Life in the UK to the US

50 replies to this topic
Rowlers
  • Rowlers

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

I'm English and I've always wondered what's life like living in the US. Is it different in any way?

• Prootaintonry likes this

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

I've wondered the same thing except in reverse. I've always pictured it as pretty much the same except for the differences obviously. Driving in the opposite side if the road. Everyone having an accent. And British cities are much more dense than American cities so I've always wondered what that would be like living in an old cramped city as opposed to a much less dense newer suburban area.

Captain VXR
  • Captain VXR

Now Captain Lion.

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:00 AM Edited by Captain VXR, 13 October 2013 - 01:00 AM.

I've wondered the same thing except in reverse. I've always pictured it as pretty much the same except for the differences obviously. Driving in the opposite side if the road. Everyone having an accent. And British cities are much more dense than American cities so I've always wondered what that would be like living in an old cramped city as opposed to a much less dense newer suburban area.

You people have accents too, and we drive on the correct side of the road aha. In some ways we have more freedom than you, and you have more than us. We're the more hardcore drinkers and you're the more hardcore stoners. We have less aggressive cops, but a bigger dick in power. Oh, and our street slang is better than yours'.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

At what point did I say either side of the road was "correct" and if there was a correct side if the road to drive in it would be the right side. Since virtually all countries in the world other than the UK and most of their former colonies drive on that side

Captain VXR
  • Captain VXR

Now Captain Lion.

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:19 AM

At what point did I say either side of the road was "correct" and if there was a correct side if the road to drive in it would be the right side. Since virtually all countries in the world other than the UK and most of their former colonies drive on that side

Chill out man, just a bit of banter. The USA is the country I most want to move to if I ever move abroad, and I already have designs set on doing a west coast road trip at some point.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

I wasn't trying to be confrontational lol I was just pointing out that no where in my post did I attempt to claim either side was the right side to drive on.

And that's awesome. I visited most if the western states in the summer of 2012 and I'm looking at costing the east cost next summer. What places on the west cost were you looking at exactly?

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:04 AM

I'd assume there'd be a difference in social standards.

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

I'd love to visit the US at some point.

lltowing0118.jpg

As a farmer I'd love to have a trip to some of the big farms and see how they do things differently to us.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

Probably not that different. Food and the swapping of the metric system are the only things I can think of off the top of my head. We also drive on the right side of the road, as opposed to the left. Definitely more Christians and bible belt hicks here in the US (see Mississippi, the dumbest state in the country). Oh, and a depressingly-high number of delusional "patriots" who would beat the sh*t out of you for telling them that we're not the greatest country in the world.

Captain VXR
  • Captain VXR

Now Captain Lion.

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

I wasn't trying to be confrontational lol I was just pointing out that no where in my post did I attempt to claim either side was the right side to drive on.

And that's awesome. I visited most if the western states in the summer of 2012 and I'm looking at costing the east cost next summer. What places on the west cost were you looking at exactly?

Tijuana to Vancouver BC via San Diego, LA, San Fransisco, Portland and Seattle. If it wasn't too much of a detour I'd wanna check out Monument Valley.

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:45 PM Edited by FirstLadyofGTA, 15 October 2013 - 04:55 PM.

I'm American and I live in the UK and it is very different.  But those differences aren't necessarily the huge ones that you recognize right away (accents for example)...it's the little things you pick up.  You can only really tell when you've been in one country for at least a year or more...that's when it starts and things will really affect you whether you're an American in Britain or a Brit in America.  Your language will change as well....I still have my American accent (which strangely man Brits like) but I say Brit/English words like... potato chips are now  'crisps'....sneakers become 'trainers' a cookie is a 'biscuit' and a biscuit is a 'scone'.... :)

GCSE/A levels vs. High School Diploma

College in America is University in Britain (where you do your A levels is college here)

We have many sports we embrace...Brits pretty much just care about Football..well that's what gets the most attention I believe over Rugby or Cricket IMO.

