Photo

Life in the UK to the US

50 replies to this topic
Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

The little yellow f*ckers are the worst though. Always going around, doing their 'little people' things.

Racist twat, Chinese people are fine. Prick.

Chill bro, I'm not racist. One of my closest Chasian friends makes a mean chow mein. A much more indulging dish than our traditional local cuisine of sheeps intestines accompanied with a pint of vodka.

uzi 9mm
  • uzi 9mm

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:54 PM Edited by uzi 9mm, 22 October 2013 - 02:31 PM.

my brother wants to live in america, hes been there and back and now he just recently got a work visa and left the uk yesterday, he hates it here and apparently america really is the dream land compared to dull and grey england, but me having never been to the states, ive never left Europe, so it nice to here comments from FirstLadyofGTA who have lived in both countries and can compare.

even though i havent, from what ive heard, the main differences are size, USA is very big and spacious, the UK, well, isn't. all space is accounted for, nothing is wasted, even if you think you'd find parts of the countryside un-occupied you wouldnt, driving is also manic, and i only recently went to a Greek island and had a taste of driving on the right side of the road, and being a white van driver, i found even the small fiat panda took some getting used to, i am a pro tho...and within days i was driving up mountains like i'd done it all my life, but i can tell that a driver from the US driving in the uk will have a hard time adapting to not just driving on the left, but using what roads space there is, as it can be very tight, what with buses, HGV trucks and all on the main roads, which are narrow compared to american roads.

You are so right about the driving...driving in the cities are a nightmare for me.  The roads are so tiny and literally are the same size they were originally built for (horse and carriages).  When I *ahem* failed my first driving test which was mainly due to 'roundabouts' my examiner said it was a common problem for Americans which made me feel a little better but still sucked.  Driving over here is more complicated full stop, and the theory test is way more difficult and there are so many more rules to learn.  I truly believe if you can drive in the UK cities you can drive anywhere. :)

Yeah the roundabouts are what get most people, my brother failed his test at a roundabout, he hasnt even re-taken it yet, and the theory test is quite difficult, my gf has failed it 3 times now and is going for the 4th, i passed it on the second time, but is was 35 questions back then ( i think?), i did pass it in 2006, anyway, i passed the actual test 1st time which was a successful day for me!

What I hate is, because of the small roads and complex road system, and lack of alternative routes, if there's an accident it can cause traffic that will pretty much cause chaos at rush hour times, since the main roads are so small, even when 1 lane get's closed it will cause tailbacks, since every vehicle will have to use the only remaining lane.

Shyabang Shyabang
  • Shyabang Shyabang

Wild Thing

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:38 PM Edited by Shyabang Shyabang, 21 October 2013 - 09:39 PM.

I've wondered the same thing except in reverse. I've always pictured it as pretty much the same except for the differences obviously. Driving in the opposite side if the road. Everyone having an accent. And British cities are much more dense than American cities so I've always wondered what that would be like living in an old cramped city as opposed to a much less dense newer suburban area.

British cities have older structures. British people take it for granted, but you'd feel as if you went back in time. The feeling that you get with fairy tales and fantasy like Harry Potter or tales from Masterpiece (formerly known as Masterpiece Theatre) is what you get in the UK. Many American kids read old stories that they don't realize are from Europe. It's as if their childhood dreams become reality if they visit Europe, with the realization of where a deep part of their culture originally came from. Even the other Americans whose roots aren't European would feel that way.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:06 AM

im from england and i have never been to the States so i can not really comment but one thing i do know is they play/like really sh*tty Sports while we tend to like Play/like Good Sports. 

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:25 AM

im from england and i have never been to the States so i can not really comment but one thing i do know is they play/like really sh*tty Sports while we tend to like Play/like Good Sports. 

Soccer is terrible. Baseball/American Football is the best.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

so Terrible that the whole world plays it ;) How Many other Countries take Baseball and american Football Seriously? (hardly None) and Gridiron is pretty much just a slower paced Pussy Version Of Rugby and baseball is  just a sh*t REALLY slow Version Of Cricket. i tried watching it and i can honestly  say it was on of the most Boring/ Depressing moments of my life. 

BRITLAND
  • BRITLAND

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:23 PM Edited by BRITLAND, 23 October 2013 - 09:25 PM.

so Terrible that the whole world plays it ;) How Many other Countries take Baseball and american Football Seriously? (hardly None) and Gridiron is pretty much just a slower paced Pussy Version Of Rugby and baseball is  just a sh*t REALLY slow Version Of Cricket. i tried watching it and i can honestly  say it was on of the most Boring/ Depressing moments of my life. 
Quite a few play baseball, especially in Asia

I'm from the UK and I find baseball much more entertaining than cricket by miles, though a footy guy here I tend to enjoy American footy aswell even though it feels about like rugby & WWE blended together, basketball is also cool

By picks
1 - Football
2 - Basketball
3 - Rugby
4 - Baseball
5 - American Football
6 - Hockey

I really don't care about tennis & cricket, and though not a racing guy, NASCAR is more watchable than Formula 1 which is just unwatchable for me

America seem to have a more variety of sports, though my fav not so big at least they have MLS and can watch the footy over there easily during the afternoon
  • FirstLadyofGTA likes this

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

I live in the UK and have been to the US. Only a little bit of travelling was done though as I was only young and was visiting Disney World. At one point, on the way to our resort from the airport we ended up getting lost. We came to a base looking place where we saw few armed security personnel. Whilst finding the right way we also travelled through what seemed to be a ghetto. We also drove past a Hooters bar.

