Photo

Catchup is one of the most annoying settings in the game

65 replies to this topic
Mugetsu
  • Mugetsu

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

cause its not real thats why... annnd uhh this isnt forza or all the other racing games out there 

soldat89
  • soldat89

Peon

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

I don't do races any more in general.  They're a big f*cking joke all round.

Every retard thinks the way to win is to smash everyone else off the road.

Unfortunately it works a lot of the time tho :/ guilty as charged

BigVenis
  • BigVenis

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

I Understand not everybody is great at races on this, I'm one of them but when im heading towards the race line to win n some 12 year old flys past me and rams me into a wall is annoying because it slows him down but he has the momentum 

god84
  • god84

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

I can't recall how many times I shouldve won a race but catchup screwed me out of it. Il be loosing to guys who've crashed 2 times in the race while I hadn't once, even with me in 1st place all game. Why did Rockstar put this in the game?? You never see the person in 1st place in real life races to slow down. So why put the unrealistic dumb sh*t on gta?? It makes trying to get a lead totally irrelevant.

They um, why dont you host races and turn it off?! sweet jesus theres some mongs on this game!

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

I understand why catchup is in the game as its to level the playing field so everyone has a chance of winning. In IV if you played racing more than any other game mode you got pretty good at it and after a while winning races where fairly easy about 90% of the time. Thats why i believe that hey added catchup this time around. I still dont like it though in my opinion, but if the host has it on then you can either just put up wih it or go and host your own race and turn it off.

oG-DaLLaS
  • oG-DaLLaS

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

I can't recall how many times I shouldve won a race but catchup screwed me out of it. Il be loosing to guys who've crashed 2 times in the race while I hadn't once, even with me in 1st place all game. Why did Rockstar put this in the game?? You never see the person in 1st place in real life races to slow down. So why put the unrealistic dumb sh*t on gta?? It makes trying to get a lead totally irrelevant.

They um, why dont you host races and turn it off?! sweet jesus theres some mongs on this game!
No duh dumbf*ck. Sometimes people just dont join

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:19 PM Edited by AzraelX, 17 October 2013 - 02:20 PM.

I don't mind catchup being in the game, the more options the better. The problem is that it's turned on by default, and most hosts don't care enough to change the settings. If they would just make it off by default, it'd be so much easier to find races that have it off. As it stands, I usually end up just hosting myself (which makes the racing process a lot more time consuming than it should be).

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

I don't get R*.

They give sh*t players who can't aim AUTO AIM....  Which is set to default.   Now, in gta v they make 'CATCH UP' a default option too.

Why?    Why does R* have such a boner for bad players?...lol

On a side note.  Races are also ruined by farmers grinding short lap tracks over and over.  Traffic which lags all over the place and causes pointless crashes in races.  And easy to wipe out cars. 

I still enjoy it but races should be set to no traffic, no catch up with better traction for cars.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

I don't get R*.

They give sh*t players who can't aim AUTO AIM....  Which is set to default.   Now, in gta v they make 'CATCH UP' a default option too.

I think it is quite simply really as R* want as many people to continue to play this game as long as possible. Alot of GTA players are young people (who techinacally) shouldn't be playing the game and have no desire to use free aim etc and become a better player, they want everything to be handed to them so its much easier, and to make it much more fun for them to play the game.

Plus that just doesn't apply to young kids but to the casual gamer who only plays GTA a couple of times a month etc.

Zenzic
  • Zenzic

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

The catchup effect should decrease gradually as the race progresses. It would give all players a chance to recover from the rugby going on at the start and the better racers would be able to stay in front towards the end.

adra12
  • adra12

Orange and Maroon VT

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

I don't get R*.

On a side note.  Races are also ruined by farmers grinding short lap tracks over and over.  Traffic which lags all over the place and causes pointless crashes in races.  And easy to wipe out cars. 

I still enjoy it but races should be set to no traffic, no catch up with better traction for cars.

It's not a real street race without traffic.

Also GTA is and has always been about having fun, and knowing there is no point in continuing to race because 5 of the 6 racers were taken out in the open seconds of the race by one of those 5 basically makes the race pointless without slipstream and catchup and that is not fun.

