Photo

I'm shocked by how bad Vice City feels today

154 replies to this topic
halfer
  • halfer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

VC looks just fine, even better with mods that port Xbox Original stuff and replace the HUD and fonts with high resolution ones. The main problem for me is driving which is just nonsensical, I never really noticed it, but cars feel just awful, like you have no control over them. SA really improved on that

OG Cheetah
  • OG Cheetah

Mammal,Human,Male

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

I would do the same, but GTA Vice City came out when I was sort of young. Young enough to be irrisponsible with my disc. Remember that "Error reading Grand Theft Auto Vice City DVD" error? 2 minutes of playing Vice City and it's all I get.

Me too,happened every time when entered a car on ps2 unit finnaly got it for PC.

I don t know,newest GTA I played was GTA IV,but there is no such atmnosphere like in VC or SA,both had great storylines and graphic although SA improved that so I am for SA.

And about you opinion about graphic today,for that time GTA VC/SA had best graphic ever and I can still play them without getting bored,passed both games with 100% completion more than five times.

.: Phaze
  • .: Phaze

Why so serious?...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

I honestly feel the same playing all of GTA series mainly because I play the older ones once in awhile for old times sake...

But yes, it is crazy how far the franchise has come.

... One thing I do notice the most is vehicle handling. Driving in III & Vice City feels pretty fast sometimes. And I also have a problem thinking I can use my right stick to look around my character and vehicle but forgot it looks around in first person. Always throws me off.

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Probably personal feeling mixed with nostalgia, but I can play it without any problems. Sure the graphics are rather simple,  mechanics are outdated, but atmosphere created by the neons, soundtrack and trails is still wonderful.

If we're speaking about games we can't play it will be SA. 

Aw don't be like that, SA was most likely the best GTA ever on 3D, just my opinion.

That's your opinion, my is a bit different and I wouldn't ever put SA over III, VC or VCS. 

In 2004 I loved it and I could play it whole days, but unfortunately I started seeing faults of the game and the gangsta sh*t lost its coolness. When I turn on the game, only to hear Ryder saying keep up mothaf*cka I can't stand it. Longest point when I got recently was SF missions, but I couldn't stand it anymore. SA was good 9 years ago, but it wasn't better than VC. Now it's just game without anything to keep me interested. 

So just because of that one quote by Ryder, you all of a sudden dislike it? I actually thought Ryder's first line was badass, a perfect way for a character to start his dialogue. Too bad the guy became a traitor.

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Probably personal feeling mixed with nostalgia, but I can play it without any problems. Sure the graphics are rather simple,  mechanics are outdated, but atmosphere created by the neons, soundtrack and trails is still wonderful.

Aw don't be like that, SA was most likely the best GTA ever on 3D, just my opinion.

That's your opinion, my is a bit different and I wouldn't ever put SA over III, VC or VCS. 

In 2004 I loved it and I could play it whole days, but unfortunately I started seeing faults of the game and the gangsta sh*t lost its coolness. When I turn on the game, only to hear Ryder saying keep up mothaf*cka I can't stand it. Longest point when I got recently was SF missions, but I couldn't stand it anymore. SA was good 9 years ago, but it wasn't better than VC. Now it's just game without anything to keep me interested. 

So just because of that one quote by Ryder, you all of a sudden dislike it? I actually thought Ryder's first line was badass, a perfect way for a character to start his dialogue. Too bad the guy became a traitor.

*Sigh*

Opinion wars... They harm many people and ultimately lead to f*ck all.

TrevorSpeed914
  • TrevorSpeed914

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:14 AM

I think the better Vice City experience is VCS, but I'd agree that Vice City hasn't aged well in terms of controls. However, I think it's graphically superior to III and San Andreas. Gameplay wise, I think it's more straightforward than both games too. III is my favorite, btw.

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

I honestly miss that ''arcadey'' feeling video games used to have it's no secret their less fun and more bland as a result of ''graphics'' and ''realism''.

I mean the last wwe game that was good was SVR 2006. That game was the sh*t because it was designed as a video game sure the graphics were a focus but the gameplay was the main focus.

I feel the same way about vice city even down to the map. The map is small because it's designed to be a giant playground every part of the map is designed to be played on.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:51 AM Edited by Osho, 09 July 2014 - 12:35 PM.

Well, the problem with OP is clearly about the graphics, otherwise I don't see any change whatsoever in the game, whether it was back when I first played or today.
If graphics ( which are absolutely good btw ) can so severely hamper anyone from playing the game ( and that what actually matters ) then I feel that individual never seriously had the strong affection for the game AT ALL!!
Not just VC, but GTA III, GTA SA, GTA 2 are absolutely brilliant games.

