Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should Rockstar go back to the classics?

6 replies to this topic

Poll: Classics, Indies, both, or neither? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Rockstar use classic songs or keep using unknown artists?

1. Classics! (10 votes [37.04%])

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

2. Indie (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Both -- more classics (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

4. Both -- more indies (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

5. Both -- equal distribution (8 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

6. Neither -- add modern-day, mainstream music (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote
DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

I, along with most of the gaming world, am absolutely in love with GTA V and consider it the best GTA to date. However, if there is one thing that severely disappointed me, it's the soundtrack. Sure -- there are some good songs on there. Some great songs -- but unfortunately, most of them are pretty meh, ESPECIALLY on the rock side.

Now, in my opinion, this is due to Rockstar picking out lesser known acts for the music instead of the old classics we heard in both San Andreas and Vice City, and even in III. I don't particularly think that indie music sucks, it's just that when you compare even decent music to old classics, they look pretty sh*tty in comparison. That's more or less what they did with both IV and V -- break tradition and grab lesser-known acts.

The fact that Rockstar does this is pretty damn good from an artistic perspective. I mean, why pick out Bon Jovi and give them more fame when they're already proven and loved? Why not give the little guy a chance to get some action? This transcends into the actors as well. Would anyone honestly have known who Ogg, Luke, and Solo were if they weren't in V? Would anyone take note of their amazing talent? I mean, Ned Luke alone is now one of my favorite actors; I love his acting and the feel he gives his characters.

But is the impact the same with music? Do you find yourself listening to some amazing tracks you would have never found otherwise? Is it worth not having the proven classics? Or do you think that actors and music are apples and oranges, and think that an actor's appeal is more universal?

In short: for the next GTA project, would you prefer if Rockstar went the way of Vice City and San Andreas or IV and V, or maybe a combination of both?

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

Speaking as an electronic aficionado, they were sorely lacking in the underground department for electronic music.  They all mostly had lyrics which ruin tracks for the most part.  The techno is NOT techno, soulwax has mainstream sounds and is can't be listened to on a regular basis.

They needed more classics, I remember San Andreas when "Horse with no name" would come on.  I miss those days.

Thisnamehasnotbeentaken
  • Thisnamehasnotbeentaken

Prankster

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:43 AM

Rock music and dance music was sorely lacking in GTA V, I mean it was really REALLY bad. The only redeeming thing about the whole soundtrack was west coast classics and non-stop fm with some brilliant tunes from my childhood.

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

I understand why people feel that the soundtrack is lacking, personally I'd say that the station I probably like the less would be Fly Lo FM, but I'm somebody who's bothered by most types of music. , thus I don't think my opinion would be representative.

I'd say that you've hit the nail right on the head by saying that this allows for lesser known artists to be exposed, though. I do belive classics still have their place in the game, the soundtrack shouldn't only consist of them. After hearing Welcome to the Jungle so much, I started wincing whenever it came on.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

With GTA now no longer being a timed Playstation exclusive, the days where they had almost unlimited access to all music licenced under Sony Music are gone. The fact that the last two GTA games have been set in the present day, they've had to include a bit more modern music, with the popular stuff being too expensive (the reason classic rock and 80's stations are always the better ones). Had they made another GTA set in the past, we would probably see more well known songs included.

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

They should keep doing what they wanna do, it's their game. I think they have the perfect balance of classics and lesser known music in V. I don't wanna hear songs I've already heard a million times, I'd prefer Rockstar introduce me to underground music and expand my musical horizons (they're great at doing this)

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:05 AM

I think it was more to do with the person who was in charge of the music in GTA V. They just didn't know what they were doing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users