Photo

Bad Sport Discussion

1,725 replies to this topic
jbarb78
  • jbarb78

Ancient Gamer

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:14 AM

You make a compelling argument, but I counter the whole "disinclined to buy cash cards after being punished" bit with the fact that the sole reason people exploit the glitches, is because they were never inclined to buy the cash cards in the first place. Your options were clear from the beginning, earn the money outright or purchase it from R*. The fact that you circumvented both options is that you intend to do neither, therefore R* in reality shouldn't even consider you a potential customer anyway.

Not true, I was inclined strongly to buy a cash card before the game came out.

People exploit glitches to get money. It is hard to deny the claim that some glitch exploiters would have bought cash cards if there hadn't been glitches. I am one such glitch exploiter.

You made a big mistake in your reasoning, there were actually 3 options- buy a cash card, slave at grinding, or exploit glitches. Out of those three options, many picked the latter.

As it turned out, cash cards weren't really an option at all. So each person had only two options, slave or glitch.

My present aim was to get money with the least boring grinding. Glitch exploiting was much much faster than grinding, so of the options available, it was the best.

Had the options been different, for example, cash card or grind, I'd have got a cash card.

Totally unfollowing this thread dude, arguing over this topic has proven moot, there won't ever be an agreement here.  Move on already, your logic makes no sense to me and it never will.

stringer
  • stringer

Cash Money Millionaire

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:23 AM Edited by stringer, 02 November 2013 - 04:25 AM.

I don't understand why some people believe that Rockstar might view glitchers with $100 million in the game as a potential cash card customer. Obviously, no one who glitched that amount of money is going to buy a cash card, so I would love for someone to explain to me what Rockstar would be risking by either banning or resetting the glitchers? I see no downside for Rockstar and only an upside for the community, as it would even out the board and players wouldn't get griefed as much.

Even if they don't view them as potential cash card customers, they must certainly view them as potential DLC customers. 

The downside is that if they punish these people, then they risk having people who would not buy cash cards, but would buy DLC, become people who will not buy either. 

If someone won't buy cash cards if you punish him, and won'y buy cash cards if you don't punish him, then it makes no difference at all, from a cash-card-sales standpoint, whether you ban him. 

So, if it doesn't matter at all for cash card sales, you need to look to sales of some other thing to find a potential downside. 

That thing is DLCs. 

I for one will not buy DLCs if I am punished for glitch exploiting. But I will buy them if I am not punished. I won't buy cash cars either way. It is hard to believe that I am the only person with this disposition. 

stringer
  • stringer

Cash Money Millionaire

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:25 AM

You make a compelling argument, but I counter the whole "disinclined to buy cash cards after being punished" bit with the fact that the sole reason people exploit the glitches, is because they were never inclined to buy the cash cards in the first place. Your options were clear from the beginning, earn the money outright or purchase it from R*. The fact that you circumvented both options is that you intend to do neither, therefore R* in reality shouldn't even consider you a potential customer anyway.

People exploit glitches to get money. It is hard to deny the claim that some glitch exploiters would have bought cash cards if there hadn't been glitches. I am one such glitch exploiter.

You made a big mistake in your reasoning, there were actually 3 options- buy a cash card, slave at grinding, or exploit glitches. Out of those three options, many picked the latter.

As it turned out, cash cards weren't really an option at all. So each person had only two options, slave or glitch.

My present aim was to get money with the least boring grinding. Glitch exploiting was much much faster than grinding, so of the options available, it was the best.

Had the options been different, for example, cash card or grind, I'd have got a cash card.

Totally unfollowing this thread dude, arguing over this topic has proven moot, there won't ever be an agreement here.  Move on already, your logic makes no sense to me and it never will.

I rewrote my post in an edit. I had hoped to do it before you quoted and responded, but I wasn't quick enough. 

If there is a particular claim I make that you want me to clarify or explain further, I would be happy to do it. 

Jay_
  • Jay_

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:48 AM

Can someone link me to a working LSC glitch?

