Quantcast

» «
Photo

So in GTA (3d&HD) ...... America is all Islands?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you happy with just islands? (129 member(s) have cast votes)

Are islands the right way?

1. No, the formula needs to be improved to define the nation. (29 votes [20.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.86%

2. Yes, You are making an issue of something that isn't an issue. (78 votes [56.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.12%

3. Undecided; lets see how future games are handled (32 votes [23.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.02%

Vote
HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

The country is composed of a large amount of islands?

I get that it is easier to use water to border an area.

But at some point are we going to see connected states?

I would also like to know what other cities they have to explore other than Carcer city.....

Jimmy Darmody
  • Jimmy Darmody

Don

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

I believe that we are going to see connected states. Like mountains edges sorta like RDR. If you try to cross it then your plane or car breaks down or you instantly get so much heat in your ass you can't survive for long...

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

I believe that we are going to see connected states. Like mountains edges sorta like RDR. If you try to cross it then your plane or car breaks down or you instantly get so much heat in your ass you can't survive for long...

I really like that idea.

I think the ocean in GTA V is a good example of handling borders.

Uhwoahnohuh
  • Uhwoahnohuh

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

in every gta the end of the map is always always endless water. Why couldnt rockstar turn all that water into some more land, then when the player reaches some point just have a huge row of trees or something and many hills behind it, giving us the thought that our Gta City ends there, Or How about A Huge road or something and block us off

I myself am getting tired of water always surrounding the maps

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

i dont remember GTA4 being an island. 

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:17 PM Edited by HakatoX, 16 October 2013 - 06:19 PM.

in every gta the end of the map is always always endless water. Why couldnt rockstar turn all that water into some more land, then when the player reaches some point just have a huge row of trees or something and many hills behind it, giving us the thought that our Gta City ends there, Or How about A Huge road or something and block us off

That's my thoughts exactly.... I just want a land mass that isn't an island...

yer right... it's three islands....

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:19 PM Edited by jamieleng, 16 October 2013 - 06:27 PM.

Of course the USA isn't an archipelago in the GTA Universe's. Liberty City makes more sense as an island than San Andreas, but they are islands for practical reasons. We've seen the map of the USA in the HD universe & it looks like it does in the real world.

If Liberty City, or Vice City are added to GTA Online, I very much doubt they will be on one map. Having LC right next to SA would look silly.

streetx1xracer
  • streetx1xracer

F*kn magnets, how do they work?

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

I really like that idea.

It's a terrible idea because we will always feel closed off. The maps of Gta are made as islands so we will be fully immersed and we will not feel "closed off" compared to rdr.
  • Blisteryship006 and Udrift like this

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:23 PM Edited by HakatoX, 16 October 2013 - 06:23 PM.

Of course the USA isn't an archipelago in the GTA Universe's. Liberty City makes more sense as an island than San Andreas, but they are islands for practical reasons. We've seen the map of the USA in the HD universe & it looks like it does in the real world.

Right... but how does the map of SA and LC fit into that real map of the U.S.A.

I really like that idea.

It's a terrible idea because we will always feel closed off. The maps of Gta are made as islands so we will be fully immersed and we will not feel "closed off" compared to rdr.

I don't feel that way at all... I think the formula of islands... makes it more of a fantasy land instead a part of the United States.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

That's my thoughts exactly.... I just want a land mass that isn't an island...

yer right... it's three islands....

i had thought alderney was an actual state, i was wrong lol. its 7 islands in total 3 major 4 minor

walkingsickness
  • walkingsickness

Mr. "Blow Your Head Off"

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

You're kidding right? Of course you are I forgot what website I was on for a sec..

Suppa K
  • Suppa K

PC or die'

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

First off its bit all of America. Just one state, and yeah it is weird they're all islands but it's either that or invisible walls which no one likes. There are other states like North Yankton which is apparently North Dakota.

As for other cities to explore, I doubt they would use Carcer because its suppose to be a real dump of a city, and we're talking pre man hunt. Technically there is still San Fierro, Venturas, and a Vice to explore. I don't see VC happening anytime soon, but the other two could be likely. I know a more updated Las Venturas would be amazing. Maybe they will combine Fierro and Venturas who knows, although we still need some wilderness in there.

I don't think Rockstar will be creating any new maps in the near future, as they have Online to focus on and what ever else future single player DLC we may or may not get.

M0B5TA
  • M0B5TA

#swag yolo lolz

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

just an idea.. would be cool if one side was "endless water" and the other side of the map was "endless land" and there would be some type of state/counter border that when passed you get killed by border patrol

Raiden雷電
  • Raiden雷電

I Am Lightning, The Rain Transformed

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Endless Desert would have been a better way to go imo.

• theGTAking101 likes this

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

They fit exactly where you expect them to, where their real life counterparts are located.

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:36 PM Edited by HakatoX, 16 October 2013 - 06:38 PM.

just an idea.. would be cool if one side was "endless water" and the other side of the map was "endless land" and there would be some type of state/counter border that when passed you get killed by border patrol

Yes... this was how Dayz was handled and it really works well

They fit exactly where you expect them to, where their real life counterparts are located.

I dont see LA or any part of California surrounded by water......

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

I don't see a problem with it. Its never once bothered me that each place is an island. No matter how big the land is, it'll always be surrounded by water, just as every piece of land is in real life.

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:39 PM Edited by HakatoX, 16 October 2013 - 06:50 PM.