Races don't have to be all out winning... I gave up second place in a GTA bike race the other day to try and watch myself grenade my friend who was 5 seconds behind me in third. My nade missed, his momentum passed my stopped bike and he took second got a 300 rp and 2k for it, but I had a goo laugh at him freaking out trying to avoid the nade. In retrospect I should have used a sticky bomb that I could set off manually when he was in range, I will do that next time.

robbo216
  • robbo216

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

I personally think it's ok, because you can catch up to the dicks who ram you off the road

Those c*nts wouldn't be able to ram me if they didn't get a ridiculous boost from slipstream and catchup. Its f*cking ridiculous i tell you.

Its a good thing we have online multiplayer nowadays. I cannot imagine what I'll do i was playing local multiplayer with gay fags ramming me. They'll most likely end up in the hospital.

You sound really tough... on an online forum.

Epi
  • Epi

might be a girl in rl

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

if you cant handle catch up you prob really suck...

maby look behind a bit more.... 

also catch up DOES NOT work if you're in the top 3 posistion

so you're prob getting f-ed in the b by slipstream wich is kinda realistic dont drive a straight line when you know someone is behind you, again more focus on your surroundings/back 

its so easy to 180turn a car that wants to pass....

but he im prob one of the kids you talk about that find it funny to turn your cars or bump you out of the turn when you take the outsidelane... i play gta not forza or a real racing game

danowat
  • danowat

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

Wrong.

egoloss
  • egoloss

Adam Santos

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

Makes it more fun and enjoyable. 

Go play Gran Turismo  if you want realism.

archiebunker
  • archiebunker

Working Class Hero

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

but he im prob one of the kids you talk about that find it funny to turn your cars or bump you out of the turn when you take the outsidelane... i play gta not forza or a real racing game

There's this nifty mode called "GTA Race" you should try.

GodlessLiberal83
  • GodlessLiberal83

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:08 PM Edited by GodlessLiberal83, 17 October 2013 - 03:09 PM.

It's costed me a handful of wins but it's never really bothered me.  All cons and pros I guess.  Seems most races I've been in without catchup, as soon as someone wrecks, you can expect to start playing dogeball with them going backwards from that point on. 

But I understand the arguement from both sides. 

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

If you are racing to have fun then catch up should be on so that's likely why it is the default.  The races are much more fun with it on because you are challenged by the other racers more often.  If you have good driving skills, this shouldn't affect you that much.

If you are having a serious competitive race then it should be off.  I think it should really only be off if you are playing with a group of people you know.  It doesn't make sense turning it off with casual random racers.

You win some, you loose some.  Chill out dude.  Host your own races if you are that upset over it.

GH05TF4CE
  • GH05TF4CE

I love lamp

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

I tend to host races with catch-up turned off. It's a bollocks feature that turns a race into a never-ending destruction derby. I don't mind slipstreaming though.

odiedodi2
  • odiedodi2

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Even when it's turned off, you can slipstream still.

Slip streaming alone takes all of the fun out of races. I mean, the problem is that without it, the winner of a race will always be the guy that starts in first, assuming that all racers are of equal skill and have equal vehicles, and that the guy in first doesn't derp up and wreck or lose control. At the same time, with slip streaming you might as well stay in second all the way up to the end of the race and then just slip stream by the guy in first, because that's how I generally lose races. In a car you can at least attempt to block them from stripstreaming by you to the finish line, but on a bike they'll just zoom by you at the last second and there's not much you can do to stop them.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:25 PM Edited by Chukkles, 17 October 2013 - 03:29 PM.

Even when it's turned off, you can slipstream still.

Yeah, slipstreaming is legit.
Having the lead players engine restricted mid race is bullsh*t.

Know the difference.

R* have made the prizes worth staying in for.
In IV you'd get nothing for 4th place alot of the time, here a grand or two is so much better than nothing.
They don't need catchup to keep players interested.
Players who use catchup may as well just not race.

DrGreenThumb_NZ
  • DrGreenThumb_NZ

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Catch up mode sucks , and the noobs only want to play two lame tracks over and over... No one ever wants to do sea or plane races either

Stupid kids

DrDerp
  • DrDerp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Sure it can be annoying sometimes, but this isn't Gran Turismo.  What's really annoying are GTA races where your tires get shot out every 5 seconds.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

I don't get R*.

