Quantcast

» «
Photo

So why is GTA Online Free Roam supposed to be fun?

60 replies to this topic
aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

I haven't played online since last week. After I finish single player I might go back to playing Dark Souls. GTA V has been a disappointment.

• Soda and Soap likes this

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:22 AM Edited by ShinobiFixer, 18 October 2013 - 09:25 AM.

I just want the blips gone completely.  Unless you're running, in a car, or shooting an unsilenced weapon.  f*ck, the stealth is useless in this game.

Even Lester hiding you from radar is useless.  $500 dollars for one minute.  f*ck were they thinking with the stealth in this game.

MasterToothDecayer
  • MasterToothDecayer

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. GTA IV multiplayer was super boring. All there was to do was blow up other players in helicopters, get blown up by helicopters, and stuff that was incorporated into GTA V much better (Impromptu Races, One-on-One Deathmatches, etc).

The MMO aspects give it a longer life span. If they keep releasing new free DLC like they already have planned, I'll keep getting new stuff to buy and save up for. It's a "grind" because they want you to play the game modes, near the end of IV's life span I was rarely able to get into a race or deathmatch, let alone Cops and Robbers or Mafiya Wars. With the way money is, as long as people are playing the free mode, you can bet people will be playing the game modes. In other words, they want you to play the game, not just fly around being a jackass in free roam.

fish61324
  • fish61324

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

Yea .... I remember the days when free mode was all about having reckless fun even some of the mods were fun to play with .... I guess one day ill play 4 again to relive those memories ....

I'd go back and play IV too but sadly, my PS3 has gotten the YLOD :(. Good thing I got V on my 360... 

That may be the dumbest comment I have ever read. You know they have GTA IV for the 360 too?  yes yes, I know, you don't have a copy of GTA IV for your 360, but your comment is still stupid.

BlademanX
  • BlademanX

Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Lol i never free roam i hustle and do missions but try defend myself and trust no one

Synethste
  • Synethste

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

No point in doing free-roam at all unless you're really into not making any money and f*cking with other people.... Which is what I have found free-roam to be full of, so it kind of makes sense = People who enjoy being idiots and blowing each other up hang out in free-mode, and those who want to make money and buy new toys will be chillin in the missions section... Different strokes and all that, but I REALLY wish players did not show up on radar unless in a car or something... Or perhaps you could choose whether you wanted your dot displayed to everyone, friends, crew etc. like the vehicle system, and perhaps pay Lester to highlight an enemy player for you for a certain amount of time. 

Jonboy507
  • Jonboy507

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

I realised I had this same problem about a week ago.

I'm casually roaming around in Free Mode with one of my mates, who is a right troll at times. He showed me the house he was planning on getting, and then proceeded to get back in his personal car. He got in the passenger side, and for a laugh I jumped in the driver's side and drove off pretending to take it straight to the sea and destroy it. When I eventually got out, he understandably decides to shoot me with a shotgun.

I spawn having lost a thousand of my remaining $9,000. Big deal. When I briefly put on passive mode and left GTA alone for a few minutes to do something else, I return to find he is running me over with his car. He kills me for the ninth straight time, and I something like $3,000 left. Again, no big deal - I hardly had any money anyway and a quick race or two will sort that out.

The problem was that I suddenly found myself plotting some revenge mission to kill him nine times as well. It was at that point I realised this is not the GTA multiplayer experience I have come to expect from V. All this talk of earning money online, banking it and keeping it safe whilst building your illegal career up from scratch is all well and good, but most of my best moments from all my time on IV came in the proper version of 'Free Mode' - where someone killing you wasn't necessarily a big deal. Where you were left to do whatever you wanted without the cops busting yo ass for standing in someone's personal space. Where you were just, free.

Like someone earlier mentioned, I find myself constantly avoiding people (even my own untrustworthy friends) because I'm afraid they might kill me. Passive mode, as hinted at earlier, can at times be totally useless. What if I don't have time to run to my garage or somewhere I can't be run over? What if I don't want to leave the game just to be safe? I want to drive a car and have people shoot my tyres for a laugh (or vice versa), and then need to find a health pack somewhere to restore the car to its prime condition. I want to be able to go into any part of the map without fear of getting a four-star wanted level (I question what the point of the Military Base actually is if you can never go in). I want to enjoy a mode where there are no restraints.

And if I feel the need to continue earning money, I can always go back into the normal online mode. Where the two could link well together (and would provide an incentive for people to continue with the main online mode) is to have a player's current car(s), property and character all carry over into classic FM. You want a better car? Go earn it in normal online, then show it off in classic. Something like that would be neat.

I can't think of a game I've ever played where its online is 100% ranked. There is no unranked. No mode to relax. Even on COD, you can start up a private game and be as good or sh*t as you please, without having any effect on rank. The way GTA Online currently works is quite frankly odd. They've tried too hard to be clever, to be different, to be innovative. And for me, they have forgotten all about the core elements of online, especially on a game like this, that are essential.

tl;dr: the game is 100% ranked and needs to give people the option to chill out a bit.

