's your biggest worry, losing your iPhone charger?
People like you should just refrain from posting because everything you type is some dumb, utter bullsh*t.

Saint.
  • Saint.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

I'll never get this argument of the newer generations being messed up.

People seem to forget that society and the world is constantly growing. Something that might seem stupid to you years ago might be perfectly normal for the others. That is what happens if you grew up in a different time. It's normal to think that some things that people do today are stupid.

Just grasp the fact that the world is constantly growing. I'm not saying some of the things people do these days are right(previously mentioned,crying about losing your phones charger),but why would anyone make a big fuss out of it and blame a certain generation?

Again,there are always going to be economical problems. In the past,and now. It's not that easy to get a well paying job even with qualifications these days. Just like how it wasn't easy to get any job that pays a decent amount back then. The difference? A light paying job would only get you so far in this rapidly growing economy. And as long as you had a job that pays you back then,you could at least live a decent life. I'm not saying it was easy to get a job back then too. and I certainly do agree that jobs back then might have been more stressful. I'm simply just trying to correlate the few issues faced back and forth from both "generations".

In short,just learn to adapt :).

All of this is coming from me,someone who's growing up in said generation of today. Hopefully I'm not the only one thinking of it this way.

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

It's time to nap, grandpa.

Oh yeah,i forgot.........................RESPECT!

They dont have a clue what it REALLY means.Ok i AM old enough to be your Grandpa,but i tell you what you dont know.

I fought for My Country,willingly i gave up my 20's and 30's in the Service of My Country.But then all you would see of me if you met me,is a fat bearded old fart of 53.who is occaisionally Grumpy,but then you see,i do feel that i have EARNED the right to be a Grumpy Old Fart.I have Given to My Country the most precious thing i had.................my Youth and i would do it all over again!
thanks for your service, joining the military was always one thing I wanted to do but I would never pass medical review

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users