Quantcast

» «
Photo

So why is GTA Online Free Roam supposed to be fun?

60 replies to this topic
TheWonderMutt
  • TheWonderMutt

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

Medical Bills and Dying and Bad Sports

-No street wars unless you want to go broke from dying.

-No screwing around and having fun with the chance of dying.

-No ability to really bank money considering it will be taken out of your bank one way or another.

-By another I mean ammo is taken from your gun when you die, ultimately making you have to flee when you resort to your pistol and yet another way that deaths cost you money.

-Being spawned 100 ft away from the person who last killed you, making the previously mentioned points that much more annoying.

-Bad Sport warnings when you destroy another persons car, even if they are chasing you down and your actions are justified.

In my opinion these features are ruining Free Mode. Free Mode is supposed to be about freedom, and having fun. Not a giant lobby in which you must risk the money you have earned just to have a bit of fun. Sigh.

Missions, survival mode, all these things are amazing, yet Free Roam leaves a lot to be desired. I think a lot of the spirit that made previous GTA games so fun was kind of lost in this game's online Free Mode.

• saintsrow, B Dawg, GTAspotter and 3 others like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:50 AM

agreed completely. they either need to take the medical bills penalty away or have an old fashion free roam mode. hell, I'd settle for a mode you'd pay a fee for, like 5k or something if they really wanna keep the mmo aspect going on
  • pilscy likes this

NikosUncle
  • NikosUncle

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

Do u only lose 2000 in freemode if u die or all gametypes?

TheWonderMutt
  • TheWonderMutt

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

agreed completely. they either need to take the medical bills penalty away or have an old fashion free roam mode. hell, I'd settle for a mode you'd pay a fee for, like 5k or something if they really wanna keep the mmo aspect going on

Sadly, I don't think the people they have in charge of the online really know what they are doing because they put these bad features in to begin with. And I doubt they would have any plans to change them. I think the online developers have some weird vision of what Free Roam should be and are going to stick to it. Too bad it's not at all that fun. Rather, a grind.

Which is sad because I'm on a NAT 3 connection and cannot change it because of the router I have won't allow it. So It takes me about 20 mins to an hour of constantly joining new sessions from an empty one until I get into one that actually has people in it, and when I do missions I get kicked back into an empty Free Roam. Therefore I don't even do missions because it's such a hassle.

I'm stuck with Free Roam and can't even make ends meat. :(

joejoebaggin
  • joejoebaggin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

bad sport needs to be removed completely. If somebody is attacking you from a personal vehicle you cant even fight back without worrying about getting dunced.

NYdreamz
  • NYdreamz

Born Sinner

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

Yea .... I remember the days when free mode was all about having reckless fun even some of the mods were fun to play with .... I guess one day ill play 4 again to relive those memories ....

fish61324
  • fish61324

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

Hopefully R* has been paying attention to their fans the last couple of weeks and brings back GTA IV style free roam. We can use a default character separate from our regular online character. R* can still keep GTA V style free roam, just has a separate game mode for GTA IV style free roam. I want weapons lying around, people to hunt and no fear of dying.  

The way R* has online set up... I completely avoid people whenever possible. I always play invite only sessions online. That's pretty bad when R* has online set up to where I'm avoiding people.....that's not what playing online is about.

Another thing I can't wait for R* to patch is being able to mute players in a game session (yes, I know how in free roam). 

• DeafMetal likes this

Hakosuka
  • Hakosuka

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

Yea .... I remember the days when free mode was all about having reckless fun even some of the mods were fun to play with .... I guess one day ill play 4 again to relive those memories ....

I'd go back and play IV too but sadly, my PS3 has gotten the YLOD :(. Good thing I got V on my 360... 

tresshold
  • tresshold

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

what about pimping a normal car, crew emblem 25K, turbo 50K.

one cars is one shark card, its outrages.

I want to play a game for fun and not worry about bills, I do that in real life.

