175 replies to this topic
GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

You guys are too damn impatient. All this while you complained about not being to change your names and now that the feature has been made available, you're complaining about the wait being too long. I'm pretty sure if we allow name changes twice a year, you'll be back here within a couple of weeks saying six months is too long.

The current restrictions are absolutely fine. I don't see any reason to change them for members who have been here for less than a year, irrespective of whether or not they had an account before.

This. Stop ranting AceKingston. It's fair enough. They can't make exceptions for you. The community rules clearly state that you're not allowed to make demands.

I was ranting? That's news to me, also I've gone through the rules more than you have thank you very much.

One rule from the Policy Impact made in 2004 was quite simply:

• No flaming (Antagonistic, slanderous, racist, or sexist comments will not be tolerated)

Claiming ArchKnight hasn't read the rules as much as you have sounds to me as if you are criticizing/going against him as a member and the posts he has made - this is considered Antagonistic. Sometimes its best to keep opinions to yourself :^:

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

I think the current rules are fine. There should be no exceptions made for anyone even if they're here 69 years, after all this is a large forum and if people were changing names say twice per year it would be madness. One year is probably already madness for those who are uncertain about their internet personality, lol.

I'll probably never use it, but it's nice to see the name changes back and more "public".

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Stupidest idea ever.

Nobody is going to know who anyone is anymore, and people will just steal someone elses previous name and it will just confuse everything to sh*ts.

The forum has been ruined since the update anyway so who gives a f*ck may as well thrust your knob into the VCR even further at this point.

• Adriaan, WildBrick142 and android like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

Stupidest idea ever.

Nobody is going to know who anyone is anymore, and people will just steal someone elses previous name and it will just confuse everything to sh*ts.

The forum has been ruined since the update anyway so who gives a f*ck may as well thrust your knob into the VCR even further at this point.

Or people could follow my glorious example and put their old name as the custom member title for a while until everyone else gets used to the new name.

• Rown likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

Thanks for putting everyone's hissyfits in perspective, Daz!

Also, pretty stoked to change my name to -=0^^#£=-

...'Ottae' was taken :(
  • Rown likes this

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:21 AM

Oh yeah, to add, I just want to get anything with Sleepy but remove the 187. and add/do something else.

Just fyi, Sleepy sounds more sh*ttier than Sleepy187.

Oh, and I'm a 2013 member too, hi-five.

android
  • android

Something witty, something sh*tty

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:12 AM

I'm not trying to start this all up again.

but I do agree with what that one member said about the rules. I believe he/she said something like "Change it now, wait 365 days, change it again". It kinda sucks to wait a while, I've had a former account that I switched from, so I kinda regret that.

aye though, don't complain. Rules are rules, right?

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

Maybe if you stick to your original account you wouldn't need to wait.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

I have no issue with someone needing a name change to either remove redundant characters from their username, shorten it, or simply change it to something that they are more frequently known as, but just a random change to whatever they want I think is stupid. You should have seriously thought about what username you wanted to begin with, and sure some people could have been annoying 12 year olds when they joined 10 years ago, but I think most of those people have already had their names changed.

One lifetime change should be enough, but I think it needs to be thoroughly reviewed by staff before hand, and no control of it given to the user.

I feel bad for all those poor bastards that had to create new accounts back in the day.

• Adriaan likes this

android
  • android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

Maybe if you stick to your original account you wouldn't need to wait.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was complaining.. but I wasn't.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

Oh yeah, to add, I just want to get anything with Sleepy but remove the 187. and add/do something else.

Just fyi, Sleepy sounds more sh*ttier than Sleepy187.

Oh, and I'm a 2013 member too, hi-five.

lol. :) "Sleepy" only is taken anyway, I'm trying to figure something else to add with it.

When the time comes. ^_^

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

You should have seriously thought about what username you wanted to begin with, and sure some people could have been annoying 12 year olds when they joined 10 years ago, but I think most of those people have already had their names changed.

Harley'03 4LYF

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Ace, if the staff make an exception for you then they will have to make an exception for others. Just need to wait bro.. AceKingston isn't a bad enough name that you need to be sad about.. just wait it out.

