Photo

If you let your kids play GTA you're horrible parent

325 replies to this topic
ThePeskyCrow
  • ThePeskyCrow

:v

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

I bet many of you started playing GTA at a young age, so get off your high horses, hypocritical grown ups. It was fine for me to play GTA III at age 10 but now it's child abuse is the vibe you give off. I've met annoying kids in multiplayer but also very annoying and stupid adults, mute them, kill them, or change server...

Actually, I started out with Mario Bros, homie. My mom would have never let me play something this realistic with such graphic content. Also, I was about 20 when GTA 3 came out.

Good try, though, sport.

Your Just One Person Muhahahah >:U

boberson01
  • boberson01

Snitch

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:51 AM Edited by boberson01, 13 October 2013 - 05:53 AM.

I think it just depends on if the kid understands its a game and if he has morals and so on. I started gaming at a VERY young age and I finally started getting into violent and gory games later on when I got my hands on Resident Evil 2 when I was maybe 9 or 10. Very soon after I got into GTA. I was NEVER affected by this in terms of behavior in real life or anything. So you can blame parents as they do buy the games at that age, but if they see the kid as being able to handle the game then I don't see it as a problem really. All depends on case by case situations and can be argued both ways with the argument of "videogames causing violence." That's my own two cents speaking from my own life.

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:53 AM Edited by GTALegion, 13 October 2013 - 05:53 AM.

I think it just depends on if the kid understands its a game and if he has morals and so on. I started gaming at a VERY young age and I started getting into violent and gory games when I got my hands on Resident Evil 2 and I was maybe 9 or 10. Very soon after I got into GTA. I was NEVER affected by this in terms of behavior in real life or anything. So you can blame parents as they do buy the games at that age, but if they see the kid as being able to handle the game then I don't see it as a problem really. All depends on case by case situations and can be argued both ways with the argument of "videogames causing violence." That's my own two cents speaking from my own life.

Let me ask you this.... would your parents have been cool with you shouting "f*ck you, you f*cking ni**er ass fa**ot!" over and over? Would they be cool with you shooting a person's dead body over and over while cackling like a madman?

If so, I hate to break it to you, but they were bad parents.

ToyGT_one
  • ToyGT_one

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

Glad i am not like those kids that you mention it (when i was young, and by that i mean i am not an annoying kid) also I know what is right and what is wrong to do at that time when i was playing games like gta vice city....etc. My dad at that time was caring about me.

007_eleven
  • 007_eleven

The 80's are never over!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

I bet many of you started playing GTA at a young age, so get off your high horses, hypocritical grown ups. It was fine for me to play GTA III at age 10 but now it's child abuse is the vibe you give off. I've met annoying kids in multiplayer but also very annoying and stupid adults, mute them, kill them, or change server...

Actually, I started out with Mario Bros, homie. My mom would have never let me play something this realistic with such graphic content. Also, I was about 20 when GTA 3 came out.

Good try, though, sport.

Ok, you're older than me. Can you drop the condescending tone now? I started playing video games with Pokémon, not exactly bad parenting either, and I understood GTA was a video game, not real, and any behaviours displayed in it were purely for entertainment purposes.

If your kid is going around yelling racial and homophobic slurs over the internet then a parent needs to give them a good beating/talking to, I wouldn't blame that on GTA but rather letting your kid intake everything from society and not teaching them morals or standards of behaviour.

Just pointing out that besides you, many of the people complaining about kids on GTA were infact children when they started playing. Everyone here doesn't like listening to rude children over the mic, that's a failure of parenting overall not brought on by playing GTA.

For reference i'm nearly 18 and am a courteous player who doesn't abuse others over the mic and doesn't grief others deliberately.

neato9611
  • neato9611

Trick

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:54 AM

I've played GTA since I was around 8 when III came out. I watched R rated movies since I don't even know what age. But I was always mature for my age & could handle things like that. Most kids cant.

Same here. I've been playing violent games and watching violent movies since I can remember. I do shoot guns regularly, but only recreationally. I'm actually going through nursing school now after quitting criminal justice because my state started downsizing its State Police.

Blazin510
  • Blazin510

tired of crybabies

• Members

To be honest, there isn't many games or movies out now a days that doesn't have violence, sex, or drugs. sh*t my little niece who just turned 4 can watch the whole season of walking dead without crying or even scared and can go to bed at night....when I was her age watching something like that would've gave me nightmares. Still remember watching the first the ring movie around the age of 10-12 around those parts...I didnt look or go near a TV for months
  • lolzz19 likes this

SpaceRobot
  • SpaceRobot

Robot From Space

• Members

I think it just depends on if the kid understands its a game and if he has morals and so on. I started gaming at a VERY young age and I started getting into violent and gory games when I got my hands on Resident Evil 2 and I was maybe 9 or 10. Very soon after I got into GTA. I was NEVER affected by this in terms of behavior in real life or anything. So you can blame parents as they do buy the games at that age, but if they see the kid as being able to handle the game then I don't see it as a problem really. All depends on case by case situations and can be argued both ways with the argument of "videogames causing violence." That's my own two cents speaking from my own life.

