Photo

How did GTA V sell so well?

28 replies to this topic
Crewnordin
  • Crewnordin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

No this is not a complaining thread. I was just wondering, how can  GTA 5 already surpass the lifetime sales of GTA 4. I mean like GTA 4 came after GTA San Andreas which was a huge succes. So that would mean that people needed to be more hyped back then because GTA 5 came after GTA 4 which was a huge dissapointment(General public opinion). So what made it such a succes? The marketing was not crazy good and there was even a delay plus a 6 month drought of info. People got pissed off at Rockstar for delaying and simply ignoring us. Was that the key to this huge succes?

dp415263
  • dp415263

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

1. the name grand theft auto

2. how over hyped this game was, saying this will be the greatest game for current gen.

3. misinformation and the lies rockstar told about the game.

4. the 5 years of a GTA game not releasing

• saintsrow and AtomicPunk like this

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

The marketing was good, look at all the noise trailer 1 made.

Less is more in this case. Everyone is just so used to knowing every single f*ckin thing about a game before its release. Thats why it was perceived as weird or whatever.

DatDudeDB
  • DatDudeDB

Trick

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

Simply more people are getting into games.

Someone who was 9 when GTA IV came out might've had not means to buy the game, being that particular age.

5 years later this 9 year old kid is 14 and in highschool. He has better means of purchasing the game.

So basically the userbase is expanding. 

DatDudeDB
  • DatDudeDB

Trick

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

2. how over hyped this game was, saying this will be the greatest game for current gen.

oh boo-hoo-hoo. Suck a cokc.

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

Op here is your answer

plz honor me
  • plz honor me

that guy

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

you could of not said it better.

Crewnordin
  • Crewnordin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

1. In 2008 the name was the same. How can it sell WAY more.

2. I was not actively searching for GTA 4 news back then but after GTA San Andreas and a new GTA coming on PS3,, wasn't it hyped back then aswell?

3. Funny thing is,, Rockstar did not tell us anything. Thats why Im so shocked it sold so well.

4. Is that really the reason?

plz honor me
  • plz honor me

that guy

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:22 AM Edited by plz honor me, 16 October 2013 - 12:23 AM.

2. I was not actively searching for GTA 4 news back then but after GTA San Andreas and a new GTA coming on PS3,, wasn't it hyped back then aswell?

3. Funny thing is,, Rockstar did not tell us anything. Thats why Im so shocked it sold so well.

tumblr_mf71gh3zYj1rwlmoao1_250.gif

dp415263
  • dp415263

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

1. god you are dense

2. No one was claiming IV to be the greatest game ever

3. Are you stupid? they gave a lot of information on this game on Rockstar.com and the gameplay trailers...

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

Marketing. Only the best of the game was shown, and it was said to be the best game of the generation. In all seriousness, GTA V was a bit overhyped. I still really love it, though. It's my favorite game.

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

3a9.png

Doolz351
  • Doolz351

Trick

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

The marketing was good, look at all the noise trailer 1 made.

Less is more in this case. Everyone is just so used to knowing every single f*ckin thing about a game before its release. Thats why it was perceived as weird or whatever.

Yep marketing

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

:^: Agreed.  We got Rockrolled, used the grand and great history of the GTA series as bait. 

Simply more people are getting into games.

Someone who was 9 when GTA IV came out might've had not means to buy the game, being that particular age.

5 years later this 9 year old kid is 14 and in highschool. He has better means of purchasing the game.

So basically the userbase is expanding. 

Plus this - present gen consoles are at their nexus right now.  The installed base is huge. 

Crewnordin
  • Crewnordin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:29 AM

1. god you are dense

3. Are you stupid? they gave a lot of information on this game on Rockstar.com and the gameplay trailers...

1..Are you retarded? A game cant just sell 22 mil copies, GTA 4 lifetimesales in 2 weeks because of the name. The same could be said in 2008 but GTA 4 did not sell San Andreas lifetime sales in 2 weeks.

2. Dude wtf?

3. Wait,, so now they gave us a lot of information. There was a 6/7 month time span of no information. The first trailer was released 2 years ago. We did not even know who the protag was only after Game Informer I think.

plz honor me
  • plz honor me

that guy

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:33 AM

1. god you are dense

1..Are you retarded? A game cant just sell 22 mil copies, GTA 4 lifetimesales in 2 weeks because of the name. The same could be said in 2008 but GTA 4 did not sell San Andreas lifetime sales in 2 weeks.

2. Dude wtf?

3. Wait,, so now they gave us a lot of information. There was a 6/7 month time span of no information. The first trailer was released 2 years ago. We did not even know who the protag was only after Game Informer I think.

just stop dont argue with him we have all come to the conclusion that he is dense self centered and is probably very young.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

Simple:

1. Despite all the complaining, GTA IV was a huge seller. A lot of people liked it.

2. Longest wait for a GTA title to be released. 

GTA III - 2001

GTA VC - 2002 (1 year)

GTA SA - 2004 (2 years)

GTA LCS - 2005 (1 year)

GTA VCS - 2006(1 year)

GTA IV - 2008 (2 years)

GTA IV TLAD -  Feb 2009 (1 year)

GTA CW - March 2009 (Less than 1 year)

GTA IV TBOGT - Oct 2009 (less than 1 year)

GTA V - 2013 (4 years)

3. A single trailer was released in 2011 and then mostly silence for the longest time. This got people curious.

4. A large marketing campaign including game websites like IGN saying that GTA V is good enough to make next-gen feel insignificant. 

moKoE_LoCz
  • moKoE_LoCz

A.S.A.P

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:45 AM

Simple. Its Grand Theft Auto. Also, I think when people found out it was going to be set in Los Santos I think more people got excited seeing that San Andreas was predominately everyones favorite. Yeah their marketing wasn't crazy BUT once again since its GTA it kinda speaks for its self. They could literally randomly put GTA on the shelf with no type of marketing and it would sell CRAZY.