It's not a real street race without traffic.

Im not buying that.

Traffic mostly just pops up form no where and usually causes major problems for the players in back.

I mean, in a 4 player race sure... Its alright.  But add 8 or more and that's more then enough 'traffic' with players.  With 16 players traffic is just pointless and laggy.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

I don't get R*.

I think it is quite simply really as R* want as many people to continue to play this game as long as possible. Alot of GTA players are young people (who techinacally) shouldn't be playing the game and have no desire to use free aim etc and become a better player, they want everything to be handed to them so its much easier, and to make it much more fun for them to play the game.

Plus that just doesn't apply to young kids but to the casual gamer who only plays GTA a couple of times a month etc.

So dumbing the game down just enough to cater to really, really, really bad players who don't care to learn how to play is a good thing?

Notice I said BAD and not casual,  being casual is no excuse for not learning how to play.

Its kind of sad that R* makes these amazing games and then ruins it with noob settings.  Just sayin'.

Just because someone turned on their console does not mean he should be total SUPER AWESOME!

robbo216
  • robbo216

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

if you cant handle catch up you prob really suck...

maby look behind a bit more.... 

so you're prob getting f-ed in the b by slipstream wich is kinda realistic dont drive a straight line when you know someone is behind you, again more focus on your surroundings/back 

its so easy to 180turn a car that wants to pass....

There's always 1 "pro" in these kinds of threads that talk nonsense to make them sound better than everybody else.

A lot of people in this thread are clearly on about when they're WAY in front of anyone else, so your whole slipstream reasoning is pointless as you can't slipstream if you're 3 corners behind somebody. Just so you know, the slipstreaming in GTA is definitely not 'kinda realistic', but that is neither here nor there.

You're obviously right about not driving in a straight line if someone is on your tail, but a lot of the time the most ridiculous part is how somebody came from so far behind to get on your tail in the first place. Even still, it is never tricky to pass somebody with catchup on even if you aren't using their slipstream.

I also agree with you in that I don't have a problem with trying to spin somebody out of the race, almost everybody does it to me given half a chance, so why not.

podyx
  • podyx

Money Maker

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

yea catch up is pretty annoying but then again

getting first in every race is to f*cking easy when catch up is off

it adds some competition kinda

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:53 PM Edited by Hodgey., 17 October 2013 - 03:54 PM.

I don't get R*.

So dumbing the game down just enough to cater to really, really, really bad players who don't care to learn how to play is a good thing?

Notice I said BAD and not casual,  being casual is no excuse for not learning how to play.

Its kind of sad that R* makes these amazing games and then ruins it with noob settings.  Just sayin'.

Just because someone turned on their console does not mean he should be total SUPER AWESOME!

No, no you interpreted what i said a different way than was intended. I never said that it was a good thing that they dumbed down the game. Not at all, i agree with you when i think that free aim should be used more and catchup shouldn't be a default setting. However the longer and more people R* can get people playing GTAO the more financial better it will be for the company as more people may be willing to purchase the various DLC's.

Secondly i dont understand what you would class as a bad player? I like to race and spend more time doing that than anything else, however with deathmatches on free aim im normally even with my K/D ratio, sometimes one higher than the other. So what you would class as a bad gamer? A bad gamer is subject to opinion and could never be classified correctly.

Overall i do agree that free aim and catchup shouldn't be the default settings but it really isnt that much of a hassle to change the settings to suit how you want to play the game.

Itsagimp
  • Itsagimp

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:56 PM Edited by Itsagimp, 17 October 2013 - 03:56 PM.

It's not nearly as bad as people think. I've raced over 30 races each time with catchup on. I'd say 50% of those the leader that led at start had won the race.

People over react to everything if it isn't exactly how they want it.

Welcome to the 'me' 'now' pathetic generation
  • riksterinto likes this

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

So what you would class as a bad gamer? A bad gamer is subject to opinion and could never be classified correctly.

I think a bad gamer is someone who religiously plays a game on the easiest settings without ever wanting to get better.

Like playing basketball and wanting the Hoop lowered to Five feet, moved inches away from the 3 point line and increase the Hoop hole to be 5 times the size of the ball.  Some people would love this because they wold be "PRO".

...lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users