Photo

Coil Voltic Compared

15 replies to this topic
E115EnRaged935
  • E115EnRaged935

MaddieLynn333

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:01 AM

Most people seem to think that the 'Coil Voltic' in the game (Grand Theft Auto 5) is a Lotus Elise or some type of Lotus. I on the other hand believe that it is actually a 'Tesla Roadster' (Tesla = Coil)

The Tesla Roadster was first created in California, USA. Hints as to why it was featured in the game. It is just as it is in the game as it is in real life. It is completely battery electric, very small, very light, and very quiet and can go from 0-60 mph in less than 3 seconds. It was created by Tesla motors.

It is a Lotus Elise look-a-like. It is similar in size, body, and shape.

This is really hard discriminating the two. Especially since it is a game, and they have made changes, and as the Grand Theft Auto game series goes, they usually combine looks from different automobiles. This Coil Voltic does seem to be a mix between these two with certain features from the both of them. But based on the name Coil from the game and the actual car's name is Tesla, which is comparing to each=other, on the other hand Lotus and Coil nor Voltic compare. Anyway, here are some pictures, you decide.

(I could not insert the pictures because of some rule this site has)

PLEASE GO TO THIS PAGE TO SEE FULL ARTICLE + Pictures:

http://www.booksie.c...voltic-compared

So What Do You think?

Suppa K
  • Suppa K

Only Zuul

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

Who ever thought the Coil wasn't the Tesla was a moron, it's name is clearly a parody of the Tesla Roadster and that's just common sense.

E115EnRaged935
  • E115EnRaged935

MaddieLynn333

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:57 AM

Well it doesn't seem that way, everybody I've played with says Lotus. It's ticking me off. But that isn't the point. The point here is to figure it out. It's name may be in respect, but he designs are so close together it's hard to tell. It could be half-and-half, but let's see what we can find out.

Glenni91
  • Glenni91

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:14 AM Edited by Glenni91, 17 October 2013 - 07:18 AM.

Very simple reason for this though. A Tesla roadster in real life, is a Lotus... Its body and chassis were provided by Lotus on contract from 2007 to 2012, but unlike the Lotus Elise, or Exige for that matter, it has an electric engine. So it's easy to see why anobody would be confused, if they had no idea what the Tesla Roadster was. 

TheMarkofZollo
  • TheMarkofZollo

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:22 AM Edited by TheMarkofZollo, 17 October 2013 - 09:24 AM.

Just like EVERY car in GTA, it's a parody mix of more than one car.

The Voltic has the front and back lights, the hood and side vents of an Elise, hence the confusion. The remaining characteristics will be from the Tesla and perhaps others but what Glenni91 mentioned adds to the confusion for some people.

• MrReklezz likes this

Luddite
  • Luddite

Ho Rider

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Insert 'Edison' joke here.

..or are we all not that geeky?

FR_Player-One
  • FR_Player-One

Pew Pew Pew - - -

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:30 PM Edited by FR_Player-One, 17 October 2013 - 01:31 PM.

It sure based on both Tesla and Lotus. For its electric engine there is no doubt it's from the Tesla, but the design take inspiration from Lotus a lot.
As well people says "Lotus" cause the Elise / Exige are far more popular and known to the "public" than the Tesla Roadster is, simple.

I kinda want one now :c

haythem09
  • haythem09

Honorbru Dispray

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Ever thought it was based on BOTH? :facedesk:

Or can your mind not comprehend that?

• MrReklezz likes this

GrndZero
  • GrndZero

Old enough to be your dad.

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

The reason most people think it is a Lotus is because that is what it looks like. I referred to it as a Lotus myself until I realized it had no engine sound. I took it to the Customs and there was no Turbo option and it sounded like an electric motor. I then contributed it to being a Tesla.

jerrodh7244
  • jerrodh7244

The Big Boss

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Who ever thought the Coil wasn't the Tesla was a moron, it's name is clearly a parody of the Tesla Roadster and that's just common sense.

This it is very obvious it is supposed to be the Tesla. Listen to it, its an electric car too in the game... 

The Tesla and Lotus's do look similar however. 

MrReklezz
  • MrReklezz

!Loving GTA!

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

It's a mix of both.

E115EnRaged935
  • E115EnRaged935

MaddieLynn333

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

I replied to my own comment saying that is a mix of two by the way, didn't need your guys's comments on that. Just seeing what you guys say.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yeah.. No. It's mainly modelled after the Lotus Elise, as is clearly evident if you look at the side vents, the distinctive vents on the bonnet and the rear end of the car. The mid and rear top part of the car however is modelled after the Tesla Roadster. But the overall looks screams Lotus Elise.

MasterToothDecayer
  • MasterToothDecayer

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

Insert 'Edison' joke here.

..or are we all not that geeky?

Edison does not deserve our humor.

The reason most people think it is a Lotus is because that is what it looks like. I referred to it as a Lotus myself until I realized it had no engine sound. I took it to the Customs and there was no Turbo option and it sounded like an electric motor. I then contributed it to being a Tesla.

That's exactly how I figured it out, and it's embarrasing because I found it in Davis as Franklin and drove it all the way to the purchased LS Customs near the Alamo Sea and modified it before I realized it was an electric motor.

Kifflom
  • Kifflom

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

So, wait, what's the point of this thread? To state the obvious?

The Voltic is a hybrid of the Tesla Roadster and the Lotus Elise. Obviously. I think everyone figured that out weeks ago; maybe OP didn't get the memo and is just now learning that fact, who knows. As far as getting pissed off at people calling the Voltic an Elise, that's just asinine. People can call the Voltic and Elise if they want; it's just as much Elise as it is Tesla. In fact, I'd say that it's BETTER to refer to the Voltic and Elise, since the Elise is, by all accounts, the cooler car.

MasterToothDecayer
  • MasterToothDecayer

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:03 PM Edited by MasterToothDecayer, 17 October 2013 - 11:05 PM.

So, wait, what's the point of this thread? To state the obvious?

The Voltic is a hybrid of the Tesla Roadster and the Lotus Elise. Obviously. I think everyone figured that out weeks ago; maybe OP didn't get the memo and is just now learning that fact, who knows. As far as getting pissed off at people calling the Voltic an Elise, that's just asinine. People can call the Voltic and Elise if they want; it's just as much Elise as it is Tesla. In fact, I'd say that it's BETTER to refer to the Voltic and Elise, since the Elise is, by all accounts, the cooler car.

So, wait, what's the point of this reply? To sound superior?

I've accumulated about four days of game time across all three characters in single player, and the first time I drove the Voltic was yesterday. There are a lot of cars in the game, it's not unimaginable that not everyone has driven every single car.

Also, in my opinion, it's makes the most sense to just call it a Coil, as the devs intended. Why do people insist on forcing real brands into a game that makes a point to have it's own unique companies and brands?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users