I'm shocked by how bad Vice City feels today

148 replies to this topic
Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

This section is for VC discussion only-- not for comparing to other GTAs.

Thanks

What?

So we cant compare VC to other GTA games?

I jumped the gun a bit-- however there is more discussion in this thread about SA then VC--

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

I started replaying the 3D games after I got V. The only thing that felt weird to was just how short the plot lines are compared to the HD games. Aside from that, I still had the same fun I did when it was released. One of my favorite things about the game is the feel of taking over the town, to an extent that none of the other games have matched.

Nathaaann
  • Nathaaann

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

I started replaying the 3D games after I got V. The only thing that felt weird to was just how short the plot lines are compared to the HD games. Aside from that, I still had the same fun I did when it was released. One of my favorite things about the game is the feel of taking over the town, to an extent that none of the other games have matched.

No it's just Vice City that's short. Today it's a good thing because I can relive the story in pretty much 2 or 3 days rather than banking out about 3 weeks just to get back into the vibe which is pretty much what happens with GTA 3 and San Andreas. Never given much dedication into the 2D games or the 3D stories/spin-offs nowadays.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

I just started a new VC playthrough, and I'm loving it. It does feel pretty different after playing IV/V so much, but I wouldn't say that it feels "bad".

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

I still love older GTAs like III and Vice City! I think they're unique and very fun until these days!

• GTAKid667 likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

I just started a new VC playthrough, and I'm loving it. It does feel pretty different after playing IV/V so much, but I wouldn't say that it feels "bad".

It's not bad at all. Sure the world feels cartoony as hell compared to GTA IV/V, but it's still an amazing game in its own right.

Something I miss actually in the later games are those remarks Tommy makes after cutscenes.
  • Ridd likes this

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

It's not bad at all. Sure the world feels cartoony as hell compared to GTA IV/V, but it's still an amazing game in its own right.

Something I miss actually in the later games are those remarks Tommy makes after cutscenes.
All of the III-era games will be special forever, in their own way.
  • AnDReJ98 and DeafMetal like this

vengeancehawk
  • vengeancehawk

Member Title

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

I bet with a mod that allows 3rd person camera movement it'd be okay. That was my main problem. Plus, when I plugged my PS2 in my HDTV, it looked horrible.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

forum prankster haha i prank u!!!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:03 AM

I personally don't have much problem with it but I can totally understand how people can. It's pretty much fate for a game to get outdated. Shame, really.

Troubadour
  • Troubadour

God Is Great, Beer Is Good, People Are Crazy

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:51 AM Edited by AiraCobra, 13 January 2014 - 05:54 AM.

I recently bought GTA III, Vice City & San Andrea from the PlayStation store for my PS3.

The graphics are actually not bad at all and the screen fits well and isn't blurry or streched, The only real problem I had was getting used to the controls again since they are difference from IV & V but I still enjoy playing them.

You can buy em and download them on your PS3 for $9.99 well worth it especially if you love the games

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:40 AM Edited by DeafMetal, 13 January 2014 - 06:44 AM.

I was actually replaying VC on my ps2 in anticipation for V and it took me like 5 hours just to get used to how sh*tty it looked nowadays compared to IV, ESPECIALLY on my HDTV. I stopped a little bit around halfway through because V hit the stores. I tried going back to finish it last week and holy sh*t, I just couldn't. I could not get used to it, made my head hurt. Hell, I couldn't even touch IV directly after playing V, it felt so outdated. Funny part though is that I've been playing VCS on my psp with no problem for the past two months... I guess the screen size helps a lot.

Dumb. Florida. Moron. Who this guy think he is? Now I gotta dress like a chump and hang out with him? I like this shirt.

It's sad I memorized those lol shows how much time I've wasted on these games.

mike51501989
  • mike51501989

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:01 AM

I really liked the simplistic of the graphics. It's a game it doesn't have to be life like to be fun. I replayed it recently and I had so much fun just like old times, the only real complaint I have is the city seems so small now after playing V. Back when it came out it seemed rather larger to explore haha.

jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

If you don't have a healthy heaping of nostalgia, VC will feel like a sh*tty iOS game.  It's tiny, there's a real lack of engaging content, and it's short.  Someone who knows all the tricks could finish this game in under 4 hours, if not less.

That being said, I played VC when it was current, so my nostalgia carries me through it.  Don't forget the Malibu/Bank job.

gn1992
  • gn1992

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

I really hope that GTA6 will bring back VC and Vercetti

• himynameisdamien likes this

Hairue
  • Hairue

Deal with it.

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:49 AM

Best memory in playing vice city? *pause* *types "bigbang...9347 times* *resumes game* *watch vehicles rocket out to the skies and wait for them to land* 

JaysonVoorhees
  • JaysonVoorhees

Psycho-logist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

I do find Ryder very annoying in San Andreas..

As someone who only played 3, VC and SA when they were released on phones, I can't say VC is bad. The graphics aren't great but all of the 3D era games have the cartoon style to them so there's a bit of an excuse there really.

