» «
Photo

Catchup is one of the most annoying settings in the game

65 replies to this topic
oG-DaLLaS
  • oG-DaLLaS

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:26 AM Edited by oG-DaLLaS, 17 October 2013 - 11:27 AM.

I can't recall how many times I shouldve won a race but catchup screwed me out of it. Il be loosing to guys who've crashed 2 times in the race while I hadn't once, even with me in 1st place all game. Why did Rockstar put this in the game?? You never see the person in 1st place in real life races to slow down. So why put the unrealistic dumb sh*t on gta?? It makes trying to get a lead totally irrelevant.

Daniel_B
  • Daniel_B

Peon

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

I don't mind it being there for people who know what it does and want to use it, but they never should have made "on" the default option.  Cuz I'm pretty sure that 98% of the people who host races have no idea what it is, and just leave it on the default setting...

UnflushableCrap
  • UnflushableCrap

Penis

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Even when it's turned off, you can slipstream still.

Mr Walker
  • Mr Walker

No. I don't like you.

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

I don't do races any more in general.  They're a big f*cking joke all round.

Every retard thinks the way to win is to smash everyone else off the road.

• Kummitus likes this

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

That and the extreme slipstream ruin racing for me.

sOFrOsTy
  • sOFrOsTy

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

I don't mind it being there for people who know what it does and want to use it, but they never should have made "on" the default option.  Cuz I'm pretty sure that 98% of the people who host races have no idea what it is, and just leave it on the default setting...

This.

Also, catch up is kind of necessary. I've said it before. Not in all instances, but, without catch up, whoever gets the lead off the start wins the race 95% of the time. Catch up is fun because it makes ramming easier and more viable

soggyinvert
  • soggyinvert

Playa

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

I don't do races any more in general.  They're a big f*cking joke all round.

Every retard thinks the way to win is to smash everyone else off the road.

Not everyone...

http://socialclub.ro...w/apex_stalkers

b1g_dav3
  • b1g_dav3

Crackhead

• Members

Agreed, lost so many races because catchup is enabled and everyone flies past you when you're in first because you're speed limited and it takes a few seconds to realise people who can't drive have caught up that 10 second gap -.- shouldn't even exist.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Omg , i got screwed over by this yesterday. I was the host and left it on. We had races with it on previously though and it didnt seem a problem. I won all of 6 races we had anyway, apart from the one where it done me over!

It was a sanchez race from like zancudo, down to the beach on paleto bay. Me and two other places, I pulled away from them and separted myself by at least 7 seconds or so. I notcied this one guy creeping up slowly. And then on the home straight along the beach he casually overtook me. And cruised to the finish marker. I was like WTF! My bike felt like it was not getting the power it should have. Weird, weird setting. From now on, i'm turning that sh*t off! Lesson learned. 

wallpaper42
  • wallpaper42

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

You know what's worse is guns that auto lock on to other players...

soggyinvert
  • soggyinvert

Playa

• Members

I personally think it's ok, because you can catch up to the dicks who ram you off the road, and keep the race interesting.

When with friends who race clean though, definitely off

karmaman101
  • karmaman101

Thug

• Members

Catch up is for the noobs who can't race, so they're forced to use a handicap. It's pretty funny when people try to justify/defend it.

• oG-DaLLaS likes this

rufus-t-bone
  • rufus-t-bone

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

Mustard is the most annoying setting IMO

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:38 AM Edited by WinterEdit, 17 October 2013 - 11:39 AM.

Catch-up: If someone wins because he rammed everyone else off the road, is that fair? Catch-up is good to have in races when you know someone is an asshole and tries to win by any means. But if all the players are good sport and play without ramming others off the road on purpose, then I don't see why it should be enabled.

Slipstreaming: I don't see why someone wants this off, really... all it does is adds a bit of realism. Yeah, sure, you'll most likely lose if someone slipstreams you near the finish, but then you can try to block. Admitted, it might make your car go crazy and fly off like an eagle, but well, at least you tried.

• riksterinto likes this

danowat
  • danowat

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

I am in two minds, firstly it gives you the option of being able to catch up after you get caught in the obligatory first 100yds smashfest, however, when I win a race, I want to win it because of skill, not because of the catch up feature.

Personally, I think the only way for R* to make it possible for people to race properly and have the outcome of the race determined by driving skill is to turn collisions off.......

• Kummitus and WinterEdit like this

Mr Walker
  • Mr Walker

No. I don't like you.

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Personally, I think the only way for R* to make it possible for people to race properly and have the outcome of the race determined by driving skill is to turn collisions off.......

I would love this so much.

KingGladiator
  • KingGladiator

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

I hope you know slipstreaming in real life is NOT like GTA slipstreaming.