This board cracks me up. I haven't been able to play all week, can't wait to see what the multi-millionaire's club is up to.

Lol I've never glitched but I'm about to since in gonna stop playing in a few days anyway so I no longer care, but only when I find the damn glitch though gaddamn

jbarb78
  • jbarb78

Ancient Gamer

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

I rewrote my post in an edit. I had hoped to do it before you quoted and responded, but I wasn't quick enough. 

If there is a particular claim I make that you want me to clarify or explain further, I would be happy to do it.

Nah, it's like Scientology, makes no sense to me for anyone to do it, nor do I have any interest in understanding it. The more this goes back and forth, the wider the gap between players who are supposed to be getting along.

rm nalon 0991
  • rm nalon 0991

gutter rat

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

Bad sports or being busted would be better if it puts players in prison on normal servers where they have to ever pay for a crew, or there own crew to break them out or they do the time given for the crime committed.

Activities within the prison could be basketball, bare knuckle boxing, fight club, arm wrestling, assassinations, drug and controband dealing like drinks ie. beer, confectionaires basically all the stuff you could buy in the shops would become controband.

• SingleBeing likes this

Danoded
  • Danoded

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

In R* update on the newswire they said the 1.05 patch and stimulus package will be coming next week. They mentioned NOTHING about cheats and exploiters!

SingleBeing
  • SingleBeing

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Forgive me if this idea has been suggested but what If to fix bad sport for destroying a players vehicles have it so

Destroy a personal vehicle = bad sport
But.. If that player has shot at me recently in vehicle then it is disabled or if there is a bounty on their head then that also disables it.

MysticJon
  • MysticJon

Legit Player

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:48 PM Edited by MysticJon, 02 November 2013 - 04:55 PM.

R* just needs to switch personal vehicles with players. Right now I can kill as many players as I want and there are no negative consequences, but blow up some player's personal vehicle and the sh!t hits the fan. Should be the other way around. If I'm running around free mode killing players, that should be bad sport because it contributed nothing to the game and bothers other people who are just trying to play the game their way. If you feel the need to kill players, play a deathmatch. That's what its there for. Blowing up a personal vehicle should not give bad sport points, because I have to pay the insurance to replace it, which is punishment enough.

Oh and bounties need to go, completely. Bounties are pointless and don't contribute to the game in any positive way. Remove them.

Tooburns
  • Tooburns

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

i am really wondering what gonnna happen with all those car glitch, i guess we gonna know SOON to use R* word

SOHC_VTEC
  • SOHC_VTEC

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

Forget everything right now and fix that bs god mode glitch ASAP!!! This type of bs is game breaking.

B3astGTS
  • B3astGTS

Why? Because cash cards...

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

R* just needs to switch personal vehicles with players. Right now I can kill as many players as I want and there are no negative consequences, but blow up some player's personal vehicle and the sh!t hits the fan. Should be the other way around. If I'm running around free mode killing players, that should be bad sport because it contributed nothing to the game and bothers other people who are just trying to play the game their way. If you feel the need to kill players, play a deathmatch. That's what its there for. Blowing up a personal vehicle should not give bad sport points, because I have to pay the insurance to replace it, which is punishment enough.

Oh and bounties need to go, completely. Bounties are pointless and don't contribute to the game in any positive way. Remove them.

Agreed on bad sport, don't agree on the bounty. Bounties do need some modification. I'd say they should remove the auto bounties you get from stealing cars and leave the player assigned ones in.

stringer
  • stringer

Cash Money Millionaire

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

Nah, it's like Scientology, makes no sense to me for anyone to do it, nor do I have any interest in understanding it. The more this goes back and forth, the wider the gap between players who are supposed to be getting along.

That's unfortunate. As you get older, if you pursue any kind of academic achievement, you'll need to learn how to follow and do logical reasoning. 

jbarb78
  • jbarb78

Ancient Gamer

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

Lol, I'm 35 with a college degree, a career with a 100k/yr salary and a family homie, I have no problem with academics and learning. To me there's nothing logical about cheating a system, you can explain your logic until you're blue in the face, it's still cheating.

stringer
  • stringer

Cash Money Millionaire

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:53 PM Edited by stringer, 03 November 2013 - 12:12 AM.

