Activision boss looks forward to beating GTA sales record

73 replies to this topic
mdudee2072
  • mdudee2072

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

LOL. what a funny statement that is,i dont think COD will beat gta though

"Congratulations to the team at Rockstar for their success," UK senior brand manager Kevin Flynn told MCV, doubtless while grinning like a shark. "We look forward to getting the record back before the next GTA title"

(from OXM UK)

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:49 AM Edited by Billy james, 17 October 2013 - 09:50 AM.

Bring out a Crash Bandicoot game and you just might

• Gutslab, zzmorg82 and CatDog96 like this

mdudee2072
  • mdudee2072

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

i think its a strong statement dude,GTA has already passed fifa,skyrim and black ops 2 lifetime sales

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

Activision don't know what they are talking about. 

Enterprise
  • Enterprise

Trick

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:58 AM Edited by Enterprise, 17 October 2013 - 09:59 AM.

i'm not a big fan of CoD anymore and don't see where they could make any more big improvements

But I think his statement is quite legit and it could quite possibly happen that on of the next CoD's (not Ghosts or the one after Ghosts) will break some sale records

If he would have said that Ghosts will beat it then I wouldn't have even taken this statement serious but if he puts it that way that one of the next CoD's will break the sales records then I think he might be right with that

hhamzah99
  • hhamzah99

Call me.. Heisenberg.

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

suck my dick

Osho
  • Osho

The Jackal

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

"We look forward to getting the record back before the next GTA title"

Sir, nobody seems to be playing COD till GTA 6

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Lol Call of Duty sucks dick. It's boring as sh*t and you can't even free roam or see your character. 1st person sucks ass. This is why GTA is the best and will never be beaten by any game. f*ck Activision. They haven't made a good game since Spider-Man 2 on the PS2.

• Sirpepperoni likes this

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Okay guys, lets not get too cocky. If the Call of Duty team released a game that featured all of the very best features that made COD so enjoyable to play + if the COD team promoted the game the best way possible (look at the "fan confessional" vids that Battlefield's been putting out) + its on next gen, there's a good chance COD can take the records back.

You forget, there's a new COD game every single year. They won't, but if they did skip a year or two, the hype generated would make a record breaking run feasible. I went to the midnight release of Black Ops 2 and GTA V and let me tell you, there were a sh*tload more people at the BO2 release. But clearly the sales say something different.

I'm just not convinced that GTA will hold this record forever and ever, until the end of days. A game will be released that breaks it and it doesn't necessarily have to be a Rockstar title.

But it probably will.

I'm just saying it doesn't have to be.

NYdreamz
  • NYdreamz

Born Sinner

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

I doubt cod will break GTAs record .... But let's be honest yall could say what yall want about COD ... but cod is the only gaming franchise respectable enough to call out GTAs sales
  • poklane likes this

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

I doubt cod will break GTAs record .... But let's be honest yall could say what yall want about COD ... but cod is the only gaming franchise respectable enough to call out GTAs sales

This. If there's one game that can get close or beat GTA, it's CoD.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:36 AM Edited by Gst0395, 17 October 2013 - 11:36 AM.

Activision can take that ego of theirs and stick it up their greedy corporate arse. I guess that proves that they care more about quantity than quality. They did actually used to publish some great games like Spider-Man 2, The Movies, earlier Tony Hawk games and whatnot, now they're just a bunch of money-greedy sellouts who milk their franchises for everything they're worth. Just look what happened to Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero, I'm still waiting for the same to happen to Call of Duty. Keith Flynn can f*ck off.

CheesusChrist
  • CheesusChrist

Space cactus

• Members
  • Chile

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

More than "respectable" it's "ridiculously succesful".

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

COD is going to sell by the bucket load. But it's sh*t. Incremental innovation... but still ultimately the same game as the last three. 

Same goes for GTA, really, but at least it offers more than just the standard COD 'OMGZ GOTS GUNZ' bullsh*t.

TheMarkofZollo
  • TheMarkofZollo

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

"We look forward to getting the record back before the next GTA title"

.....well make a decent game for a change then!!

Seriously, I loved COD 1 and 2, 3 was rubbish, 4 was interesting and 5 was pretty good but from there it is just boring predictable repeat.

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

They make a sh*t ton of money yeah. Over 1 billion in game sales alone yearly, then add sh*t like DLC and they're swimming in cash.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

So, they're only going to count the 360 & PS3 sales? Doubt it.