For me, graphics doesn't matter, rather the gameplay.
I truly loved these games for their original feel and looks, and that's why I still take the opportunity for going back in time, to delve into the memories of how I used to enjoy and spend hours playing them.

Also, I keep myself attached with the old times, and not completely forget about them. Its certainly not easy to come back years later and try to get back with the same feeling or liking for the game.

Don't stop and play them probably once in a while or more.
  • Militia likes this

Militia
  • Militia

Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

I am with you Osho.  I just finished GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, and working on VCS (76.3% Currently) these last 3 months to 100% with a proof vehicle collection for each game...

These are surely the best games in the series.  Like you said, graphics aren't even of interest to me.  The graphics will never hinder a game for me as the gameplay will always outweigh that for me.

VC is a great game, however, when I went back to it this past June and finished it within 12 days to 100% with 6 proof vehicles, 2 unique vehicles, and 7 EC (Exclusive Color) vehicles, I didn't actually like it as much as I did when I was younger.  Not sure why.  However, in GTA III, SA, LCS, and VCS...I liked it a lot more than when I played them in the past.  Not sure why VC just didn't do it for me this time around.  It might be the map.  It's so tiny and wasted space, imo due to the big beach and ocean taking up a lot of the size of the map.  All the roads seemed to lead North or South and that's about it, it's surely one of the easiest maps to remember after playing a couple days.  III/LCS map is better, imo, though.  Surely SA has a great map, too.

watersgta3
  • watersgta3

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

*Sigh*

Opinion wars... They harm many people and ultimately lead to f*ck all.

Dude, I ain't got no beef with you. All I did was ask how exactly does that one quote automatically make you hate the game overall. That's all man. I ain't trying to instigate no Internet war.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

I kind of understand what you mean,i had a similar feeling when i  1.st time played GTA 3 after SA,VC and VCS. The feeling was kind of dissapointing and i find re-jumping from GTA V back to gta VC or 3 even more awfull. But i don`t look at it that way. Personally i have no problems jumping from GTA V back to VC because of all the nostalgia, setup, atmosphere and soundtrack of this game. 

Even after i replay all games of HD era many times i still find GTA VC and VCS my 2 best games ever.

Sure if i focus myself to the graphics, animations, aiming, driving etc i will be disapointed but i kind of think that away. VC  will always rules because of its atmosphere, plot and soundtrack. 

If some particular game has a special place in your heart (like VC and VCS has in mine) than you will never find it bad.

Of course, gaming technology, animations and graphics are improving every year so fast that i`m sure GTA V will look like a crap few years from now but there are deeper characteristics than just graphics and handling animations and you need to focus on that.

I suggest you try and play VC again and focus on settings and atmosphere, bring back all of your memories and nostalgia you had with this game and i`m sure you will love it again. :santa:

• Militia likes this

mrfilmpjesmaker123
  • mrfilmpjesmaker123

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrFilmpjesmaker123

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

You must be sick

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

Perennials, Perennials everywhere!

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

Why?

Queen Elizabeth II
  • Queen Elizabeth II

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

The plot is awesome, vehicle design is one of the best - same with soundtrack. The only thing that is really bad is map. Just like GTA V.

inadequate
  • inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

The atmosphere created by the neons, soundtrack and trails is still wonderful.

This.

Dalamo
  • Dalamo

Judas!

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Still the best GTA of all time for me... :inlove:

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

If you mean VC, then you are right sir.

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Checklister

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

VC looks fine for its time. I still think it looks beautiful. Maybe because when you compare it to modern games, it looks sh*t. I personally can play any game, even if the game is old with outdated graphics. 

• PulpFiction and Militia like this

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Godfather

• Zaibatsu
  • Vatican-City
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:55 AM

VC looks fine for its time. I still think it looks beautiful. Maybe because when you compare it to modern games, it looks sh*t. I personally can play any game, even if the game is old with outdated graphics. 

It's still a pretty good looking game to me. 

• Militia likes this

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

Graphics are never a problem.
I can still enjoy Pokémon Red or Final Fantasy VI, even though the graphics are "outdated".
  • TheRevolution likes this

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

The thing is that your eyes gets spoiled very fast and even after a short period of time playing HD era you feel like when crap returning back to 3D. If i remember how bad VC (or god forbid GTA 3) feeled after playing SA then you can imagine the sickness you have when you return from IV or V back to GTA 3 lol.

