[Announcement] Update to Name Change Policy

175 replies to this topic
Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Gone Fishin'

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

** This thread is for discussing the Name Change Policy update.

Hi folks,

We've updated the name change policy for GTAForums!

Effective immediately, users who have been registered for more than a year (365 days) will be able to manually change their display name. This change can be made once every 365 days.

We're limiting the change to once every 365 days to mitigate abuse and avoid confusion. Consider the change carefully before you make it!

You can change your display name on the Display Name page in your User CP area: http://gtaforums.com...rea=displayname

(You can see name change history for other users by viewing their profile page.)

For those of you who have been around for a while, you'll know that this has been a long time coming.  :) Name changes have been one of the most requested features for the last several years.

If you have issues with your name change, or any general feedback, please keep it contained to this thread. Thank you!

• Rown likes this

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

I'll be tempted to give a verbal commendation to whoever does the worst name change. I'll be looking out for candidates.

SHarm
  • SHarm

Reincarnation of Tommy Vercetti

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

Can you change my name from SHarm to Sharm

Makes a big difference

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

Can you change my name from SHarm to Sharm

Makes a big difference

Did you read what was said? Name changes are done by you, once a year. You need to wait a year before you get to change it. Since you only been here for a week, you might as well ask if you can just make a completely new account.

Also, not happy about this 1 name change per year. Kinda hoped to have around 3, so I could change my name for Halloween and Christmas, and then change it back to whatever my normal name would be. Then again, at least we have the option to change our names again, so I am thankful for that. So thanks Staff.

Methical
  • Methical

Gramps

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:07 AM

Is it possible to clean up old inactive accounts?

I've used Methical where ever I go on forums/accounts on the interwebs. And use methodunderg when Methical has been used.

The Methical account on this Forum is over 10 years old, and I do believe it may have been mine; but can't remember any account details.

I would like to switch my display name to this, but can't because of a 10 year inactive account. Can something be done about this?

Spoiler

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:07 AM

Cheers guys, all I needed to do anyway was to capitalize a letter. 

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I see nothing but good things for you my boy.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:15 AM Edited by AceKingston, 14 October 2013 - 02:52 AM.

A request to the admins, can you guys please enable the manual change feature for me, specially? Because I've been here for much more than a year and I created a new account 6 months back (which is a long time), so can you guys just enable it for me? :)

I know I made a big mistake with this new account, so yeah.

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:47 AM Edited by DTUMan, 14 October 2013 - 02:50 AM.

Cool, I've been wanting to change my name. However, when I click on the link in the OP, it tells me that I don't have permission to change my name for some reason.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:58 AM

Knife should change his name to Fork now.

• TJGM and Ciaran like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

Knife should change his name to Fork now.

:lol:

But yeah any news on whether the admins are considering my request?

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

That's cool! There is one thing, though... The name "Andreas" has been taken by an account that was registered almost a decade ago and it doesn't have a single post, either. Is there anything that could be done about it? :)

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:58 AM

That's cool! There is one thing, though... The name "Andreas" has been taken by an account that was registered almost a decade ago and it doesn't have a single post, either. Is there anything that could be done about it? :)

You could change it to 'Andrea$', that's what you have on Skype. It's also pretty unique.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

Unfortunately, characters like $ are not permitted when changing the display name.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

Great, so I need to wait until July next year to get rid of my stupid name? Whatevs. Nice feature I guess...

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

A request to the admins, can you guys please enable the manual change feature for me, specially? Because I've been here for much more than a year and I created a new account 6 months back (which is a long time), so can you guys just enable it for me? :)

You'll have to live with it for the time being. If we make an exception for one member, everyone with a newer account would come clamouring to us for an exception to be made in their case too because they had an account before.

Unfortunately, characters like $ are not permitted when changing the display name.

If a name is taken (even by an inactive account), you'll have to choose a different display name.

Rewas514
  • Rewas514

Derp™

• The Yardies
  • Lithuania
  • Best Snapmatic [Scenery] 2013

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:24 AM Edited by Rewas514, 14 October 2013 - 07:29 AM.

I finally got rid of those random numbers. It took me exactly 3 years and 2 months, but it was worth the wait. :)

• Rown likes this

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Have you driven a Ford... Lately?

• Feroci Racing
  • Australia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

Can us users have it so if another User has changed there name we can choose which one is displayed for us, for example, going by the user above me 'Girish', if they changed there name to 'hsiriG' (Girish backwards), can I select it so when I see hsiriG's account or posts it will instead say Girish or another previous name that I know them better as.