As for others that made new accounts and are a bit upset.. shouldn't have made a new account. It's simple as that.. I know some of you are young and have the name like 'ComicReader02934809' .. but you made the account, not the Forums nor the staff, so you can't hold them accountable.

@WildBrick, I'm sure if some made a typo with the name change that a staff member would be generous enough to fix it for you. Just watch your keys as you type and before you submit. ;)

• Spider-Vice likes this

Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:05 PM Edited by Trevor Phillips Enterprise, 15 October 2013 - 02:27 PM.

Muhahaha. Snatched up an awesome username. Trevor Philips Enterprise, bitch!

I don't suppose it can be ammended to Philips instead of Phillips? Made a silly typing error. :(

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Muhahaha. Snatched up an awesome username. Trevor Philips Enterprise, bitch!

I don't suppose it can be ammended to Philips instead of Phillips? Made a silly typing error. :(

I'm afraid it's already in use: http://gtaforums.com...ips-enterprise/

NSanityHD
  • NSanityHD

Hello everyone! Name name is Kyle.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

Finally it is announced!

What in the heck has this world come to?! GTAForums ALLOWING name changes?! This is sorcery!

I'll be tempted to give a verbal commendation to whoever does the worst name change. I'll be looking out for candidates.

Really don't like the sound of this... unsure.png

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

I noticed that even if you change your username, the old name still appears in the userlist. For example, Rewas514 still appears as COOLMAN12234555896 when looking at the userlist. And The Odyssey appeared as thegtaman531 in the userlist the last time he was active. Is this subject to change, or is it final?

I actually wonder the same thing. Anyone that can answer?

Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

I can only sign in with my old Wreckless Jake username, when I try to sign in as Trevor Phillips Enterprise it says incorrect username/password!

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

I can only sign in with my old Wreckless Jake username, when I try to sign in as Trevor Phillips Enterprise it says incorrect username/password!

That's how it's supposed to be, if you read some of the first posts. IPB has a difference between Log In and Display names.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

I noticed that even if you change your username, the old name still appears in the userlist. For example, Rewas514 still appears as COOLMAN12234555896 when looking at the userlist. And The Odyssey appeared as thegtaman531 in the userlist the last time he was active. Is this subject to change, or is it final?

The changes are only made to your 'display name', not your primary account name. 

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

The changes are only made to your 'display name', not your primary account name. 

Well, yea, but can't the display name be used to be displayed on the userlist and 'users reading this topic/forum' list?

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Gone Fishin'

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

Well, yea, but can't the display name be used to be displayed on the userlist and 'users reading this topic/forum' list?

Not at the moment. It might be something we can tackle through a mod to the forum software, but stock IPB uses your login name for the "users online" list.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

Is there a way to view a members name history so I know who they used to be. Took me forever to realize that DTU changed his name

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

Well personally, I think it's a good idea to limit username changes to once per year. Infact, if I were in charge of this cyber zoo, it would be every two years, as it's already a pain in the baws trying to work out who's who.

I haven't changed my name yet (can't be arsed - besides, I love my highly unique and original username), but if I were to, then I'd at least put my former name in my title or sig until the more active chaps got familiar with my new christening.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

Is there a way to view a members name history so I know who they used to be. Took me forever to realize that DTU changed his name

Go to their profile and click "Display name history".

• Rown likes this

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:02 AM

Go to their profile and click "Display name history".

Thanks man...dur

android
  • android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:30 AM

Wait, DTU changed his name?

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

Yeah, he changed it to Tank some years back. He was just using his old account.  :ph34r:

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

I'll be tempted to give a verbal commendation to whoever does the worst name change. I'll be looking out for candidates.

Do I win the prize?

• Matty likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:23 PM Edited by AceKingston, 17 October 2013 - 12:28 PM.

I don't even need to use the 'Display Name History' I can tell who the guy is by just looking at their avatar.

For instance, the guy above me is OnePiece and I nominate his username for the prize. :^:

TFR (OnePiece) needs four more nominations for the prize. 1/5 so far.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users