I don't see a problem with it. Its never once bothered me that each place is an island. No matter how big the land is, it'll always be surrounded by water, just as every piece of land is in real life.

yeah but that is a continent!

Not a state or province.....

• rovert likes this

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hawaii and Prince Edward Island would like a word with you.

• shawt22 likes this

SantosGTA
  • SantosGTA

Los Santos

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

pl3Szhd.jpg

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:12 PM Edited by HakatoX, 16 October 2013 - 07:13 PM.

Hawaii and Prince Edward Island would like a word with you.

Cause you have my name I won't be a too much a dick.......

the topic is ISLANDS

I already was talking of islands and that guy brought up CONTINENTS!!

open mouth

insert foot

commence swallowing leg....

pl3Szhd.jpg

Where on that map is LC and SA?

Scampi
  • Scampi

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

I would prefer connected land masses like in RDR as opposed to islands. There are several times in V where they show the map of the US and it looks just like it does in real life (maps on computer screens in Zancudo and on one TV commercial at least). One advertisement says the Great Senora Desert is actually 400 miles wide. I think that would have made a great barrier for the eastern side of the map. You drive out too far your vehicle breaks, and if you continue walking you either get attacked by an invincible animal or you just drop dead, presumably from "heat exhaustion". I have not tried it yet in V but I believe it's the same general idea if you swim too far out to sea.

It just makes me wonder how it will work when they decide to add more cities to online. Will they still be isolated islands and you have to use the airport to warp between them, or will they all be present on one giant map? If it's the latter then surely they will have to re-draw the boundaries. If for say Las Venturas is added and would be placed east of V's map, what happens to the eastern coast on the current map (Cape Catfish, etc.)? It will be interesting to see how they work that out, but generally I think with IV and V they have moved toward more believability but the island concept feels outdated and cartoony now. It's good for a game play perspective since there are no unreachable areas, but for world building purposes it's kind of silly.

I came across this map someone made imagining what San Andreas would look like if it were comparable to real life California. I think a similar idea could work for a game. If I had to chose between invisible walls or islands I'd pick the walls. I wasn't really bothered by them in Fallout 3.

http://catalite.webs.com/SAmap.JPG

• HakatoX likes this

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

First off its bit all of America. Just one state, and yeah it is weird they're all islands but it's either that or invisible walls which no one likes. There are other states like North Yankton which is apparently North Dakota.

As for other cities to explore, I doubt they would use Carcer because its suppose to be a real dump of a city, and we're talking pre man hunt. Technically there is still San Fierro, Venturas, and a Vice to explore. I don't see VC happening anytime soon, but the other two could be likely. I know a more updated Las Venturas would be amazing. Maybe they will combine Fierro and Venturas who knows, although we still need some wilderness in there.

I don't think Rockstar will be creating any new maps in the near future, as they have Online to focus on and what ever else future single player DLC we may or may not get.

North Yanktown is in Canada

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

I would prefer connected land masses like in RDR as opposed to islands. There are several times in V where they show the map of the US and it looks just like it does in real life (maps on computer screens in Zancudo and on one TV commercial at least). One advertisement says the Great Senora Desert is actually 400 miles wide. I think that would have made a great barrier for the eastern side of the map. You drive out too far your vehicle breaks, and if you continue walking you either get attacked by an invincible animal or you just drop dead, presumably from "heat exhaustion". I have not tried it yet in V but I believe it's the same general idea if you swim too far out to sea.

It just makes me wonder how it will work when they decide to add more cities to online. Will they still be isolated islands and you have to use the airport to warp between them, or will they all be present on one giant map? If it's the latter then surely they will have to re-draw the boundaries. If for say Las Venturas is added and would be placed east of V's map, what happens to the eastern coast on the current map (Cape Catfish, etc.)? It will be interesting to see how they work that out, but generally I think with IV and V they have moved toward more believability but the island concept feels outdated and cartoony now. It's good for a game play perspective since there are no unreachable areas, but for world building purposes it's kind of silly.

I came across this map someone made imagining what San Andreas would look like if it were comparable to real life California. I think a similar idea could work for a game. If I had to chose between invisible walls or islands I'd pick the walls. I wasn't really bothered by them in Fallout 3.

GREAT POST !!!

this is most of the points that run through my head thinking about the GTA borders

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

GREAT POST !!!

this is most of the points that run through my head thinking about the GTA borders

I really don't have a problem with it being islands, it's the way it's always been. After playing Fuel, I'd hate a full map of San Andreas, some grassy areas, some desert, Liberty City, then to the south with a load of countryside, Vice City. It'd get incredibly boring incredibly fast.

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

I still need to see where LC and SA actually fit in the US map....

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

In the GTA world, America is a bunch of islands.

• theGTAking101 likes this

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

THIS!

I can't help but to think the same thing, yet they put full maps of the IRL world and US ... but there is no defining lines of GTA cities that are clearly islands.

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

THIS!

I can't help but to think the same thing, yet they put full maps of the IRL world and US ... but there is no defining lines of GTA cities that are clearly islands.

If you want to know why they're islands, Los Santos was always seperated by a body of water from San Fierro and Las Venturas, the San Andreas fault could've spread, or split or something. They're definitely there as Los Santos and Blaine County are referred too as "Southern San Andreas", we've just not had an explanation yet.

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

Imma just pretend there was an earthquake that seperated LA from the rest of California.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users