Ok,

Once again, I'm not denying it could be moral for rockstar to punish glitch exploiters. If what they did is wrong then it could indeed be morally right for rockstar to punish them. But, rockstar isn't a church or a school, its purpose isn't the moral education of video gamers. 

On any plausible view about the dispositions of glitch exploiters, it isn't in rockstar's financial interest to punish them. This means that rockstar almost certainly wouldn't make more money if it punished them than if it didn't. 

MysticJon
  • MysticJon

Legit Player

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:07 PM Edited by MysticJon, 02 November 2013 - 11:08 PM.

Lol, I'm 35 with a college degree, a career with a 100k/yr salary and a family homie, I have no problem with academics and learning. To me there's nothing logical about cheating a system, you can explain your logic until you're blue in the face, it's still cheating.

I'm with you man. I just love when the cheaters try to defend what they're doing when in the end, cheating is cheating, period. There's no ifs ands or buts, its just cheating.

jbarb78
  • jbarb78

Ancient Gamer

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

Of course not, it's all hypothetical on both sides, which is why the argument is moot until action is taken. I'm going by posts that R* has made regarding their stance on the issue, and all signs point to them taking action. I can see where you're coming from though, just based on their so called "stimulus" disbursement.

stringer
  • stringer

Cash Money Millionaire

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

I'm with you man. I just love when the cheaters try to defend what they're doing when in the end, cheating is cheating, period. There's no ifs ands or buts, its just cheating.

What do you mean? As far as I could tell he was commenting on my post, which didn't defend cheating, but rather conceded that it might very well be punishable on moral grounds. 

stringer
  • stringer

Cash Money Millionaire

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:25 AM Edited by stringer, 03 November 2013 - 12:29 AM.

Of course not, it's all hypothetical on both sides, which is why the argument is moot until action is taken. I'm going by posts that R* has made regarding their stance on the issue, and all signs point to them taking action. I can see where you're coming from though, just based on their so called "stimulus" disbursement.

Well, I don't think this is factually true. In RDR, they punished hackers but forgave glitch exploiters. They've not released any statement indicating they plan to take any action against glitch exploiters. If anything, they've been silent. 

Many people believe that a company, especially a publicly held one (one which is owned by shareholders) has an ultimate responsibility to make profits. If Rockstar believes it has this responsibility, then it will make its decision about punishing glitch exploiters based on whether or not it should be expected to lead to greater potential profits. 

I don't believe punishing glitch exploiters would lead to making as much money as forgiving them would. 

This is because I believe that people who exploited glitches and are punished would be less likely to spend more money on the game than people who exploited glitches but aren't punished. I know as a fact that this is my own disposition, and I think it is implausible that I'm the only one with this disposition. IN my own case, if I am punished, I won't spend any money on the game, but if I am not punished, I will spend money on DLCs. 

Also, I believe that some people who exploited glitches are still potential cash card customers, since they may not have glitched enough money to see them through permanently, and also because they've already shown they have a disposition to dislike grinding for money.  

Plus, glitch exploiters who aren't punished cannot plausibly be believed to be less likely to buy DLC than non exploiters. 

To summarize once again, I am not claiming that glitch exploiting is morally right, or that punishing glitch exploiters is morally wrong. But I don't think this matters, since Rockstar isn't a school or a church, and doesn't have a responsibility to teach morality to video gamers. 

I am only claiming that it is against the profit motives of the company to do it. 

Unless you can deny one of my claims or beliefs above, it's not easy to deny this conclusion. 

In another post I explained how this conclusion helped inform my own choice to exploit glitches several weeks ago. Since I believe my conclusion, I consider there to have been an acceptable level of risk of punishment to make the large reward from exploiting glitches for money a risk worth taking. 

