Ubuntu

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic
insideman40
  • insideman40

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

Just wondering if anyone had unbunto i am considering getting it just wondered if you like it or had any problems with it?

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, got skippy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

The only problems Ubuntu really has is support issues from both the developer and the community. If you run ANY version of Ubuntu other than the latest version you will receive little to no help at all.

insideman40
  • insideman40

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

Do you have it, if you do do you like it

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, got skippy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:45 AM

I currently run Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I haven't tried any of the new ones, and it seems that they are as good as ever. I highly recommend Ubuntu.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

The only problems Ubuntu really has is support issues from both the developer and the community. If you run ANY version of Ubuntu other than the latest version you will receive little to no help at all.

What do you mean by latest version? The LTS version is supposed to be the best one.

The only thing I don't like about Ubuntu right now is the fact that it can no longer run well on old machines (despite what it claims). Also, Flash player support for Linux is dead for the kind of CPU I have. Granted I do have a really old PC, but XP beats it in terms of that and general performance.

insideman40
  • insideman40

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

My laptop is from 2007 and has intel core 2 duo clocked at 2.0 ghz and has 3.0 gb's of ram

Do you think it will run ok on my laptop?

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

It should run really well on that.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:51 AM

I use(d) Precise Pangolin (12.04 LTS or something like that) on a Toshiba Satellite from around 2010 or so. It worked for a little while, but things started breaking after a couple updates, I remember my laptop battery wouldn't show up even though it was in decent health the week prior, the update manager would only work one-tenth of the time and I'd have to update through the terminal which worked just a bit more often (it couldn't connect to the servers for updating most of the time), and fixing problems was always a lot more difficult than it was with Windows.

If you've got the patience to work through problems like that, and don't mind looking through the Ubuntu Forums for help once in a while then it should be easy enough to switch to. I don't think I'd ever use it as a complete replacement for Windows 7 though.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, got skippy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

Also, if you DO end up using Ubuntu. Make sure you barely EVER install updates. After updating 1-3 times, you'll be safe. Anything further can usually lead to issues. I've re-installed 10.04 twice due to broken updates and I hear nothing but issues with 13.04.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

^ It depends on the PC you have. I think the 12.04 LTS version is the best one in terms of support and you should always install updates if you want security.

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

Just wondering if anyone had unbunto i am considering getting it just wondered if you like it or had any problems with it?

I'm using Ubuntu, and ever since I started, I never want to use Windows as my main OS anymore.  It's not so resource-heavy, and the community is actually helpful as well.  13.04 is the one I'm on now.   And installing updates is no problem. Hell, you can have 200 updates and it can only be about 500 kb.

• high91 likes this

dudeofSANTOS
  • dudeofSANTOS

"Don't bother to wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'm using Ubuntu, and ever since I started, I never want to use Windows as my main OS anymore.  It's not so resource-heavy, and the community is actually helpful as well.  13.04 is the one I'm on now.   And installing updates is no problem. Hell, you can have 200 updates and it can only be about 500 kb.

Today, I downloaded Ubuntu 13.10,

Its my first time when I am switching from windows so I am just confused that I have to install Ubuntu 13.10 or NOt 

high91
  • high91

Eminem- Infinite-1996-313

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

Yes! Get it, use it and love it :) You can run it off a flash drive rather than a hard drive too.

Works perfectly for bridging 3g dongles>laptop>ethernet>console.

Set up right and it runs like a cat in a hamster wheel :D

• Franceska likes this

Franceska
  • Franceska

• The Connection
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:18 AM Edited by Franceska, 03 January 2014 - 08:24 AM.

Yes! Get it, use it and love it :) You can run it off a flash drive rather than a hard drive too.

Works perfectly for bridging 3g dongles>laptop>ethernet>console.

Set up right and it runs like a cat in a hamster wheel :D

With me it happened that I installed Ubuntu by accident over WIndows, but ever since that day I never looked back at Windows (though I use it still, but as secondary OS)

Today, I downloaded Ubuntu 13.10,

Its my first time when I am switching from windows so I am just confused that I have to install Ubuntu 13.10 or NOt 

If you visit http://noobslab.com you can find awesome stuff there, such as tutorials, little tweaks and best of all: It's for people who have little knowledge of Ubuntu so it's a step by step tutorial that's basically copypasta and you're good to go.

It also has nice themes, and Ubuntu comes with a Try before you Install-option, that gives you the possibility to run Ubuntu all functional and working: Except it's not installed so you can try and see if you like it before you definitely decide to switch over.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

I've been using Windows/Ubuntu doubleboot, but switched to Linux Mint. Only major problem with Linux has been keeping some of the firefox plugins up-to-date (adobe flash). If I did not need Photoshop and few important small apps, could switch permanently to Linux. Inkscape and Gimp run considerably faster on Linux and are easier to configure/tweak. There's more than enough good alternatives to replace your windows default applications.
If You decide to install, I highly recommend installing along windows first and not replacing. Read ubuntuwiki how to set up doubleboot with windows.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

Official Flash player support for Firefox was discontinued last year. Chrome receives updates for Flash made by Google, so I would suggest that you switch to Chrome for convenience.

• Slave Boy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users