Photo

Why Grove Street is not the same?

64 replies to this topic
psgamingchannel
  • psgamingchannel

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

In San Andreas Grove Street was different and I think they shoud have kept it from SA at least Grove street if nothing else right?

psgamingchannel
  • psgamingchannel

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

In GTA San Andreas grove street looked a lot better!

• cyrilaeshell and Quinnibis like this

NewReno
  • NewReno

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

I hear you and honestly I felt a bit disappointed when I couldn't recognize Los Santos in gta v. Still, I love the new layout that they've created. Would have been sweet if they did have the original grove st with the bar down the street and everything though.
  • bigburst likes this

psgamingchannel
  • psgamingchannel

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

yeah I agree totally. The new Grove street is also amazing but those memories are just missing...

• NewReno likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Because it's not the same Grove Street. Old Los Santos is a different era, etc, the fact that both Los Santos have a Grove Street is Rockstar throwing fans a bone.

• ActionBronson and bigburst like this

piko
  • piko

Peon

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Grove Street is Ballas 'hood now, there ain't no Grove Street Families no more. Would've loved some gang warfare in this game like in SA so you could get those damn Ballas off Grove Street at least  :sui:

• bigburst likes this

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

Grove Street is Ballas 'hood now, there ain't no Grove Street Families no more. Would've loved some gang warfare in this game like in SA so you could get those damn Ballas off Grove Street at least  :sui:

Yeah..It's very bizarre that gang wars was left out like many other things. Grove Street should've had some nod to San An. I don't get why R* would just leave it devoid.

kasa
  • kasa

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

yes, very strange why they put it in the game like this. I wanted to buy CJ's house!!

• bigburst likes this

Kifflom
  • Kifflom

Rat

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

Because it's not the same Grove Street. Old Los Santos is a different era, etc, the fact that both Los Santos have a Grove Street is Rockstar throwing fans a bone.

Is there actually a source on this? The whole "different eras / different continuity" thing seems to be nothing more than fanon, invented by a small group of nerds on the various wikis. And even if it did have "official" sources, the whole idea would still be complete rubbish.

Grove Street is Grove Street. You can update the layout of everything else in Los Santos, but The Grove is sacred.

• bigburst likes this

streetx1xracer
  • streetx1xracer

F*kn magnets, how do they work?

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Is there actually a source on this? The whole "different eras / different continuity" thing seems to be nothing more than fanon, invented by a small group of nerds on the various wikis. And even if it did have "official" sources, the whole idea would still be complete rubbish.

Grove Street is Grove Street. You can update the layout of everything else in Los Santos, but The Grove is sacred.

The nerds that created the 3d/hd universes were created by Rockstar themselves. It was talked about more clearly in a Q&A.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

I was hoping for Grove Street to be exactly the same. It doesn't even feel like Grove Street.

Ragref
  • Ragref

Fighting terror!

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

Are you that dumb? R* made the entire different universe theorys themselves. Good job on calling R* a small group of nerds.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:28 PM Edited by Gst0395, 15 October 2013 - 08:28 PM.

The nerds that created the 3d/hd universes were created by Rockstar themselves. It was talked about more clearly in a Q&A.

I still don't understand why characters like Lazlow, Jack Howitzer and Love Fist can cross over the two universes, though I guess in-game celebrities along with placenames and fictional brands are exceptions to the rule.

• rovert likes this

Archvile78
  • Archvile78

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

GTA V takes place 23 years after San Andreas, things have time to change in 2 decades. I mean despite not looking like SA's Grove street it look similar enough despite rockstar saying it was a modernized Los Santos in V. Its still got that familiar feeling.

Ragref
  • Ragref

Fighting terror!

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

I still don't understand why characters like Lazlow, Jack Howitzer and Love Fist can cross over the two universes, though I guess in-game celebrities along with placenames and fictional brands are exceptions to the rule.