• Soda and Soap and Superh like this

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

You're right op. R* forbids having fun. Anything I try to do I either get swarmed by super cops or something else that ruins the fun. Every time. It's just sad that V turned out this way. I never expected this. Whoever R* hired making these design decisions needs fired.

jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Sounds like a bunch of kids mad they can't be relentless assholes online.

willyum32
  • willyum32

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

more content is on the way people you just need to wai.....

oh I forget this is the " I demand it now generation "

did we pay $30 for this game? $40?? $50?.  No, we paid full price. it is bullsh*t how they are releasing bits and pieces.  First single player, then online, then heists. wtf..

Beee
  • Beee

Beee

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

ive had tons of fun so far :D but that $2000 medical bill was really annoying, thank god the new update changed that to $500. 

MikeyB
  • MikeyB

Floppy Member

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

I renewed my XBOX Live subscription just for this and after two attempts at trying it I have completely lost interest in online.

Soda and Soap
  • Soda and Soap

Dr Pepper

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:36 PM Edited by Soda and Soap, 18 October 2013 - 09:37 PM.

It really isn't very fun at all. Your forced to earn money to do anything unlike GTA IV, where everything is given to you from the start. 

It was awesome how GTA IV was so alive at the airport, crazy gun battles happening, people doing stunts in cars, just people having feel good fun all the time without worrying about losing money everytime they died. 

But now your constantly forced to do missions just to get money to buy ammo, at least have a system like RDR where you can pick up ammo at certain spots. I don't know what in the world Rockstar was thinking. 

raaafz
  • raaafz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:53 PM Edited by raaafz, 18 October 2013 - 11:08 PM.

Oh my God guys! I though I was the only one who hated this! I even sent an e-mail to Rockstar, this is what I wrote:

"You guys did a very good job in the GTAO. I had a few problems in the beggining but all of them were solved and the game was running easy and smooth. I´ve been playing with a friend, racing around San Andreas, taking some money in the stores and eventually getting killed by the police. It was awesome! The problem begins when I looked over my bank account and I saw I´ve lost a big portion of money by simpling... playing.. the things... you did... for us... to play.

With the recent tittle update I saw you guys placed a new value for the free roam deaths, but $500 is still a high price to pay when I die, just because I runned over people or just because a bad player saw me in the cellphone and decided to shoot me in the head (it happens a lot).

I don't mind dying. In fact, I love to die playing videogames. It brings balance. And harmony. But guys... its free roam... free. roam.

The free roam mode is the hearth of the game... is where you have no objectives, no missions to do, just fun and friendship. Now I drive and walk with fear. Fear that I can´t get to the nearest bank. Fear that if something happens to me, I can´t buy my things. Fear to play. Fear to get too close to a player. 

vince91
  • vince91

the pube in your orange juice

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

you are doing it wrong..

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

I love GTA Online, I think it's best enjoyed with a friend or two. A friend and I had tonnes of fun hitting stores across the map and having police chases. Hell even walking down mountains is funny, how your character just gives up. 

lesaffrematty
  • lesaffrematty

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

It just sucks all the way that bad sports part...

We are playing GRAND THEFT AUTO! 

The point is to be a bad sport!

And even better, if you can be a bad sport with your intire crew.

I finally for the first time found a helicopter with rockets on in today...

You would think... Nice. Now u can hunt down some bounty's...

The only problem is... they are almost all sitting in their car.

So if i kill, thanks to the new patch i get to pay the insurance costs + get put in the bad sport section for a day...

It's just ridiculous, what do they expect?

That we all gonna walk on sidewalk hand in hand.

And all beeing extremely gentle with each other...

Thats not why i play GTA... 

If i want a expierence like that I will start playing a game like the sims...

Where i can maybe understand a feature like 'bad sports'

not in GTA...

Murad96
  • Murad96

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:00 AM Edited by Murad96, 19 October 2013 - 12:01 AM.

I just want the blips gone completely.  Unless you're running, in a car, or shooting an unsilenced weapon.  f*ck, the stealth is useless in this game.

Even Lester hiding you from radar is useless.  $500 dollars for one minute.  f*ck were they thinking with the stealth in this game.

"F*ck were they thinking?"? How is stealth bad in SP? It's only bad in online, don't say it's bad in this whole game.

UnderWeb
  • UnderWeb

Playa

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:11 AM Edited by UnderWeb, 19 October 2013 - 12:12 AM.

We all should send R* an email about this. GTA IV airport was so f*ckin fun.

Superh
  • Superh

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

Agreed, it's all i want. weapons on the map, money doesnt effect anything. no bad sport.

I don't want to grind, and i don't even want to do races or missions. I find those things boring, but if i want tohave fun on free mode, i have to now. It's going to reach a point where i'm still level 19-30 and everyone else is over 100 and i wont be able to have any fun anymore. Screw this game.

