19 replies to this topic
Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

I know there is a topic 'Best developer of this generation' but that is for one only for developers and two a poll. This is for serious discussion regarding the current-generation (7th) as a whole, and how would you rate it and do you think it was better than the previous (6th) gen. Considering that the next-gen consoles are just around the corner.

For me, I am a 2000's kid (I was born in 2000) and gaming itself for me started in the PS2 era/the sixth generation/the previous generation. I grew up with games such as GTA: Vice City, Halo: Combat Evolved, Midtown Madness 2, GTA: San Andreas etc and I prefer the previous-gen simply because of the nostalgia and because Single player was the main importance back in the day.

Now, I am not a fan of multiplayer at all, but unfortunately developers think otherwise. A fine example being GTA V, where I heard that a lot of content was left for Online.

I dislike the Games for Windows service and all those multiplayer platforms as I'd like to call it, like origin. Whenever I install a game, I need to sign up for some things which I really don't need to play the game. At these points I wonder, Why can't gaming go back to the PS2 era? Where all you needed to do was pop in the CD, install the game and bam play. So simple.

The quality of games has increased by a big jump which is great. Developers are pushing consoles to the limits, again GTA V is a fine example. Both graphically (Crysis 3, Far Cry 3) and gameplay-wise (GTA V, Red Dead Redemption) which is fantastic however at the same time developers are becoming more money-minded (For example pre-order bonuses etc)

Another good example for money-minded developers is Call of Duty which has been on a downward spiral ever since COD 4 and World at War. The games have been the same every year with no change except for the story.

We did witness the birth of new IP's this gen, Assassins Creed, Uncharted being some of the fine examples. I personally love AC and definitely one of the best new IP's this generation.

Hitman: Absolution was certainly a pretty under appreciated game this generation. Yes, it didn't feel like a Hitman game but it was certainly a fun game nonetheless.

Fallout and The Elder Scrolls received upgrades this generation. Fallout 3, the first one since the fifth generation with a graphical and gameplay upgrades along with Oblivion and Skyrim.

GTA has been great this gen, GTA IV was a great game for me and GTA V certainly looks that way. However I'll reserve my judgement for V when I play it.

Both the PS3 and the 360 sold well this generation, each were successful in their own departments. The next gen doesn't look that way, though with the Xbox one being cited as a flop.

The Wii U however can be considered disappointing, from a company which  has developed a master pieces such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario bros. etc you'd have certainly expected much more, however what remains to be seen is whether Nintendo will bounce back next-gen.

Overall, I enjoyed this gen but I feel that developers are getting lured away by money and focusing more on MP, Overall I'd rate this generation a solid 8/10. I'd rate the previous gen a solid 9.5/10.  Simply because of the nostalgia and the fact that games weren't focused on MP and developers weren't money-minded.

• Finite likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

Seventh gen: Small number of omfg super awesome games that beat anything from sixth gen, and a lot of meh games/sequels that just get ruined trying to cater to a broader audience. But I am very satisfied.

skittlez86
  • skittlez86

Homie

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:08 AM

still loving the dreamcast 

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Good writing for a 12-13 year old!

I think the 7th generation was, in a great extent, made of disappointments. Beginning from the producer's emphasis on creating as much of first-person shooters as possible (thank you, Call of Duty), a greater pressure on the multiplayer modes rather than the single player modes (again, thank you, Call of Duty), low number of innovative games, rather poor sequels to good franchises (MGS4, GTAIV, Fable 2 and 3, Splinter Cell: Double Agent & Conviction, etc.), and poor choice of games overall. Shortly, current generation was pretty much underwhelming.

6th generation, on the contrary, was a generation of innovation and variety. We had a wide choice of many, many interesting titles (for example, we had three GTA games + two PSP spin-offs!), plenty of them were innovative (so they made you go 'wow' about each and everyone of them), there wasn't any emphasis on the online modes - it was all single player experience. It was much better, definitely.

• B Dawg likes this

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:36 PM Edited by redx165, 19 October 2013 - 07:51 PM.

6th gen destroys this gen in ALMOST every way that a game matter. 

This gen only focuses on graphics and Multiplayer with most of the game being the same repetitive sh*t. Sure there were a few good games that blow last gen out the water but that doesn't make up for the MANY other repetitive games this gen has. Last Gen had way more different types of games with their MAIN FOCUS being Single Player and content first. 

