» «
Photo

Best way to downgrade Steam versions?

17 replies to this topic
LuigiIsHungry
  • LuigiIsHungry

:D

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:11 PM Edited by LuigiIsHungry, 15 October 2013 - 11:14 PM.

First of all I wanna say that I'm pretty new in this forum and I'm not really sure if I posted in the right place. Mods please move the topic if need be.

Okay, so I got all GTA games from the original to EFLC for around $15 at Steam during last year's summer sale. So I decided I would re-buy them for mods and whatnot (used to have them on consoles).

As many of you know already, and something I found out too late, Steam versions hate mods. So I got a downgrader a while back and that has worked alright to me, but I have been getting some bugs here and there. In some places I see "use a downgrader", in others I see "download a no CD crack". I just want to know what do you guys think is the way that will give me the best compatibility with most mods.  More specifically just the GTA III-era ones.

Thanks in advance.

ThirteenAG
  • ThirteenAG

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

https://dl.dropboxus..._downgrader.zip
  • CartmanKusanagi and muh linucs like this

LuigiIsHungry
  • LuigiIsHungry

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

That's the best way? Because that's exactly what I've been using. Do you know of other options?

ThirteenAG
  • ThirteenAG

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

This turn your any GTA to vanilla 1.0 version, what is could be better than that for mods?

LuigiIsHungry
  • LuigiIsHungry

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Well it comes with CLEO installed as well and I've been having some bugs so I didn't think it was 100% vanilla. It also gets rid of the intro movies, how do I keep those?

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

The downgraded version isn't going to be as compatible with mods, I don't think. If it's a 1.01+ copy to begin with, there's no way the downgrader could get it to 1.0 without fully replacing the file (which doesn't seem to happen - if it did, it would surely just replace it with a no-cd crack or the original 1.0 version). If it doesn't replace the file, then it's just changing it to make it more 1.0-like, and therefore isn't really 1.0.. it's 1.005 :p

ThirteenAG
  • ThirteenAG

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:12 AM Edited by ThirteenAG, 17 October 2013 - 04:14 AM.

Well it comes with CLEO installed as well and I've been having some bugs so I didn't think it was 100% vanilla. It also gets rid of the intro movies, how do I keep those?

Because cleo is a best no cd for GTA3/VC, and intro movies doesn't show for most people these days. I don't understand why you need them.
You can remove cleo and download a cracked 1.0 version from some place else, it's up to you.

P.S. And yes, i'm aware of a crash when loading saves in Vice City, because of cleo, but since you're planning to install mods, that crash was fixed in MVL anyway.

LuigiIsHungry
  • LuigiIsHungry

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

It's a nostalgia thing. Back when I had the games on the PS2, I never skipped the intros. They'd get me excited to play the game. I'll try a no-cd crack, see how that works out.

LuigiIsHungry
  • LuigiIsHungry

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:17 AM

I tried a couple things and none worked out so well. So I'm back to using your downgrader.

Since you're here I might as well ask you about some of the problems I'm having with your mods. Should I do that here or should I post that in their threads?

PLZnoMORE
  • PLZnoMORE

Player Hater

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:44 PM

After installing downgrader the game tells me insert disc 2  :facedesk:

• muh linucs likes this

muh linucs
  • muh linucs

-

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:17 AM Edited by muh linucs, 30 January 2017 - 01:26 AM.

Does this downgrader also crack the games?

EDIT: "Disk 2 error" on launch: http://i.imgur.com/wwvihPx.png

georgezx
  • georgezx

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

Link isn't working anymore. Please fix  :panic:

The_Human
  • The_Human

The Eye

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

Nice bump but anyway here is the link.

georgezx
  • georgezx

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

Nice bump but anyway here is the link.

For vice city.  :miranda:

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Spam Commando 2017
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

for vice city you just need to get nocd 1.0 exe and install cleo.

KleinMarquez
  • KleinMarquez

Player Hater

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

What about 1.1 Retail Version downgrade to 1.0?

Tommy Vercetti Is #1
  • Tommy Vercetti Is #1

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:52 AM Edited by Tommy Vercetti Is #1, 15 September 2017 - 05:08 PM.

What about 1.1 Retail Version downgrade to 1.0?

Yes I was wondering this as well. When we get the No-CD patch do we use the 1.0 version or the 1.1 version if we have 1.1. My version of GTA Vice City is from the Trilogy pack that has GTA San Andreas, GTA III, and GTA Vice City so what version is included in that pack? Also what is the highest patch that GTA Vice City was patched to? Is 1.1 the highest version you can have? Thanks!

EDIT: Just figured this out. The Trilogy version of GTA Vice City has the 1.0 version of the .exe. I figured this out by running the official 1.1 patcher here: https://support.rock...-Auto-Vice-City

Then I directed it to my GTA Vice City directory and it told me it could be patched. Because if it was already patched the patcher would have told me that I already had a 1.1 exe. So it must be the 1.0 version of GTA Vice City.

After patching I compared the new 1.1 .exe to the 1.0 .exe that I backed up before the patch. Here is the data that I found:

The 1.0 .exe version before the patch that came in with the Trilogy version was 3.91 MB big and was modified on March 17th of 2003.

The 1.1 patched .exe version was 4.30 MB big and was modified on April 23rd of 2003.

So indeed the highest version that GTA Vice City can be officially patched is 1.1. But I highly recommend installing Silent's Patch here: http://gtaforums.com...45-silentpatch/

Also the 1.1 patch is not needed as it was a way to fix some OLD graphics cards that corrected polygon corruption. So no one should need this patch, but you definitely need Silent's patch for sure.

So this proves that anyone that has the Trilogy version that is bundled with GTA San Andreas, GTA III, and GTA Vice City has the original 1.0 .exe already for GTA Vice City. So you have to get a No-CD 1.0 .exe in order to have mods work. Plus I think everyone would agree with me that it is annoying to keep putting in the disc every time in order to play the game. I miss the easy days of putting in a serial key and activating the game forever. So hopefully this data will help people wondering about how to downgrade the Trilogy retail version of GTA Vice City. So no downgrading required! Just download a No-CD 1.0 .exe and you are good to go. If you have any questions feel free to ask on this forum.

kohntark
  • kohntark

Player Hater

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by kohntark, 2 weeks ago.

Solved - delete

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users