Just becase the ADD generation likes level systems doesn't mean you have to make them a requirement for the enjoyment of "FREE MODE". I'm mature/(not ADD inclined, whatever the word for it is) to enjoy games without that bullcrap.

pilscy
  • pilscy

Don Vito

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:34 AM

its like all you can do is customize cars and buy houses.

missions are there

races are there

all the other borin sh*t (yoga tennis darts etc.) are there.

but still no real interaction!!.. and this is 'GTA 5 ONLINE' ??

This meaning ....

-no romance with another player//random ped.  

-limited amount of houses//appt to buy

-no food places open yet.

-no jail system

-no house//appt customization (adding firniture etc....)

-small amount of things to add to vehicles. 

-no weight !!!!! (everyone is skinny//fit)

i can go on about more sh*t they should have but some ppl prolly would say i was expecting too much

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:43 AM

As I said, we just need an unranked Free Mode.  It should have no hospital bills, you should get the ammo you shot back after you leave the session (because it's unranked), "Bad Sport" shouldn't play a part, your destroyed vehicles should be replaced for free, and so on.  In other words, money shouldn't have too much of an effect in such a mode.  Just pure, shameless chaos and other sorts of "f*cking around".

ILuvRockstarGames
  • ILuvRockstarGames

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:12 AM Edited by ILuvRockstarGames, 19 October 2013 - 04:29 AM.

Sorry for caps but people need to read this.

PLEASE EVERYONE, IF WE WANT A CHANGE IN THE CURRENT FREE MODE, WE NEED TO LET R* KNOW! SEND THEM YOUR FEEDBACK! LET'S GET OUR CLASSIC FUN FREE MODE BACK!

[email protected] <----- feedback E-Mail.

Either we need a classic Free Mode or a Free Mode that we can create > Police off/on, Map Area selection, etc. (This would be seperate from the current FM)

ONAOGTAVGRIF
  • ONAOGTAVGRIF

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

Agruud.

Hav0k304
  • Hav0k304

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:31 AM Edited by Hav0k304, 19 October 2013 - 04:32 AM.

thats why you play deathmatches and team deathmatches, there is loads of them, f*cking idiots, want to kill people without the fear of police and medical bills? go and play a deathmatch.

Jameson312
  • Jameson312

Founder and Lead Curler: LS Curling Association

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

Sadly, I don't think the people they have in charge of the online really know what they are doing because they put these bad features in to begin with. And I doubt they would have any plans to change them. I think the online developers have some weird vision of what Free Roam should be and are going to stick to it.

So much this ^

GTA is done. Cooked. It's over.

Just hope they don't completely f*ck up Red Dead 3.

ILuvRockstarGames
  • ILuvRockstarGames

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:35 AM

thats why you play deathmatches and team deathmatches, there is loads of them, f*cking idiots, want to kill people without the fear of police and medical bills? go and play a deathmatch.

TDM/DM are not the same as FM. FREE Mode should be all about FREEdom. Not everyone wants to play DMs 24/7. Free Mode is supposed to be fun not worrying. Besides, DMs are mostly dead, unless you play vs your friends.

SSjEnforcer
  • SSjEnforcer

Player Hater

• Members

Earlier this week I got in a quarrel with another player, we killed each other back and forth and he eventually got like 5 kills in a row on me with his sniper rifle.
I left the area not feeling too bad, but later I noticed my bank account was almost $10000 short after missions.

I never knew about this death penalty bs until today.

How the hell was this not made public knowledge?

I've never been told in online mode I was losing money when dying in free mode.
This is serious bs.

$500000 doesn't cover the devs failures for online.

They owe us much more than that

naizarak
  • naizarak

Square Civilian

• Members

free roam is just an interactive staging area for you to enter actual missions and activities. there's literally nothing to do, especially since killing others is basically forbidden

MUT3D
  • MUT3D

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:37 AM

I understand that they are "trying" to make an MMO and in missions it is. However GTA is a game known for pub stomping in free roam. We have been stealing cars and killing cops since GTA1 and now they want that to change. You can't take a brand and change the face of it so easily. Free roam multiplayer was a dream come true but the bad sport ruins the entire game. I don't mind paying hospital bills, I can make that back with a few missions. But blow up a few cars and I can't play with my friends. Either ban me completely or don't punish me for having fun. There is nothing to do in Free roam and until there is some kind of "Go here and do this" then the only thing to do is kill each other. Sure we can rob the same 20 stores over and over but for what they give you nothing. We either need something community based in free roam or its needs to be the chaotic wasteland it was meant to be. My last gripe is cops shouldn't come when killing other players, it should be a dog eat dog world and it has become tinsel town with a lot more violence. I like the idea of a GTA MMO but its just not working out the way it should.

• SSjEnforcer likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users