Quantcast

» «
Photo

So in GTA (3d&HD) ...... America is all Islands?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you happy with just islands? (129 member(s) have cast votes)

Are islands the right way?

1. No, the formula needs to be improved to define the nation. (29 votes [20.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.86%

2. Yes, You are making an issue of something that isn't an issue. (78 votes [56.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.12%

3. Undecided; lets see how future games are handled (32 votes [23.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.02%

Vote
kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

Imma just pretend there was an earthquake that seperated LA from the rest of California.....

Sorry, I forgot that GTA is meant to be an alternate universe where the San Andreas fault running through their version of California could have had more of an effect than in the real world.

Sweettooth187
  • Sweettooth187

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

The obvious reason for GTA always being islands is that of a hardware limitation that likely won't be overcome for decades. If you surround a body of land with water, it's more believable than a body of land surrounded by impassable, un climbable mountains of imprisonment. Honestly I don't know why they even have you break down after going so far out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but in previous games you could go out as far as you wanted correct?
  • Ola441 likes this

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

In the GTA world, America is a bunch of islands.

But it's not. 

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

As soon as I read the title of the thread, I knew you were confused. So LC, or LS or VC are considered as the whole of America?

Also, this is a game. Remember that.

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

As soon as I read the title of the thread, I knew you were confused. So LC, or LS or VC are considered as the whole of America?

wow... do I really come across as that dense?

To think I was coming in here to praise your name choice after a good talk......

I am talking if these places are islands... is rockstar's vision of the U.S. mostly islands? like it was asked in the first post......

I talk in terms of LA and CA cause in my mind thats what GTA S.A. and V represent.....

you know, trying to figure out how they geographically match up to the world maps that they show in the game

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:09 PM Edited by FranklinDeRoosevelt, 16 October 2013 - 09:12 PM.

To think I was coming in here to praise your name choice after a good talk......

I am talking if these places are islands... is rockstar's vision of the U.S. mostly islands? like it was asked in the first post......

I talk in terms of LA and CA cause in my mind thats what GTA S.A. and V represent.....

you know, trying to figure out how they geographically match up to the world maps that they show in the game

Again, you are confused. I said why are you considering LS, VC and LC to be the WHOLE of America? That doesn't make sense. You can't even remember what you wrote in your thread title can you? I already know that GTA SA and V are based on LA. And what's the point in comparing it to the real life maps? The maps in GTA are mostly a parody, not 1:1 representation.

The GTA Guy
  • The GTA Guy

The Frisker

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

How I see it, the game worlds are not really surrounded by water, it's just made to look that way to make it clear to the player, where is the border of the current game world. But in the game's own reality, there is no water surroundings in every direction. The Blaine County could go on for hundreds of miles north, west, whatever, but there is water just to put clear boundary to the game world. That could explain the map of America being exactly similar to it's real life counterpart, and the cities/states in GTA world are not actually islands.

And that's just how I see it.

If it's difficult to understand, I can try to re-post and make it more clear to you :)

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:40 PM Edited by HakatoX, 16 October 2013 - 09:41 PM.

Again, you are confused. I said why are you considering LS, VC and LC to be the WHOLE of America? That doesn't make sense. You can't even remember what you wrote in your thread title can you? I already know that GTA SA and V are based on LA. And what's the point in comparing it to the real life maps? The maps in GTA are mostly a parody, not 1:1 representation.

I KNOW they are PARTS of the nation... Parodies of real cities. YET IN GAME THEY SHOW 1:1 maps of the world on the walls... THIS LEADS ONE TO BELIEVE IT IS WITHIN THE UNITED STATES

I never once said they make the whole nation....

and you think I'm confused...

I may be in California... But thats not the only place I have been...

you act as if I am living in some bubble with no concept of geography

now if you can please stop being a dick and we can get along just fine....

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

How I see it, the game worlds are not really surrounded by water, it's just made to look that way to make it clear to the player, where is the border of the current game world. But in the game's own reality, there is no water surroundings in every direction. The Blaine County could go on for hundreds of miles north, west, whatever, but there is water just to put clear boundary to the game world. That could explain the map of America being exactly similar to it's real life counterpart, and the cities/states in GTA world are not actually islands.

And that's just how I see it.

If it's difficult to understand, I can try to re-post and make it more clear to you :)

That's a pretty good way to look at it.

I never once thought to see it that way....

But that's the good thing about group discussion!

ek999
  • ek999

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

You're looking way too much into it

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

I don't really care how they do it, the map has to end somewhere. Unless they make a complete planet where you just go around in circles.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:11 AM Edited by SmoothGTA, 17 October 2013 - 12:17 AM.

in every gta the end of the map is always always endless water. Why couldnt rockstar turn all that water into some more land, then when the player reaches some point just have a huge row of trees or something and many hills behind it, giving us the thought that our Gta City ends there, Or How about A Huge road or something and block us off

I myself am getting tired of water always surrounding the maps

This topic only comes up every six months, soooo No. In GTA the world is islands. Not a big deal.