• B Dawg likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:46 PM Edited by AceKingston, 19 October 2013 - 06:47 PM.

6th gen destroys this gen in ALMOST every way that a game matter. 

This gen only focuses on graphics and Multiplayer with most of the game being the same repetitive sh*t. Sure there were a few good games the blow last gen out the water but that doesn't make up for the MANY other repetitive games this gen has. Last Gen had way more different types of games with their MAIN FOCUS being Single Player and content first. 

For once you and I are in the same boat eh? I agree with the point about Multiplayer, especially.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

I don't tend to think much about which gen was the golden age of gaming.  Chances are pretty much every gen has had plenty of games I've loved.  For the same reason I just do not understand why people seem to think Nintendo has to make their consoles the same exact way as Sony or Microsoft in order to be next gen.  Graphics almost always age, and old games can even look nicer than they do today, so I'd rather they focus more on gameplay.  Unfortunately it seems they're going a safer route with the touchpad while I thought there was so much more potential to be had with motion controls.  Skyward Sword and the No More Heroes games were a lot of fun.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:50 AM Edited by Secura, 20 October 2013 - 04:54 AM.

The Seventh Generation smashes the Sixth to pieces, the games though good simply cannot compete with the industry's standard today, nostalgia doesn't play a role in this, at all, and if it does than your opinion is inherently flawed. You cannot simply declare one generation of gaming better than another for purely nostalgic purposes. 

I know for a fact that there's a reason I play on a PC and PS3, and not the Super Nintendo or the Sega Genesis. That's because games are simply better. There's no denying that Ocarina of Time was one of the Fifth Generation's greatest triumphs, but it isn't even close to being a good game by today's standards. It's a broken, glitchy mess with terrible texture quality, awful controls and a sub-par story. It's time to remove those rose-tinted glasses and look at the game for what it really is, yes it brought me and many of my friends hours of joy and entertainment, and yes it blew me away with all of its technical feats and triumphs, but when compared to the games of 2013 such as The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Bioshock Infinite and The Stanley Parable it looks like a rotting carcass.

Now, there are three games, only three, that I will ever consider perfect. The first of those is Shadow of The Collosus, that game and everything inside of it is perfection, there is not a moment in that game that is not perfect in every conceivable way, the graphical style is unique and beautiful, so much so that it continues to make my jaw drop to this day. I could go on for hours typing out a ten thousand word essay on everything that SOTC does right but here's not time nor place for that, instead simply know that it was the first game I'd ever played that I consider perfect in every imaginable way. 

The second? Portal. I'm not going to elaborate on that because anyone that's played Portal would agree that for what the game is, it is perfection. 

The last and my personal favourite is Red Dead Redemption. There has not and I doubt there ever will be a game that manages to invoke so many strong emotions within me as a player, at once. From excitement to worry, to wonder and discovery, and at last to elation and sadness. The game shares many traits with Portal and SOTC, IE; the graphics aren't the most important part of the game, but they will never age in the way that many other game's do, they have a tone, a style, a feeling that will never be forgotten and is inherently present from the moment the logo pops up on your TV.

The gameplay, is perfect in every way. I have never and I doubt I ever will feel like as much of Western Legend than when I first stepped into and last stepped out of the shoes of John Marston. Who is, in my opinion, the single greatest videogame character of all time. The game to me is perfect and it is the last game I feel that I will ever be able to declare as such. The seventh generation has been the biggest, longest and most innovative generation to date, to compare it to a real life event? The Seventh Generation is the gaming equivalent of the Industrial Revolution and the affects of the actions made during it will undoubtedly still be felt decades maybe even centuries from now.

Two of those games, the ones I view as perfect, are seventh generation titles, only one is a sixth and that sixth generation title is available for me to play anytime I want on both the seventh and eight generation of machines. It is for that reason that I came to the conclusion that I did. In terms of simply what a generation did for its medium and what legacy it leaves behind as well as the content that it gave us, the Seventh Generation has unanimous victory over its predecessor, and there really isn't any other way that this could have gone.

The Seventh is the generation that changed everything, the Sixth, was merely a stepping stone by comparison.

• Vercetti42 likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

Can't quote your post because quoting posts is terrible on the new forum.