Jock Cranley also crossed universes. He was a radio guy in GTA VCS.

Kifflom
  • Kifflom

Rat

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

Are you that dumb? R* made the entire different universe theorys themselves. Good job on calling R* a small group of nerds.

Sources or it didn't happen.

And anyway, I know reading isn't your strong suit, porkchop, but I already addressed the issue of Rockstar themselves intending there to be two alternate universes, or whatever other DC comics bullsh*t cliche it's supposed to be. So yeah, I AM calling Rockstar nerds. Fat, greasy, neckbearded nerds who suck at keeping a coherent, ongoing narrative together.

Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

DoubleOGJohnson
  • DoubleOGJohnson

Playa

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:21 PM Edited by DoubleOGJohnson, 15 October 2013 - 09:30 PM.

It's kind of funny how Vinewood and Richman returned In a greater capacity but not Ganton and Idlewood, when those two places drove the storyline of GTA SA. Rockstar's priorities are questionable at times. And the people who have religious conviction in the "eras" have no minds of their own. There's nothing concrete about eras except that it is an imaginary and mythical distinction created out of thin air. Just because Rockstar created GTA doesn't mean every statement they make about it is true. Rockstar threw that era idea together like a sloppy ass splash painting where some dude runs out of ideas and starts throwing buckets of paint at a canvas then sells the painting pretending that he preplanned the entire design. Bullsh*t.

The era mythos is so sloppy, that it's like Dan Houser and the creative team met in a dark alley one night to discuss the continuity of the series, nobody had an answer until a homeless man who flunked out of 4th grade walked by and suggested, "why dont you guys tell the fans that there are different eras to hide your messed and screwed up continuity", and Dan is like, "well sh*t, let's try that then". What makes yall believe in the eras so fervently enough to argue its existence with other people? Are you telling me they never made sh*t up, lied, or told a false truth to the fans? Nobody who believes in eras can even tell you what makes them real except, "I heard from so and so this or that". No minds at all.

• gunziness and rovert like this

Ragref
  • Ragref

Fighting terror!

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

And anyway, I know reading isn't your strong suit, porkchop, but I already addressed the issue of Rockstar themselves intending there to be two alternate universes, or whatever other DC comics bullsh*t cliche it's supposed to be. So yeah, I AM calling Rockstar nerds. Fat, greasy, neckbearded nerds who suck at keeping a coherent, ongoing narrative together.

http://www.rockstarg...claude-dar.html

In the other characters section.

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:36 PM Edited by simonp92, 15 October 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Surprising few smart people in this thread. It's not the same because it's a different universe, and you should be happy R* even borthered to make grove street in GTA V, because they did it solely for the fans of SA, and if that wasn't enough they even made a mission refencing SA (Hood Safari), to make sure fans noticed that this the street was infact grove street. When the mission itself and the location has little impact on the overall storyline. 

And here's the first mention of the different eras, from R*'s own mouth. 

"In GTAIV, there's a wall that contains the names of previous protagonists in the Grand Theft Auto series, and after some of those names, there are the words 'R.I.P.' or something similar. Is this a way of confirming that the GTA3 timeline is over, or will you bring it back someday?" - Rodrigo6411

This was a little joke for fans of the series. The Grand Theft Auto III timeline is not necessarily over - but it is a different world to Grand Theft Auto IV - only the branding and certain radio personalities exist across both worlds. The reason for this was that we felt Grand Theft Auto IV was a high-definition experience and required different kinds of characters. That - and the fact that most people from the previous world are dead.

http://www.rockstarg...n-and-chin.html

• Miketv and Jacob-B like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

According to that logic R* naming Los Santos Los Santos again is R* throwing fans a bone too. Guess what? All R* does is 'throwing fans bones', because it makes them sell games.

Kent_Paul_Jnr
  • Kent_Paul_Jnr

lets bounce

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:18 PM Edited by Kent_Paul_Jnr, 15 October 2013 - 10:19 PM.