Also lmfao at the notion that endless ocean is boring, but endless desert or whatever wouldn't be.

Ok.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

We're born with nothing and we die alone

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

in every gta the end of the map is always always endless water. Why couldnt rockstar turn all that water into some more land, then when the player reaches some point just have a huge row of trees or something and many hills behind it, giving us the thought that our Gta City ends there, Or How about A Huge road or something and block us off

You need a lot video memory, ram, disk space, and processing power. That's why.

Plus what would be the point of having all that landmass for?

Look at Skyrim. Outside of the borders are a ton of empty space. On consoles that space is pretty much useless, but on PC, it is being used for a mod to create all of Tamriel. 

Unless you have an actual use for that space, it'd just be a waste.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

Btw, New York City is an island irl as is Staten Island and Brooklyn/Queens is on Long Island. Only thing is Alderny which I think is supposed to represent NJ. So Liberty City is fairly accurate using islands.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:47 AM

I think that the island is only the playable area, and that there is actually land touching the island, but you can't go there, so it doesn't appear in game and instead is represented as endless water.

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

LC being an island -- or, well, a series of islands -- made sense, but San Andreas is a state. So, the GTA map of America sees 'California' as an island not terribly unlike Hawaii. If San Fierro or Las Venturas exist in the HD universe, neither are in SA like they were in the 3D universe, which makes sense in the case of Venturas. 

Or perhaps LS and Blaine County are separated from the rest of the state. That'll likely be left to the imagination of the gamer. 

rovert
  • rovert

Los Santos Hobo

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:48 AM

The obvious reason for GTA always being islands is that of a hardware limitation that likely won't be overcome for decades. If you surround a body of land with water, it's more believable than a body of land surrounded by impassable, un climbable mountains of imprisonment. Honestly I don't know why they even have you break down after going so far out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but in previous games you could go out as far as you wanted correct?

RDR did it what are you talking about?

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:33 AM

I wanna be able to fly to the moon and get some cheese.If it just weren't for that dang Van Allen Belt....

DoubleOGJohnson
  • DoubleOGJohnson

Playa

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:55 AM

America will have to remain islands because Rockstar has left vast regions of America undone. There is no Midwest or South. Vice City is Southeastern, but deep south and southwest like Texas/Lousiana don't exist. We dont have Chicago, the largest inland city, third largest city in the country etc. They haven't done enough work to even consider joining everything and making a country. Back in 2004 though, San Andreas laid the groundwork for the series where by now (2013/2014) it should have ALREADY been far enough along to have every US region.

Instead, Rockstar took long 3/4 year gaps between each new game and did nothing but retreads. West Coast, Midwest, the South, and East Coast should ALL be done right now and Liberty City/Los Santos could have been held back for a later game to combine San Andreas/Texas/Illinois/Florida/Liberty State/Alderney altogether and that would have been ENOUGH for America. All 50 states are not relevant enough, but those 6 places would have been ALL you needed. And instead, we got stuck in remakes since GTA SA and now 2 games after GTA SA we still have NO interior American cities. The franchise isn't far enough to create a small version of the US.

ivarblaauw
  • ivarblaauw

Night Light OutlawS MC President

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

well; this is the funny part: GTA portrays US cities with fake names etc. but it uses real names of cities in other countries;

my theory is that GTA has created NEW cities next to the existing ones; cities which are created on islands far from the main land. (something like HAWAII)

in the future it is (a very, very small chance) possible that we will see Los Angeles (not Los Santos) because they exist next to each other.

otherwise: why would only the US have different city names? :)

so no; not all islands; the cities in GTA are like Hawaiian cities; they exist but on islands far from the main land; at least; my theory :)

• HakatoX likes this

Soadisthebest
  • Soadisthebest

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

America will have to remain islands because Rockstar has left vast regions of America undone. There is no Midwest or South. Vice City is Southeastern, but deep south and southwest like Texas/Lousiana don't exist. We dont have Chicago, the largest inland city, third largest city in the country etc. They haven't done enough work to even consider joining everything and making a country. Back in 2004 though, San Andreas laid the groundwork for the series where by now (2013/2014) it should have ALREADY been far enough along to have every US region.

Instead, Rockstar took long 3/4 year gaps between each new game and did nothing but retreads. West Coast, Midwest, the South, and East Coast should ALL be done right now and Liberty City/Los Santos could have been held back for a later game to combine San Andreas/Texas/Illinois/Florida/Liberty State/Alderney altogether and that would have been ENOUGH for America. All 50 states are not relevant enough, but those 6 places would have been ALL you needed. And instead, we got stuck in remakes since GTA SA and now 2 games after GTA SA we still have NO interior American cities. The franchise isn't far enough to create a small version of the US.

How would you know how far along it should be? Do you design games or run a game publishing company? I didn't think so.