Epsimrove
  • Epsimrove

Forest Stalker

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Cod destroyed the FPS genre.

• Corndog93 likes this

NYdreamz
  • NYdreamz

Born Sinner

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Okay guys, lets not get too cocky. If the Call of Duty team released a game that featured all of the very best features that made COD so enjoyable to play + if the COD team promoted the game the best way possible (look at the "fan confessional" vids that Battlefield's been putting out) + its on next gen, there's a good chance COD can take the records back.

You forget, there's a new COD game every single year. They won't, but if they did skip a year or two, the hype generated would make a record breaking run feasible. I went to the midnight release of Black Ops 2 and GTA V and let me tell you, there were a sh*tload more people at the BO2 release. But clearly the sales say something different.

I'm just not convinced that GTA will hold this record forever and ever, until the end of days. A game will be released that breaks it and it doesn't necessarily have to be a Rockstar title.

But it probably will.

I'm just saying it doesn't have to be.

I Agree with you .... if cod took 2 years off and hyped up the release for it ... I think the sales could be pretty scary

NYdreamz
  • NYdreamz

Born Sinner

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

They make a sh*t ton of money yeah. Over 1 billion in game sales alone yearly, then add sh*t like DLC and they're swimming in cash.

yup can't forget about that DLC money .... it's crazy to see how many people brought weapon camos and those aren't even part of the season pass

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

If they took 4 years off and radically changed their game, they might stand a chance. But until then it's just more pew-pew-pew nonsense. 

FPS, why you so boring?

DoubleOGJohnson
  • DoubleOGJohnson

Playa

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

Lol Call of Duty sucks dick. It's boring as sh*t and you can't even free roam or see your character. 1st person sucks ass. This is why GTA is the best and will never be beaten by any game. f*ck Activision. They haven't made a good game since Spider-Man 2 on the PS2.

lol at you saying GTA is the best and will never be beaten as if you know the future.

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Activision can eat sh*t and die.

android
  • android

Purple Nines

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

LOL

They wont even have a chance of beating the GTA V sales record, Call of Duty is popular, but this year it seems that everyone has calmed down.

Gave me a good laugh.

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

If they took 4 years off and radically changed their game, they might stand a chance. But until then it's just more pew-pew-pew nonsense. 

FPS, why you so boring?

The single player isn't that bad though. The story is actually decent considering they have to pump out a new one every year. BO2's story, for instance, didn't have nearly as many plotholes as V's and Rockstar had what? 5 years to come up with a script.

I'm saying that as a GTA fan too, though I do enjoy occassionally mixing it up online in COD.

DoubleOGJohnson
  • DoubleOGJohnson

Playa

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

I aint even know people cared so much about sales records, as if yall personally make any money off these games. Rockstar can fire their entire marketing staff and let teenage boys and fanboys promote their product for free if they wanted to. lol

plz honor me
  • plz honor me

that guy

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:12 PM Edited by plz honor me, 17 October 2013 - 12:20 PM.

well now we might see some evolution in games if there competing... not them pumping out the same game every year.

even if it was an off comment means there gone try...

+it is more a marketing campaign it did pretty well considering its on these forums.

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

☛✔Goals Achieved: 1/1☚

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:13 PM Edited by GTAction99, 17 October 2013 - 12:13 PM.

No way in hell COD gonna beat GTA sales record. It might come close, but it won't beat it.

VIPΣR
  • VIPΣR

Doesn't give up the fight

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Not gonna happen! COD is almost dead.

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

And another thing about the sales record, COD doesn't sell their games in $150 Collector's edition packages either. If the next COD game was to make available, say $150 packages with exclusive weapons for use online, that would not be made available at a later date via DLC, then yea, the record stands a chance to be broken. There are people willing to waste their money on anything, history has proven.

It's all about the marketing fellas.

I mean for f*ck sake, the "new" iPhone 5S and 5C have sold 9 million units already. Compare that to GTA V's 15 million unit sold, does anyone see that its a bit ridiculous we're still buying iPhones when they haven't changed a whole lot over the years?

It's all about the marketing.

People will spend their money.

For anyone who cares, some organizations estimate that the iPhone (all generations included) has surpassed 300 million units sold, in total, between 2007 and the present. Also, the iPod (again all generations) has sold over 350 million units since 2001.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users