Mount Chillad is a main stay of SA for fans too,  that will bring new people to the series with new memories of taking the hot knife or whatever new vehicles there are up it, its not consistent ... but its cool it's there, V is a reimaging of the City and its people, the CJ Easter egg is awesome IMO plus all the UFO stuff and nods to all the old myths...

There are loads of nods to SA and previous GTA's from iv to Vice City, some more apparent than others... and its nice when you discover them.

It's really cool how R* mixes and matches what they include and don't,  Grove Street is Grove Street for new gamers and fans of the GTA series from which ever game you started playing from.

I myself am very disappointed there is no gang wars, recruiting homies, hydraulics on cars, robbing houses, gang territories, all thiings which added replay ability to the game, that's why I guess we have GTAO

R* Don't really do HD remakes in the normal sense, IE they reimagine their old ideas,  SA to me feels like a mash up of Vice City and SA,

Liberty City in IV was never as good as the original Liberty City... life changes.... and so must the games, if they could make all the old games GTA 3, VC and SA with the new euphoria and rage engine.. that would be cool ...

- FCUKIN EPIC  -

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

If you are referring to the whole "games in different era" thing, it isn't fanon, you just don't know how to use google. Look it up. Rockstar said it themselves, first with GTA IV, and again with V. The two "universes" share no relation and henceforth Rockstar can do whatever they want, regardless of the opinion held by a very small minority, ala you and your peers. 

http://www.nowgamer....s_rockstar.html

Grove Street isn't grove street anymore. Grove is dead, and GSF nearly are as well. Face it. It's the 21st century now, time to grow up. The Ballas have taken over and they themselves are dying, as is ganglife in LS (and real life LA) in general. 

• Miketv likes this

Zonegamer
  • Zonegamer

Front Yard Balla

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

This.

Even though I lowkey like that the ballas have taken over the Families turf. It's been over 20 years since SA so I like how the street evolved, it shows realism and let's not forget that this Grove St is meant to be set in another universe. 

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

According to that logic R* naming Los Santos Los Santos again is R* throwing fans a bone too. Guess what? All R* does is 'throwing fans bones', because it makes them sell games.

You missed something, compare GTA3 and GTA4, both in Liberty City, but a different Liberty City, they don't even share a street name. New Los Santos does share a street name (outside of Vinewood, but even that has been extended now with Vinewood BLVD and Vinewood Hills), Grove Street is a simple nod to the fans, a sort of, yeah even in this new era, we couldn't forget old Grove Street.

HOAXi
  • HOAXi

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'm pleased with Grove Street. It's 2013. More realistic.

Only thing though, I miss the gang rivalries.

• bigburst likes this

The Clansman
  • The Clansman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

During hood safari between the gunfight, you can hear the ballas shouting "The families were kicked from here a long time ago"

Later in the same mission, there is a dialogue between Lamar and Franklin where Lamar talks about Grove Street Families.

DidierSach
  • DidierSach

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:51 PM

All Los Santos isn't the same. Keeping a wannabe Grove Street on the map was heartbreaking for me. It's like the same place but they removent the Johnson's house. Even their garage is still there. The guy they are going for during this mission just lives in Ryder's house.

Death2Drugs
  • Death2Drugs

Wanna milky?

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:57 PM

I actually agree that it was pretty depressing to see GTA V's Grove Street. I mean, yeah, it did bring back memories, but it didn't feel the same. It would have been cool if the layout were similar....

Acetaminophen
  • Acetaminophen

I own my own pet virus I get to pet and name her

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

What is your deal man? 

YaDoesntHaveToCallMeRay
  • YaDoesntHaveToCallMeRay

Releasing The Inner Geek

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

You guys have that ghetto "crab mentality". You want Franklin to be some gang banging fool. :lol:

Actually I kinda miss the rivalries, but it just doesn't fit this game's theme.

• Miketv and bigburst like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users