Ravey Davey
  • Ravey Davey

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

The difference with RDR is that you couldn't fly, so an 'invisible wall' wasn't too frustrating. But imagine flying out over the desert, being able to see miles and miles more land in front of you... then hitting the invisible wall. It would very quickly get annoying and everyone would be on R*'s case to complain. Water makes the most sense.
  • Doland J. Trump likes this

Excolis
  • Excolis

Well,...

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:22 PM Edited by Excolis, 17 October 2013 - 05:23 PM.

Liberty-Map.png

Map shown in a TV program in IV. The big star in the east is LC, the big star in the west LS. (ignore the red box) The cities and states are meant to be actual parts of the land mass, but they are islands due to technical reasons.

That's my thoughts exactly.... I just want a land mass that isn't an island...

i dont remember GTA4 being an island. 

yer right... it's three islands....

i had thought alderney was an actual state, i was wrong lol. its 7 islands in total 3 major 4 minor

Alderney is an independent US state.

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Spilled coffee on Laptop. no more mods

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

First off its bit all of America. Just one state, and yeah it is weird they're all islands but it's either that or invisible walls which no one likes. There are other states like North Yankton which is apparently North Dakota.

As for other cities to explore, I doubt they would use Carcer because its suppose to be a real dump of a city, and we're talking pre man hunt. Technically there is still San Fierro, Venturas, and a Vice to explore. I don't see VC happening anytime soon, but the other two could be likely. I know a more updated Las Venturas would be amazing. Maybe they will combine Fierro and Venturas who knows, although we still need some wilderness in there.

I don't think Rockstar will be creating any new maps in the near future, as they have Online to focus on and what ever else future single player DLC we may or may not get.

North Yanktown is in Canada

looks and feels more like north dakota...

davetopper
  • davetopper

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

So let me get this straight. You want a map this is landlocked with about 40% but no less than thirty percent of land you can't get at, is that it? Much like RDR. 

And now we have a map that is surrounded by water that you can explore but that is limited to roughly 40% but no less than thirty that you can get at.

So, I looked at this last night and a raging headache took place because really I couldn't for the life of me wrap my mind around the idea that there is any difference whatsoever.

Then there was the idea that states have to be surrounded by states. I think in this thread only two people mentioned Hawaii as an example of why that isn't true.  

The current state of San Andreas, give it the 51st state or the 53rd of this universe including the state of Liberty. Which ever it may be. 51st or 53rd. And San Andreas is a military installation, location is everything, like Hawaii.

It isn't hard to imagine that the state of San Andreas is a military post in the Pacific somewhere. Probably further north than Hawaii. 

The state of Liberty had no military presence. But even with that it wasn't hard to think of it, because of the way it just was, as a penal colony.  

I always envisioned Liberty City as it was portrayed in GTA IV as just that. It was much like Escape From New York more than anything. 

That being said however the vast list of movies that can be attributed to the GTA series, including V is rather lengthy. 

I do not have the time or patience ( at least I think ) but I hope that youtubers use the content creator as a set director and make some epic movies using that tool. 

Udrift
  • Udrift

SA Enthusiast

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

Another vote for islands. Anything else would feel more contained.

When I think about playing GTA San Andreas, I never felt like I wanted more space or wished something was out in the water. I flew the planes a few times as far as I could, figured out what would happen, and never thought of it again.

I never felt like I had to keep on going out in the ocean around Las Venturas. But if there was land instead of the water, I feel like every time I reached the edge of the city, even if there was 5 miles of empty land, I was at a border.

I would feel very empty when I got to the city edge. "Oh, okay, time to turn around".  The island and water seems to create a boundary that is less noticeable for me.

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

I would like to see a land border, as opposed to water, just need to figure out a way to stop players from going too far, maybe some sort of natural or man made disaster that kills the player, say a nuclear fallout or something...

SavageSalad
  • SavageSalad

#nojetpack

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:54 PM Edited by SavageSalad, 17 October 2013 - 06:55 PM.

The maps are always islands for gameplay reasons. In the canon of the series the world looks the way it does in ours. However it does look like the ice caps melted and flooded most of the continents which could explain the islands also...

0_0.jpg

Now that I look at it, florida is underwater!!! That means Vice City doesn't exist.

Scampi
  • Scampi

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

That's pretty funny about Florida. Either they inadvertently used an incorrect map or someone airbrushed it out. Maybe that's why Moorehead ended up moving to LS. j/k

But I think it is important to remember that the maps in the games are just approximations of the reality of the game world. The Glory Hole Theme Park is mentioned in SA and LCS as existing in the state of San Andreas, but in the actual game of SA it is nowhere to be found. You can't really look at the maps as being 100% literal interpretations of the places because on the PS2 there were too many technical limitations, and there still are today. But you still have to use your imagination and assume somewhere in that state the Glory Hole is still there, it's just not shown to the player. Just like you would assume in the entire state there are more than just ten little country towns scattered around. I like to expand that and just assume the entire landmass is connected to the rest of America but because it's a game we just aren't shown that because at the time it wasn't necessary or technically feasible.

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

I gotta say...

thank you guys! this topic has covered so many angles I have never thought of.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users