Real life SS may give you a few MPH boost, enough to crawl past another car, not give you a 30mph boost.

oG-DaLLaS
  • oG-DaLLaS

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:11 PM Edited by oG-DaLLaS, 17 October 2013 - 12:21 PM.

I personally think it's ok, because you can catch up to the dicks who ram you off the road, and keep the race interesting.

When with friends who race clean though, definitely off

I usually avoid the crashes at the begging to grab a hold of the lead. But with catchup on, it doesn't matter what I do. 1st place is irrelevant. You usually wanna be in 2nd or 3rd coming down the final stretch when catchup is on. No reason you should be punished for grabbing 1st place. Its just stupid. If your worried about people getting to far ahead, then don't fall back. Simple as that. This catchup sh*t is pussy racing

Lucius Aelius
  • Lucius Aelius

Loose Seals of LS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Agreed, catch-up has to go, this isn't Mario Kart and I want an actual race when I play, not some half-assed bad joke wannabe race this game becomes with catch-up on.

a1958r
  • a1958r

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

This is what gets on my nerves. I honestly wish we could turn off slipstream.

adra12
  • adra12

Orange and Maroon VT

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:33 PM Edited by adra12, 17 October 2013 - 12:34 PM.

I hope you know slipstreaming in real life is NOT like GTA slipstreaming.

Real life SS may give you a few MPH boost, enough to crawl past another car, not give you a 30mph boost.

That 30mph effect is a compound of SS with catchup. If catchup is off you won't notice the SS rubberbanding being more like a jump then a realistic rubberband.

The problem is as a couple have pointed out if you turn catchup off to make the SS effect more realistic and you have people in the race who like to screw others over, then its pretty much get ahead at start or it doesn't matter anyway.

Really catchup needs to be slightly altered so that the difference it provides is somehow dependent on your place and how far behind the leader you are. If you are within SS range of the leader it should have 0 effect.

This is what gets on my nerves. I honestly wish we could turn off slipstream.

What so whoever gets put in the pole position can instantly win unless they have a worse car or screw up? Where is the skill in winning that race?

Mr Walker
  • Mr Walker

No. I don't like you.

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

I usually avoid the crashes at the begging to grab a hold of the lead.

It depends what track you're racing.  If it's a short run up to the first corner, there's always some... enthusiast who either hasn't worked out what brakes are for, or is of the deeply held conviction that taking you both off the track is a truly winning strategy, and even if you start in front you just don't have enough of a lead to avoid their raging arseclownery.

Mid pack you might as well just pull a number out of a hat.

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

I think they have it right to have 'catch up' as an option but it should be switched off by default.

If it was a R* dedicated racing game, it would be off. Because it's GTA, with an emphasis on fun, it is on.

a1958r
  • a1958r

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

@adra12,

I understand why the Slipstream feature was added, but I don't think it should have the effects of a 250 shot of NOS. I fully understand whoever gets the jump first would be pretty much unbeatable unless someone comes with a car that is much more tuned.

TL:DR Just lower the effects of slip stream so they aren't so strong. 

Mr Walker
  • Mr Walker

No. I don't like you.

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

What so whoever gets put in the pole position can instantly win unless they have a worse car or screw up? Where is the skill in winning that race?

The skill lies in not screwing up.  I'll freely admit I've lost races/places where I've definitely let my enthusiasm get ahead of me, or I've misjudged my speed or a gap, and introduced my car into a tree/wall/oncoming traffic.  I'm sure we all have.

Just seems that more and more I'm getting introduced to these obstacles by Crash and Bash clowns.

• Kummitus likes this

oG-DaLLaS
  • oG-DaLLaS

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

I like ss even tho it might be a little op. But still, you kind of need it.

Trevingit
  • Trevingit

cheese meister

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

the biggest problem i find with catch up is how it nerfs your top speed if your in the lead. If I have been in the lead for the whole lap then my lap times are about 10 seconds slower than my best.

autoduck
  • autoduck

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

I personally think it's ok, because you can catch up to the dicks who ram you off the road

Those c*nts wouldn't be able to ram me if they didn't get a ridiculous boost from slipstream and catchup. Its f*cking ridiculous i tell you.

Its a good thing we have online multiplayer nowadays. I cannot imagine what I'll do i was playing local multiplayer with gay fags ramming me. They'll most likely end up in the hospital.

NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

ketchup.jpg

FATSTOGIE
  • FATSTOGIE

Prankster

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

I can't recall how many times I shouldve won a race but catchup screwed me out of it. Il be loosing to guys who've crashed 2 times in the race while I hadn't once, even with me in 1st place all game. Why did Rockstar put this in the game?? You never see the person in 1st place in real life races to slow down. So why put the unrealistic dumb sh*t on gta?? It makes trying to get a lead totally irrelevant.

To make kids stop giving up on the race and turning around to try to ram you going the opposite direction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users