JamalG
  • JamalG

King Jamal

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

i still play ps2 games and enjoy em.. id probably feel different if ive started playing GTA's with IV then do EFLC and V and just after that pick up all the GTA III era games

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Yeah I agree. I played VC a little bit recently and I just cant play for mot than a few missions. Its just that bad now that I have been spoiled with gta V.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

To me it feels the same way it always did. I don't let myself get blinded by new technologies. Each time I go back to Vice City I know exactly why I'm going there and what to expect.

I don't go there expecting to see real shadows, good looking PED models, realistic driving or a huge world. I got there expecting from it what it always was, a beautiful, stylish world that I can drive around in about a minute or two in my arcadish Infernus and I love it.

• himynameisdamien likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:41 PM Edited by Hodgey., 19 February 2014 - 02:31 AM.

That is something I totally forgot about until I read your post. I agree that they should make a return in the next GTA as it isnt a big thing but a little nod to the past and to GTA VC mainly.

• Miamivicecity likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

I think that Vice City certainly does feel different today but I don't think it feels bad at all, maybe just 'cartoony' compared to it's successors as SonOfLiberty said. I still enjoy every moment of playing that game.

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Thug

• Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:17 AM Edited by im_stoned, 10 February 2014 - 02:02 PM.

I JUST TURNED ON MY PS2 I'M SO EXCITED I DIDN'T TURN IT ON ONCE IN 2013 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO f*ckING PUMPED I CAN'T HELP BUT YELL

the opening theme is playing right now......... i'm feeling nostalgia not only for vice city but my ps2 I missed it so much. It still works its the only ps2 I ever bought ok !!!!! I have already owned 2 Xbox 360's........... think about that  

EDIT : The game just loaded. I'm at my favourite safe house ( the one at vice point) and my first thoughts are..... It doesn't look that bad.

I just ran around for like 30 seconds and it really sinks in how far these games have come. Anyway I turned the brightness all the way up and it looks a lot better almost like a new game :) I can see myself playing this game now. don't get me wrong its a huge adjustment but it doesn't feel unplayable kinda like V.C.S when I gave that a try back in 2012 keep in mind I hadn't played it or a ps2 games in a long time before that so it was a mix of shock and horror. Keep in mind v.c.s never had the greatest graphics so of course age is going to hurt it

Edit: man that's as frustrating as it gets. I kept failing the ju ju scramble mission so i was getting agitated by that then the game freezes. Now I've got to do a bunch to missions again because I didn't save it :( that really killed the vibe I was back in vice and loving it then this happens......

drr26
  • drr26

But I'm a f*cking raspberry!

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

I am playing it again, the last few days and most likely 2mo. I love it the same as when it came out. Even though the problem I have is I'm getting a worse standard of playing it (maybe due to getting older?) I fail well too easy missions!

This game is brilliant for what it is.

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

every time I try to replay an old gta I remember the nostalgia and the original feelings I got when I first played it, but it never comes. Just enjoy it for what it is. For whats it's worth I think GTA 4 will be the last truly great GTA game. The way rockstar f*cked with the normal one protaganist thing and forgot to develop the story or character in GTA 5 made me realise every game from now on is going to try to re-define the definition of videogame by enforcing these concepts that don't work. I miss the old, tried and tested mechanics of a GTA. 

Urban Legend
  • Urban Legend

No, f*ck no.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

Each game has some classic challenges that kinda never get old... Vice City has some great checkpoint missions and such. Destruction derby and PCJ Playground come to my mind. As a personal plug I believe I hold the world record of PCJ Playground at 47 or so seconds barely edging out Vasil72 - he's a boss!

Sorry to hear you can't get into Vice City much nowadays. It's better than watching CJ's slow ass run around!

ViceBoy69
  • ViceBoy69

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

Just had to add a classic pedestrian quote from ViceCity " I tried taking my pants off over my head"

or "Are you the doctor?" or perhaps " I just came back from the doctor and im clean"

• gnfnrhead likes this

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:30 AM

Vice City was impressive for it's time, but with San Andreas, IV, V and the portable games, we've already gotten used to the GTA formula.

That, and nostalgia.  And the fact that we grow up.

Blastoise1994
  • Blastoise1994

TFW I actually am your scooter brother

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:15 AM

My only real complaint with VC is that it feels so small now, I actually really admire the watercolor look.

Gaitux
  • Gaitux

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

Every game at the time when it is released feels AMAZING AND HAS SUPER GRAPHICS but about 7 years later goes crap and we all hate it. GTA IV was the top game back when it came out - the best that graphics could get to - now I feel like there is a big difference, so a few years from now - GTA V will feel horrible.

• gnfnrhead likes this

JeffreyDahmer
  • JeffreyDahmer

Dan Houser Is God

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:27 AM

the only thing i don't like about it is the gun Combat it can get Really Irritating to say the least but other than that i don't think it feels to bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users