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

If a name is taken (even by an inactive account), you'll have to choose a different display name.

Is it not possible to have an admin/mod change the name of an inactive account to something else, to allow someone else who is active to claim it? I'm mainly talking about accounts with 0 to 30 posts. People with such low number of posts are extremely unlikely to come back. And even if they do come back, chances are they make a new account, since they forgot that old one even existed, or forgot the password and don't use that email they used for registering anymore.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

And what about the off-chance that they do come back? We can't go around changing usernames at will. This was discussed before on the older forum and turned down. You're also forgetting how many accounts will have to be changed because there will always be someone who would want to use a name that is already in use by an inactive account. Too much work for the admins.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

You'll have to live with it for the time being. If we make an exception for one member, everyone with a newer account would come clamouring to us for an exception to be made in their case too because they had an account before.

Well that sucks for me I guess. However why 1 year though, I know I'm asking too much here but how about 6 months? I know the logic here (which is a good one) is that new members won't need name changes but I feel that a year is just a bit too long.

Android
  • Android

Think Differently™

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

It seems we all just have to wait :( 

Kinda sucks.. I would have loved to change my username atm.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

It's not fair, you know? For us legit members to wait like one damn year until we can change our name.

If you're going to make the system at least make it right for the legit users.

I just wanna change a little bit of my God damned forum name. :/ Is it too much that we ask for?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

Looks like I'm not the only one unhappy with the deadline, could the admins remove it, please?

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

No one told you to go and make new accounts.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:33 AM Edited by Sleepy187., 14 October 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Looks like I'm not the only one unhappy with the deadline, could the admins remove it, please?

I still don't get it how it is fair for members who have been registered for a year to change their forum names, and the rest of the legit members who have been here for under a year not, this is unfair for f*cks' sake.

@Above: Oh, look, a member who has been here for more than a year and thinks he's entitled to it, guess what, some of us are 2013s.

• Android likes this

Jack...
  • Jack...

Wanted Level modifications

• Feroci Racing
  • Serbia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:34 AM Edited by Jack..., 14 October 2013 - 01:51 PM.

Finally! I was begining to wonder that this day will never come. Thank you administrators :santa:. Just one more thing... Will the gtagarage administrators do the same?

EDIT: Sorry, I should've known that the moderators are also gtagarage administrators :p. So when can we expect that the name change take place on the gtagarage profile?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:35 AM Edited by AceKingston, 14 October 2013 - 09:40 AM.

I still don't get it how it is fair for members who have been registered for a year to change their forum names, and the rest of the legit members who have been here for under a year not, this is unfair for f*cks' sake.

@Above: Oh, look, a member who has been here for more than a year and thinks he's entitled to it, guess what, some of us are 2013s.

I don't think it has anything to do with being legit or not, the logic is just that new members are less likely to change their usernames. Either way 1 year is way too long, it should either be shortened to 6 or 3 or completely removed.

@Majestic81: I made a stupid mistake with this account and let's face it we all make mistakes and it has been over 6 months.

E: And a bug I found, when you see how many members are viewing the sub-forum or topic, it still shows their old usernames.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

At least let us 2013rs make an application to request a name-change or something, jees.

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:41 AM Edited by Ottae, 14 October 2013 - 09:43 AM.

Back when name changes were allowed and performed manually by staff the rule was that you had to be here a year, so this is carried on from then.

The logic is that you're only allowed 1 name change per year and when registering you chose your name you wanted to use. So if you're not happy with the name you chose, you have to wait a year before you can change it again because everyone else has had to wait that long once they've decided on their new name.

Maybe it'll make people think more carefully when deciding on a name!

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:45 AM Edited by AceKingston, 14 October 2013 - 09:49 AM.

Back when name changes were allowed and performed manually by staff the rule was that you had to be here a year, so this is carried on from then.

The logic is that you're only allowed 1 name change per year and when registering you chose your name you wanted to use. So if you're not happy with the name you chose, you have to wait a year before you can change it again because everyone else has had to wait that long once they've decided on their new name.

Maybe it'll make people think more carefully when deciding on a name!

If it has to be on a fair basis, then increase the name changes per year to 2 for older members and members who have been here less than a year can only change their name once. (Seeing as they created a new account), that would be a much better idea IMO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users