I'm not saying the technical aspect of sixth-gen is better than the seventh-gen. I'm just saying for it's time the sixth-gen was a revolution. 3D video games became more popular. GTA came to life with 3. Half-Life 2, one of the best PC exclusives in history was released. The PS2, the best selling video game console released,  The first portable console was the DS, was released in 2004. The first portable 3D console, the PSP was released. The Xbox was born.

While in the seventh-gen: GTA IV was the first HD GTA game released, the first 3D Fallout was released, consoles were upgraded once again, Oblivion bought TES into limelight and Assassins Creed was born.

Also, for me if developers were not so focused on MP I'd have rated the 7th gen higher. Sixth-gen made the 7th gen possible, for example. GTA III made GTA IV possible.

But again, it's all personal opinion.

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:22 AM Edited by <Yang3, 20 October 2013 - 05:28 AM.

The Seventh Generation smashes the Sixth to pieces, the games though good simply cannot compete with the industry's standard today, nostalgia doesn't play a role in this, at all, and if it does than your opinion is inherently flawed. You cannot simply declare one generation of gaming better than another for purely nostalgic purposes. 

I know for a fact that there's a reason I play on a PC and PS3, and not the Super Nintendo or the Sega Genesis. That's because games are simply better. There's no denying that Ocarina of Time was one of the Fifth Generation's greatest triumphs, but it isn't even close to being a good game by today's standards. It's a broken, glitchy mess with terrible texture quality, awful controls and a sub-par story. It's time to remove those rose-tinted glasses and look at the game for what it really is, yes it brought me and many of my friends hours of joy and entertainment, and yes it blew me away with all of its technical feats and triumphs, but when compared to the games of 2013 such as The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Bioshock Infinite and The Stanley Parable it looks like a rotting carcass.

Now, there are three games, only three, that I will ever consider perfect. The first of those is Shadow of The Collosus, that game and everything inside of it is perfection, there is not a moment in that game that is not perfect in every conceivable way, the graphical style is unique and beautiful, so much so that it continues to make my jaw drop to this day. I could go on for hours typing out a ten thousand word essay on everything that SOTC does right but here's not time nor place for that, instead simply know that it was the first game I'd ever played that I consider perfect in every imaginable way. 

The second? Portal. I'm not going to elaborate on that because anyone that's played Portal would agree that for what the game is, it is perfection. 

The last and my personal favourite is Red Dead Redemption. There has not and I doubt there ever will be a game that manages to invoke so many strong emotions within me as a player, at once. From excitement to worry, to wonder and discovery, and at last to elation and sadness. The game shares many traits with Portal and SOTC, IE; the graphics aren't the most important part of the game, but they will never age in the way that many other game's do, they have a tone, a style, a feeling that will never be forgotten and is inherently present from the moment the logo pops up on your TV.

The gameplay, is perfect in every way. I have never and I doubt I ever will feel like as much of Western Legend than when I first stepped into and last stepped out of the shoes of John Marston. Who is, in my opinion, the single greatest videogame character of all time. The game to me is perfect and it is the last game I feel that I will ever be able to declare as such. The seventh generation has been the biggest, longest and most innovative generation to date, to compare it to a real life event? The Seventh Generation is the gaming equivalent of the Industrial Revolution and the affects of the actions made during it will undoubtedly still be felt decades maybe even centuries from now.

Two of those games, the ones I view as perfect, are seventh generation titles, only one is a sixth and that sixth generation title is available for me to play anytime I want on both the seventh and eight generation of machines. It is for that reason that I came to the conclusion that I did. In terms of simply what a generation did for its medium and what legacy it leaves behind as well as the content that it gave us, the Seventh Generation has unanimous victory over its predecessor, and there really isn't any other way that this could have gone.

The Seventh is the generation that changed everything, the Sixth, was merely a stepping stone by comparison.

I second your opinion.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

OoT a broken glitchy mess with bad controls?  It's definitely not my favorite Zelda game and it is overrated but I'd hardly call it that.  If anything it is on par with both the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games we got this gen are absolutely filled with bugs and very choppy animation, and even then I'd say that the latter are worse about it.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:44 AM Edited by Tycek, 20 October 2013 - 05:16 PM.

Saying that 6th generation was better because games were directed on SP is a bit of an ignorance. Games were directed in such a way, not because of personal favor of developers, but because of possibility or rather lack of it to make multiplayer. Back in the days it was only split screen or console linking, which made a lot of problems. First Xbox changed everything with its internet connection and marketplace. World moved on and so are the developers of the consoles and games. Today many people living in first or second world have internet connections, so it was natural to use it. And that's one of the things that is better today.