The only major differences between our two countries, I would say, is that we drive on a different side of the road and that there's an easier access to firearms in ten US than the UK, as well as firearms being used more (by authorities) in the US than the UK.

I'd also say that there's a larger black community in the US than the UK, whereas the UK has a larger Pakistani community (or so I reckon).

The little yellow f*ckers are the worst though. Always going around, doing their 'little people' things.

Racist twat, Chinese people are fine. Prick.

Chill bro, I'm not racist. One of my closest Chasian friends makes a mean chow mein. A much more indulging dish than our traditional local cuisine of sheeps intestines accompanied with a pint of vodka.
You seem to get more idiotic with every post (on GTAF in general).

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

^How so captain?

Have I offended you in some manner? I'm still trying to piece together exactly who you are, but judging by your username and avatar, I'm guessing somebody who feels my obviously apparent obnoxious posts in the V forum regarding the said forum-dedicated title being a personal favoured taste over San Andreas of mine, has somehow become an insult to you and your own preferred game in the series.

But in the off chance my sourceless, premature assessment is incorrect, could you possibly please care to elaborate on these "idiotic" posts of mine? Thank you.

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:47 AM Edited by Unoriginal Gangster, 24 October 2013 - 01:00 AM.

You clearly feel the need to put so much effort into looking into me and making your post less moronic than the majority of your previous ones, which proves my point. My point being that you are an idiot.

I guess the fact that you're being inconsiderately racist whilst using an avatar of Edward Norton's white supremacist character Derek Vinyard from American History X also proves that you are an idiot.

And on the topic of what makes you seem like an idiot, that username gives off quite an impression, doesn't it?

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

Niggas in the UK be like "Put your dukes up you bloody c*nt" / "Ello, mate" / "Carry on, old chap" / "Aye, lad, I'd like a cup'o tea"

And they all live in castles...

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:12 AM Edited by niko bellic half brother, 24 October 2013 - 02:05 AM.

@Unoriginal Gangster

Ok I submit. You made an extremely valid and case presenting point there. But please, do continue to educate, in the hopeful prospect that I cease to make any further mishaps of possible future username choice or avatar selection, You've shown me the light; now guide me to it...my beacon of social awakening.

AJ Lee
  • AJ Lee

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

Wrong as usual Vlynor.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

.I'd say the biggest difference is size, I imagine in America you'd feel more isolated, as you could quite easily live your life in 1 state, whereas in England you'll end up seeing other areas of the country in your life.

Demographically, I'd say the biggest difference is that where America has a huge Latino population, we have a huge South Asian population. Black people here also tend to be West Indian, often going back only 1 or 2 generations, whereas African Americans often go back for generations.

America has a huge gun culture, in turn Britain has a large knife culture. Britain also has a huge fighting culture which goes back centuries.

I'm sure it's the same in America, but in places like London and Birmingham, the urban slang can be almost incomprehensible to people not familiar. There are kids in the big cities who's slang is more similar to Jamaican Patois than English.

I'm not sure if America has them, but in Britain we have loads of Irish Gypsies, or Pikeys. These are without a doubt the most hated communities in the country, as nearly everyone views them as dishonest thieves. They're notorious for their bare knuckle boxing matches in the country side.

Britain has a huge rave culture, not what it was but I'd say it's still more popular than in America. Various drugs like MDMA and ketamine are hugely popular here because of that.

Americans seem to be obsessed with coffee, whereas the British seem to prefer tea.

We have no real wilderness like America, sure we have woods and stuff, but no where near on Americas scale.

A fairly British phenomenon seems to be postcode wars, these have died down now but a few years ago there was a craze of inner city teens stabbing and beating each other over their postcodes. Several kids died because they lived in a different estate from their attacker.

There's also a difference in our mentalities, Americans seem to be loud, in your face, confident and patriotic, whereas Brits are hard, grim, dry witted and reserved. 

These are just my observations.

Captain VXR
  • Captain VXR

Now Captain Lion.

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

.I'd say the biggest difference is size, I imagine in America you'd feel more isolated, as you could quite easily live your life in 1 state, whereas in England you'll end up seeing other areas of the country in your life.

Demographically, I'd say the biggest difference is that where America has a huge Latino population, we have a huge South Asian population. Black people here also tend to be West Indian, often going back only 1 or 2 generations, whereas African Americans often go back for generations.