I completely agree. However, this doesn't bring the drug use and nudity into the discussion. I always played violent games, but my parents wouldn't let me play Leisure Suit Larry. There are some adult themes that children shouldn't be exposed to at a young age.

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

Good try, though, sport.

Ok, you're older than me. Can you drop the condescending tone now? I started playing video games with Pokémon, not exactly bad parenting either, and I understood GTA was a video game, not real, and any behaviours displayed in it were purely for entertainment purposes.

If your kid is going around yelling racial and homophobic slurs over the internet then a parent needs to give them a good beating/talking to, I wouldn't blame that on GTA but rather letting your kid intake everything from society and not teaching them morals or standards of behaviour.

Just pointing out that besides you, many of the people complaining about kids on GTA were infact children when they started playing. Everyone here doesn't like listening to rude children over the mic, that's a failure of parenting overall not brought on by playing GTA.

For reference i'm nearly 18 and am a courteous player who doesn't abuse others over the mic and doesn't grief others deliberately.

Didn't really mean to come off as condecending. My bad.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming GTA in any way or singling it out. I've had the same experience in other online games. I was merely pointing out GTA's graphic depictions of nudity, violence, etc as a barometer for how parents either don't know or don't care about the games they play.

BlackeyGRAM
  • BlackeyGRAM

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

Ive experienced this so many times. Just wait until you hear one of them on the mic robbing a 24/7 and using racial slurs.....

Sooo true. One kid was robbing a liquor and screaming "Hurry up you sand n.gger!" It felt so good to blow his brains out as he was fleeing the store

SpaceRobot
  • SpaceRobot

Robot From Space

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

Good try, though, sport.

This.^

If your kid is yelling curse words and racial slurs, that is definitely on the parent. Don't blame the games on that.

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:58 AM Edited by GTALegion, 13 October 2013 - 05:59 AM.

Ive experienced this so many times. Just wait until you hear one of them on the mic robbing a 24/7 and using racial slurs.....

Sooo true. One kid was robbing a liquor and screaming "Hurry up you sand n.gger!" It felt so good to blow his brains out as he was fleeing the store

It's redonk. I heard one kid, no joke, shout "f*ck you, you f*cking fa**ot-ass ni**er!" over and over for about a minute until I muted him.

I would seriously kick my kids ass (not literally of course) for something like that.

M210F
  • M210F

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

I was playing rated M games at 11-12, as were most of us here, so don't pretend it's about age- it's about parenting and maturity. The majority of us were fine because our parents actually bothered to teach us right from wrong (ex.,  being white and shouting 'nigg(er/a)' is generally accepted to be bad). I also was courteous enough not to use a mic whenever I played online, and whenever I used a mic it was to either talk with friends or literally anything else but squeal about how "evwywun shuud stuhp kiwwing me!" or squeaking out racial slurs.

LzInFaMouSzL
  • LzInFaMouSzL

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

Not all of us are morons. I am 14 and I not only don't have a mic, I don't "grief" either. Don't lump us all together. That is like saying everyone of a certain ethnicity is exactly the same.

You at 14 should not be playing this, are not allowed to be playing it, and even if your parents said it's ok it is a total disgrace.

You're the same guy who made a thread complaining about CIGARETTE BUTTS on your apartment floor, you cannot talk about maturity.

The dude is a definition of a HIPPIE MOTHERf*ckER!

OneFlaw
  • OneFlaw

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:04 AM

This whole thread is full of sh*t, my 6 year old plays GTA, Saints Row and he mostly just drives around and shooting cops etc, He knows It's a game. A Bad parent is one that Allows this and does not remind him that It's just a game. My son does not see Nudity in the games or any sex acts, other than that we let him play. Also to those so called "Concerned Individuals" My Son does not have anger Issues and he does good in School. He knows right from wrong.

OP has no Idea what he is talking about. My son also see's scary movies. Most people who think Children should be shielded from Scary movies, loud music and bloody games are usually non-parents and/or Christians.

Atheist parent here bud. Try again.

And by try again, I mean try again to be a good parent, because right now? You suck.

explain? see I'm not the one acting like I know everything.

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:04 AM

I was playing rated M games at 11-12, as were most of us here, so don't pretend it's about age- it's about parenting and maturity. The majority of us were fine because our parents actually bothered to teach us right from wrong (ex.,  being white and shouting 'nigg(er/a)' is generally accepted to be bad). I also was courteous enough not to use a mic whenever I played online, and whenever I used a mic it was to either talk with friends or literally anything else but squeal about how "evwywun shuud stuhp kiwwing me!" or squeaking out racial slurs.

That's fair enough, but the parents of the kids shouting "f*ck you, ni**er fa**ot bitch" and the like are terrible at their jobs.

buddybravo
  • buddybravo

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:06 AM

I played a lot of games when I was younger and I always knew the difference between right and wrong. Most kids do.

007_eleven
  • 007_eleven

The 80's are never over!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

So the main points that fuel this topic are:

Has GTA become more inappropriate for children since you played?

And

Online play, having your behaviours affect other people.