Nolifeloser
  • Nolifeloser

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

I don't understand why some of you guys are even playing gta. If you shouldn't be able to kill others in free roam why even allow weapons in free roam. If rockstar took your idea they would literally destroy their company.
  • ProudDunceCapOwner likes this

MysticJon
  • MysticJon

Legit Player

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

Agreed on bad sport, don't agree on the bounty. Bounties do need some modification. I'd say they should remove the auto bounties you get from stealing cars and leave the player assigned ones in.

I think the opposite regarding bounties. Bounties from stealing cars is OK, but player assigned bounties is pointless. All it does is annoy and bother people. There's no in-game reason to use the bounty system. That's why I've done it, zero times.

I don't understand why some of you guys are even playing gta. If you shouldn't be able to kill others in free roam why even allow weapons in free roam. If rockstar took your idea they would literally destroy their company.

Because there's no benefit to doing so. All killing players in free mode does is annoy other players while they're trying to play the game. You don't level up from it, you don't get money (or at least you get very little). Why do it other that to be an ass? You can just as easily run around in single player and kill NPCs and it'd be the same thing.

Nolifeloser
  • Nolifeloser

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

Mysticjon your a clown. After you level up over 100 there is no point in waiting for loading and playing tdm in a small are when you can have the whole map and use whatever vehicles you want buy ammo whenever you need call mercenaries or put out bounties. Honestly I think your playing the wrong game if your skills are so weak you cannot function in this huge map with only 15 other people you should just play racing games or sims. What is it that you are trying to accomplish in free roam that you are incapable of doing when a few people try to kill you occasionally?
  • ProudDunceCapOwner likes this

Nolifeloser
  • Nolifeloser

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:44 AM Edited by Nolifeloser, 03 November 2013 - 01:44 AM.

Jbarb i find it hard to believe that a 35 year old making 100k calls people homie.

JustHatched
  • JustHatched

Domestic Battery

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:08 AM

Some of the most ignorant people I have met have degrees (Masters and PhD), not that they aren't smart, but only smart on one thing with little real world common sense. Not saying that is in your case, but your credentials have little merit IMO.

vanguard72
  • vanguard72

GTAO

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:09 AM

Oh my god if he says 'disposition' one more time....

• Gazolene likes this

Shieldtox
  • Shieldtox

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:26 AM

Is there a way to enter super passive/invincibility mode without killing anyone?

For those who dont know what it is its basically passive mode except it includes ur vehicle and u can attack NPCs.

MysticJon
  • MysticJon

Legit Player

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:27 AM Edited by MysticJon, 03 November 2013 - 02:44 AM.

Mysticjon your a clown. After you level up over 100 there is no point in waiting for loading and playing tdm in a small are when you can have the whole map and use whatever vehicles you want buy ammo whenever you need call mercenaries or put out bounties. Honestly I think your playing the wrong game if your skills are so weak you cannot function in this huge map with only 15 other people you should just play racing games or sims. What is it that you are trying to accomplish in free roam that you are incapable of doing when a few people try to kill you occasionally?

A few people trying to kill me occasionally is one thing. I'm fine with that, but that's not how free mode has played out for me. Every time I go to free mode, every time, there's at least a couple guys traveling around the city with only the intention to kill other players for no reason. And most of these guys are not over level 100. But forget all that. Even with all of that, there's still no benefit, no in-game reason to go around killing other players in free mode. Except to annoy and just generally be an ass.

An example. The other day I was in free mode with some guys from my crew. We were at the airport doing stunt jumps and just messing around. Having fun, you know. So after about 30 minutes these two guys show up in a fire truck and we we're like, whatever, just leave them alone and lets keep doing what we're doing. Apparently they showed up just to bother us and kill us by shooting the fire truck's water gun at us. At first we tried to ignore them, but they wouldn't stop. They came to where we were with the sole intention of bothering us. So, I blew up their fire truck and then they started shooting us. So, our fun was ruined and we needed to go to an invite only session. There's no need for them to have done that and there's no need for us to have to join a new session just to play the game.

Some of the most ignorant people I have met have degrees (Masters and PhD), not that they aren't smart, but only smart on one thing with little real world common sense. Not saying that is in your case, but your credentials have little merit IMO.

