[Announcement] Update to Name Change Policy

175 replies to this topic
Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

AceKingston, it hasn't been over six months. And if I recall, you regretted making a new account like the next day. If the staff makes an exception for you, what are they supposed to do when you change your mind again?

• josepha916 likes this

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

You mean on a fair basis for you?

If you chose a decent name you wouldn't need to change it twice a year.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

I've nothing against changing the name every 365 days, but why should I wait until July before I can change my name? Why not let me change it now and wait the 365 days.

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

As I said before, you chose your name less than a year ago, so now you're basically in that year period before you can change your name again.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

But WHY? Why should we, 2013ers wait?

Why can't they give us at least an application or something that entitles us to a namechange?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

AceKingston, it hasn't been over six months. And if I recall, you regretted making a new account like the next day. If the staff makes an exception for you, what are they supposed to do when you change your mind again?

I'm pretty sure I won't change my name again, because I've already been thinking for months about my new name. I just didn't think enough when I chose this one. And yeah it's been only five months.

You mean on a fair basis for you?

If you chose a decent name you wouldn't need to change it twice a year.

Well then how about it this way:

Change your username once in 6 months. Newly registered members have to wait for only 6 months.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Oh yeah, to add, I just want to get anything with Sleepy but remove the 187. and add/do something else.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

I'm pretty sure* I won't change my name again, because I've already been thinking for months about my new name. I just didn't think enough when I chose this one. And yeah it's been only five months.

*lol

What name did you want to change to?

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

Looks like I'm not the only one unhappy with the deadline, could the admins remove it, please?

I still don't get it how it is fair for members who have been registered for a year to change their forum names, and the rest of the legit members who have been here for under a year not, this is unfair for f*cks' sake.

@Above: Oh, look, a member who has been here for more than a year and thinks he's entitled to it, guess what, some of us are 2013s.

This has nothing to do with it, you chose a name, then stick with it. at least until the 365 days are over. its not like removing the '187' in your name will change your experience in here drastically. i dont see anything to whine about.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

You guys are too damn impatient. All this while you complained about not being to change your names and now that the feature has been made available, you're complaining about the wait being too long. I'm pretty sure if we allow name changes twice a year, you'll be back here within a couple of weeks saying six months is too long.

The current restrictions are absolutely fine. I don't see any reason to change them for members who have been here for less than a year, irrespective of whether or not they had an account before.

• josepha916 likes this

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:47 AM Edited by Sleepy187., 14 October 2013 - 11:48 AM.

Lol, "complained about not being to change your names, and now that the feature has been made available, you're complaining"..

Then I go to settings.. I see this.. "You cannot change your display name until 05 July 2014 - 07:01 PM"

Why? Why can't I do it just now? Why do I have to wait until July next year? That's what annoys me.

Some people can change and some don't, if you introduce the system then introduce it so everyone can use it, not a part yeah and a part no.

if you see no reason, then that's your own choice, but I should have the right to change it as any member here, I'm not a troll nor am I here to screw around..

As for the other person, yes, the 187. in my name pisses me off.

I've never seen so many double standards as I've seen on this forum.

Pathetic.

• Android likes this

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Then leave and find yourself another forum that will allow you to change your name as soon as you join. With the kind of fit that you're throwing around over a name change begs the question... how old are you, 12? How hard is to understand that we have to put restrictions in place to avoid the feature being abused. Don't come in here asking for exceptions to be made because you're not special. Everyone who has been here for less than a year has to wait and so do you. Deal with it.

• Ryan, Matty, Boris The Vodka and 3 others like this

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:02 PM Edited by Sleepy187., 14 October 2013 - 12:15 PM.

I expected a better system than waiting (for me personally) until July 2014 to change my damn name, at first it was staff only and now it's people who have been here for more than a year? How is that fair, mind explaining? Because you're doing a bad job at explaining.

Read carefully, I DON'T MIND if I change my name NOW, and have to wait 365 days, I mind that I have to wait until July 2014 just because you couldn't find a better system to do it.

Perhaps change it so that people who have been here for more than two-three months to be able to change it? You know, find a better point than a whole year?

Oh and your assumption of me being 12 just because I'm against this feature is pathetic, really pathetic, just so you know.

Edit: Anyway, to make this my last post, now let's say Girish, if you were to protest against something in real life, does that make you a 12 year old child? See my point in your useless question?

I appreciate all the hard work admins/mods are doing and such, but think about this one, don't treat members like crap.

Oh and I've been here since December 2012, January 2013. (under a diff account).

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:17 PM Edited by Ottae, 14 October 2013 - 12:19 PM.

The only thing I find pathetic is how much of a hissy fit you're throwing because you can't remove 3 characters from your username on an internet forum.

This is the bottom line: You can choose a new display name every 365 days. On the 5th July 2013 you decided to call yourself Sleepy187. so if you were to change your name less than 365 days after you chose your existing name, it wouldn't be fair on the people that have also just changed their name and have to wait 365 days in order to change it again.