America has a huge gun culture, in turn Britain has a large knife culture. Britain also has a huge fighting culture which goes back centuries.

I'm sure it's the same in America, but in places like London and Birmingham, the urban slang can be almost incomprehensible to people not familiar. There are kids in the big cities who's slang is more similar to Jamaican Patois than English.

I'm not sure if America has them, but in Britain we have loads of Irish Gypsies, or Pikeys. These are without a doubt the most hated communities in the country, as nearly everyone views them as dishonest thieves. They're notorious for their bare knuckle boxing matches in the country side.

Britain has a huge rave culture, not what it was but I'd say it's still more popular than in America. Various drugs like MDMA and ketamine are hugely popular here because of that.

Americans seem to be obsessed with coffee, whereas the British seem to prefer tea.

We have no real wilderness like America, sure we have woods and stuff, but no where near on Americas scale.

A fairly British phenomenon seems to be postcode wars, these have died down now but a few years ago there was a craze of inner city teens stabbing and beating each other over their postcodes. Several kids died because they lived in a different estate from their attacker.

There's also a difference in our mentalities, Americans seem to be loud, in your face, confident and patriotic, whereas Brits are hard, grim, dry witted and reserved. 

BA1 don't be caught slipping....

Postcode wars are retarded.

I'd say that the black British community is about a 50-50 mix of West Indian and African. I also feel that ethnic minorities tend to be more integrated in the UK than the USA.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Large influx of migration from Nigeria and Somalia in the last 5 years.

Captain VXR
  • Captain VXR

Now Captain Lion.

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Large influx of migration from Nigeria and Somalia in the last 5 years.

Quite a few Kenyans, Zimbabweans and Ghanaians too, I believe.

haythem09
  • haythem09

Honorbru Dispray

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

From what I've gathered there's more fat people. That's about it.

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:56 AM Edited by FirstLadyofGTA, 31 October 2013 - 11:58 AM.

I'd say that the black British community is about a 50-50 mix of West Indian and African. I also feel that ethnic minorities tend to be more integrated in the UK than the USA.

Well Captain...I disagree my good man.  I think the Asian communities in the UK as one example aren't as integrated as people think or would like and many still like to mix and marry with their own.  However it cuts both ways too.  Many whites will move out of an area when too many ethnic minorities start to settle and you get areas and schools where the majority of people there are from one ethnic minority (and then complain of ghettos forming).  East London is a good example.  We have a greater mix of minorities in the States and I think we do mix and integrate more than what happens here in the UK.  In my humble opinion.   Even if it is over romantic and not quite accurate, we were called the 'melting pot' for a reason.  :)

Captain VXR
  • Captain VXR

Now Captain Lion.

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

Well Captain...I disagree my good man.  I think the Asian communities in the UK as one example aren't as integrated as people think or would like and many still like to mix and marry with their own.  However it cuts both ways too.  Many whites will move out of an area when too many ethnic minorities start to settle and you get areas and schools where the majority of people there are from one ethnic minority (and then complain of ghettos forming).  East London is a good example.  We have a greater mix of minorities in the States and I think we do mix and integrate more than what happens here in the UK.  In my humble opinion.   Even if it is over romantic and not quite accurate, we were called the 'melting pot' for a reason.  :)

I've only spent a week in the USA (DC and Northern Virginia), however it felt much more segregated than anywhere I've been to in the UK - I remember seeing very few mixed race people or multiracial friendship groups. It's a massive stretch to describe East London as a ghetto compared to places like Detroit, Gary, SLA etc. Plus mixed race people are predicted to be the largest minority group in the UK by 2020 http://en.wikipedia....tish_Mixed-Race

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:59 PM Edited by FirstLadyofGTA, 31 October 2013 - 07:03 PM.

I've only spent a week in the USA (DC and Northern Virginia), however it felt much more segregated than anywhere I've been to in the UK - I remember seeing very few mixed race people or multiracial friendship groups. It's a massive stretch to describe East London as a ghetto compared to places like Detroit, Gary, SLA etc. Plus mixed race people are predicted to be the largest minority group in the UK by 2020 http://en.wikipedia....tish_Mixed-Race

In terms of mix race people as you say that's a different issue.  Besides last time I was home there was no such thing as mixed race as mixed race people (black and white) were ascribed to the black race as a part of the historical One drop rule. Black in the UK and Black in America is not the same thing.  Although things may have changed but I doubt it.  Also you misread my point.  I didn't say East London was a ghetto!  I said people complain (mainly the far right) of ghettos forming (like little ethnic pockets of minorities) in certain areas like in East London or Bradford.  East London is an example of that...whites complain of ethnic minorities not integrating but many have moved out to escape them so you get massive areas of one ethnic minority and this is often the result of recent immigration, not hundreds of years of it like in the U.S. or segregation.  As a matter of fact these are the areas that people like the EDL like to target.  You spent 1 week in the U.S. south and are entitled to your opinion.  I've been in the UK for over 10 years and I'm entitled to mine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users