Internet in the consoles gave players places where you can download new demos, add-ons for your beloved game or whole games if you don't want to leave your home. Sure it caused pathology known as milking, but that one of the bad sides. Games are also more buggy, due to laziness (why make game almost perfect, when you can patch it), but it's making a lot of things easier. Game breaking bug could kill a game from the previous gen and many glitches and bugs stayed unfixed (it's not true that those games didn't need patches).  

Without internet connection games like LBP wouldn't be possible. Would you like to not play it and share or download other people's content? World turned into global village and the consoles became our connectors. You want to play with people from Japan, share your hard work or just download something new? Now, you can.

Seventh generation also brought new level of mechanics, which were possible due to new hardware (Havok, Euphoria and similar engines weren't working back then). Due to that games became simply better and more pleasant to play. Would you like to give all of it just to get back? I wouldn't.

You can say that 7th gen brought up all kinds of unnecessary sequels ruining the game industry. Well, it's a bit of true, but previous gens weren't bringing always fresh original titles. Truth is even the best original title can sell very poorly (Brutal Legend, Psychonauts, etc.), when well known sequel will always sell well (CoD, Battlefield). Problem lies not in developers, but in us unfortunately. If we would buy more fresh titles, we would get more of them. Since CoD will always sell in enormous numbers, developers are serving us the well known dish for the hundredth time.

Summing this up, seventh gen brought many positive changes along with some problems, that could be easily fixed. Others gens were exactly the same in such a manner, so it's in fact circle of life.  

• B Dawg likes this

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:20 PM Edited by Joe Chip, 20 October 2013 - 03:34 PM.

Sixth generation (and fifth as well, although I didn't see very much of that one as a kid) all the way.

I'm going to sound like a crotchety old man, but being forced into single player made you more creative, and it made you savor the game for what it was. You bought a game and knew what it was capable of, no DLC was going to be released in a few months or so, and no patches were gonna update your game to a new version.

Also I really like 3d platformers, and I haven't seen very many that I like this generation.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:54 AM Edited by Secura, 21 October 2013 - 11:58 AM.

Sixth generation (and fifth as well, although I didn't see very much of that one as a kid) all the way.

I'm going to sound like a crotchety old man, but being forced into single player made you more creative, and it made you savor the game for what it was. You bought a game and knew what it was capable of, no DLC was going to be released in a few months or so, and no patches were gonna update your game to a new version.

Also I really like 3d platformers, and I haven't seen very many that I like this generation.

Am I the only person here who thinks that patches and DLC are a good thing? At least when they're done well, they help keep the game working, fix bugs and add a lot of new bonus content to boot. 

Not to mention that thanks to the online capabilites of the Seventh Generation the gaming world became more alive and connected than ever, I can guarantee you that I've had more fun mucking about with my mates in GTA Online than I ever had passing the controller back and forth on my old SNES.

Also, your argument is so incredibly flawed because it acts as if you can't get a basic understanding of any modern game because many have large online aspects. Easy solution would be to just ignore the small patches that would FIX your game (though I have no earthly idea why anyone would want to do that) and uh, just have the self-control to not buy every piece of DLC that comes out for the games that you buy. 

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:23 PM Edited by Fireman, 21 October 2013 - 12:28 PM.

The DLC's isn't a bad thing (after all you aren't FORCED to buy it). However they contain so very little and insignificant things that it almost makes it worthless.

Since DLC I've hardly seen any solid, longer than 2 hours expansions, instead we get seperate missions with one new area, or one new item, it seems like developers have gotten lazy with trying to milk out their games. Where we used to get expansions of nearly the same length as the original campaigns, we now get half-arsed levels (sometimes even being taken out of the game previously, then added as DLC). Some of the worst being the DLC from Dead Island (that was this gen right?).

The multiplayer and online features of consoles clearly supported the above and more, which in my opinion was initially a good thing. However as the popularity of multiplayer games went up, more and more games started focusing on multiplayer, even when it was a singleplayer franchise, which bugged me a lot (I mainly play singleplayer, except for FPS). We got a few very badly-written single-player campaigns; "because everyone will be playing multiplayer anyway". Even though the possibility to make a good single-player game was still there.