I think the American secondary school experience is more fun than what I've seen here.

America is still a country of many people of faith where I believe the UK is much more secular and atheist.

Brits are very cynical and this is one of the things I have learned and embraced being here...when I left America I was VERY naive.

Fish and Chips vs. Burger and fires...

a toilet in its own room separate from the sink and bathtub/shower...(I never saw that in the U.S.)  I could go on and on...I'm just having fun with some examples but there are some deeper cultural issues that differentiate the two also.

• MindCorrupt likes this

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'm Finnish and I've wondered how people live in both UK and US.

TheBlackProject
  • TheBlackProject

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:11 PM Edited by TheBlackProject, 15 October 2013 - 05:14 PM.

You can ask Zee.

• Mr.Scratch likes this

DoubleOGJohnson
  • DoubleOGJohnson

Playa

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

America is not an island, and you will never see the majority of your own country in your life time. Nine different cities with 1,000,000 people all over the map. And football is king with no other sport close to it, with the Super Bowl being the biggest sport event in American culture.

ROCKSTAR MANIC
  • ROCKSTAR MANIC

The Vice City Mamba

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

In ROCKSTAR"S words... "f*ck FOREIGNERS" :miranda:

Melchior
  • Melchior

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

It's actually a vastly different culture and society.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

I'm Finnish and I've wondered how people live in both UK and US.

I'm Australian and I'm planning to move to Finland and perform National service, I know i'm 22 but i've been in talks and they say I can still do it which is good

If I was to live anywhere else ever though, it would be America for sure.

MindCorrupt
  • MindCorrupt

iCorrupt

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:12 AM

Not sure what its like in the US, had planned a visit but your embassy rejected my holiday Visa. I have however semi moved to the UK from Australia. I've found the differences quite large considering Australia is a British colony still in the commonwealth.

The little things I've found was that how much better the shopping centres are here in the UK, they have 24 hour places where you can buy food and booze in the middle of the night. I've also been enjoying driving here, the UK is a lot lighter on casual speeding than in Aus, however the traffic is sometimes abysmal here especially around London.

I've also been enjoying how old he place in, it's amazing to walk into a pub that's over a century old with all the old wood finishings and real beer tap pumps whereas back home everything is quite new and lacks the heritage. The houses are a lot older though and a lot smaller, it was strange coming from a place where houses are the biggest in the world to here where a lot of people live in flats or rows. But it's also a lot cheaper to live, food and other products cost less, the only thing I've found that costs more (a lot more) is fuel. Here it is almost £1.40 a liter, which is almost a dollar more a liter than what we pay in Aus.

One of the biggest thing I've found different in my experience (other than the weather) so far is how disenchanted a lot of people in the UK have become about how their home is going whereas Australians are typically quite proud of their country and what it's become. Am enjoying here though, very homesick still however.

I know it's not the topic, but I thought I might add my 2 cents

M4RK
  • M4RK

Thug

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

play gta, its just like it

• Stig likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

@mr_ed

What are these 24 hour facilities that sell booze round the clock you speak of?

Also, it always intrigued me how the Yanks would adjust to the miserable existence here in sunny Scotland. I guess over time they'd probably mutate into the colossal alcoholic ogres just like the rest of us.

uzi 9mm
  • uzi 9mm

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

my brother wants to live in america, hes been there and back and now he just recently got a work visa and left the uk yesterday, he hates it here and apparently america really is the dream land compared to dull and grey england, but me having never been to the states, ive never left Europe, so it nice to here comments from FirstLadyofGTA who have lived in both countries and can compare.

even though i havent, from what ive heard, the main differences are size, USA is very big and spacious, the UK, well, isn't. all space is accounted for, nothing is wasted, even if you think you'd find parts of the countryside un-occupied you wouldnt, driving is also manic, and i only recently went to a Greek island and had a taste of driving on the right side of the road, and being a white van driver, i found even the small fiat panda took some getting used to, i am a pro tho...and within days i was driving up mountains like i'd done it all my life, but i can tell that a driver from the US driving in the uk will have a hard time adapting to not just driving on the left, but using what roads space there is, as it can be very tight, what with buses, HGV trucks and all on the main roads, which are narrow compared to american roads.