• Soda and Soap likes this

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

oh well hopefully they take note of the feedback and change things to the better

TheWonderMutt
  • TheWonderMutt

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:07 AM

Shameless bump

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

You shouldn't loose money when you get killed by other players. It's just stupid. It's annoying. You can put it however you like but the people that usually kill you is to piss you off and loosing money is a great way to be pissed. I don't get pissed at them really, but it sucks. I like the game and all but this is fun breaker.

• Soda and Soap likes this

SAVILLAIN
  • SAVILLAIN

ha ha ha

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

more content is on the way people you just need to wai.....

oh I forget this is the " I demand it now generation "

LateNightNeons
  • LateNightNeons

Trick

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

Since GTA Online is not just a multiplayer mod, You need to have a progression based system and you also need to have money and time sinks. I do think that medical bills is not the best way to do it, maybe they should increase the cost of ammo or decrease the money earned and balance the medical bills better. 

This is 2013 though, the ADD generation doesn't play multiplayer games just for fun. We even turned small scale FPSs to progression based games nowadays...

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

This has nothing to do with what the OP said. He never said there wasn't enough content.

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

Medical Bills and Dying and Bad Sports

-No street wars unless you want to go broke from dying.

-No screwing around and having fun with the chance of dying.

-No ability to really bank money considering it will be taken out of your bank one way or another.

-By another I mean ammo is taken from your gun when you die, ultimately making you have to flee when you resort to your pistol and yet another way that deaths cost you money.

-Being spawned 100 ft away from the person who last killed you, making the previously mentioned points that much more annoying.

-Bad Sport warnings when you destroy another persons car, even if they are chasing you down and your actions are justified.

In my opinion these features are ruining Free Mode. Free Mode is supposed to be about freedom, and having fun. Not a giant lobby in which you must risk the money you have earned just to have a bit of fun. Sigh.

Missions, survival mode, all these things are amazing, yet Free Roam leaves a lot to be desired. I think a lot of the spirit that made previous GTA games so fun was kind of lost in this game's online Free Mode.

I agree they should nerf the medical bills.

With that said, GTA: O free roam is fun to cause choas with. Y'know what I did? I shot down a helicopter with a fighter jet. And then get I parachuted down and my figher jet killed some ppl. Fun as hell.

jongameslap
  • jongameslap

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

Yeah, completely agree - seems as if you just want to participate in traditional GTA activities such as running about killing people, more specifically getting caught up in shootouts w/ other players, there's a few consequences just for having fun, and enjoying GTA for what it is - and that kind of ruins some of the immersion, however Rockstar should add "Classic Freemode", which would be very similar to GTA IV's classic Freemode game-mode - where players are free to roam throughout the regions of Los Santos and Blaine County and engage in gun fights without the worries of a number of consequences that kill off immersion.   

TheWonderMutt
  • TheWonderMutt

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:51 AM

Since GTA Online is not just a multiplayer mod, You need to have a progression based system and you also need to have money and time sinks. I do think that medical bills is not the best way to do it, maybe they should increase the cost of ammo or decrease the money earned and balance the medical bills better. 

This is 2013 though, the ADD generation doesn't play multiplayer games just for fun. We even turned small scale FPSs to progression based games nowadays...

Time sinks are only useful for subscription based games like MMO's that rely on those subscription fees to make money. If a company needs to make a time sink because they're worried that people won't play without some sense of digital accomplishment and not for the fun then the gameplay sucks regardless. Those FPS games are amazingly fun, the accomplishments are an added bonus for playing.

TheWonderMutt
  • TheWonderMutt

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

I never demanded anything. I explained very simply how Free Roam sucks, and I'm not wrong. New content won't make the sh*tty content any less sh*tty.

MisterFR3SH
  • MisterFR3SH

Liberty is Love, Liberty is Life.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

I would like Rockstar to bring out a "Classic Free Mode" where could steal a NPCs car without the worry of getting a bounty, finding weapons, health and armor around every corner and no money system. Yes, GTA: Online's free mode is great, but I would like to take a step back and f*ck around once in a while without losing my hard earned cash. If they do this, It has to be totally separated from GTA: Online Free Mode.

• GTAspotter likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

And you're the other half of this generation that reads the title of something, then comment with something irrelevant without reading the details.