I felt a lot of the creativity was missing this gen (with the exceptions being VERY OBVIOUS), games being mainly clones of eachother like with the SNES 2D-sidescrolling combat games. The rise of the indie market and crowdfunders like Kickstarter fixed some of this and will hopefully continue to do so. Though they also brought those f*cking piece of sh*t waves of indie games in pixelart. Games whcih could've been made 20 years ago and yet still get great reviews and a fanbase from somewhere. I got no explanation for that.

Question: Did you guys game more this or last generation?

Also, The Witcher, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, God of War.

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

Early years of current-gen were best. We finally got out of the habit of sh*t gameplay mechanics (no camera movement in GTA 3 and VC? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?) and got into good graphics etc, all without today's microtransaction bullsh*t.
  • B Dawg likes this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

OoT a broken glitchy mess with bad controls?  It's definitely not my favorite Zelda game and it is overrated but I'd hardly call it that.  If anything it is on par with both the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games we got this gen are absolutely filled with bugs and very choppy animation, and even then I'd say that the latter are worse about it.

In 1998 OoT, ran incredibly smooth for a game with such a huge (at the time) 3D game map, that was on top of being large populated by interactive characters.  It did things that games of the time just didn't do, and are now standard in most third person action games.

To compare Ocarina of Time with current generation games is like comparing the Wright brothers' plane with a 747.  There are hundreds of 747s in the world now, and they fly far better, but without that first wood and canvas plane we wouldn't have jumbo jets.  The love for OoT has far more to do with it's impact on the gaming industry than how well it holds up to current generation games.  But I do agree with you, it's not my favorite Zelda game either.  A Link to the Past will always be my favorite.  But the reason I still enjoy OoT is because it took what ALttP did on a 2D map, and did the same, and more, on a 3D map.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:30 PM Edited by Andreas., 21 October 2013 - 07:31 PM.

Am I the only person here who thinks that patches and DLC are a good thing? At least when they're done well, they help keep the game working, fix bugs and add a lot of new bonus content to boot.

You are certainly not the only one around here who thinks that patches and DLCs are a good thing. Honestly, I am rather opposed towards both of them, but especially the latter one simply because of what some developers are doing nowadays.

Patches are useful, because you can fix bugs, glitches and game-breaking errors that were not expected prior the release of the game. It's not a thing that was introduced with the release of the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, they already existed in the previous console generation, but they were not as present. And here comes my point why I'm sort of against them; because of developers that don't seem to care about the quality of their videogames. Patches often seem to encourage certain developers to not ensure that their games are working flawlessly. They would rather rush them, and if sh*t doesn't work the way it is supposed to work, they release it on time nonetheless, and release patches afterwards. Publishers should not care about the time schedule or anything like that, they should let developers iron out all the errors before they release the damn game. But thinking about it further, I can not blame them for doing this. It's the customers who don't care whether a game is bugged like hell, because, you know, there will be eventually patches!

Now to DLCs. If they are adding substantial content to the game, then they are absolutely fine. Rockstar did exactly this with GTA IV. Both, The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony, were absolutely amazing add-ons. They were worth every cent they cost, and perhaps even the best add-ons you could ever get. RDR's Undead Nightmare was a high quality DLC as well that was worth its money. However, as you might know, there are developers out there who basically microtransact the sh*t out of their games. If I remember correctly, Sleeping Dogs had over 50 DLCs, though, that's an extreme example now, to be fair. I do not support such things. This was one of the reasons why I had not purchased the game. Honestly, I bought only a couple of DLCs in my life, and that were IV's TLaD and TBoGT.

To make it short, the concept of patches and DLCs is not a bad deal at all. But the things many developers are doing with them makes me dislike both.
  • B Dawg likes this

caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Ugh.

The seventh gen was a disaster. Nothing but action games, overhyped FPS rehashes and focus on DLC.

Sixth gen was OK but thanks to Microsoft that is really when the gaming started to focus on crap online.

The Fifth gen with the PS1 was the best era for me. I miss the days where you buy a game and its 100% there. No worries about half of the game being cut as DLC, or worries about trophies, etc.

haythem09
  • haythem09

Honorbru Dispray

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

I think the Fifth generation is more comparable to the Sixth. The Seventh is unlike any other, in a way I for the most part don't like (Multiplayer has improved HUGELY though).

Everything is too similar now, the best games have guns, the worst games have guns, the medicore games have guns and the games that don't have guns still have guns.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users