• FirstLadyofGTA likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

^Everytime I see your username I immediately think of Arnold Schwarzenegger in a gun shop.

MindCorrupt
  • MindCorrupt

iCorrupt

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

@mr_ed

What are these 24 hour facilities that sell booze round the clock you speak of?

Also, it always intrigued me how the Yanks would adjust to the miserable existence here in sunny Scotland. I guess over time they'd probably mutate into the colossal alcoholic ogres just like the rest of us.

Tesco Extra, unless they have restricted it later than ive been there?

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

my brother wants to live in america, hes been there and back and now he just recently got a work visa and left the uk yesterday, he hates it here and apparently america really is the dream land compared to dull and grey england, but me having never been to the states, ive never left Europe, so it nice to here comments from FirstLadyofGTA who have lived in both countries and can compare.

even though i havent, from what ive heard, the main differences are size, USA is very big and spacious, the UK, well, isn't. all space is accounted for, nothing is wasted, even if you think you'd find parts of the countryside un-occupied you wouldnt, driving is also manic, and i only recently went to a Greek island and had a taste of driving on the right side of the road, and being a white van driver, i found even the small fiat panda took some getting used to, i am a pro tho...and within days i was driving up mountains like i'd done it all my life, but i can tell that a driver from the US driving in the uk will have a hard time adapting to not just driving on the left, but using what roads space there is, as it can be very tight, what with buses, HGV trucks and all on the main roads, which are narrow compared to american roads.

You are so right about the driving...driving in the cities are a nightmare for me.  The roads are so tiny and literally are the same size they were originally built for (horse and carriages).  When I *ahem* failed my first driving test which was mainly due to 'roundabouts' my examiner said it was a common problem for Americans which made me feel a little better but still sucked.  Driving over here is more complicated full stop, and the theory test is way more difficult and there are so many more rules to learn.  I truly believe if you can drive in the UK cities you can drive anywhere. :)

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

Lord Protector

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Just like the US, the UK is full of ignorant, racist white pricks and the brown people they want to kick out.

Right guys?!

stu
  • stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

We wanna kick out some of the white people too. 

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

The little yellow f*ckers are the worst though. Always going around, doing their 'little people' things.

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

Just like the US, the UK is full of ignorant, racist white pricks and the brown people they want to kick out.

Right guys?!

pretty much LOL although the selection of brown is much more diverse in the U.S. GOD BLESS AMERICA DAMMIT!

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:24 PM Edited by GTA 360, 17 October 2013 - 08:25 PM.

my ... roads.

You are so right about the driving...driving in the cities are a nightmare for me.  The roads are so tiny and literally are the same size they were originally built for (horse and carriages).  When I *ahem* failed my first driving test which was mainly due to 'roundabouts' my examiner said it was a common problem for Americans which made me feel a little better but still sucked.  Driving over here is more complicated full stop, and the theory test is way more difficult and there are so many more rules to learn.  I truly believe if you can drive in the UK cities you can drive anywhere. :)

Ha ha, I'm british and I failed because of a roundabout. Passed second time though.

Right guys?!

Absolutely.

We wanna kick out some of the white people too. 

Na, it's not right to send them to other countries, we don't like it happening to ours so let's not do it to the others. Just send theirs back and shoot ours. Then we won't have a housing crisis, we won't have a shortage of jobs and won't be spending all of our tax money on the unemployed, the criminals and we will be able to afford better infrastructure etc. Vote GTA 360 for prime minister, you know it makes sense.

Rowlers
  • Rowlers

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

The little yellow f*ckers are the worst though. Always going around, doing their 'little people' things.

Racist twat, Chinese people are fine. Prick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users