I'll let you guys voice your opinions but if I was a parent of a child being 10-12 i'd play whatever GTA exists in the future first and decide whether I wanted them exposed to that. Some stuff in V would be a no-no, mainly the drug use and very erotic lap dances.

And not sure how a kid would learn certain derogatory terms from me but if they started screaming them over a mic they'd have no more GTA and a good talking to as to why such things are not appropriate.
  • M210F and SpaceRobot like this

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

Most people who think Children should be shielded from Scary movies, loud music and bloody games are usually non-parents and/or Christians.

And by try again, I mean try again to be a good parent, because right now? You suck.

I thought I did.

And I'm fine with older kids playing, if they're mature and have discussed the subjects of violence, videogames, and such with parents.

JeRicHoOL
  • JeRicHoOL

God of Aesthetics

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

So most of our parents are bad parents then?! Because I'm pretty sure everyone remembers when we were young that we played rated games aswell (fighting games, war games, etc.). The problem is not parents allowing their kids to play such games. These loud mouthed douchebag kids we are talking about lack parental love, family activities and education. Some of us were annoying too back then but the difference is that now we already proceeded growing up. They yet have to reach the point where we are now. Once they reach it they will realize how stupid and embarrassing their behaviour was as kids.

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

"The chickens are plotting..."

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [Advice with girlfriends]

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

I've played GTA since the second one, (though I hated the top down era), and at around 13 years old, gta 3 came out. I played the crap out of if, and especially vice city, but I was one of those socially introverted kids that sat quietly and flew planes/ roleplayed / did stunts.

SpaceRobot
  • SpaceRobot

Robot From Space

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

So the main points that fuel this topic are:

Has GTA become more inappropriate for children since you played?

And

Online play, having your behaviours affect other people.

I'll let you guys voice your opinions but if I was a parent of a child being 10-12 i'd play whatever GTA exists in the future first and decide whether I wanted them exposed to that. Some stuff in V would be a no-no, mainly the drug use and very erotic lap dances.

And not sure how a kid would learn certain derogatory terms from me but if they started screaming them over a mic they'd have no more GTA and a good talking to as to why such things are not appropriate.

Absolutely correct.

/thread

OneFlaw
  • OneFlaw

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

Most people who think Children should be shielded from Scary movies, loud music and bloody games are usually non-parents and/or Christians.

I thought I did.

And I'm fine with older kids playing, if they're mature and have discussed the subjects of violence, videogames, and such with parents.

You did not explain, you said "you suck". that's not explaining anything.

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

I thought I did.

Oh, I thought you meant the athiest parent thing. My bad.

You suck because you let an extremely impressionable 6 year old play these games.

A 6 year old has neither the cognative function, nor moral ability to discern wright from wrong on an acceptable enough level for these activities.

At least, in my opinion.

FloatinWalrus
  • FloatinWalrus

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

this isnt 1993 anymore.  Every kid has access to the internet.  A video game isnt going to do sh*t to them in comparison.

OneFlaw
  • OneFlaw

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

I thought I did.

You suck because you let an extremely impressionable 6 year old play these games.

A 6 year old has neither the cognative function, nor moral ability to discern wright from wrong on an acceptable enough level for these activities.

At least, in my opinion.

I agree to disagree. I'm a parent first not a participant. I don't let public views dictate my parenting. As I said, he knows right from wrong, he knows not to steal, hurt, kill etc. You saying children cannot know this is as you said "your opinion".

chh2tx
  • chh2tx

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:15 AM Edited by chh2tx, 13 October 2013 - 06:16 AM.

While I wouldnt let my kid play at the age I've seen some, coworker letting 6 year old play, I do realize there are parents who teach good values and morals and let their kids play under some supervision and there are parents who don't teach at all letting their kids make the rules and it usually is pretty well evident when we meet those youth online or in RL.

Its all a reflection on the parenting and guidance from youth. I was allowed to see and do things that the law/FCC etc said I shouldn't, but it was heavily supervised and my behavior both in game and in RL influenced whether I could continue. That guidance and discipline recieved when I misstepped kept me from being a jackass everywhere and the rest of my life. Looking back on it and around me now, I'm grateful for it.

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

I thought I did.

At least, in my opinion.

I agree to disagree. I'm a parent first not a participant. I don't let public views dictate my parenting. As I said, he knows right from wrong, he knows not to steal, hurt, kill etc. You saying children cannot know this is as you said "your opinion".

Perhaps, but how do you think CPS would react if they saw him playing this game?

boberson01
  • boberson01

Snitch

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

Another point to mention could be the fact we life in a different generation.  Back then we did not have the online chat we do now to the same extent and graphics and content. While there are points for both sides here, we should look at them with different standards or at least see that this is 2013. Even GTA then compared to now has changed A LOT, so one person like me could say "I grew up playing GTA" But given how different the game is now, can we really compare say GTA III to V? It should be looked at slightly differently when a kid NOW says "I am growing up playing GTA" I wouldn't say this is an argument for either side, just more of a point to be aware of.

GTA5 420
  • GTA5 420

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

Lol, gtfo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users