And since R* kept us in the dark so long about info on GTA 5 it kept a lot of people wondering and guessing. I really wasn't around for GTA 4 hype when it first came out so I can't speak for that. I didn't find out about IV until maybe 3 to 4 months before release. 

Just by watching the trailers you could tell V was going to be better than IV. And when we found out more info on V, there was more to do in Los Santos than Liberty City, you could fly PLANES again, heists (which everyone wanted to see again after that mission in IV), V's map being extremely huge and diverse etc. It got people going. Theres a lot of factors as to why V sold so many copies but I think those are just a few.

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

Because unlike some developers who rely on spoon-fed little children to buy their same old repetitive rehashed crap every year, Rockstar have built up a well deserved reputation over the years among adults who can appreciate things in life.

/thread

RicketyRooster
  • RicketyRooster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

Red Dead Redemption...that game is a masterpiece, add to that the hype of GTA 5 being bigger and better.

mattymcs
  • mattymcs

For sho'

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:05 AM Edited by mattymcs, 16 October 2013 - 01:07 AM.

you could of not said it better.
Really, cos I could pull n answer as good as that out of my ass.

The main reason is the install base. 360 had been on sale less than 18 months when IV was released and PS3 not much over a year. If every single ps3 and 360 owner had bought IV on release it STILL would have been less than the release sales of V.

IV was massively hyped, almost as much as V has been. It was that one game you couldn't get away from on the net, just like V.

It had been 3 and a half years since a major gta release when IV came out so still a substantial gap. And the gta name was just as big as it is now, if anything IV probably reduced the gta brand value because of the backlash it received which was definitely much higher than it has been for V.

SonofUgly
  • SonofUgly

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:06 AM

It had a budget of $250 million - half of that went to marketing...

killerx2
  • killerx2

Trick

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:07 AM

i had unrealistic expectations, and this game surpassed them.the few haters hate it because it was too ambitious.it did everything it can perfectly, and the things they couldn't completely do (console limitations/time limit) they decided not to make excuses, but try to do them anyway.i think they did a great job, but some people like to look at the things they had a taste of and get mad about not getting the whole meal. i kind of understand where they are coming from, but i love the game.

PS: yes there was a time limit.when you spend 3 years making a game, you won't suddenly try to convert all the progress to next gen consoles.they are releasing free dlc they already have planned.they also are going to release heists and whatnot.they aren't some evil devil, they would have liked to include everything on release date, but they couldn't.

fish61324
  • fish61324

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

Here is why...

Everybody loved San Andreas... so when GTA IV was released we all hated it (because it was boring, bland and grey).  So we have all basically been waiting for this game (GTA V) since we got bored playing San Andreas (differs between people, but around 2005 some time). Take GTA (which is a great franchise (expect IV)) and make people wait 8 years for a new GTA game. That's basically what happened

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:09 AM

It sold well because a lot more effort was put into it. People saw that in the screenshots and trailers.

"bold new direction" was all I needed to hear. I wasn't a huge fan of IV either, but I'm def going back to give it another chance after completing this one.

xTurbox187
  • xTurbox187

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:12 AM

Saints Row 2 is better than GTA 5, hell it was better than IV. The only thing R* has them beat in is Graphics & Story.. Look @ all the customization in SR2, which is a 5yr old game, now look @ GTA 5 which R* spent 5yrs + $265 mil making.. The majority of the sh*t you can do in V, you can do in SR2, if not better. The cheat codes are way better + funner, you can customize your character + buy houses & customize the interiors, etc. Also, everything is unlocked right from the begining of the game, you're not even forced to play missions like in GTA.

But that's just my opinion.. No need to get butt hurt, because I know how sensitive some of you GTA fans are.

BTW, I have never played SR3 or 4 so I can't speak for them.

JMan2
  • JMan2

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:12 AM

Here is why...

Everybody loved San Andreas... so when GTA IV was released we all hated it (because it was boring, bland and grey).  So we have all basically been waiting for this game (GTA V) since we got bored playing San Andreas (differs between people, but around 2005 some time). Take GTA (which is a great franchise (expect IV)) and make people wait 8 years for a new GTA game. That's basically what happened

That's a very skewed view. GTA IV wasn't bland and boring. Perhaps you felt it was, but the majority of people enjoyed it and thought it was an incredible game and a massive step up for the game in regards to graphics and creating an incredibly detailed map. It's success and popularity helped the series and had a massive part in helping to boost the series' profile for GTA V. Whether you liked it or not, to say that GTA V sold so well because people didn't like GTA IV is nonsense.

• Ermac. likes this

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

GTA6 early predictions 15 million copies on it first day in 2017.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:19 AM

Pow!!!! That's what it sounds like when someone hits the nail on the head!!!

V sold well because of reputation and lies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users