Oh also, let's put this in perspective. You're going to have to wait 1 year to change your name. There are members here that have had to wait for 3-4 years since name changes were stopped. Quit whining.

EDIT: How is this treating members like crap when before today it was impossible to change your username and now there's a possibility, given the right parameters?

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

Probably I will change my name as a whole, what I said about three characters is an option.

Whatever, I'm done, it's clear that you guys will never be able to comply with other people's requests and will always act high and mighty.

I'd love to see you as a 2013er who wants to change his forum name.

Good bye.

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Probably I will change my name as a whole, what I said about three characters is an option.

Whatever, I'm done, it's clear that you guys will never be able to comply with other people's requests and will always act high and mighty.

I'd love to see you as a 2013er who wants to change his forum name.

Good bye.

The forums will comply, on the 5th of July 2014 when you've been here a year

Fortunately I never had that problem as I was satisfied with my name when I first chose it. If, however, I was a 2013er, I'd have to wait like every other 2013er and I'd understand that.

• Matty likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

I'm pretty sure* I won't change my name again, because I've already been thinking for months about my new name. I just didn't think enough when I chose this one. And yeah it's been only five months.

*lol

What name did you want to change to?

Vercetti42 or something else, but I'm planning on using Vercetti42.

I guess I'll just wait then. The PC version of GTA V would have already been confirmed by then, so I won't really bother about this anyways. :)

OFWGKTADGAFLLBBLSBFBN
  • OFWGKTADGAFLLBBLSBFBN

F*ck Odd Future

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

But I want to change my name to OFWGKTADGAFLLBBGWKPBSFSOFPRYKW­TFWA.  :cry: 

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Well, I kinda botched my name change. I was trying to change it to my real first name and I had to use a different "s" letter because the name was taken. That didn't go so well.

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

Midnight Wanderer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

You guys are too damn impatient. All this while you complained about not being to change your names and now that the feature has been made available, you're complaining about the wait being too long. I'm pretty sure if we allow name changes twice a year, you'll be back here within a couple of weeks saying six months is too long.

The current restrictions are absolutely fine. I don't see any reason to change them for members who have been here for less than a year, irrespective of whether or not they had an account before.

This. Stop ranting AceKingston. It's fair enough. They can't make exceptions for you. The community rules clearly state that you're not allowed to make demands.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

My question is, will changing your name also change your post history? (e.g. My almost 900 posts revert to 0 upon a change). I heard that this was being tossed around a few months ago, and not too adament on the change if it means it will take me almost 2 more years to reach 1000 posts.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:32 PM Edited by Andreaz1, 14 October 2013 - 03:34 PM.

No. Look at the profiles of the people who have changed their names so far. Tsuroki (Andy) still has over 10,000 posts and Cristian (_____) has over 2,000. They've both kept their old post count.

Well, I kinda botched my name change. I was trying to change it to my real first name and I had to use a different "s" letter because the name was taken. That didn't go so well.

Interesting, at least now it looks unique though. :p It also looks normal where the name is written in a smaller font it seems.

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Gone Fishin'

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

My question is, will changing your name also change your post history? (e.g. My almost 900 posts revert to 0 upon a change). I heard that this was being tossed around a few months ago, and not too adament on the change if it means it will take me almost 2 more years to reach 1000 posts.

You'll keep your post history. The display name is just for aesthetics; it doesn't affect your account. (With the new version of IPB, there's a difference between the "display name" and "login name".)

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

Midnight Wanderer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

The IPB display name is pretty similar to Simple Machines. I hate that to be honest.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:03 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 14 October 2013 - 04:04 PM.

I noticed that even if you change your username, the old name still appears in the userlist. For example, Rewas514 still appears as COOLMAN12234555896 when looking at the userlist. And The Odyssey appeared as thegtaman531 in the userlist the last time he was active. Is this subject to change, or is it final?

That's why it is the best to change the name through inspect element at first to see how it looks like if you are going to use fancy letters.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

Boss

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

I like the once every year rule. And Ace, have you been here a year? I remember seeing your join date for your old account around November?

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:20 PM Edited by GTAKid667, 14 October 2013 - 04:27 PM.

Hmm Do I keep my name or not? F*ck, you got me all thinking now

No, No I will not

Nice Change btw :^:

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

This. Stop ranting AceKingston. It's fair enough. They can't make exceptions for you. The community rules clearly state that you're not allowed to make demands.

I was ranting? That's news to me, also I've gone through the rules more than you have thank you very much.

I like the once every year rule. And Ace, have you been here a year? I remember seeing your join date for your old account around November?

July 7th, not November.

Either way I already stated that I'll wait for another 7 months.

Kalvin.
  • Kalvin.

--------------

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:05 PM Edited by Kalvin., 14 October 2013 - 05:09 PM.

Too bad I can't change my name, I was wanting to change ManDog to "Kalvin" when name changes came but I got hacked and banned, ah well - atleast people who've been wanting to change their name for a long time can do so now! :)

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

I think it would be nice to change name twice a year. Just in case the first one messes up or something.

I'm not gonna be changing my name, just leaving my 2 cents.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users