I have to agree, because I know many people that are just like that. Not meaning to insult anyone, just saying that he has a point there.

vanguard72
  • vanguard72

GTAO

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:58 AM

There IS a reason they kill you for no reason.  To unlock weapon color tints.  Some unlock by killing players. It's probably easier to kill people minding their own business than during a deathmatch.  Other tints unlock with rank like Gold tint,  which is better anyway.

MysticJon
  • MysticJon

Legit Player

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:22 AM Edited by MysticJon, 03 November 2013 - 03:25 AM.

There IS a reason they kill you for no reason.  To unlock weapon color tints.  Some unlock by killing players. It's probably easier to kill people minding their own business than during a deathmatch.  Other tints unlock with rank like Gold tint,  which is better anyway.

I'm the kind of person that goes into a deathmatch to do those challenges. I mean, if I wanted to do those challenges. That's what deathmatches are there for.

And regardless, what about the guys running around in tanks or jets or with the water gun on the fire truck or running people over? They unlocking tints too?

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:01 AM

I don't understand why some people believe that Rockstar might view glitchers with $100 million in the game as a potential cash card customer. Obviously, no one who glitched that amount of money is going to buy a cash card, so I would love for someone to explain to me what Rockstar would be risking by either banning or resetting the glitchers? I see no downside for Rockstar and only an upside for the community, as it would even out the board and players wouldn't get griefed as much.

Even if they don't view them as potential cash card customers, they must certainly view them as potential DLC customers. 

The downside is that if they punish these people, then they risk having people who would not buy cash cards, but would buy DLC, become people who will not buy either. 

If someone won't buy cash cards if you punish him, and won'y buy cash cards if you don't punish him, then it makes no difference at all, from a cash-card-sales standpoint, whether you ban him. 

So, if it doesn't matter at all for cash card sales, you need to look to sales of some other thing to find a potential downside. 

That thing is DLCs. 

I for one will not buy DLCs if I am punished for glitch exploiting. But I will buy them if I am not punished. I won't buy cash cars either way. It is hard to believe that I am the only person with this disposition. 

What DLC are you referring to? At least for a while, the DLC being released will be free. I would say we're at least a year or two away from any DLC that might need to be purchased and maybe not even then if cash cards are still being purchased.

Plus, you must also consider players on the other side of the fence like me, who have vowed not to buy cash cards or DLC if they DON'T punish the glitchers. Between us, we're probably a wash, which means Rockstar is very likely going to do what's best for the community and allowing people to have a billion dollars to grief people while expecting others to be willing to purchase cash cards probably doesn't fit into that category, especially since the glitchers would completely throw on the stock market they want to introduce, as well.

Seriously, from a business standpoint, Rockstar simply cannot allow dishonest players to remain untouched with the equivalent of $1000 in cash cards and then try to get other players to pay $20 for a measly $1.25 million. Even if all of the glitchers vowed not to ever pay another cent (which most of them would never do anyway), you must consider the millions of potential future players who will adopt the game in the next few years who represent more profit.

One thing I will say on the glitchers' side -- in a sense -- is that Rockstar handled this TERRIBLY. This glitch was a HUGE exploit, especially in a game where Rockstar is counting on selling fake money. Why the hell didn't they shut down LSC Customs completely and fix it before reopening it? And why in the name of everything that is holy did they not limit the amount of money a person could have at once, at least in the beginning? Why didn't they cap it at $20 million, if not a bit less? Why allow for the ability to have a BILLION dollars from the get-go? That makes zero sense ... and now they're having to deal with the repurcussions and do much more work than was needed had they just been a little smarter about the whole thing. 

Honestly, though, I'm guessing you're an adult ... so, as an adult, why would you be upset if you were reset when a) every single video of the glitch that I've seen online (especially the first wave of them) specifically warned against possible banning of anyone who did it ... and b) that from what I understand, you broke the TOS? It doesn't seem logical to be upset when you're simply being punished for something that you at least had a feeling was wrong to do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users