TheWonderMutt
  • TheWonderMutt

Crackhead

• Members

You shouldn't loose money when you get killed by other players. It's just stupid. It's annoying. You can put it however you like but the people that usually kill you is to piss you off and loosing money is a great way to be pissed. I don't get pissed at them really, but it sucks. I like the game and all but this is fun breaker.

Personally I think you should loose ALL of the cash you have on hand and have to find an ATM to deposit it before someone kills you and takes it. And that banked money should never ever be touched unless you yourself take it out. That's what banking money is. The way they currently have it it's like putting your money into a siphon you can easily access from your phone.

Crewnordin
  • Crewnordin

Snitch

• Members

The only thing that sucks are the hospital bills,, That is stopping me from shooting my friends but shooting your friends is also the most entertaining part. I hate dying on this game cause you just lose to much money. Besides that GTA Online is a ton of fun

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

I can make over 100k within a few hours just by winning some races, 2k isn't that much once you've accumulated millions of dollars in the long run.. I like that we have to work for what we earn, makes tuning cars and modding guns more worthwhile. 

• downbounty likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

I would like Rockstar to bring out a "Classic Free Mode" where could steal a NPCs car without the worry of getting a bounty, finding weapons, health and armor around every corner and no money system. Yes, GTA: Online's free mode is great, but I would like to take a step back and f*ck around once in a while without losing my hard earned cash. If they do this, It has to be totally separated from GTA: Online Free Mode.

If Rockstar made a multiplayer like IV, then the game would have been out in Spring 2013 like they originally planned. They delayed the game JUST for Online.

TheWonderMutt
  • TheWonderMutt

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:04 AM

I can make over 100k within a few hours just by winning some races, 2k isn't that much once you've accumulated millions of dollars in the long run.. I like that we have to work for what we earn, makes tuning cars and modding guns more worthwhile. 

At least this is a thoughtful response. But I can't make money in misisons because I have a NAT 3 connection that I can't change because of my modem. I'm stuck in Free Roam and it usually takes me about 20 mins to an hour just to find a session that has people in it. If I do missions I either get kicked with a timed out message or get sent back to an empty Free Roam serve when the mission is over. Also This is the only game that has ever given me a problem with my connection for online gaming.

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:05 AM Edited by TheJasonGallant, 18 October 2013 - 06:07 AM.

Personally I think you should loose ALL of the cash you have on hand and have to find an ATM to deposit it before someone kills you and takes it. And that banked money should never ever be touched unless you yourself take it out. That's what banking money is. The way they currently have it it's like putting your money into a siphon you can easily access from your phone.

Yeah I agree with that but no medical fees.

Or, you still loose 2k only if you have not banked money. Imagine, you come back from a few races, deathmatches or whatever, you have like 25,000$. I think it would simply suck to loose it all. It's a complete waste of time...

downbounty
  • downbounty

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:05 AM

This is the reason I play SP once in a while

TheWonderMutt
  • TheWonderMutt

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

Yeah I agree with that but no medical fees.

Or, you still loose 2k only if you have not banked money. Imagine, you come back from a few races, deathmatches or whatever, you have like 25,000$. I think it would simply suck to loose it all. It's a complete waste of time...

Oh yeah, I agree. Medical bills need to go if people are really going to take risks and have fun.

LateNightNeons
  • LateNightNeons

Trick

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:16 AM Edited by LateNightNeons, 18 October 2013 - 06:18 AM.

Time sinks are only useful for subscription based games like MMO's that rely on those subscription fees to make money. If a company needs to make a time sink because they're worried that people won't play without some sense of digital accomplishment and not for the fun then the gameplay sucks regardless. Those FPS games are amazingly fun, the accomplishments are an added bonus for playing.

Time sinks add replayability value and addictiveness, while it's essential for a subscription based MMOs, every multiplayer game uses them nowadays in some way or another. Fun gameplay alone does not keep people playing anymore, it did in the mid 90s, but not any more. CoD (for example) would simply not be where it is today if they get rid of the RPG elements, grinds and time sinks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users