But for us experienced GTA players that shouldn`t be such problem because there are more things important to us than just  graphics but i wont lie to myself saying that i don`t have any problems from playing good old 3D era again. Cause i do have. Especially when it comes to protagonists. 3D era protags look like some cartoons comparing to HD thus you`re having trouble to identify with them again as you used to have.

The advance from low res sh*tty cartoon model protags like claude or tommy and all the way to hi-res film-like protags like Franklin, Michael or Trevor is a major break and that`s why you wont convince any PS3 youth generation to play 3D era, i know i tried to convinced my little brother to play VC but he gave up after few minutes with a statement like "man that sh*t sucks"

lol

The game advance so fast that even a short period like 1 year means alot. Just look at the difference between GTA SA and GTA VCS or GTA IV and GTA ELC. In a matter of 1 year things improves so fast that your eyes gets spoiled to the new graphics again.

So i would say that doesn`t prevent me from playing 3D again but it bothers me to that point where i no longer enjoy a game so much as i used to.

The only "old" game that i still play often and i will play it is GTA IV and that`s mainly because of great if not the best protag Niko and his fascinating bacground. There is no graphics that would keep me from not playing IV again because i simply like Niko more than any of V`s protags. And if you don`t like some series protags than you wont find it good to play even if a game overall is great.

So my suggest to you (author) is if you like Tommy, if you like the good old VC`s ambient, soundtrack and 80s vibes conected with nostalgia than go for it, if not than leave it in the closet and don`t make your eyes cry.

Simple as that  :blink:

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

The thing is.... ...Simple as that  :blink:

Why leave it in your closet? What if you have it on your phone or PC? Normal people don't keep their phones or PC's in a closet ;)

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

The thing is.... ...Simple as that  :blink:

Why leave it in your closet? What if you have it on your phone or PC? Normal people don't keep their phones or PC's in a closet ;)

That was just an expression of not playing the game if you care about graphics only

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Checklister

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:21 AM Edited by Phoenix_Shit, 18 August 2014 - 12:21 AM.

I still have bad habits of masturbating to Vice city because I love it so much. Oh, cut an old dude some slacks  :cry:

• PulpFiction likes this

HeroBrineR007
  • HeroBrineR007

• BUSTED!
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

I still have bad habits of masturbating to Vice city because I love it so much. Oh, cut an old dude some slacks  :cry:

o.O
It's still the best GTA ;)

LeopardGecko
  • LeopardGecko

GTA biker

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

I also play GTA 5,but I still love GTA VC and sometimes still play it,as well as GTA SA and GTA VCS.I love the 80s mood,the good story,one of the best videogame soundtracks ever,still decent graphics,the nostalgia...

Dalamo
  • Dalamo

Judas!

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

I also play GTA 5,but I still love GTA VC and sometimes still play it,as well as GTA SA and GTA VCS.I love the 80s mood,the good story,one of the best videogame soundtracks ever,still decent graphics,the nostalgia...

Yes sir, Vice City is heartwarming. :inlove:

temi4328
  • temi4328

Proud CEO of the RDF.. Lol

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:19 AM

It's weird because after playing gta V, I went back to 3 and VC and it was still the same. I went back to San andreas, and i can't believe i'm saying this but it felt horrible.

MrVance
  • MrVance

Playa

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

It's weird because after playing gta V, I went back to 3 and VC and it was still the same. I went back to San andreas, and i can't believe i'm saying this but it felt horrible.

I do`t understand this, SA had 50% or more better graphics than VC or 3 which looks straight terible when it comes to graphics.

But anyway from the moment i have playing V on my huge screen HDTV for a few months constantly i must admit i had big problems playing the old era again. I literaly felt sick in my stomach (no exagaration i was realy sick and i had dizines for a short time- probably because of that sh*tty 3 or VC`s camera and vehicle handling) and i couldn`t possibly play it, i just turned it down.

However when i tried to play SA and VCS it was better, still awfull feeling but standable enough so i could do another playtrough.

Yeah you`re getting used to good things fast, good graphics and gameplay mechanics suck you in prety fast and than you have big problem if you try to play old era again. It isn`t impossible but you (at least me) wont enjoy it no more.

But try it just for the test and go play GTA 3 or VC after longer period of playing V or even IV. I bet you`ll start to get dizzy and a little sick first few minutes because of that camera and too fast, messed up vehicle cornering.

Deafiroth
  • Deafiroth

Rat

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

Playing vc now, shooting is awful, and the bikes handling is awful. Graphics are ok, idc about graphics. World kinda feels hollow. Protag is a walking cliche. And water kills you. Which is frickin fantastic. Drivings alright, but the radio music is epic! And the world size is decent. 6/10 with tough love.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users